Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

YellerBill posted:

We need a Goon TF2 clan (or clan branch) consisting entirely of caber demomen and rocket jumper + mantreads + market gardener soldiers. I would gladly sign up for that.

I keep meaning to set one up, give it a circus-y looking poster for the profile page and call the group 'The Amazing Flying Assholes' or something like that.

Gotta include Pyros with detonators, too!

edit: Actually, setting up a group of steam is super easy, and I'm not a very organised person so someone else should probably do it, then we'll have a leader who'll actually set up events or something.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

YellerBill posted:

We need a Goon TF2 clan (or clan branch) consisting entirely of caber demomen and rocket jumper + mantreads + market gardener soldiers. I would gladly sign up for that.

Sign me up!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

QwertySanchez posted:

I keep meaning to set one up, give it a circus-y looking poster for the profile page and call the group 'The Amazing Flying Assholes' or something like that.

Gotta include Pyros with detonators, too!

Can you even manage a decent jump with a detonator? Back when they had them in the beta it was almost as good as a sticky jump but ever since they've been put in the full game I've never managed to get much higher than a scout's double jump.

Also wrangler engineers.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Yeah, the jump isn't great now, but there's still quite a few places you can get to that you wouldn't expect to see a pyro.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

YellerBill posted:

I would join this in a loving heartbeat.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

QwertySanchez posted:

Yeah, the jump isn't great now, but there's still quite a few places you can get to that you wouldn't expect to see a pyro.

There are some really, really good pyros who can rocket jump. It does require an enemy soldier to shoot at them first, though.

Hmm, speaking of which, technically the amazing flying assholes could be any class as long as they had a demoman friend on the other team who could propel them.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dauntasa posted:

There are some really, really good pyros who can rocket jump. It does require an enemy soldier to shoot at them first, though.

Hmm, speaking of which, technically the amazing flying assholes could be any class as long as they had a demoman friend on the other team who could propel them.

There is pretty much nothing more demoralizing than shooting a rocket at a pyro and them using it to rocket jump at you, flare you en route, and then axtinguish you.

Ubering enemy spies is pretty much the best way to gently caress with your team's engineers, if you just unsap while the spy re-saps it'll kill all your stuff in under ten seconds so if the spy is ubered you're literally helpless.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

Dauntasa posted:

I've seen at least one person manage to rocket jump as an enginneer as well, using an exploit that allows the wrangler to simultaneously fire a rocket at their feet and pick up the sentry. Any time you see a sentry in a completely whacked out place, odds are, that's how it got there. So we can have pyros, engineers, soldiers, and demomen who can actively perform rocket/sticky jumps.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Ubering enemy spies is pretty much the best way to gently caress with your team's engineers, if you just unsap while the spy re-saps it'll kill all your stuff in under ten seconds so if the spy is ubered you're literally helpless.

If they're using the YER then they can stab the Engineer without breaking the uber. They will have to have managed to stab someone on their own before you can start healing them, though.

Honestly going on a pub server and packing the Saharan spy set and Dead Ringer is practically griefing. You make no sound, kill people and instantly take on their appearance, and even if you get shot you just turn invisible instead of dying. Chances are you won't run into anyone good enough to defend against this at all and will be able to just murder the entire other team with impunity.

McCloud24 posted:

I've seen at least one person manage to rocket jump as an enginneer as well, using an exploit that allows the wrangler to simultaneously fire a rocket at their feet and pick up the sentry. Any time you see a sentry in a completely whacked out place, odds are, that's how it got there. So we can have pyros, engineers, soldiers, and demomen who can actively perform rocket/sticky jumps.

You don't even need to exploit. Just wrangler jump and then build a teleporter exit in whatever weird place you've managed to get to. Then you can just move the sentry up there afterwards. There's an archway in Egypt that you can't get to without rocket/sticky jumping that I see Engineers build on sometimes. It's always a complete bitch to get them when they're up there.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
How much does Saharan Spy dampen the ridiculously obnoxious Dead Ringer sound? I always loved my Dead Ringer, but god damnit it was irritating to have the entire world know every time I uncloaked.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Dauntasa posted:

You don't even need to exploit. Just wrangler jump and then build a teleporter exit in whatever weird place you've managed to get to. Then you can just move the sentry up there afterwards. There's an archway in Egypt that you can't get to without rocket/sticky jumping that I see Engineers build on sometimes. It's always a complete bitch to get them when they're up there.

It's even easier with the new engineer shotgun replacement, the rescue ranger! if you can see your buildings, you can right click on them and they just teleport to your hands!

Edit: I did it, here it is. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TheAmazingFlyingAssholes invite your friends if they're flying assholes.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 7, 2013

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Magres posted:

How much does Saharan Spy dampen the ridiculously obnoxious Dead Ringer sound? I always loved my Dead Ringer, but god damnit it was irritating to have the entire world know every time I uncloaked.

Makes it literally silent.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Man, anyone got a Fez they'll trade me for, well, basically whatever the gently caress you want? I haven't played TF2 in forever and have a lot of old items I well and truly do not care about, but I'm pretty sure I have the YER and L'Etranger already.

Pubstomping with Saharan Deadringer sounds amazing

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Magres posted:

Man, anyone got a Fez they'll trade me for, well, basically whatever the gently caress you want? I haven't played TF2 in forever and have a lot of old items I well and truly do not care about, but I'm pretty sure I have the YER and L'Etranger already.

Pubstomping with Saharan Deadringer sounds amazing

There is a TF2 trading thread in PGS, and a general thread in games, and probably 8 or 9 other threads more appropriate than this one.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

Well, so the age of wushu chat is html.

I expect good things soon.

What am I actually looking at here? Someone inserted a smiley into the chat?

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Foxhound posted:

What am I actually looking at here? Someone inserted a smiley into the chat?

According to the Age of Wushu thread, someone managed to replace some default smileys with images. Sadly you can't post pictures of dongs and butts, those images are from the game files and it'll only load game image files (Or something. I'm dumb with nerd stuff.)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The game uses html as a chat input.

This means we can use img tags, which are basic html, in chat.

So we can start putting images into world chat in a video game.

So far we are only linking in game items, but we are still working on doing more.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

The game uses html as a chat input.

This means we can use img tags, which are basic html, in chat.

So we can start putting images into world chat in a video game.

So far we are only linking in game items, but we are still working on doing more.

Is it possible to embed YouTube videos?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Dreggon posted:

Very unlikely.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dreggon posted:

No, you can only (as far as I know) call up images from the Wushu files. If you somehow knew that someone had a picture of a dong in their files as well as what the exact location and name of said picture were, I think you could call up dongs on their poo poo, but I don't think anyone has tried that yet.

The real fun is just going to be spamming the gently caress out of world chat with giant pictures to make pubs angry, unless Reggin and the other codemonkeys who have been dissecting the game figure out how to do more evil things than that.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's that? More Wushu? Sure! This is sort of a timeline of how things have gone down, in a general sense, since we got into the game.

Magres posted:

Sanguine Moon was a guild that is/was (they're basically dead) full of tools who decided they hated Goons for our bloodthirsty ancient Chinese communist ways and started trying to pick on us, since a lot of our guys were late to the party and were thus under-geared and, much more importantly, under-leveled.

Instead of letting us get run out of the game, Grithok yelled at us a bunch until we got our poo poo together and started curbstomping them in wars, until we stole lawfully acquired their guild hall, after they had been bragging forever that they were beating our asses and that we were bad and would never, ever be able to beat them in a war. Then this post happened

Some Sanguine Moon sperglord posted:

Hmmmm? You guys are still talking about the guild war stuff? My mind has wandered from that ages ago, you guys should talk about something more interesting now.

Hold on, let me rephrase it to something you can more easily understand:

You guyz still toking 'bout guild fites? Tok 'bout smthn cool yo. Plz thx.

Some other crap happened, then this absolute gem

and it spawned a ton of forum avatars involving taking anime poo poo and badly photoshopping in headshots of famous politicians.

Jinhu, Sanguine Moon's leader, proceeded to have an absolute loving MELTDOWN about how we were stealing his ~arte~, the entirety of which was anime pictures of scantily clad catgirls. He claimed to have dozens of receipts proving his ownership of photoshop and poo poo.

SPERGTRON THE SAMURAI CATGIRL posted:

All of my art IS my own work. I have thousands of images to prove that it is my art, including proof of my tablet purchase, photoshop programs, PSD image files of the originals, and brushes that I have made specifically for my art.

What you do not know about me is that I have been doing graphic art since childhood. Much of my work has been on visual novels, manga illustrations, character/monster creation/designs and art used by many studios through consignment purchases/contract work with those person(s) and studios.

Straight up copy/paste from the AoW forums. The best part is that some Goon went internet detective on him and tracked down the actual anime catgirl artiste behind the pictures, who confirmed that Jinhu had stolen his stuff.

Also, at some point in this poo poo (I honestly forget when, or I'd put it in at the appropriate point of the narrative), we took over Wanderer's Valley, which Jinhu had previously been the leader of. That itself is worthy of retelling. A few days before the weekly school tournament for that poo poo happened, an enterprising Goon ran around asking people if they had any of the current WV leaders on their enemies list, and convinced them to bump them up to Blood Enemies. The perk of doing this is that it means you can bounty the person any time they have ANY infamy. "Oh, you killed some random scrub? Have fun spending five hours in jail :byewhore:"

Our Goon mastermind managed to round up blood enemies for the entirety of the WV school leaders, then waited until Sunday night, a few hours before the school tournament. He rounded up some other like-minded conspirators, and got everyone to grab Constable status. The ~5 Constables proceeded to methodically locate a WV leader, bounty him for 150L (a five hour jail sentence), and immediately swarm him with five constables and throw him in the slammer for five hours, preventing the poor sucker from participating in the WV leadership tournament. For one guy, they even sent in a hapless newbie to run around and insult the guy's guild to provoke him into getting infamy so they could bounty him. Hearing it unfold on Mumble (and watching the responses in world chat) was amazing, the WV leaders realized what was up and were running scared, but no one can escape the Mongoonian Horde :black101:

The short of Jinhu's story is that Goons took a man who was very much emotionally invested in his power over other internet kungfu nerds, over the course of about two weeks, dismantled literally everything he had put together. His guild? Homeless and failcascading. His school leadership? Wiped out and replaced almost entirely with our people. We burned his home, ran him out of his school, and stole every last one of his maids.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm so happy I got to be a part of the fall of Jinhu. Getting to watch the dawning realization that his guild was utterly dwarfed by Goon Tang Clan and that we would begin smashing his guild apart as soon as we hit decent levels was glorious.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Getting it in chunks as it happened was great, but reading the whole thing at once is really special.

vvv Regular edited. Choke on THAT :smug:

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 7, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Suck it, ninja edited :v:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
The funny thing is that a lot of people get butthurt the moment there's a goon presence in a game and try their hardest to take them out but instead completely miss the point that 75% of goon groups are run by normal people that actually will respect a lot of people and work with them to help if the offending people weren't such dorks. Goons are some of the most helpful people you'll run into in a game as long as you're not a dick.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Ringo Star Get posted:

The funny thing is that a lot of people get butthurt the moment there's a goon presence in a game and try their hardest to take them out but instead completely miss the point that 75% of goon groups are run by normal people that actually will respect a lot of people and work with them to help if the offending people weren't such dorks. Goons are some of the most helpful people you'll run into in a game as long as you're not a dick.

So you're saying that the greatest grief that goonswarm ever pulled was convincing the internet that we were all like them goons are all the same?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 7, 2013

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Magres posted:

No, you can only (as far as I know) call up images from the Wushu files. If you somehow knew that someone had a picture of a dong in their files as well as what the exact location and name of said picture were, I think you could call up dongs on their poo poo, but I don't think anyone has tried that yet.

The real fun is just going to be spamming the gently caress out of world chat with giant pictures to make pubs angry, unless Reggin and the other codemonkeys who have been dissecting the game figure out how to do more evil things than that.
<marquee><blink><font size = 100><font colour = "pink"> gently caress YOU NERDS </font></blink></marquee>

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Keeshhound posted:

So you're saying that the greatest grief that goonswarm ever pulled was convincing the internet that we were all like them?

Uhh no Goonswarm =/= Goons. Let's not pretend that EVE doesn't draw in a special kind of sadistic and crazy.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

quote:

Straight up copy/paste from the AoW forums. The best part is that some Goon went internet detective on him and tracked down the actual anime catgirl artiste behind the pictures, who confirmed that Jinhu had stolen his stuff.

Ahaha that's amazing, how did they react when you confronted them?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TheSpiritFox posted:

Uhh no Goonswarm =/= Goons. Let's not pretend that EVE doesn't draw in a special kind of sadistic and crazy.

That was the point. People tend to conflate EVE Goons and regular Goons. This is an incorrect assumption, and one which leads to the situation Ringo Star Get described.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

AXE COP posted:

We can't find the specific callout, but AFAIK Jinhu up and disappeared off the forums after that.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

TheSpiritFox posted:

Yep, EVE goons are a whole another brand of goons, hence the 25% of the "other".

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Keeshhound posted:

That was the point. People tend to conflate EVE Goons and regular Goons. This is an incorrect assumption, and one which leads to the situation Ringo Star Get described.

Ohh. I thought you meant Goonswarm convinced the internet we were all assholes like them. My mistake, carry on, nothing to see here.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yep, EVE goons are a whole another brand of goons, hence the 25% of the "other".

Even still, EVE goons pale in comparison to some our allies/enemies. There was a rumor about one of the Russian space corps trying to find out where a titan pilot lived (this was way back when there were only like 6 titans in existence) so they could shut off the power to his house and destroy the titan. http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/65475/page/3%E2%80%A2%20The%20litmus%20test

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

AXE COP posted:

That was me. I hesitate to say it was internet detective work since someone else randomly found the image on danbooru and I just contacted the artist.

I confronted Jinhu and they vehemently denied it, so being the massive sperg I am I put together an image with the conversation I had with the artist and sent it to Jinhu. They never replied, but I showed it to his friends and they all reacted badly. One of them was in complete denial and kept making excuses like 'well maybe they meant they owned the backgrounds of the signature!' I also posted it in Wanderer's Valley chat and there was some significant poo poo-talking about Jinhu as a result. Sadly I didn't take screencaps. :( I am absolutely positive that Jinhu saw it though, because someone with an ego like that can't ignore things.

I really, really have a thing against plagiarism of any sort. It ain't cool. :colbert: This is the only time I'd ever even get close to internet detectivism.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TheSpiritFox posted:

Ohh. I thought you meant Goonswarm convinced the internet we were all assholes like them. My mistake, carry on, nothing to see here.

I guess I can see how "like them" could be interpreted that way. Hopefully it's a little more clear now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The fact that goons exist is a pretty awesome grief on all of multiplayer games. Any time a big enough thread pops up on the forums about some upcoming game, the official forum of the game explodes with anger about goons wanting to play it. The game devs need to ban goons from the game because goons will ruin it. Aside from the stories in this thread, playing games online with goons has been the best multiplayer experience I've ever had. Goons are nice and helpful and will get you started in whatever game you are playing. There's always some sort of interesting conversation you can have in voice chat or whatever. It also doesn't hurt that most goons are actually good at games and provide either a challenge or a useful teammate.

This thread wouldn't even exist if there weren't idiots out there to bring it upon themselves.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that goons exist is a pretty awesome grief on all of multiplayer games. Any time a big enough thread pops up on the forums about some upcoming game, the official forum of the game explodes with anger about goons wanting to play it. The game devs need to ban goons from the game because goons will ruin it.
Pathfinder Online (if it actually comes out, which is not very likely) has in fact gone on record that "being a goon" might get you punished. :laugh:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Even still, EVE goons pale in comparison to some our allies/enemies. There was a rumor about one of the Russian space corps trying to find out where a titan pilot lived (this was way back when there were only like 6 titans in existence) so they could shut off the power to his house and destroy the titan. http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/65475/page/3%E2%80%A2%20The%20litmus%20test

Haha goddamn. Even as a rumor its a possible idea. EVE players are a unique breed. My hats off to them getting enjoyment from that game and in turn creating some of the stories here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Keeshhound posted:

A member of one of the goonswarm pubbie corps (Amok.) messaged me yesterday trying to get access to goontang clan's wiki. I doubt pubbies will ever understand the difference between a single guild that plays multiple games and a bunch of guilds that happen to recruit from the same place but figured at least somebody who spent that much time around goons would know better.

• Locked thread