Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

I still think Superman is the least interesting superhero ever

He's not even the most boring superhero with a movie released this decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Stare-Out posted:

The trailers don't seem all that bad and Michael Shannon owns in everything, but I still think Superman is the least interesting superhero ever and I don't get how a Superman movie always gets so much hoopla.

Superman is a character that needs a really good writer to work. With a good writer, you get things like Superman: Birthright and Red Son. With a bad writer, you get, well...

I'm not sure where this falls on that scale, to be honest.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lance Streetman posted:

Superman is a character that needs a really good writer to work. With a good writer, you get things like Superman: Birthright and Red Son. With a bad writer, you get, well...

Now this is a movie I'd see in a goddamn heartbeat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lance Streetman posted:

I love everything about whatever this is

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
His forearm is bigger than his bicep. :psyduck:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, common theme among Ohrai's posters...
- Make a triangular pile of people and things
- Light everything as if there's a harsh spotlight a hundred feet above
- Psychedelic colors to separate groups of people or things

At least is not a pile of traced pictures with only two,three colors clustered in a single space. I guess is the last point you make that makes me like them.

Barometer posted:

I just got this last week and I loved it.

I want this. I need this.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I love everything about whatever this is

That's from Superman: At Earth's End. An alt-universe story that also contains not one, but two clones of Hitler.

It's so awful it loops around and becomes awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AndyP posted:

That's from Superman: At Earth's End. An alt-universe story that also contains not one, but two clones of Hitler.

:stonk:

Well now Man of Steel is going to suck no matter how good it ends up being because it isn't this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Our grandfathers fought in World War II. We made this.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

All the promotional stuff is pretty cool, but the fact that they haven't shown us much of anything about what the movie will actually be like could go either way - it could either be an awesome movie or a complete disaster. I'm still apprehensive after Superman Returns.

What's it like to be wrong about everything? I'm actually still bitter that we're not getting another Bryan Singer Superman film. Superman Returns was fantastic.

edit: Also I'd been meaning to post this:

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 7, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

What's it like to be wrong about everything? I'm actually still bitter that we're not getting another Bryan Singer Superman film. Superman Returns was fantastic.

I'll admit, I only saw it once (when it came out in theaters), but I remember it being mediocre in almost every way and I don't remember any part of it that made me go "Wow, I need to watch this movie again at some point!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Superman Returns seems to be really popular with people who don't like Superman because it's a two and a half hour vindication that he's boring.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'll admit, I only saw it once (when it came out in theaters), but I remember it being mediocre in almost every way and I don't remember any part of it that made me go "Wow, I need to watch this movie again at some point!"

It's just been a touchy subject with me since it came out because most people were like "Duuuurrrrrr, people talked too much and Superman didn't punch enough things. Plus they did stuff that is different from the comic books!", but I loved the movie thought it was great that they both connected it to the Richard Donner films and did something fresh and original.

I'm not accusing you of this. I just hate that it became so fashionable to poo poo on the movie when it was not only very good, but quite successful.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Superman legitimately did not punch enough things in that movie and that's a very valid complaint. There was no showmanship or spectacle at all.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pure curiosity-- have you read any acclaimed Superman comics or imbibed Superman media outside of the 78 Donner movies and whatever Superman references crop up in other media you've consumed?

Because my problem isn't that people talked too much or that Superman didn't punch anything-- it's that the conversations were boring and the action sequences turgid, and connecting the flick to the Donner films was an albatross around its neck. The super-son could have been interesting but it was telegraphed in the most hamfisted Chekov's gun imaginable, and the movie wanted to keep the actual human character of Superman at arm's length the entire time.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
And the thing is the substance showcased by the lack of spectacle is questionable. At best it's material that's been tread in some of the better comics, at worst it's just a dumb story with too much nostalgia towards the old movies that a moviegoer that had never seen them might not have.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

I'm not accusing you of this. I just hate that it became so fashionable to poo poo on the movie when it was not only very good, but quite successful.

Was it really successful though? I'm not trying to twist your words or anything, just legitimately wondering. I remember there was a partnership with Pepsi so all their bottles and cans at the time had the Superman logo on 'em. But I honestly don't remember anyone I knew at the time saying they were going to see it or praising it after having seen it. And even since then, I don't think I've ever heard anyone praise that movie outside of recently in this thread. In fact, the only time I think I've heard anyone talk about that movie since it came out is every now and then it'll come up CD and get poo poo on.

edit: VVV Okay, I forgot about that line from Ted. That's one of the only times I've heard anything about it in the last few years, then.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 7, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CPL593H posted:

It was literally the closing joke of the movie Ted last year to say "Hey remember Superman Returns? Didn't it suck?"

It was also the first Superman movie in 20 years and coming on the heels of Batman Begins and the Raimi Spider-Man flicks which proudly announced "we're no longer making poo poo superhero movies." It would have been successful almost by default. If anything it was extremely unsuccessful in the long run since Time-Warner was unable to do anything with the franchise in cinemas for six years after it came out, whilst in the same time they got Nolan to do two insanely successful Batman sequels.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

penismightier posted:

Superman legitimately did not punch enough things in that movie and that's a very valid complaint. There was no showmanship or spectacle at all.

I'm tired of this forum's pro-punching things snobbery.

I thought Superman was pretty 'super' without having to punch a bad guy. The bullet to the eye, deflecting minigun rounds off his chest, etc. etc. Lifting the island is often disparaged by a lot of people who didn't enjoy that film, but I thought it was a fairly earnest attempt at showing Superman's strength and grit. The plane resuce is spectacular. The set-pieces featuring his casual acrobatics and power usage to save the city as it begins to implode were really great in that regard, I thought. I certainly wouldn't ever claim there was no spectacle, even if I can understand where someone who thinks that is coming from.

Spectacle doesn't have to involve wrasslin', I think is the sentiment behind mocking the perhaps nonexistant people who may or may not have whined about not enough punching.

EDIT: This is absolutely not the Man of Steel thread and I totally thought it was.

On that note, I actually liked the imagery in the Man of Steel poster that was the medium shot of Superman in handcuffs being led by a team of soldiers, but there's one trend around Returns marketing that I really hated:

These posters of entirely too close up shots of Superman flying. There's no sense of scale, splendour or motion, really. I think my DVD copy even had a similarly cloying and nauseating image on the cover. It's just too close and for no reason. It looks like someone just really didn't want to do the background.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 7, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Dan Didio posted:

I'm tired of this forum's pro-punching things snobbery.

This is the best sentence I've ever read in my life.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have read hundreds of Superman comics, watched him in more than a half-century's worth of media, played Superman 64, have Superman floor mats and a Superman steering wheel cover in my otherwise beat up and kind of lovely truck, have plans for a Superman tattoo, have read critical analysis of the character and his reflection of the immigrant experience, and one of my earliest memories involves "reading" a Superboy comic (and I mean a "Superman ad a boy" Superman comic) to my oldest brother by guessing at what the story was about based on the pictures. He found the story I created as a probably 4 year old so funny tears were streaming down his face. I didn't get what he thought was so funny.

I understand Superman. I understand him as a symbol, as a character, and as a creation of two Jewish kids from Canada.

I loved Superman Returns.

Don't assume because people liked it they don't "know" Superman. I know Superman here.

The movie ruled and I've explained why at great length many times. It connected with the Donner films, continued the themes of those movies, yet approached everything with a fresh and vibrant take. I may not think Bosworth was a great Lois Lane, but otherwise it's a great movie and I've watched it almost as many times as the Fleischer cartoons.

No, not the racist ones. The ones with dinosaurs and robots and poo poo.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

penismightier posted:

This is the best sentence I've ever read in my life.

Coming from the man who just said this:

Fat Lou posted:

I can't stop making gifs of Scott Adkins kicking people.

Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to this?

penismightier posted:

To looking at Scott Adkins kicking people? Yes!

You betrayed the code, mod. Of punch love.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AndyP posted:

Please tell me that one is a good hitler

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Frostwerks posted:

Please tell me that one is a good hitler

Sadly, no. They are both jerks.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Can't wait.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamnit.

Goddamnit.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dan Didio posted:

On that note, I actually liked the imagery in the Man of Steel poster that was the medium shot of Superman in handcuffs being led by a team of soldiers, but there's one trend around Returns marketing that I really hated:

These posters of entirely too close up shots of Superman flying. There's no sense of scale, splendour or motion, really. I think my DVD copy even had a similarly cloying and nauseating image on the cover. It's just too close and for no reason. It looks like someone just really didn't want to do the background.

Something like this is definitely preferable.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This poster makes absolutely no loving sense to me whatsoever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Geekboy posted:

I have read hundreds of Superman comics, watched him in more than a half-century's worth of media, played Superman 64, have Superman floor mats and a Superman steering wheel cover in my otherwise beat up and kind of lovely truck, have plans for a Superman tattoo, have read critical analysis of the character and his reflection of the immigrant experience, and one of my earliest memories involves "reading" a Superboy comic (and I mean a "Superman ad a boy" Superman comic) to my oldest brother by guessing at what the story was about based on the pictures. He found the story I created as a probably 4 year old so funny tears were streaming down his face. I didn't get what he thought was so funny.

I understand Superman. I understand him as a symbol, as a character, and as a creation of two Jewish kids from Canada.

I loved Superman Returns.

Don't assume because people liked it they don't "know" Superman. I know Superman here.

The movie ruled and I've explained why at great length many times. It connected with the Donner films, continued the themes of those movies, yet approached everything with a fresh and vibrant take. I may not think Bosworth was a great Lois Lane, but otherwise it's a great movie and I've watched it almost as many times as the Fleischer cartoons.

No, not the racist ones. The ones with dinosaurs and robots and poo poo.

You can relax. No one said you didn't know Superman. Your credibility is intact here. Your opinion is respected.

That said Superman Returns is a boring film that never should have been the comeback flick. Like 2003's Hulk it has some very interesting ideas and works as an experiment but I and many people thought it failed. For what it's worth though I never really liked the Donner flicks as much more than camp, and think that viewing Superman as a truly alien being is by far the most uninteresting of the worthwhile interpretations of him.

Dan Didio posted:

That's because the movie posters were just selling the idea of Superman returning. That was literally it. That was all the marketing for it ever was. "Hey remember Superman? He's back." That's where it began and that's where it ended. In hindsight I'm pretty glad it was that way since now Man of Steel's marketing actually has to work for its audience's attention.

Now that is the face of a man who is both horrified at what he does for a living and simultaneously daring anyone to call him out on it so he can respond with "but I make bank so suck it!"

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Forgall posted:

Sadly, no. They are both jerks.

God. I never saw that coming.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I appreciated the attempt to bridge between the modern era and the old Donner films in Superman Returns, but felt that the movie suffered as a result (especially Lex Luthor). That said, the scene where Superman makes his big public return slowly lowering the rescued jumbo jet into the middle of a baseball game was so perfect that I'll often watch the whole movie just to see that scene again.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Something like this is definitely preferable.

"No, no — the lens flare needs to be at least 3/4 of the overall print width. Longer!"

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Zack Snyder usually has better trailers than that. For instance, Sucker Punch: the trailer for that was loving insane and I was sure I had to see it. Then I saw it and it was stupid as hell.

I'll still go see this in theaters, but it's not like I'm counting down the days or anything.
The original Watchmen trailer with the Smashing Pumpkins b-side is one of the best trailers ever released. Snyder is hit or miss but he has style.

As for Man of Steel, it looks like the most "un-Snyder" movie he's made yet and I actually watched the Ga'Hoole movie. I'm not sure if he's changed/matured, or Nolan or the studio is having a bigger influence or what. I guess I haven't seen the actual movie yet.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slim Killington posted:

"No, no — the lens flare needs to be at least 3/4 of the overall print width. Longer!"

The recurring lens flare and other filmish imagery that they're putting everywhere owns.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

penismightier posted:

Superman racing a ball of fire to keep an energy plant from exploding, Superman flying through the city stopping people from being crushed by things, using his laser vision to vaporize a wall of broken glass, lifting a ship out of the water with one hand, lifting and throwing a continent (made of the stuff that kills him) into space. That's all spectacle. I'd go so far as to say that his feats of strength are grander than anything (save for going back in time several minutes) he does in the Donner films.

mind the walrus posted:

Pure curiosity-- have you read any acclaimed Superman comics or imbibed Superman media outside of the 78 Donner movies and whatever Superman references crop up in other media you've consumed?

Because my problem isn't that people talked too much or that Superman didn't punch anything-- it's that the conversations were boring and the action sequences turgid, and connecting the flick to the Donner films was an albatross around its neck. The super-son could have been interesting but it was telegraphed in the most hamfisted Chekov's gun imaginable, and the movie wanted to keep the actual human character of Superman at arm's length the entire time.

Yes. I'm one of those comic book reading guys.

Was it really successful though? I'm not trying to twist your words or anything, just legitimately wondering. I remember there was a partnership with Pepsi so all their bottles and cans at the time had the Superman logo on 'em. But I honestly don't remember anyone I knew at the time saying they were going to see it or praising it after having seen it. And even since then, I don't think I've ever heard anyone praise that movie outside of recently in this thread. In fact, the only time I think I've heard anyone talk about that movie since it came out is every now and then it'll come up CD and get poo poo on.

It's world wide gross was nearly 400 million dollars. Not exactly a flop.

Dude, we should totally make out.

I was at he video store the other day and saw copies of A Haunted House on the shelf. I was really surprised because I thought it hadn't even come to theaters yet.

And there's already a loving sequel.

mind the walrus posted:

That said Superman Returns is a boring film that never should have been the comeback flick. Like 2003's Hulk it has some very interesting ideas and works as an experiment but I and many people thought it failed. For what it's worth though I never really liked the Donner flicks as much more than camp, and think that viewing Superman as a truly alien being is by far the most uninteresting of the worthwhile interpretations of him.

I liked Hulk too.

But anyway a few other things, then I'm going to not talk about Superman Returns anymore because I don't want to further derail the thread. When I'm talking about the Donner Superman Films I'm refering to the first movie and the Donner cut of the second. The Richard Lester version of Superman II is lovely and I think that's where you getting "camp" from. The scenes on Krypton are some of my favorite alien planet stuff. It really and truly does look otherworldly in a way so few sci-fi films have managed to capture. Also, if you think the idea of Superman being truly alien is boring read All Star Superman it plays heavily on that theme and is the essential Superman story.

Now, all that said here's a proper post for this thread:

edit: I did not intend to make that cheesy rhyme.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 7, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Yes. I'm one of those comic book reading guys.

Ok, awesome. Didn't mean to be a dick about you knowing or not knowing your poo poo.

CPL593H posted:

Superman racing a ball of fire to keep an energy plant from exploding, Superman flying through the city stopping people from being crushed by things, using his laser vision to vaporize a wall of broken glass, lifting a ship out of the water with one hand, lifting and throwing a continent (made of the stuff that kills him) into space. That's all spectacle. I'd go so far as to say that his feats of strength are grander than anything (save for going back in time several minutes) he does in the Donner films.

But anyway a few other things, then I'm going to not talk about Superman Returns anymore because I don't want to further derail the thread. When I'm talking about the Donner Superman Films I'm refering to the first movie and the Donner cut of the second. The Richard Lester version of Superman II is lovely and I think that's where you getting "camp" from. The scenes on Krypton are some of my favorite alien planet stuff. It really and truly does look otherworldly in a way so few sci-fi films have managed to capture. Also, if you think the idea of Superman being truly alien is boring read All Star Superman it plays heavily on that theme and is the essential Superman story.

My absolute last thoughts on this:

- The problem was that the spectacle was simply an exhibition of his powers or saving generic civilians. There was no emotional reason to get worked up over it. That's a huge part of spectacle. Look at how the Avengers did it, since that's fresh in my mind-- every fight has a reason to happen and there's always at least two parties with more at stake than "their survival." The only action in Superman Returns that has this is when he lifts the island to stop Luthor, and the action is so abstracted that while it functions as a good climax it comes as a disappointment when you realize "oh... this is the final act isn't it?"

- I see plenty of camp in Donner's movie too. Now a lot of it can be excused as "for the time it was..." and I don't mean that dismissively, but watching it for the first time in 2002 I saw a lot of camp, and I grew up with the Burton/Schumacher Bat-flicks for god's sake. Teschmacher and her giant tits hanging out, Clark's radio play bumbling, Lois' obliviousness, Luthor's "I AM THE GREATEST MIND THAT WILL EVER LIVE!", the baby lifting the truck. It's camp as balls in a lot of places.

- Donner's Krypton was genuinely awesome, especially the wardrobe and mannerisms of the actors, although I hate that the "crystals people! CRYSTALS!" look permated so many other interpretations of Krypton. I just find it too "alien for the sake of alien." Computers do not exist in transparent crystals goddammit.

- I've read All-Star Superman and I'm surprised you consider Superman his most alien there. If anything he's extremely human, just very much in control of himself and fully embracing what his powers allow him to do. How on earth can you read the Smallville chapter and think the book was presenting him even half as detached from his humanity as Superman Returns did? He's a man who does unbelievably crazy poo poo whilst keeping his cool in every panel, but he's still unquestionably a man whose reactions vary and lets his emotions into his words.

The only thing Returns and All-Star have in common in this regard is that they don't actively make Superman a protagonist you can relate to due to their circumstances (i.e: their powers)--you have to recognize their humanity when you see it. The problem is I didn't feel Returns actually did that and actively kept its Superman at arm's length from everyone in his life, which is a HUGE mistake since Superman's ability to interact with others is a big part of what makes you realize that for all his hovering and weird powers he's still got a good Kansas man's heart and mind as the foundation of his identity. I left Superman Returns feeling that I learned nothing about this new Superman other than the fact that he was butthurt that Lois didn't wait for him and eager to put this tired Luthor business to bed. I put down All-Star feeling like I had met a decent but troubled man whose ability to keep up with the insane circumstances of his life was only rivaled by the love he had for it.

That's what has me pumped for Man of Steel. In the trailer alone we've seen that as a boy he was so freaked out by what he was that he was at risk of letting that identity consume him, and that eventually he is able to integrate it into himself and present an idealized foot forward towards Lois and humanity at large. This is based on three lines of dialogue we've seen. That honestly feels like more direct characterization than we got from Superman Returns.

- I'll concede that there are some interesting ideas presented about Returns via the death of an icon and the lack of relevance he and his villains have in a more complex post-WWII, post-Vietnam, post-Cold War, post-9/11 world. I just don't think they were intentional or make the film any more enjoyable.

-----

Now some on-topic content.

First up I have a weird unofficial .gif poster for Man of Steel. For all the praising I was doing just a paragraph ago, this is just how easy it is to take what's awesome about Superman and make it mawkish even with the best of intentions. I like the idea of animated posters and even like the way it takes Superman's flight and charts his literal arc from a farm in Kansas into a symbol in the sky... but the quote from the trailer in there is an egregious misstep:

I love how this takes the wonderful mystery of other Stargate posters I've seen and just smashes you in the face with EGYPT! It's a nice rendition of a pharoh's face, but much like the movie itself it totally undercuts the wonder of the Stargate premise by showing the viewer the same kind of image every kid gets in his Social Studies textbook in elementary school.

Still, once you see that the actor's names are all written on the bottom and how insanely detailed the drawing is you realize you have to be kind-of a dick to hate it. It's not the poster designer's fault that the movie left him this kind-of material to work with.

And lastly a minimalist poster I actually kind-of like:

Just using a bloodied cabin floor is a bit too lazy, but it's absolutely genius that the ending is given away by the tagline.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

mind the walrus posted:

Just using a bloodied cabin floor is a bit too lazy, but it's absolutely genius that the ending is given away by the tagline.

That is so far from the most interesting thing that happens in the third act of Cabin in the Woods it probably doesn't even count as a spoiler.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Coming from the man who just said this:

You betrayed the code, mod. Of punch love.

To be fair, kicks are far superior to punches.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I know the Wayans have actually been on tour for a while now, they've been playing ads for it on the radio for a couple months here.

That means most of the months between A Haunted House's release and now were impossible to be working on A Haunted House 2 in.

That means they must have already been working on the sequel before the movie came out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'm trying to wrack my brain around the timeline here. Didn't A Haunted House come out like, in January? And that says "March 28", which I assume means next year since it's been well past March for a while. So, they already made a poster for a movie that they're probably just now filming, will finish in a weekend, and will release next year.

I know stupid people are the target audience, but did they think by leaking this poster early they'd get dumbasses creaming their shorts way in advance of the film? "Oh boy, I can't wait until 'A Haunted House 2' comes out so I can toss money out of my fanny pack at the Wayanses!"

Hopefully, they released this poster so early that by the time the movie comes out their audience will have forgotten it ever existed. Please, anything, just make one Wayans Brothers parody bomb so maybe we'll never see this poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wouldn't the joke have been served better in that Haunted House poster if he had the exact pose and composition of the Devil Inside poster lady instead of just pulling a comedy face?

I didn't get the reference at all till I actively started asking myself "What in horror movies could a lip tattoo be parodying?", which took a few minutes.