Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
It's OK to not like some cartoonists.

Independent catch-up:

Monday:

Tuesday:

Today:

:butt:

Daily Mail:

Tuesday:
"The Queen is due to read the annual speech on Wednesday."

quote:

“Do I detect a tiny hint of protest planned for tomorrow’s speech, dear?”

Today:
"The Queen’s speech will be given today."

quote:

“I’m sure that’s Helen Mirren.”

Express:

Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Walkin' past my own house, what's in the newz today?

I'd actually like to see a roundup of other cartoons in the smaller/'other' papers, just for a snapshot. This is about the only place I really see them, are there any unsung geniuses in the wider press?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

Classic.

William Hague looks like he's growing a third eye.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Two Whole Oiks!!

Steve Bell on Lord Lawson's intervention over Europe.
Lawson has become the most senior figure in the Conservative party to call for Britain to leave the EU.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/07/cameron-defends-eu-plans-nigel-lawson

quote:

Cameron defends EU plans after Nigel Lawson calls for UK to leave
  • Ex-chancellor's remarks 'give cover to Eurosceptic right'
  • Cameron critics dismiss chances of UK-EU deal as 'moonshine'
  • Lib Dems dismiss credibility of 'climate-change denier' Lawson

David Cameron has been forced to defend his plans to renegotiate the terms of Britain's EU membership after the former Tory chancellor Lord Lawson said Britain should leave because the prime minister will only secure "piffling changes".

As Conservative MPs hailed Lawson for creating a "game-changing" moment, the prime minister rejected Lawson's intervention and insisted he would be able to secure real changes in Britain's membership terms.
[...]

baka kaba posted:

Walkin' past my own house, what's in the newz today?

I'd actually like to see a roundup of other cartoons in the smaller/'other' papers, just for a snapshot. This is about the only place I really see them, are there any unsung geniuses in the wider press?
There is some which don't have political ones and just super hero stuff like The Sun, Times is closed off unless you pay the online fee. However in the OP there is a little write up about a couple of others that don't get posted here much, like Ingram Pinn for the Financial Times and such but still got a couple more people to add to the OP.

Zegnar posted:

The FT's editorial cartoons - pretty good! No labels here.

And 'Banx' their columnist cartoonist...

And also stuff like Nick Hayes (from the past):

Iain Green for the Scotsman (today):

and one from the past to give an idea.

I'll get more indepth when I got abit more spare time (birthday today, need sleep got to get up early) also thanks Cloud Potato for keeping it going! :swoon:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 8, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Forums Terrorist posted:

I'm amused that the two people bitching about Collins are American. Maybe they don't think it's political because it isn't smothered in labels and cross-hatching? :haw:

I never said it wasn't political, though it often isn't, I said it was boring and unfunny.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 8, 2013

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Fluo posted:

I'll get more indepth when I got abit more spare time (birthday today, need sleep got to get up early) also thanks Cloud Potato for keeping it going! :swoon:

Happy birthday Fluo, and thanks for keeping the thread going. :toot:

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

GorfZaplen posted:

William Hague looks like he's growing a third eye.

That's William Hague!? I thought it was Yoda...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's totally William Hague. It's such a competent William Hague that for the life of me I cannot understand why he draws Cameron as a cross between the Duke of Windsor and Prince Harry.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Why is Cameron always hanging out with William Hague anyway?

Also bloody Americans coming in here, saying poo poo about our cartoons. Go back to your own thread and look at your own cartoons.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Bell, that's a reasonably unfortunate thing to be calling him :ohdear:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Urban Dictionary? Really?
And even giving UD the credit it does not deserve, Nigel's as white as anything and drawn as a small pig, I'm sure people can figure it out.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Urban Dictionary? Really?
And even giving UD the credit it does not deserve, Nigel's as white as anything and drawn as a small pig, I'm sure people can figure it out.

It's not exactly a source you'd use in a paper admittedly but you'd do well not to handwave away reasonable evidence that it's a used slur - it just reflects poorly on you.

It's obviously not the intention but by now Bell has a little bit of a record of accidentally being somewhat racist. It's unlikely ever to be malicious, he's just a bit of a careless idiot.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what the gently caress, mate

Are we expecting him to be fully fluent in obscure racist yank slang? This is about as racist as his caricature of Gideon, ffs

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

V. Illych L. posted:

what the gently caress, mate

Are we expecting him to be fully fluent in obscure racist yank slang? This is about as racist as his caricature of Gideon, ffs

I'm not exactly "down with the US kids" but I'd heard of it so I guess it isn't that obscure? :shrug:

Again, I'll point out that I'm not ascribing malice to him. I'm not sure the guy is capable of it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
He should've written it Nigelet since Nigel is pronounced /ˈnaɪdʒəl/ and the joke is easier to get if you're trying to write /ˈnaɪdʒlɛt/ rather than /'nɪglɛt/ which is close enough to the N word that people wonder if it's a slur (and therefore distract them from the cartoon) if they're not sure.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Lord of the Llamas posted:

He should've written it Nigelet since Nigel is pronounced /ˈnaɪdʒəl/ and the joke is easier to get if you're trying to write /ˈnaɪdʒlɛt/ rather than /'nɪglɛt/ which is close enough to the N word that people wonder if it's a slur (and therefore distract them from the cartoon) even if they're not sure.
'Nigelet' doesn't really read or scan nearly as well for 'Piglet' though, which would be the source of the pun.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Kegluneq posted:

'Nigelet' doesn't really read or scan nearly as well for 'Piglet' though, which would be the source of the pun.

Nigel-let is to Pig-let as Nigel is to Pig?

No one would call a bloke called Nigel "Nig" (as in rhymes with pig) as a nickname so I don't see how you can conclude Niglet makes more sense as a pun.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Nigel-let is to Pig-let as Nigel is to Pig?

No one would call a bloke called Nigel "Nig" (as in rhymes with pig) as a nickname so I don't see how you can conclude Niglet makes more sense as a pun.
Agreed in principle, but "Niglet" is more clearly derivative of Piglet than 'Nigelet" is.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
It's a pretty weak-rear end pun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

mfcrocker posted:

I'm not exactly "down with the US kids" but I'd heard of it so I guess it isn't that obscure? :shrug:

Again, I'll point out that I'm not ascribing malice to him. I'm not sure the guy is capable of it.

I used to listen to the Howard Stern radio show, and he had a guy from the KKK on pretty frequently. That's the only place I've heard the term, and I'd like to think it's not very widely known in the US. (I am a foolish optimist in some ways.)

Also, I am an American in favor of Stephen Collins. :911:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Kegluneq posted:

Agreed in principle, but "Niglet" is more clearly derivative of Piglet than 'Nigelet" is.

At the expense that it's less clearly a derivative of Nigel, and idiots like us with nothing better to do are arguing about it on the internet. If he had written Nigelet I doubt this would've gone past "yeah we can see why he didn't write Niglet".

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Gotta admit, it is pretty unfortunate. I thought of that as well but it's obviously not intended.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Shades of that Final Fantasy LP where the LPer named one of the characters after a term in Hawaiian that turned out to be 'Paki' without knowing the other context.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He named the black mage Paki.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Illuyankas posted:

Shades of that Final Fantasy LP where the LPer named one of the characters after a term in Hawaiian that turned out to be 'Paki' without knowing the other context.

Yeah except, you know, being in English rather than Hawaiian and being very similar to the biggest racial slur going. :bravo:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Outside of Britain that is far from the biggest slur. Hell, its more obscure than niglet I'd bet.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cliff Racer posted:

Outside of Britain that is far from the biggest slur. Hell, its more obscure than niglet I'd bet.

Yes hello welcome to the UK Political Cartoons thread where we discuss political cartoons from the UK. You may have to forgive me being a bit UK-centric in this thread about cartoons from the UK.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mfcrocker posted:

Yes hello welcome to the UK Political Cartoons thread where we discuss political cartoons from the UK. You may have to forgive me being a bit UK-centric in this thread about cartoons from the UK.

Except we are discussing a person's (assumably not from the UK) decision in another thread. Unless you were discussing Bell's decision to call him Niglet instead of that LPer's discison to call whoever that was Paki.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cliff Racer posted:

Except we are discussing a person's (assumably not from the UK) decision in another thread. Unless you were discussing Bell's decision to call him Niglet instead of that LPer's discison to call whoever that was Paki.

Yes, I was saying that it's daft as gently caress to compare a Hawaiian slur to a homophonic English slur. You were rather unspecific as to which slur you were on about so I fairly reasonably presumed you meant Bell's as the more relevant to the subject at hand.

E: I probably missed a comma too :nyoron:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Yet somehow you're dragging American slurs into this...? Kinda messed up, if you ask me.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mfcrocker posted:

Yes, I was saying that it's daft as gently caress to compare a Hawaiian slur to a homophonic English slur.

Paki is not a Hawaiian slur, its an English one. In Hawaiian it probably just means "fire" or something.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

R. Mute posted:

Yet somehow you're dragging American slurs into this...? Kinda messed up, if you ask me.
Although the specific racist term is obscure, the word it is derived from is absolutely part of British racist culture as well.

It's not even a very good pun. :-/

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

Although the specific racist term is obscure, the word it is derived from is absolutely part of British racist culture as well.

It's not even a very good pun. :-/
I'd agree with you if Bell was doing that 'niggardly :smuggo:' thing, but he wasn't. He was making a pun on piglet. He - and in fact the majority of people - wouldn't know about the obscure American slur and without knowledge of that slur, you wouldn't make the connection with 'friend of the family' either.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Seriously, even if you hadn't heard the slur you can work it the gently caress out:

-let suffix = young
Niglet = young nig.

Jesus loving christ I'm surrounded by liberal assholes. Bell is not above criticism because he's nominally on our side. I'm not being unfair here, I've attributed no malice but handwaving it away as "obscure" is bullshit.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

mfcrocker perhaps we are the racists for thinking it was a bit close to the mark. Makes you think.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I'm not saying Bell's above criticism, I'm saying you're an idiot because you seem to be unable to imagine that a 62 year old man and in fact most of his audience won't make the same mental connections that you would make - especially since everything in the cartoon and everything anyone knows about Bell points in an entirely different direction. In fact, I took a look at the normally horrible (and in this case horrible for other reasons) comment section under that cartoon and it was only mentioned by an American.

You're bending over backwards to be offended at something that's not offensive at all. Or are you? I honestly have no idea what you're saying anymore.

e: I mean, it's not intended to be used that way. It's not directed at a black person. Everything surrounding it makes it clear that it's a pun on Nigel and piglet. So... what? What's the problem here?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

mfcrocker posted:

Bell is not above criticism because he's nominally on our side. I'm not being unfair here

Yes you are, and people who have called you out on this are not doing so because Bell is a sacred cow. The Piglet/Niglet thing sounds/looks like an honest choice and until people pointed it out I for one did not see its link to an obscure US slur. In fact, as you yourself pointed out with the use of the Paki slur, people in the UK would immediately pick up on that one in a UK context. As people have said if you are not cognizant of certain more obscure variants of N* from an American context you might miss it. It is not a wide-spread slur outside of that context.

Storm in a tea-cup.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I nearly pointed out the niglet thing, but I knew nobody could handle it. It was the same when Bell drew Wendi Deng as an inscrutable Asian swordswoman with buck teeth.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

mfcrocker posted:

Seriously, even if you hadn't heard the slur you can work it the gently caress out:

-let suffix = young
Niglet = young nig.

Jesus loving christ I'm surrounded by liberal assholes. Bell is not above criticism because he's nominally on our side. I'm not being unfair here, I've attributed no malice but handwaving it away as "obscure" is bullshit.

Sorry but the cartoon isn't open to your interpretation of "niglet" at all.

Firstly, there are no mentions of Black people, racism, race, whatever and secondly there is a piglet bearing the face of a white man named Nigel.

That doesn't mean there is no unfortunate lexical coincidence but it's pretty hard to see considering the context of the cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I nearly pointed out the niglet thing, but I knew nobody could handle it. It was the same when Bell drew Wendi Deng as an inscrutable Asian swordswoman with buck teeth.
No, that was actually kinda racist, so that's a completely different thing. This is more like the charges of anti-semitism.

• Locked thread