Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ironsolid posted:

Ok, here's my rage post. I'm getting gently caress mad. Why in the hell is my Rarefy NPC missing from all locations? I'm at the part where I need to kill the white boss + dragon ghost, does he temporarily dissapear at this part? I need to upgrade my weapon, and he's eluding me!

Edit: Could have editted previous post, woops.
He'll always be in the Rest areas. The shortcut chambers are hit/miss. Once you clear BBI he'll always be at the entrance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Ironsolid posted:

Ok, here's my rage post. I'm getting gently caress mad. Why in the hell is my Rarefy NPC missing from all locations? I'm at the part where I need to kill the white boss + dragon ghost, does he temporarily dissapear at this part? I need to upgrade my weapon, and he's eluding me!

Edit: Could have editted previous post, woops.

If you've not beaten the Daimon once, he will only appear at The Arisen's Refuge and Warrior's Respite. After you beat Daimon, he appears near Olra, but he always randomly appears at the shortcuts as well.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

Rascyc posted:

He'll always be in the Rest areas. The shortcut chambers are hit/miss. Once you clear BBI he'll always be at the entrance though.

Lunethex posted:

If you've not beaten the Daimon once, he will only appear at The Arisen's Refuge and Warrior's Respite. After you beat Daimon, he appears near Olra, but he always randomly appears at the shortcuts as well.

Awesome and Awesome! Thanks guys

blackguy, as far as needing vessicant, looks like I need a Jewel of Antilight. -- Acquired, now to figure out what is needed for T3 of this Rooted Gloom E: Maleficent Heart x 4, should be fun!

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 7, 2013

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Lunethex posted:

The one at the tower though, is a Dire Wyvern, and it takes weeks to respawn compared to the others. After you beat the Bitterblack boss once, then you'll encounter a lot more dragons, and going to Duskmoon Tower and the Fallen City are your best ways of fighting Wyverns, specifically, they're all Dire Wyverns.

You can get normal Wyverns in the Fallen City. There's two enemy spawns you may encounter there, the more common one is a single Dire Wyvern, three Eliminators guarding the sanctum and three Living Armors posted in the streets. The rare one has two vanilla Wyverns, three Living Armors guarding the sanctum, and eight Eliminators in the streets. I've also had a normal Wyvern appear in the Rotunda of Dread too.

Also the Bluemoon Tower Wyvern will only be a Dire one if you accept the notice board quest in BBI. Once you finish that it will revert to the normal Wyvern spawn there although that one is still unique because it speaks English.

Dr. Abysmal fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 7, 2013

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Looking for speedruns, I just realized that speedrun mode doesn't start you from level 1. Are there any cool runs from (Japanese) people doing the whole game from a cold start?

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
Does anyone have any tips for the undead wyrm and priest fight in the forsaken cathedral? This fight is kicking my rear end and he takes forever to get any damage on him.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

zarron posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the undead wyrm and priest fight in the forsaken cathedral? This fight is kicking my rear end and he takes forever to get any damage on him.

Concentrate on killing the dragon, it doesn't have many HP. Killing it can stun the priest (I think the priest can possess him and that's your chance?), causing him to fall to the ground and become vulnerable. At that point, you should be able to demolish the priest very quickly.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

zarron posted:

He resists the hell out of magic damage so weapon enchants may be hindering you, and if you're a vocation with the dodge roll, it's your best friend in that fight. I killed him by dodging like a madman and distracting him long enough for RatHat's Sorceror to get him with big spells.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
Just added my pawn to the google doc list... i've probably dumped 20+ hours into this game so far and im still pretty clueless about poo poo. Ive been using Dantes and a few other of your guys pawns like crazy. Thank God for them!

I think im gonna try and kill that dragon or mini dragon north east of grand soren when i get off work.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

So I've been getting ready to go Arisen & Pawn as sorcerers but I've been struck by doubt again, I have the Grand Spells but the pawn doesn't seem to come over and start Mirror Casting with me, we have the same skills for it but maybe it's because I haven't really set up inclination yet. Anyone else here rolling as a Sorcerer with a pawn sorcerer as support? I haven't actually made it to Sorcerer yet but I wouldn't think it matters?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

RatHat posted:

This isn't possible. It's probably someone who left the game world so you can't tell if they're gone or not. If you mean you didnt get the ring dropping from the sky cutscene, that just means your beloved wasn't the person you gave the ring to.

what ring? In my 3 play throughs I never got a ring to give to anyone.

In my most recent game which I killed the dragon earlier today my lover was Julien, who I killed and brought back to life. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Danith posted:

what ring? In my 3 play throughs I never got a ring to give to anyone.

In my most recent game which I killed the dragon earlier today my lover was Julien, who I killed and brought back to life. :v:

The Arisen's Bond is the ring he refers to, you can get it two ways. One, by going to the hidden area in Witchwood, which actually requires helping Quina at the beginning of the game and getting a tablet and bringing to the Dragonforged. Or, you can do Aelinore's questline and she will give you an item called "love in the rough" for saving her from the Duke's Manse, which you can combine with another item to make the ring.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I went assassin leveled up a lot, got the dodge roll and double jump.

Do those skills stay with me if I switch professions?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Alteisen posted:

Those abilities are part of the weapons, which are Daggers, so if you ever use daggers you'll have them.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

zarron posted:

Agnostalgia posted:

Concentrate on killing the dragon, it doesn't have many HP. Killing it can stun the priest (I think the priest can possess him and that's your chance?), causing him to fall to the ground and become vulnerable. At that point, you should be able to demolish the priest very quickly.

Million Ghosts posted:

He resists the hell out of magic damage so weapon enchants may be hindering you, and if you're a vocation with the dodge roll, it's your best friend in that fight. I killed him by dodging like a madman and distracting him long enough for RatHat's Sorceror to get him with big spells.
The dragon has a weak spot on the back of its neck (and it has its own health bar), strike here to make them a chump (works even better if you're a Magick Archer and can lock onto the back of the neck).

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

gibbed posted:

The dragon has a weak spot on the back of its neck (and it has its own health bar), strike here to make them a chump (works even better if you're a Magick Archer and can lock onto the back of the neck).

Okay I was wondering what was up with that fight. I am a magic archer (72) and I was confused on who I should be attacking.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alteisen posted:

Core abilities are tied to weapons, so you'll have those as long as you're using daggers. Ditto with Levitate and Staves/Archstaves.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Shouts out to Rascyc for giving my pawn a rent, I can only assume she got horribly splattered due to the all 3 star rating :v:

Bitterblack is ridiculously harder as a Warrior than a Magick Archer, Eliminators are terrifying now and Garm are horrible murderbeasts. It's still satisfying as hell landing Arc of Might on things though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Agnostalgia posted:

After you kill the cursed dragon the first time, The skelepope will possess it to raise it again, and while he's possessing it it will cast a bunch of bullshit spells like High Bolide. Once you kill it again, he'll be knocked down like a normal wight, which removes almost all of his physical defense. Ignore downed pawns if you'd have to go out of your way to get them, and smash the skelepope. Not sure if he can raise the dragon to life without possessing it again, after that.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

TescoBag posted:

Sorry to bump - but does anyone have any ideas?
Are you killing yourself? I'm pretty sure you need to kill yourself. Saving and quitting is not enough.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

zarron posted:

If you have any of the books (or are they gems?) that summon spirits like the Sorcerer Necromancy spell they will tear him up. I usually just dump that sort of thing in the bank but I had one and decided to try it out and it burned like 3-4 HP bars. Based on that I'm guessing he is weak to dark magic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Million Ghosts posted:

I'd glad you're enjoying my pawn, but unfortunately the next time you update her she'll be a Mage again.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

RatHat posted:

I'd glad you're enjoying my pawn, but unfortunately the next time you update her she'll be a Mage again.

I noticed that, I haven't rented her again since the switch but I defintely will next time a Cursed Drake wipes my party again.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know I think Rangers aren't so useful in Bitterblack Isle. Striders with Emenince plus skull splitter, and dragonforged heimbarde daggers do insane amounts of damage.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Nahxela posted:

Are you killing yourself? I'm pretty sure you need to kill yourself. Saving and quitting is not enough.

What, no. It rolls the item on opening a chest, as long as you get back to the point before you opened the chest it will give you a different roll.
A lot of them are weighted, like having a 70% chance to give this piece of crap, and then 10% for the three rarer items it can give, and it's most likely that Tesco's just had an unlucky streak. Also, laughter, he was trying to get the Scalding Razors, when the chest in the mine that gives them has given me something that was not the Scalding Razors twice in about 2 dozen openings of the thing.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 7, 2013

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Out of curiosity, do the different bow improving augments affect the Magic Archer's bows or do they work under different rules?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah there's an option under the Save/Quit menu that is just "quit with saving" and you can use that to reset chests, I did it forever to get a bow in Soulflayer canyon and then I accidentally deleted my data trying to show a friend how to restart DA without losing all the bonuses :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Million Ghosts posted:

So Alteisen, remember when you said Elsa would die horribly in Bitterblack?

Here's Elsa, my pawn Kye, and my Arisen kicking the hell out of a blurry Drake. Not pictured is Scott Bakula's Jaia being off somewhere doing mage things.

I'm going to change her mage skills to be more suited to Bitterblack Isle once I start playing there. What skills are recommended for a support mage?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm going to change her mage skills to be more suited to Bitterblack Isle once I start playing there. What skills are recommended for a support mage?

Holy boon, anodyne, and the status removal spell are the big standard skill set for BBI mages. Thunder boon is good against a lot of enemies that are less effected by Holy, and Dark boon has a couple niche uses. Ice and fire weaknesses seem to overlap too much with holy.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
By the way, on the Share Pictures, is there a way to grab them without using Facebook to upload them?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Rirse posted:

By the way, on the Share Pictures, is there a way to grab them without using Facebook to upload them?
On PS3, they get saved to photos. I assume 360 has a similar data storage mechanism.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As a mystic knight, I specifically brought an inherent lightning weapon to this area of Bitterblack to deal with that ogre that is vulnerable to lightning and what does my mage pawn do? Continually enchant it with holy, which the ogre appears to be 100% immune to. Good show, pawn. Clap clap clap.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

As a mystic knight, I specifically brought an inherent lightning weapon to this area of Bitterblack to deal with that ogre that is vulnerable to lightning and what does my mage pawn do? Continually enchant it with holy, which the ogre appears to be 100% immune to. Good show, pawn. Clap clap clap.

Did you get all the Gear Lv.3 I sent you?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lunethex posted:

Did you get all the Gear Lv.3 I sent you?
Yeah, thanks a lot. I got three of the ability rings in there. I don't have anything I can give in return though I think, since you are level infinity.

edit: I see they didn't fix the frame rate problem when you have three ruinous sigils and three magic cannons going and the enemy is right in the middle of them. It's always a great light show though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 7, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, thanks a lot. I got three of the ability rings in there. I don't have anything I can give in return though I think, since you are level infinity.

Nah, it wouldn't be a problem for me to get anything I needed, and both that character and pawn are wearing Oblivion & Carrion respectively. I'm trying to hand out things to people playing the game regularly though, so if anyone's planning on sticking with Dragon's Dogma for the conceivable future let me know and I'll make some time later to throw some cursed stuff your way.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 7, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Count Uvula posted:

What, no. It rolls the item on opening a chest, as long as you get back to the point before you opened the chest it will give you a different roll.
A lot of them are weighted, like having a 70% chance to give this piece of crap, and then 10% for the three rarer items it can give, and it's most likely that Tesco's just had an unlucky streak. Also, laughter, he was trying to get the Scalding Razors, when the chest in the mine that gives them has given me something that was not the Scalding Razors twice in about 2 dozen openings of the thing.
Oh, welp, rip bad luck.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I'm trying to hand out things to people playing the game regularly though, so if anyone's planning on sticking with Dragon's Dogma for the conceivable future let me know and I'll make some time later to throw some cursed stuff your way.

I'll take any cursed stuff you feel like throwing at me. I believe I won't be starting over again anytime soon, and if I remember correctly cursed stuff can give me that sweet wizard hat. :v:

Edit: Strange thing I just noticed about levitate: If you sprint and jump then let go of the control stick before you start levitating you keep your sprinting momentum and can go 5-10 ft farther with one jump than sprinting/jump/hold forward. It makes pretty much every jump in bitterblack isle piss easy if you can get a running start.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 7, 2013

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

Rirse posted:

360 can only post to Facebook and the screenshots are lower resolution, sadly.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ugh, my character is at level 33 and I only realised last night that I'd been playing the thing offline the whole time. I had to update my PS3 when I first launched the game and I guess it defaulted to offline. I was reading the thread and becoming more and more confused by the concept of giving gifts/messages/ratings for pawns. Managed to switch it on last night and was astonished by the amount of anime princess mages in pretty robes I could hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Woot, now level 200, updated it on the thing in accordance to the rest of the 200s(ie; pink.)

Thanks for all the rentals so far, too. Hopefully the big guy has been working out well. I've been trying to rent as many goons as possible. drat 4 party limits. My goal was to try to max out level before I leave for the US vacation tomorrow morning. So I'll be deprived of DA for awhile. I plan on feeding him the mass elixirs before I go to make sure his inclinations stay put for awhile at least and dole out a few more gifts when I can.

Still no luck on a Devil's Bane or the Hellfire Gloves, though I'm going to start gifting cursed items these days more now that I have almost everything else I need. Will probably get a couple more runs in today but it's packing day.

• Locked thread