Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm putting together a hasty outfit for an event, and am planning a somwhat loosely interpreted version of a Vault-Suit from Fallout.

I'd quite like to wear a pair of goggles with the outfit for shielding myself from the post-nuclear glare obviously, but I am rather short-sighted so need to wear glasses and (at the moment) can't wear contacts.

Whilst wearing goggles and glasses together is generally Not A Good Look, I was thinking that if I got a cheap pair of the kind of motorcycle goggles that can be worn over glasses and weathered them appropriately, then that might work? I figured that if I got these kind of goggles, I could wear them on my forehead some of the time, and if anyone actually points out I'm wearing glasses too, I can just put the goggles in place :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm putting together a hasty outfit for an event, and am planning a somwhat loosely interpreted version of a Vault-Suit from Fallout.

I'd quite like to wear a pair of goggles with the outfit for shielding myself from the post-nuclear glare obviously, but I am rather short-sighted so need to wear glasses and (at the moment) can't wear contacts.

Whilst wearing goggles and glasses together is generally Not A Good Look, I was thinking that if I got a cheap pair of the kind of motorcycle goggles that can be worn over glasses and weathered them appropriately, then that might work? I figured that if I got these kind of goggles, I could wear them on my forehead some of the time, and if anyone actually points out I'm wearing glasses too, I can just put the goggles in place :v:
You could also get goggles that are designed to go over glasses and modify /weather them.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
So if it's not obvious by my lack of posts, ACen is a complete wash for me, and with that is my costume plans. ColossalCon is the next one I will be at, but I'm on staff there, and won't have the time to pull the outfit out, especially since I just got my new job.

That being said, is anyone else going to be at Colossal? I'd love to do a meetup at one of those restaurants/bars at the Kalahari.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
I've made some progress on my metro cop helmet from HL2. It's still missing the filters on the front and the big collar, which are pretty important to its overall look.

(iPhone for scale)

The back

Side view

Actual game parts badly photoshopped in.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Please tell me you can make more for relatively cheap :negative:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Hey, Red Robin Hood! I mentioned it a long time ago but don't see it in the OP, so can you add JoAnn's Fashion Fusion magazine? It's $3.99 and has six 40-50% off coupons on the back. Ask for it at checkout/customer service. It comes out twice a year (spring, fall) and the coupons are good for six months at a time.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Hey, Red Robin Hood! I mentioned it a long time ago but don't see it in the OP, so can you add JoAnn's Fashion Fusion magazine? It's $3.99 and has six 40-50% off coupons on the back. Ask for it at checkout/customer service. It comes out twice a year (spring, fall) and the coupons are good for six months at a time.

Added!

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
One cosplay I plan on doing is Taskmaster from Marvel Comics, and one thing I was planning on doing differently than every other one I've seen is to try to make the mask two separate parts, like a regular skull. I have wire to make a guide, but what material would I use for the mask itself?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Mexican Sandwich posted:

One cosplay I plan on doing is Taskmaster from Marvel Comics, and one thing I was planning on doing differently than every other one I've seen is to try to make the mask two separate parts, like a regular skull. I have wire to make a guide, but what material would I use for the mask itself?

My suggestion would be to buy a plastic mask similar to this one and then using paper mache and claycrete and mold it up how you need it to look. Alternatively if you want a better fitting mask you can make a mold of your face using plaster cloth and then proceed as previously suggested.

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.
Anyone else in here heading off to Anime North in Toronto at the end of the month?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So I'm last-seconding going to Wizard World in Philly, and have decided to dive head-first into cosplay.

I plan on doing god-tier John from Homestuck, as well as this hammer:

This is my first-time ever making something from scratch. I have plenty of cardboard and live in Philly, so I have a lot of hobby stores around. Though I know nothing about the actual process.

I plan on doing paper-mâché. I'm not sure how to do the little hooks though, or where I could get a translucent ball/bowl thing for the red part. Any advice would be great.

Hopefully this is even feasible in the 22 days I have left until the con :ohdear:

e: Here's a good one of someone eles who made it, but I can't find the source

Kazy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 7, 2013

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

SmithKurosaki posted:

Anyone else in here heading off to Anime North in Toronto at the end of the month?

I wish I was but I lack foresight and I think it'd be too short notice at this point.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Kazy posted:

So I'm last-seconding going to Wizard World in Philly, and have decided to dive head-first into cosplay.

I plan on doing god-tier John from Homestuck, as well as this hammer:

This is my first-time ever making something from scratch. I have plenty of cardboard and live in Philly, so I have a lot of hobby stores around. Though I know nothing about the actual process.

I plan on doing paper-mâché. I'm not sure how to do the little hooks though, or where I could get a translucent ball/bowl thing for the red part. Any advice would be great.

Hopefully this is even feasible in the 22 days I have left until the con :ohdear:

e: Here's a good one of someone eles who made it, but I can't find the source

Hit up your local dollar store and look in the toy and kitchen sections for weird-shaped objects to use in the armature and/or a translucent bowl.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

fallin1 posted:

My suggestion would be to buy a plastic mask similar to this one and then using paper mache and claycrete and mold it up how you need it to look. Alternatively if you want a better fitting mask you can make a mold of your face using plaster cloth and then proceed as previously suggested.

That would work. I was thinking clay as something that would be more readily available (if it dries slowly), but papermache/plaster cloth would be more exact.

I was planning on having a top half and a separate lower jaw that moves as I talk, and I thought of two problems:
1. How to attach the lower half to the upper half without it falling apart,
2. Keeping the lower half moving with my jaw.

To solve problem 1, I was thinking of using some kind of peg mechanism so I'm not relying entirely on friction.

Then again, I'm more of an engineer than a costumer, so I'm not sure what is .

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I was planning on having a top half and a separate lower jaw that moves as I talk, and I thought of two problems:
1. How to attach the lower half to the upper half without it falling apart,
2. Keeping the lower half moving with my jaw.

To solve problem 1, I was thinking of using some kind of peg mechanism so I'm not relying entirely on friction.

Then again, I'm more of an engineer than a costumer, so I'm not sure what is .

You can buy a skull mask with a moving jaw to paint and modify, just not as cheap as a plain full-face mask.
http://www.amazon.com/Skull-Mask-with-Moving-Jaw/dp/B009NNMOI6/ref=pd_sbs_a_2

Or you might use a half mask for the face bones and make a custom-fit jaw out of a foam or cardboard and build it up with clay or paper mache, then spirit gum the finished jaw to your face and not attach it to the mask at all.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I know it seems odd to cite anything having to do with furries, but a lot of them make fursuits with moving jaws by attaching things to a very tight balaclava sort of thing, so if you attached the parts of the mask to that?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Are there any good places to ask around for getting a pepakura design done? I have fun putting the things together, but I can't actually create a design template to save my life. I don't mind paying a commission if the prices are reasonable, but I've got a helmet I want to try building and as far as I can tell nobody has a template available for it already.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
It probably depends on what it is. Some games are easier to rip models from than others.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Maybe try the RPF? Lots of folks over there do that kind of thing.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

Welp I started this last night, hopefully I can get everything finished by PAX. I know it is a long ways off but this is my first time doing a number of things that are needed for this project.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

Mecha Neko posted:

You can buy a skull mask with a moving jaw to paint and modify, just not as cheap as a plain full-face mask.
http://www.amazon.com/Skull-Mask-with-Moving-Jaw/dp/B009NNMOI6/ref=pd_sbs_a_2

Or you might use a half mask for the face bones and make a custom-fit jaw out of a foam or cardboard and build it up with clay or paper mache, then spirit gum the finished jaw to your face and not attach it to the mask at all.

I saw this in the related items, and it's similar to what cuntvalet was mentioning. So I think I have enough to go off of. If and when I make any progress, I'll put it here. Thanks!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

duros posted:

Welp I started this last night, hopefully I can get everything finished by PAX. I know it is a long ways off but this is my first time doing a number of things that are needed for this project.

Ooh can't wait to see it finished I am putting together something for PAX also though mostly fabric as it will be easier to fly with it. =)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mexican Sandwich posted:

you can get this skull mask http://www.poundland.co.uk/images/5280/original/skull-mask-silver.jpg VERY cheaply, I have one and it's rigid plastic and fairly thick with a chrome finish and cost £1. Buy two, dremel the lower jaw off on one and the upper half off the other and you'll have the two parts, and you can repaint or stain as necessary

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

In-progress shot of the hammer, coming along nicely :toot:

Pro tip for papier macheing that little crook in the middle: chopsticks!

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

duros posted:

Nice! I just ordered a Guy-Manuel helmet kit, and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Happily, I have a suitable leather jacket already, so it's just going to be chroming the helmet, and making the handplates. I figure getting something like airdry clay or something to sculpt them on the backs of my hands would be the easiest way. Gotta find suitable gloves for that too...

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

TwystNeko posted:

Nice! I just ordered a Guy-Manuel helmet kit, and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Happily, I have a suitable leather jacket already, so it's just going to be chroming the helmet, and making the handplates. I figure getting something like airdry clay or something to sculpt them on the backs of my hands would be the easiest way. Gotta find suitable gloves for that too...

I got my vac-pulled glove kit as well already, but yeah I would suggest making a mold of your hands in alginate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUo2wfsM1Q

That way you can sculpt freely on your new hand :)

evanstheone
Jul 4, 2010
I'm trying to figure out what I should go to Austin Comic Con as.

Either one of the Low Men or a Wolf from The Dark Tower.

A Wolf would be interesting to do as sort of a techno-organic thing

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*

duros posted:

I got my vac-pulled glove kit as well already, but yeah I would suggest making a mold of your hands in alginate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xUo2wfsM1Q

That way you can sculpt freely on your new hand :)

Where did you get the glove kit from? Volpin?

I'll try the alginate thing, but I'd like a backup incase I completely gently caress it up. :)

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

TwystNeko posted:

Where did you get the glove kit from? Volpin?

I'll try the alginate thing, but I'd like a backup incase I completely gently caress it up. :)

Yeah Volpin set of glove plates they are really high quality... but its gonna be a ton of sanding/cutting :(

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Beta Ray Bill mask is coming along.

I got plastic horse teeth from eBay!

http://i.imgur.com/uG9Eoue.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RpCC4sU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bPJvZ7M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mYtvuRb.jpg

I think I'm going to add more to the cheekbones. After that and a couple finishing touches I'm going to gesso the poo poo out if it

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

Flanker posted:

I got plastic horse teeth from eBay!

http://i.imgur.com/uG9Eoue.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RpCC4sU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bPJvZ7M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mYtvuRb.jpg

I think I'm going to add more to the cheekbones. After that and a couple finishing touches I'm going to gesso the poo poo out if it

Oh, wow, the protruding bones and tose teeth look GREAT!
A little more cheekbone would make it more dramatic, good call.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I needa bit of help with my cosplay. I'm going as gray fullbuster from the manga series fairy tail for anime north in toronto, and I don't really know how to do the tattoo.

I don't want to resort to using a sharpy and I would really like some advice on how to get decent looking fake tattoos. This has to go on my chest.

Here's the design

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Monaghan posted:

I needa bit of help with my cosplay. I'm going as gray fullbuster from the manga series fairy tail for anime north in toronto, and I don't really know how to do the tattoo.

You can get inkjet printable temporary tattoo paper. I'm not sure how well it works personally, but it has decent reviews.

You could also use gel pens, but you'd run into the same problem of having to trace it.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I would also go with the paper I used marker for Erza back in the day and drew it on myself... it was a mess to say the least. But I have seen the temp paper used before and it looks really good.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

As I thought, I'm too short for time and money to do anything fancy for A-Kon. I can't believe it's less than a month away now. I'm planning on tackling another League champion, Spellthief Lux, even though she's been cosplayed to death. I think I can bring it a step above the masses by doing some detailing and bringing it to life. I have a few questions before I get going on it! I have references below.

Test tubes: Does anyone have a good resource for some of those, preferably plastic/hard to break ones? It looks like the tubes are glowing in her official art. I've looked up a few individual submersible LEDs, but most of them are too big (1" or more wide). Are there any smaller ones I could use, submersible or not?

Staff: I think a bigger, bright LED would be best for the staff; I see people using orbs on the end but I think it's just supposed to glow. I'm thinking for the rest of the staff, I'll have to use paper mache or something to shape the ends and paper to cover the staff.

Cloak: My mom and I are going to work together to shape the edging, but I was curious what you guys would recommend for the decoration. I could hand stitch it, but I'm more of a drawing type than sewing. I'm afraid fabric paint would look cheesy and come off too easily. I'm looking for a decent cloak pattern currently, so if anyone knows of one, I'd love to take a look.

My favorite cosplay of this look I've seen, since it includes the edging details.

3D model from the game

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

broken pixel posted:

Test tubes: Does anyone have a good resource for some of those, preferably plastic/hard to break ones? It looks like the tubes are glowing in her official art. I've looked up a few individual submersible LEDs, but most of them are too big (1" or more wide). Are there any smaller ones I could use, submersible or not?
You can order plastic test tubes cheap from Amazon, or if you have any medical supply stores or university book/supply stores in your area it's a good bet you can find them there. I've heard of people cracking open glow sticks to use the innards for glowing props (Arkham Asylum Scarecrow), but I've never done it myself. I don't know how long the glow lasts, or visible it would be in a brightly-lit environment.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

broken pixel posted:

Pretty picture for a neat looking character

For the test tubes you could just use regular led's then use some fabric, or paper, or something to diffuse the light so it looks like its liquid. The bigger LEDs are more visible in daylight. Same thing for the staff.

The robe, I used Simplicity 5840 for my Jedi robe and it works pretty great. They've got a pattern for one with that little short over cape, which you could lengthen or shorten as needed. As for the design, a good fabric paint shouldn't come off, but if you're more comfortable drawing they make fabric paint pens.

If you want nice crisp edges you could make your own stencil too.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Flanker posted:

What material is that? Your mask looks plastic.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

Jet Ready Go posted:

What material is that? Your mask looks plastic.

It's Wonderflex. When you heat it up, it goes limp and becomes sticky, like duct tape. You can then shape it and when it cools it's very rigid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
So I have roughly two weeks left until Akon and I am just now thinking to really try and figure out a harness set up for Sylvanas. Got so carried away building it and getting LED's in it that I forgot to think out a harness. I have a mini rig that is comprised of elastic currently one elastic strap around each shoulder with a strap that goes from one to the other, I am thinking about adding an underbust tie for more support I want he rig to be as unseen as possible but I am just drawing a blank on anything other than elastic, does anyone else have an experience in making rigs like this? Any thoughts or insite would be awesome I will get some pictures of what I figure out last night as soon as I can. I am at least being smart enough to make it detachable from the harness for both packing and possibly upgrading the harness down the line.