Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Patter Song posted:

If you're playing without the beta patch, there's a bug where the colonial ranges would act like the Suez Canal existed whether it did or not...it's been solved in the beta patch. Now Austria will only heavily colonize if the Suez is built before/during the Scramble.

Hah, that explains how the hell Russia siezed so much of Africa in one of my pre-patch games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Friend Commuter posted:

Does the game consider whether Austria/whoever else has military access through Suez? Does that even affect whether you can send ships through the canals?

Anyone can use the canal unless you're at war with the country that owns it iirc.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I keep getting insane amounts of pirate raid events in EU3 as the Ming after the Koreans kick them out of the country. Is there any way to stop them? I've put ships on patrol and in some ports that are affected but it doesn't seem to help. The Paradox forums showed some similar contents but fixes involved changing the code. Is this a common issue? It completely destroyed my economy as one of the easiest nations to keep in the black.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

So I haven't played EU3 since before the 5.2 beta patch. I see that Miscmods has sort of died and Kersch was working on an expanded version, but I can't track down what the latest 5.2b-compatible Miscmods version is or where to download it. Anyone have a link?

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Jazerus posted:

So I haven't played EU3 since before the 5.2 beta patch. I see that Miscmods has sort of died and Kersch was working on an expanded version, but I can't track down what the latest 5.2b-compatible Miscmods version is or where to download it. Anyone have a link?

This is my expanded Miscmods experiment which I haven't really added anything to in a long time. It's a standalone mod, and you need to delete your current miscmods folder before installing it. It's for 5.1, but can be made compatible with 5.2 using a compatibility patch. Here's MiscMods Expanded:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53665060/MiscModsExpanded1_0.zip

And here is the 5.2 compatibility patch for it. You just need to plop it into the installation of Miscmods Expanded:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53665060/miscmod799-5.2fix-1.3.rar

Kersch fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 13, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fascists get all the best flags.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
In the tradition of eagles, hawks and such, New Zealand should've had a kiwi :colbert:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of things you don't see every day:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

So I discovered gold in one of my provinces as Imperial Japan in 1836 and now my poor taxes suddenly raised about 1000% and are now £1000/day. :psyduck:

Apparently there's enough gold to make 250,000 gold miners insanely rich.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Anyone know what files I have to edit how in order to keep my spheres despite falling to a Jacobin revolution? I really want to make Russia the freest country on earth, but my Chinese and Balkan spheres :negative: This is in HoD with NNM if that's relevant.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Anyone know what files I have to edit how in order to keep my spheres despite falling to a Jacobin revolution? I really want to make Russia the freest country on earth, but my Chinese and Balkan spheres :negative: This is in HoD with NNM if that's relevant.

Go into your save file, find your country and change your government type to Democracy. That way you'll keep the effects of the revolution and your sphere.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

uPen posted:

Go into your save file, find your country and change your government type to Democracy. That way you'll keep the effects of the revolution and your sphere.

That should do the trick, thanks :)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

So I discovered gold in one of my provinces as Imperial Japan in 1836 and now my poor taxes suddenly raised about 1000% and are now £1000/day. :psyduck:

Apparently there's enough gold to make 250,000 gold miners insanely rich.

Yeah, Japan really doesn't have any trouble with money, the Kobe gold mine will make sure of that. In AHD, I would run -25% tarrifs just for shits and giggles, because that one mine supplied more money than I knew what to do with.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there anything that can be done to speed up Victoria 2 further aside from the 2GB fix? NNM in AHD used to run as fast as unmodded, but the HOD version has a noticeable performance hit that's more like one was running PDM/APD.

EDIT: I just want all the extra tags to balkanize large nations with :(

EDIT EDIT: On that note, it would be nice if you could see the eligible targets for Liberate Country/Free People while you're just selecting it for Justification, instead of only seeing it when you're about to declare war.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 9, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Try the "untransparent map mod".

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Riso posted:

Try the "untransparent map mod".

Oh, my god, thank you so much for this. I've been wanting something like this since I bought it originally. I haven't tested it to see if there's any performance improvement, but now I can actually see the borders between states and provinces. Squinting to try to make out the borders used to make me literally nauseous when I played too long.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, this might seem like a stupid question, but is there a way that I (as a newly-westernized and GP'd Japan) can get a bunch of my people to move to Borneo? Since I'd like to mix some of the Japanese in with the formerly-Brunei (I think it was) people, just so that not everyone over there hates me. I mean, I was thinking the immigration NF might work, but I wasn't sure if it affected my own people looking for a change in scenery, or only those from other nations who want to settle somewhere in my country.

Thanks (and sorry for any typos; I'm writing this up on my phone, and the cursor disagrees with SA, so it's a slight pain!)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Major Isoor posted:

So, this might seem like a stupid question, but is there a way that I (as a newly-westernized and GP'd Japan) can get a bunch of my people to move to Borneo? Since I'd like to mix some of the Japanese in with the formerly-Brunei (I think it was) people, just so that not everyone over there hates me. I mean, I was thinking the immigration NF might work, but I wasn't sure if it affected my own people looking for a change in scenery, or only those from other nations who want to settle somewhere in my country.

Thanks (and sorry for any typos; I'm writing this up on my phone, and the cursor disagrees with SA, so it's a slight pain!)

I'm pretty sure the "Attract Immigrant" NF only affects people within your own country, actually - it doesn't have an effect on outside immigration.

Yeah, it's a bit counter-intuitive.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tomn posted:

I'm pretty sure the "Attract Immigrant" NF only affects people within your own country, actually - it doesn't have an effect on outside immigration.

It makes sense to me. It would be kind of difficult convince people from all of the world to just pack up and head to your country. I always figured "Attract Immigrant" was an abstraction of things like selling land at artificially cheap prices, offering tax incentives and so on to your people to incentivize your people to move to new land. Basically taping this up all over the place:

Of course, that might be better served by the word "migration" and not "immigration."

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Tomn posted:

That's what I thought too, but lately I've seen more than a few people on the Paradox forum state that changed in HoD, and now it does have an effect on outside immigration. I tried it in a Texas game once post-HoD and it certainly didn't seem like it had changed, but I dunno.

Can anyone playing the beta patch tell me how much more effective the AI UK is at waging war? I've started gobbling up Canada (if you take Ontario early they don't seem to bother releasing Canada as a dominion) and Mexico (UK ally in my game) and they have sent all of a 3 ship navy to stop me. Their allies the Austrians and Dutch have at least sent a few armies, but nothing from the UK. I don't even have any allies bothering them elsewhere, they could be landing massive amounts of troops in through Newfoundland, they just....aren't.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sheriff posted:

That's what I thought too, but lately I've seen more than a few people on the Paradox forum state that changed in HoD, and now it does have an effect on outside immigration. I tried it in a Texas game once post-HoD and it certainly didn't seem like it had changed, but I dunno.

Can anyone playing the beta patch tell me how much more effective the AI UK is at waging war? I've started gobbling up Canada (if you take Ontario early they don't seem to bother releasing Canada as a dominion) and Mexico (UK ally in my game) and they have sent all of a 3 ship navy to stop me. Their allies the Austrians and Dutch have at least sent a few armies, but nothing from the UK. I don't even have any allies bothering them elsewhere, they could be landing massive amounts of troops in through Newfoundland, they just....aren't.

They will drop stacks and stacks of troops on you with the patch. They go from doing nothing to completely emptying the home isles and letting the French occupy London.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, the immigration NF works for this, though highly populated states need a lot of settlers for it to really matter. Even as China, whose enormous population seems to have decided China sucks, can't really be sure that the NF will overwhelm local populations. Though admittedly it can also work really well, so I guess it depends on factors I'm not entirely clear on. Managed to turn Vietnam and half of Cambodia >90% Chinese in my recent game, while the states I had taken from Burma didn't see near as much immigration. Are coastal states more attractive perhaps? That should at least help you with your Borneo project if that's the case.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Meanwhile I'm watching paris just bleed population, like -2000 a month and none of my stupid colonies getting anyone. And even in my colonies that are like 11% french even with a admin NF after many years I've got maybe 0.1% bureaucrat population.

How is state formed? How colony get statehood?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Meanwhile I'm watching paris just bleed population, like -2000 a month and none of my stupid colonies getting anyone. And even in my colonies that are like 11% french even with a admin NF after many years I've got maybe 0.1% bureaucrat population.

I don't bother going for statehood in a colony unless it's low pop or randomly decided to get a large influx of colonists. Even then, a high population colony will take many years to hit 1% bureaucrats.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Yeah turning colonies into states is nigh impossible unless it's a) a colony in the new world (so like the USA can turn Washington into a state, Canada can turn northern Canada into a state, etc), b) you start with a good number of pops in that province already (as I recall Spain's random islands in Africa have a large number of Spaniards), c) random luck, or d) if you're playing with the GSG mod/the Napoleon's Legacy mod, you can genocide the locals a few times so the 200 farmers of your culture suddenly do make up 1% of the province. I believe north African colonies can become states fairly easily as well, as I normally see Casablanca flip to my primary culture pretty frequently but Casablanca may be special.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think anything has changed in this regard since the last time you posted about this. Or the time before that, and before that again, and again... :v:

(For 11% French to become 1% French bureaucrats you would need 9% of the total population to become bureaucrats, which is just a huge waste. Would be better served by using the immigration NF to get more French people there first, then use the bureaucrats NF when the French population is more significant.)

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I don't know whether to be impressed or annoyed at how quickly your allies can desert you in this game. Fought one of the bloodies battles in the history of the world (100k v 200k is pretty drat big) to keep their capital out of enemy hands? gently caress you, ten years later they still want Elsass-Lothringen back, and call in my Russian allies (200 relations) on their side. I also can never get anyone to back me in a crisis because of "political concerns".

Related question: how do I get my capitalists to BUILD loving TANKS YOU DUMBASSES?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love some event similar to the integrating a state event that gave you some infamy and pissed off the locals for colonies. Something that basically forced or heavily encouraged your people to move there and "encouraged" the locals to assimilate.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Grizzwold posted:

I don't know whether to be impressed or annoyed at how quickly your allies can desert you in this game. Fought one of the bloodies battles in the history of the world (100k v 200k is pretty drat big) to keep their capital out of enemy hands? gently caress you, ten years later they still want Elsass-Lothringen back, and call in my Russian allies (200 relations) on their side. I also can never get anyone to back me in a crisis because of "political concerns".

Related question: how do I get my capitalists to BUILD loving TANKS YOU DUMBASSES?

They will never build tank factories, I think. Switch to State Capitalism or Planned Economy and build the factories yourself.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of switching parties, in my Austria game my gov was "HM's Gov" and it let me appoint ruling parties for when the voters screw up and don't elect a state capitalist. I'm playing france now and my gov is HM's rather than democracy, yet I can't appoint parties.

Also man the french parties are terrible.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of switching parties, in my Austria game my gov was "HM's Gov" and it let me appoint ruling parties for when the voters screw up and don't elect a state capitalist. I'm playing france now and my gov is HM's rather than democracy, yet I can't appoint parties.

Also man the french parties are terrible.

I don't know about this, but I'm itching for the Age of Politics mod to get updated and get confirmed compatibility with NNM - I hate the fact that HM's Gov can appoint parties, and that mod's other changes look good also.

Also, one question for everybody: Is there a known bug for influence and spheres resetting upon reloading a game? I'm playing an Ethiopia game, and it's kinda ruined it now that I load a save and I'm no longer in the UK's sphere - Everything is reset to 0 Neutral (incidentally, it ruins it because they immediately intervene in my war since I'm not in their sphere)

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Is the New Nations Mod compatible with the beta patch?

Also, one of my friends tells me I should use the Pop Demand mod, but I've heard mixed things in this thread. What's the general consensus? Should I go with Pop Demand or just use New Nations Mod?

I'm almost done with my first game of vanilla HoD (no patch) as the UK (surprisingly I wasn't overwhelmed) and I've had a shitload of fun with it. My only complaints really were the wonky colonisation in Africa and the AI being too eager to release dominions.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Bishop Rodan posted:

Is the New Nations Mod compatible with the beta patch?

Yes.

quote:

Also, one of my friends tells me I should use the Pop Demand mod, but I've heard mixed things in this thread. What's the general consensus? Should I go with Pop Demand or just use New Nations Mod?

Personally I think the vanilla economy is pretty good now, and PDM makes some very bad decisions about the military - Plus the slowdown is considerably worse than NNM. Personally I think the NNM adds the best bits of PDM (I.E. the new nations).

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Age of Politics should work just fine with the beta.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it ok to stack mods? Like I'm using NNM but can I shovel age of politics in there as well? How do you tell if mods play well together?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Narrator posted:

In the tradition of eagles, hawks and such, New Zealand should've had a kiwi :colbert:

Fascist Flags: Put a bird on it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Baronjutter posted:

Is it ok to stack mods? Like I'm using NNM but can I shovel age of politics in there as well? How do you tell if mods play well together?

Other than running it and just seeing if anything borks, if two mods generally don't have the same focus, they will play well together. NNM makes small changes everywhere while AoP focuses on political changes so they may be okay. I'm thinking of trying them out together myself, I always felt NNM had room to expand on the politics front.

E: I have both running right now and so far, everything seems to be in order. The political parties the mod adds seem to be in place, the renaming of existing governments works, the only thing I have to check is do parties vote in the way the mod wants them to, and compare the history files to see what changed in the Netherlands and the USA and see if it worked.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 9, 2013

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I just took a look back through the thread to find the POP tool for V2 and the list of working (or at some point working) converters someone made, but can't seem to find it.

Any help in that regard?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZearothK posted:

This editor works for Rome, EU3, HoI3 and V2, it really should be added to the OP, since this question comes up a lot.

The POPAdjuster in this thread is an amazing tool for quickly editing POPs for a mod. Make sure you backup your files until you're familiar with it.

POPAdjuster really is fantastic and makes converting POPs quite easy. You can set it to search for any provinces owned or cored by a specific nations and then change POPs (specific or general) by a percentage or even to other types. So say, for example, you have a new nation around Brazil that is meant to be densely populated and industrialized by protestants, so you can tell the tool to search for cores of your new nation, and then change all Brazilian POPs to your new culture and religion, and then increase population by 150%, and then you can tell it to convert 2% of the labourers into craftstmen so you have people to work in the factories. It takes about a minute, it's easier than blitzing Belgium.

There's also the new Victoria II Nation Establisher. I haven't used it as it only came out after I was done with creating nations, but apparently it automates the coding part of setting technology, government type, literacy, names, colours, flags, political parties, et al. So it should come in handy.

What I mean is that the modding tools people keep asking about already exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does pop adjuster work with established save games? Like I could say... add 1% of my culture's bureaucrats to a colony maybe?

• Locked thread