Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Crosspost from the making games thread, but I've finally finished the refinery for my RTS:

Kinda makes my factory look like crap, but I was planning on redoing it anyway. That'll have to wait though because there's no way I'm working on redoing sprites until I at least have a something in place for all the buildings/units.

I also added a rudimentary AI. Next up is making an actual resource/credit system.

I now know more about refineries than I ever cared to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Oops, forgot to post this here. Quick little rain and thunder mockup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNbyVxlL1zo&hd=1

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
welp shipped babygrams to the app store. if anyone is a new parent who wants to take it for a spin send me a PM and I'll hook you up with some free postcards for beta testing it on TestFlight.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I'll buy it when it comes out. Happy to support.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

nebby posted:

welp shipped babygrams to the app store. if anyone is a new parent who wants to take it for a spin send me a PM and I'll hook you up with some free postcards for beta testing it on TestFlight.

If you still need beta testers in 5 months I'm in.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

HappyHippo posted:

Crosspost from the making games thread, but I've finally finished the refinery for my RTS:

Kinda makes my factory look like crap, but I was planning on redoing it anyway. That'll have to wait though because there's no way I'm working on redoing sprites until I at least have a something in place for all the buildings/units.

I also added a rudimentary AI. Next up is making an actual resource/credit system.

I now know more about refineries than I ever cared to.

Nice refinery! The war factory could use some Mammoth tanks rolling out of it. Please alert me when you've implemented Chrono Legionnaires as well :911:

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

After I released v0.2 of BeagleSNES for the BeagleBoard-xM, I figured that would be the end of it. I did a demo of my project for my final project report in the graduate class that I originally made BeagleSNES for, and that went well. Students passing by the lab heard the sounds of F-Zero leaking out into the hallway, so there were a lot of heads poking in during the demo.

There were a few extra faces in the lab during the demo, but I just figured that they were faculty that were invited to view the various final project demos. I guess one of them was a representative from Texas Instruments, and my professor had invited him to view my demo in particular and use it as an example of why TI should donate more BeagleBoard hardware to the university. Hopefully, this project will pay off for the university, too!

Anyway, I stuck a PayPal donation button on the BeagleSNES webpage because that is what all of these other open-source projects do. I never would have expected it, but people actually DO donate:

So, with donation money in hand, I purchased a BeagleBone Black with the intention of getting BeagleSNES running on it. It isn't as mature as the BB-xM, so I'm running into kernel bugs here and there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZEn6VOoGuc. I'm doing my best to communicate these issues back to TI, along with my findings, so hopefully we can get the kernel stabilized and I can get the entire BeagleSNES system up and running. On the bright side, the BeagleSNES code itself (GUI and emulator) appear to work just fine with only a few minimal changes. It runs much nicer on the 1GHz BBB than on the 800 MHz BB-xM, so that's a plus. Still a touch too slow for Star Fox, though. :(

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

nebby posted:

You should also do a version for pets--I know my wife would use it in a heartbeat.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

fuscus posted:

The plan was to build on that. There are so many features I want to add to it but without the rest of the site it just feels like a part time maps mashup. I've been spending most of my time fleshing out the site once I got to that point with the map. In the couple of months or so flights are going to be coming so you can link up journeys across different continents and separate locations more easily. It will be awesome, but I'm still trying to find a way for more people to use it.

I really like that Tripstarter tool, it seems fantastic for planning a road trip. Is there a way to load a trip that I've saved? If you're planning something big with a few people you really need that functionality and I can't seem to work out how to do it. I'd definitely be focusing on that.

Edit: Oh found how to do it, it's a bit hidden down by the comment box.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Nice refinery! The war factory could use some Mammoth tanks rolling out of it. Please alert me when you've implemented Chrono Legionnaires as well :911:

And yeah, it's shaping up to have a C&C feel to it. I view it as a good thing

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

HappyHippo posted:

And yeah, it's shaping up to have a C&C feel to it. I view it as a good thing

It is a freaking great thing

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

hendersa posted:

Hopefully, this project will pay off for the university, too!

Helping out your university community in addition to anyone who wants to get involved is awesome... but maybe this rep can persuade someone who makes hiring decisions.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Tolan posted:

You should also do a version for pets--I know my wife would use it in a heartbeat.
Good idea! Def will put this on the list ;)

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Bahama.Llama posted:

Helping out your university community in addition to anyone who wants to get involved is awesome... but maybe this rep can persuade someone who makes hiring decisions.

Well, I am a PhD student, so I still have a few years to go until I worry about that sort of thing. But, if I can get TI to look more closely at hiring some of the masters students here at the university, that would be very nice!

So anyway, check this out:

That's BeagleSNES running on the $45 BeagleBone Black! I suspect that these boards will be everywhere fairly soon, since the closest alternative is the Raspberry Pi at $35 (which is way less powerful). The BeagleBoard-xM is a nice platform, but it costs about $150 (and is ALSO less powerful). The BeagleBone Black is also tiny. It is smaller than the gamepad and it could literally fit inside of an SNES catridge. Maybe I should track down a 3-D printer and make a tiny SNES shell for it?

$45 for the board, $10 for the USB gamepad, $10 for the microHDMI-to-HDMI cable, and $15 for the power supply. Plug it into your HDMI TV and you've got a makeshift SNES you can use to play ROMs in your living room with a gamepad for $80. Not too shabby!

I'm getting video and audio over HDMI now that I have that kernel bug all sorted out. Turns out that my HDMI signal flickering was due to a problem with how the AVI InfoFrames were formed by the HDMI framing chip. It sent out bad data, which was causing the loss of signal sync when it reached my HDMI video capture device. :science:

There are still some kernel bugs to be worked out (640x480 video mode is valid, but SDL won't initialize with it, USB hotplug doesn't work, etc.), but it is actually playable now. I'll keep working with TI to get these other issues sorted out, and then I'll get another BeagleSNES release out once everything is a bit more solid.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

hendersa posted:

That's BeagleSNES running on the $45 BeagleBone Black! I suspect that these boards will be everywhere fairly soon, since the closest alternative is the Raspberry Pi at $35 (which is way less powerful). The BeagleBoard-xM is a nice platform, but it costs about $150 (and is ALSO less powerful). The BeagleBone Black is also tiny. It is smaller than the gamepad and it could literally fit inside of an SNES catridge. Maybe I should track down a 3-D printer and make a tiny SNES shell for it?
I think you finally gave me a motivational enough project to cave and start playing around with all these newfangled 3d printing/hobby electronics!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I made a proper in-game GUI in my game Scraps. Any thoughts?

I've tried to show the necessary info, and only the necessary info. Bottom-left is weapon link state and the type(s) of weapon currently active. Top-right is available power, bottom right current speed (can be changed to mph).

I'm not sure whether I should have it fixed size, or scale it with screen res so it takes up a fixed percentage of the screen. Or partially scale it with screen res. Or let the user set the GUI scale even. Currently it's fixed size so at the tiny res in the screenshot, it takes up a lot of the screen, but at high res it's pretty insignificant.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Nice and simple, the way GUIs should be. My only thought is that if your *typical* ground color is green, the meter in the top right should be another color.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I tried to mitigate that by surrounding it with a thin band of white. But yeah, it still blends in a lot. It changes colour based on how full the bar is, but it's mostly green-ish.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
I really like it.

I always do GUIs to scale with resolution, it reduces the number of bugs where stuff doesn't fit when in German at some weird resolution. You have to be careful with scaling text if you want it to look any good - I use FreeType and round the scaled size to an exact pixel size. Also you have to think carefully about which screen edge(s) each element is aligned to for it to work in all aspect ratios.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

More progress on my Risklike:

Started tweaking a lot of the UI elements and making further adjustments to the map appearance. I think I've finally hit on a good arrangement that's visually appearing and easy to see what's going on at a glance. As far as functionality goes, I've got it to the point where I can complete an entire turn as the player, so now I just need to set up a basic AI and start working out the multi-player behavior (like how to properly show the turn history of other players).

Razzek
Jun 6, 2012
I've been working on a tactical RPG based off the combat system in tabletop games like Warhammer or Mordhiem.

An old screen shot and a new video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD5YRnLrcE

I'm welcome to comments and criticism.

Everyone is wearing only pants in the video, because I just made all the sprites modular, so depending on what your unit has equipped it will show up on their model. It just so happens that I only had pants equipped for all of them.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Welp I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot.

I spent last week implementing a Beatmania IIDX sim in html5 canvas, in celebration of 5/11 (5.1.1. is a "famous" song in the series, as it's been in all 20 versions of the game. Every year I try to make as big of a deal out of it as reasonably possible, because I think it's funny how not a real holiday it is to most people on Earth).
I'm kind of surprised there wasn't already a canvas music-game sim, at least none that I could find.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Didn't quite make screenshot Saturday, but whatever.

I added a few cool things to my game. Rain, and a blob enemy that you can actually hit and kill.

Blog post is here.

Video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNwz3zezCc&hd=1

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Nition posted:

I made a proper in-game GUI in my game Scraps. Any thoughts?

I've tried to show the necessary info, and only the necessary info. Bottom-left is weapon link state and the type(s) of weapon currently active. Top-right is available power, bottom right current speed (can be changed to mph).

I'm not sure whether I should have it fixed size, or scale it with screen res so it takes up a fixed percentage of the screen. Or partially scale it with screen res. Or let the user set the GUI scale even. Currently it's fixed size so at the tiny res in the screenshot, it takes up a lot of the screen, but at high res it's pretty insignificant.

Please hurry up and finish this game, I'm lumping it in with GTA V as my two most exciting games of 2013!

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Not sure if this exactly counts or can go here, but, finally got around to finishing the clock this weekend. After much swearing thanks to my poorly written interrupt handler, I got it to work properly, albeit with a clock that swings quite awfully with temperature right now until the real 32KHz crystal shows up.

Looks safe to me.

All powered by a cute little PIC Microcontroller programmed in Assembly and some parts from a Soviet-era frequency counter. I love old technology :3:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

PhoenixWing posted:

Not sure if this exactly counts or can go here, but, finally got around to finishing the clock this weekend. After much swearing thanks to my poorly written interrupt handler, I got it to work properly, albeit with a clock that swings quite awfully with temperature right now until the real 32KHz crystal shows up.

Looks safe to me.

All powered by a cute little PIC Microcontroller programmed in Assembly and some parts from a Soviet-era frequency counter. I love old technology :3:

That is awesome, nice job!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jick Magger posted:

Welp I meant to post this yesterday, but forgot.

I spent last week implementing a Beatmania IIDX sim in html5 canvas, in celebration of 5/11 (5.1.1. is a "famous" song in the series, as it's been in all 20 versions of the game. Every year I try to make as big of a deal out of it as reasonably possible, because I think it's funny how not a real holiday it is to most people on Earth).
I'm kind of surprised there wasn't already a canvas music-game sim, at least none that I could find.

Command+Shift+4, Michael. :)

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Nixie tubes are awesome. And they aren't that expensive, if you can find someone to sell you some.

I worked around a nasty problem for my BeagleBone Black port of BeagleSNES. Due to the implementation of USB support in the Linux kernel for the BBB, hotplugged USB devices won't work. That means that if you unplug a gamepad, it won't be recognized when you plug it back in. The USB port goes "dead" at that point. Luckily, after picking through the BBB-specific kernel patches and the kernel source, I found a workaround!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf8twsuxXBc

I can force a USB bus rescan and "bring it back alive" using some trickery from userspace. And it works! It's clunky, but it gets the job done. I can plug and unplug my USB gamepad all day long now.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Making a nub for better number entry on the iPad. There are three sliding areas for adjusting the value at different scales (1, 0.1, 0.01). Double-tap to reset.

edit: drat that first gif was sped up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

lord funk posted:

Making a nub for better number entry on the iPad. There are three sliding areas for adjusting the value at different scales (1, 0.1, 0.01). Double-tap to reset.

edit: drat that first gif was sped up

Very cool, but since the units are "finer" as you move right, the ruler spacing seems reversed to me... the wide spaces should move by bigger amounts than the tighter spacing. Although I understand the "it's the same ruler zoomed in" paradigm you are using. Time for some user research!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Ah, inspired by iOS's native video scrubbing where if you drag the bar down, it gets finer! If you want to take further inspiration, you can just use words like that.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

crazysim posted:

Ah, inspired by iOS's native video scrubbing where if you drag the bar down, it gets finer! If you want to take further inspiration, you can just use words like that.

Kind of. The actual inspiration comes from NI Absynth, which has three individual chicklets for each degree of control.

Regarding the reversal of the line density: I can see it both ways. I'll have to play around with it.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You could possibly add minor tick marks between the existing lines on the second and third column. Wouldn't add much clutter and would be reminiscent of millimetre/inch-fraction marks on a ruler which should hopefully be clear to people that the columns on the right give finer grained control.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I've been working on my money managing-app and it's soon ready for the Market.

The idea is that you take the money you have to live on for the month split it into a daily budget. The app then adds this daily budget each day and when you buy stuff you log it in the app. If you don't buy anything for a couple of days, you accumulate money and can go out and drink beers or whatever with a clean conscience. If you buy too much your budget will become negative and then it is time to cut back on expenses a couple of days. I've tried to make it as easy and fast as possible to log transactions so that it can be done quickly like when waiting for the card transaction to go through.

It's also a nice way to see where those small day-to-day transactions that add up over time go.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

lord funk posted:

Kind of. The actual inspiration comes from NI Absynth, which has three individual chicklets for each degree of control.

Regarding the reversal of the line density: I can see it both ways. I'll have to play around with it.

From a usability perspective (and, in my opinion, an intuitive one), I think you have it correct. You're providing finer degrees of control which means providing a mechanism for which the user can easily pick out finer granularity. Reversing it would make it just a more visual spinner control.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Snow and a real tileset done for my game- it's cool to see it start looking like, well, a game instead of an engine test. I still need to get my hands on Spine so I can replace the player graphic, though. Also crossposting some thumbnails I drafted up for area concepts:

The pictured snowy area is the glass dome thumbnail. I want to get some rough tilesets put together for each area so I can start on them- I'm excited to finally be getting near the level design portion of a project for once!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Snow and a real tileset done for my game- it's cool to see it start looking like, well, a game instead of an engine test. I still need to get my hands on Spine so I can replace the player graphic, though. Also crossposting some thumbnails I drafted up for area concepts:

The pictured snowy area is the glass dome thumbnail. I want to get some rough tilesets put together for each area so I can start on them- I'm excited to finally be getting near the level design portion of a project for once!
You're eventually going to redo the character sprite too, right?

It almost fits with some of the new tiles, but, it's still very obviously a painted-over Metroid sprite. Can't tell if it's final or not.

EDIT: Crossposting from the design thread. This took way longer than it should have, but I'm pretty dang proud of it. First time I've written a dialog system. Yes, that font needs to go. Doesn't really work :(

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 16, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Definitely replacing it. I'm going to use Spine for my character / enemy animation. I wasn't far enough into the project before to shell out the money for it, but now I'm getting to the point where I need it. Samus is there right now just so I can get an idea of how movement feels- it's hard to gauge with an animationless collision square.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shalinor posted:

You're eventually going to redo the character sprite too, right?

It almost fits with some of the new tiles, but, it's still very obviously a painted-over Metroid sprite. Can't tell if it's final or not.

EDIT: Crossposting from the design thread. This took way longer than it should have, but I'm pretty dang proud of it. First time I've written a dialog system. Yes, that font needs to go. Doesn't really work :(

Have you considered a short delay between each speech bubble appearing?
It looks good, but it seems a little jarring when you ask a question but immediately get both a response and your character's next line on screen at the exact same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

~Coxy posted:

Have you considered a short delay between each speech bubble appearing?
It looks good, but it seems a little jarring when you ask a question but immediately get both a response and your character's next line on screen at the exact same time.

I felt the same way. It might also be nice to color the "response" speech bubble differently or make it pulse or something so that it's more clear when you have choices to make or when the game is awaiting your input to advance the conversation. As it is I'm reading all the lines in the same "voice" and the pacing of the conversation seems very odd.