Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I know the OP is two years old by now but working in an indirect store I find this particularly misleading

Duckman2008 posted:

3. Sprint Indirect stores
Pros: Its a store front, work with same Sprint Rep. Can potentially discount phones to match competitor's prices.
Cons: Pricing is usually higher. Potential mail in rebate. Fees not always waived. Potential stupid employees

We get more complaints and more screwed up accounts from the local coporate store than anything else. In fact, if people come in with certain things going wrong we can almost always pinpoint it to the corporate store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Wizard of Smart posted:

I know the OP is two years old by now but working in an indirect store I find this particularly misleading

We get more complaints and more screwed up accounts from the local coporate store than anything else. In fact, if people come in with certain things going wrong we can almost always pinpoint it to the corporate store.

Congrats on being 1 in 100.

No joke. Every "corp" wireless store here has exactly 2 "resellers"

Every one of them are shady fucks who stick people with lovely phones while smiling and nodding. Whatever the customer says yes to they sell and 9 times out of 10 they in some way gently caress up a customer account, Lie about return policy, refuse warranty, and a billion other lovely things they do. Instead of replacing batteries or even telling the customer its bad, they simply "test" it, which means take it into the tech room, bullshit with the tech, then come back out and say its fine and send em on there way. They then come into COR and we have a customer who thinks WE are the ones lying about why her battery wont hold a charge, and its so loving bloated the back plate barely squeezed on. This is 100% the trend here and pretty much every where else I've lived.

Yes, Good resellers exist. And most of those are owned by some lady who also runs a hair salon out of the shop. Sure the phones are more expensive than other resellers or at corp prices, But she'll fight tooth and nail for you if you need something done for you.

Again, I know some of you goons who work at resellers who treat people right and have management who cares. But face it, Most of the time this is not the case, you are the minority. And the worst part? Every company has one store that does really really well and 100 others who are total poo poo. Sad really.

The COR stores with terrible employees wont have terrible employees long. poo poo rolls down hill in the corp world with wireless. Yes, you have a few awful dudes who work at a location from time to time, but the rest of the store, You know the guys who are really excited for you to get a new phone and wanna show you all the rad poo poo your new phone does! Those guys are exactly why COR stores are better. Plus, if its a COR rep who fucks your poo poo up, you can expect them to get poo poo on for it. For Real. AT&T COR is no joke about rules and ethics poo poo. Sprints pretty much the same way, And Verizon don't play gently caress around on customers either. T-Mobile I have no real experience but general word from ex AT&T folks who went rogue to T-Mobile, they all quit. Apparently its pretty bad? poo poo no idea, nobody in the midwest carries T-mobile except poor people who are to lazy to goto the boost stores or don't mind having the worst possible coverage ever but want a high end device anyways.

TL:DR
Wireless is a crapshoot, But your odds are better at a COR Store because at least COR gets poo poo on from higher ups. Unlike resellers who only care about activation numbers, Once its passed 30 (generally) days its CORs problem basically. Maybe everywhere else is a fairy land where its the other way around, but I've seriously never been at a reseller who was super awesome unless you consider my old alltell lady to count. She did really run her store out of her hair/nail salon. It was awesome and she rocked to work with. And I did run a kiosk for a while and since there was a whole 2 of us that actually worked, we did a fantastic job of selling the poo poo out of phones and having happy customers.

My favorite thing resellers here do? "Oh sure I'll waive those activation fees on 5 lines, No Problem!"
Second favorite, They sell those "in house" warranty things. They call it insurance, and charge like 99.99 or something for 2 years. What they neglect to tell customers is it don't cover certain things. Like it'll cover a broken screen but not water damage or theft. gently caress that's fun when they get bounced to COR when they don't have an upgrade and a maxed out account. Our AT&T resellers do that here. Its awful.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 6, 2013

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Partycat posted:

Buffalo is a WiMax protection area though, and there is a bunch of nextel work to do. So, uh, ???

Ok cool, that has no relation to my post so uh?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wizard of Smart posted:

I worked for 2 different indirect Sprint stores. It's a crapshoot. I run my stores top notch, but other stores weren't as good. Etc.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

that one guy posted:

Got a rooted Galaxy Nexus S2 off ebay and was able to activate it on my account but I keep getting error 16 and cannot make calls. I spent over an hour with three different reps and none of them could resolve it, after factory reset and them doing resets on their end. They told me to take it to a store to see if they could fix it. I tried several ways to get the MSL, hoping I could do something with that but to no avail. Anyone run into this and know what I can do or what number can really fix it? I would love to avoid going to a store and don't have faith they'll fix it anyway. I'm on SERO.

NM removed.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 6, 2013

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
I switched to Sprint when you could get a hero for $0.01 from the referral program that was posted here and also got a Chase discount I think many took advantage of. I recently upgraded a phone on my account and sprint sent me the following SMS:

quote:

SprintFreeMsg: Remember to confirm your eligibility for a Sprint discount. Please visit sprint.com/verify to submit proof you qualify.

When I went to the URL it stated:

quote:

Thank you for coming online to verify your eligibility for a Sprint discount through your participating company, university or organization. Just provide the information requested below and submit by May 27, 2013 to keep your monthly service discount.

Am i going to lose this discount? And is there any way around it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoctorJones posted:

I switched to Sprint when you could get a hero for $0.01 from the referral program that was posted here and also got a Chase discount I think many took advantage of. I recently upgraded a phone on my account and sprint sent me the following SMS:

When I went to the URL it stated:

Am i going to lose this discount? And is there any way around it?

Yes. And only if you're willing to be shady and photoshop an employee badge.

Where do you work, maybe you get a discount through there? If you are a Credit union member you can get 10%.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Has anyone seen a deal on the GS4 better than Amazon's $220 for an upgrade? That new customer pricing has me bitter.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Chunk posted:

Has anyone seen a deal on the GS4 better than Amazon's $220 for an upgrade? That new customer pricing has me bitter.

I've seen it sell - with various promotions - for $50.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chunk posted:

Has anyone seen a deal on the GS4 better than Amazon's $220 for an upgrade?
I'm not sure how much of a deal this actually qualifies for when Amazon has been claimiing a "2-4 week" ship time since first saw this price last week.

I mean, if they actually do ship, I suppose it's an OK deal if you're not in a rush.

Chunk posted:

That new customer pricing has me bitter.
If your present line is out of contract you can, with some shenganigans and help of an SO or trusted third party, be a new customer yourself.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not sure how much of a deal this actually qualifies for when Amazon has been claimiing a "2-4 week" ship time since first saw this price last week.

I mean, if they actually do ship, I suppose it's an OK deal if you're not in a rush.

If your present line is out of contract you can, with some shenganigans and help of an SO or trusted third party, be a new customer yourself.

Port to Tmobile prepaid or something then port back. 149.99 after port credit. Best option.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

EbolaIvory posted:

Port to Tmobile prepaid or something then port back. 149.99 after port credit. Best option.

Can you explain this? I'm looking to switch over to T-Mobile possibly when my current Sprint contract is up at the end of the month but I'm not sure about the S4 situation. It seems to me I can buy the phone outright for $650 and pay $70/mo for service+unlimited data, or buy the phone for $149 and pay $20 a month for 24 months for the phone on top of the $70/mo, which would then make my cell plan ten dollars more than my current Sprint plan (although I would actually get 4G coverage). Is there a better option for me?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

berserker posted:

Can you explain this? I'm looking to switch over to T-Mobile possibly when my current Sprint contract is up at the end of the month but I'm not sure about the S4 situation. It seems to me I can buy the phone outright for $650 and pay $70/mo for service+unlimited data, or buy the phone for $149 and pay $20 a month for 24 months for the phone on top of the $70/mo, which would then make my cell plan ten dollars more than my current Sprint plan (although I would actually get 4G coverage). Is there a better option for me?

Realize your bill goes down once the phone is paid for. You could also wait a few weeks and get a used s4.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
How much, if at all, does Sprint care about roaming with regards to texts? Parts of my house and parts of work have jack for coverage, but I get great signal on the roaming network.

I'll probably never make a call and I get wifi. I'm too lazy to swap to Google Voice for texts on my phone when I'm roaming.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

EbolaIvory posted:

Is a little more complicated than that. If you plan on having the account under the same social you will need to be off sprint for 60+ days.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's the best version of the Airvana/Airave to get? I moved into a garden apartment last week and while it's a great pad, the reception is not cutting it. I have an S3, I may spring for an S4 later, and I have WiFi so all I care about is good phone call reception and reliable texting as needed.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sprint Thread.

Can I get TEP on a phone that's not currently active on my account anymore?

If I can get the insurance, would it waive the $50 fee for a tech to look at said phone and repair a minor issue, say a malfunctioning charging port?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Giblet posted:

Is a little more complicated than that. If you plan on having the account under the same social you will need to be off sprint for 60+ days.

This is true, But you could port it into the old account and thus being a "port in" and "new line" still counts as a line. Worst case? You could add a line, port out, port back in, cancel new line, all in a 1-2 day span if its really worth the 100% for you.

I guess what im saying, Is you can do it. You may just have to be creative. And honestly, Id just get a new loving number from Tmo or something and port that in. Its 2013, Its not hard for people to update your contact information. And even then, if your sprint line is out of contract, you could play the shuffle "again" and port it in later. Sprint CARE can and will port in a number on top of your number. Typically at no charge. So you could shuffle your number back into that "new port in" line with minimal effort.

The Bananana posted:

Sprint Thread.

Can I get TEP on a phone that's not currently active on my account anymore?

If I can get the insurance, would it waive the $50 fee for a tech to look at said phone and repair a minor issue, say a malfunctioning charging port?

Maybe. Do you have TEP on the current phone you're going to replace the phone with to get worked on? If yes, Depends who helps you. But probably.

And yes, If you have TEP it will waive the 50$ tech fee assuming they can work on it. This means any tripped liquid damage things, or physical damage that's beyond minor nicks and scratches. If none of that exists, Yes, They can fix/replace it free of charge.'

Lovie Unsmith posted:

What's the best version of the Airvana/Airave to get? I moved into a garden apartment last week and while it's a great pad, the reception is not cutting it. I have an S3, I may spring for an S4 later, and I have WiFi so all I care about is good phone call reception and reliable texting as needed.

Whatever one they give you for free. Just go into a local sprint store thats corp owned and let them know your service is poo poo in your apt. You understand its not a giant deal and you heard about a thing that'll help your signal. Explain in a nice manner that you have no other problems with your service, and would like to stay with sprint, But you'd rather not pay for one. If you're nice and a decent customer otherwise, congrats. Enjoy the free air rave thing. Itll be a refurb but whatever. If it dont work they can get you a new one. And it wont cost you poo poo.

You could try CARE as well. Just being nice and asking for help works. Let em know you know how to factory reset your phone and its not a device issue, nobody gets service in the house etc. :)

Good luck. We give em out quite a bit to people who dont just come in yelling at us. I'm sure its the same way at most COR stores. And thats why we have them. It makes us reps "look good" to whoever we're helping. Its win win for everyone. :)

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 8, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For the Airrave you should actually get the one called Airvana. The original Airrave is discontinued so you shouldn't get that one, its been gone a while. FYI the newer one doesm3G, so you want that one.

For TEP if you activate the old phone on your account over the phone the rep should ask if you want TEP. Say yes and then you are covered in store.

zamin posted:

How much, if at all, does Sprint care about roaming with regards to texts? Parts of my house and parts of work have jack for coverage, but I get great signal on the roaming network.

I'll probably never make a call and I get wifi. I'm too lazy to swap to Google Voice for texts on my phone when I'm roaming.

Sprint doesn't care about texting on roaming.

EbolaIvory posted:

This is true, But you could port it into the old account and thus being a "port in" and "new line" still counts as a line. Worst case? You could add a line, port out, port back in, cancel new line, all in a 1-2 day span if its really worth the 100% for you.

I guess what im saying, Is you can do it. You may just have to be creative. And honestly, Id just get a new loving number from Tmo or something and port that in. Its 2013, Its not hard for people to update your contact information. And even then, if your sprint line is out of contract, you could play the shuffle "again" and port it in later. Sprint CARE can and will port in a number on top of your number. Typically at no charge. So you could shuffle your number back into that "new port in" line with minimal effort.

This used to not work, so if it does now great. Personally anyone who wants to port in then out to get a better credit, I would reco,mend adding a line with random new number then porting your number to google voice and then just using google voice integration. Same thing but a bit safer. If you need a port credit get a $10 prepaid line with TMo and then port it to sprint.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 8, 2013

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Any Miami sprint users here? Anyone having a hard time maintaining a decent data connection while driving? I guess its hopping from tower to tower and shuts off for awhile or something.

May also be my old EVO 4G.

I like having unlimited data but god damnit I'm really getting fed up with Sprint's coverage and totally sporadic 4G.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
The number in the OP for the airrave support isn't correct. I called the number and it gave me another number but that guy transferred me to another number. Anyways it looks like there is a nationwide problem with the airrave right now and they do not have an ETA on when it will be solved.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fyallm posted:

The number in the OP for the airrave support isn't correct. I called the number and it gave me another number but that guy transferred me to another number. Anyways it looks like there is a nationwide problem with the airrave right now and they do not have an ETA on when it will be solved.

Did yours just keep dropping calls on yours? That may explain the issue on mine, I thought it was my Comcast speeds.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does the flip cover for the S3 fit on the S4?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Does the flip cover for the S3 fit on the S4?

No

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

fyallm posted:

I called the number in the OP 2 weeks ago and had no problem getting an Airvana or whatever the new model is called. I simply told whoever answered that I had terrible reception at my house and they shipped me a free device that day. Once I found a place where the GPS receiver could get a lock it activated and I now have full coverage in my house and even my yard.

I only had a single problem with it. Sprint's documentation insists numerous times that you plug the Airave directly into the modem and them connect your router to the Airave. The problem is that the retarded router built into the Airave seems to block the ports Google play uses so in this configuration you cannot download or update any apps over wifi or 3G. Fortunately you can just ignore the instructions and plug the Airave into any open port on your router and it works just fine.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Did yours just keep dropping calls on yours? That may explain the issue on mine, I thought it was my Comcast speeds.

According to the guy on the phone the problem started around 8:00am today. Mine would drop calls along with not even be able to call out.

quote:

I called the number in the OP 2 weeks ago and had no problem getting an Airvana or whatever the new model is called.

If you call the number now it says they changed the number.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Anyone with an S4 experience a knocking or clicking sound on their calls?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Any Miami sprint users here? Anyone having a hard time maintaining a decent data connection while driving? I guess its hopping from tower to tower and shuts off for awhile or something.

May also be my old EVO 4G.

I like having unlimited data but god damnit I'm really getting fed up with Sprint's coverage and totally sporadic 4G.

Happens to me a lot during drives (living right here by the Metro Zoo). Been really thinking of switching over to TMo as soon as my contact us up.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

MrCodeDude posted:

Anyone with an S4 experience a knocking or clicking sound on their calls?

Not here that I've noticed.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Can the sim card slot in the HTC One or the Galaxy S4 be unlocked for international use? Similar to how the iPhone 5 or Motorola Photon did?

Sorry if this had been answered before in the past, but I searched the last few pages for 'international' and 'sim' and couldn't find mention of it.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

general chaos posted:

Can the sim card slot in the HTC One or the Galaxy S4 be unlocked for international use? Similar to how the iPhone 5 or Motorola Photon did?

Sorry if this had been answered before in the past, but I searched the last few pages for 'international' and 'sim' and couldn't find mention of it.
The One and S4 are officially world phones with removable SIMs--a departure from their previous embedded-SIM policy. People have had luck getting international carrier unlocks for previous world phones through the International Roaming/Travel department. iPhones have a unique unlocking/activation procedure that can't be circumvented easily with unlock codes or jailbreaking, allowing them unlock foreign carriers while blocking domestic. Unlocking Android phones for foreign SIMs shouldn't be difficult. Unlocking for domestic GSM/UMTS probably won't be officially supported.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Don Lapre posted:

Realize your bill goes down once the phone is paid for. You could also wait a few weeks and get a used s4.

Well of course but that wouldn't be for two years, unless I pay full price for the phone all at once which goes against my "never pay more than $150 for a phone" rule I've held for 10+ years... Really just wondering if I should expect to be able to find a deal better than the $79/mo I pay Sprint right now for a 4G enabled phone that never ever ever gets 4G service. Maybe I should just start asking some questions directly in the t-mobile/verizon/att threads... I'm just tired of Sprint's terrible network status in Phoenix and don't see this changing anytime soon.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

goku chewbacca posted:

The One and S4 are officially world phones with removable SIMs--a departure from their previous embedded-SIM policy. People have had luck getting international carrier unlocks for previous world phones through the International Roaming/Travel department. iPhones have a unique unlocking/activation procedure that can't be circumvented easily with unlock codes or jailbreaking, allowing them unlock foreign carriers while blocking domestic. Unlocking Android phones for foreign SIMs shouldn't be difficult. Unlocking for domestic GSM/UMTS probably won't be officially supported.

I haven't been able to do it yet (on my one). They push the "device must be on your account for 90 days" thing as a way to prevent people from buying it on contract here and then reselling it overseas. I get why they have this policy, but I finally found a CSR that agreed that only applies to new customers.

Eventually they "unlocked it" (via the apple method which obviously doesn't work) so I had to keep on them about it. Still no dice, it just seems like they don't know do actually do this yet so they just follow apple guidelines for it.

I figure in another month I'll have better luck. I'd be pissed if I needed to use it abroad soon though because the international roaming/data rates are insane.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I broke down (sobbing in tears) and bought the S4. Holy poo poo!

I like to go home, flip on the WiFi and pretend it's LTE. That will have to suffice until our towers get updated, in the next 1-10 years.

I have this Ferrari and there's nothing but dirt roads for miles and miles.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

moolchaba posted:

I have this Ferrari and there's nothing but dirt roads for miles and miles.

This really needs to be the new thread title.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Duckman2008 posted:

seconded

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Sprint really is laughable. I'm in Houston and I'm constantly dropping out of LTE while driving around in the West/Southwest area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

Thirded.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Duckman2008 posted:

Fourthed. It is probably the most accurate statement about Sprint ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Stumpalitious posted:

Fourthed. It is probably the most accurate statement about Sprint ever.
No poo poo.