Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ryaomon posted:

Poeple who already have millions upon millions of dollars should not do a kickstarter.

Well, if everyone agrees with you then their kickstarter will not make any money, so the issue will solve itself, won't it.

VVVVV will do, wasn't trying to stir up poo poo VVVVV

Ashenai has a new favorite as of 22:00 on May 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ashenai posted:

Well, if everyone agrees with you then their kickstarter will not make any money, so the issue will solve itself, won't it.

Please stop it or you're going to take this thread straight to poo poo town over a worthless topic.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Who the gently caress thinks of making a $10 Kickstarter project before putting up a page on their site with a button to donate money to this thing? Oh wait the donation button would probably take more in fees herp derp how stupid of me.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Ryaomon posted:

Poeple who already have millions upon millions of dollars should not do a kickstarter.

Should they not be able to sell things in stores either? If you kickstart the Veronica Mars movie, you get a copy of the movie. If you kickstart the PA podcast, you get early access to the podcasts. If that's a product/service that you want, give them money. Who cares?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elissia posted:

Who the gently caress thinks of making a $10 Kickstarter project before putting up a page on their site with a button to donate money to this thing? Oh wait the donation button would probably take more in fees herp derp how stupid of me.

Nah it probably wouldn't cost more, but a $10 kickstarter (or a kickstareter in general) that's an excuse for selling merchandise comes with a whole lot more attention.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Translation: We'll take what we can get from you sheep.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I see their point though. I mean, what would a reasonable goal for a podcast be? The Retronauts guys were more or less doing it from scratch and they set their goal at $12000 to get equipment and so on. It sounds like the PA folks already have most of the equipment. They could set the goal at $1000 (or whatever it actually costs), but what would even be the point? There was never any doubt that they were going to make it, so they may as well just take the free marketing that comes with setting the initial goal that low.

Sure, they're making money on this, on some level they're a business, they're not going to turn away what's basically free money, but who cares? This isn't them scamming everyone because they won't get enough to get the project going. This was NEVER going to fail. I mean you can argue about the value proposition (and it's certainly not something that appeals to me personally). But people clearly think it's worth giving money to, so good for everyone involved. I honestly can't see who loses here.

Elephantgun
Feb 13, 2010

I don't understand why they're doing it, though. Making podcasts profitable is hard - really hard - but they're a corporation and they can make it work. It would bring more traffic to the site and probably make them money in the long run. I guess I don't get why they even need the 10 dollars to begin with. Or 1000 dollars. Or 100,000 dollars. They're just selling extremely overppriced merchandise at this point.

EDIT: I removed it from the original post, and I somehow missed the paragraph where they do need recording equipment and a sound engineer, but my point still stands. They really don't need "your" 10 dollars, they're just selling poo poo.

Elephantgun has a new favorite as of 22:55 on May 8, 2013

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Donald Trump has started his own Kickstarter clone: http://allthingsd.com/20130508/donald-trump-launches-fundanything-a-kickstarter-clone-meant-to-bring-crowdfunding-to-the-masses/

This will surely attract all manner of projects worthy of this thread.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

UncleSmoothie posted:

Donald Trump has started his own Kickstarter clone: http://allthingsd.com/20130508/donald-trump-launches-fundanything-a-kickstarter-clone-meant-to-bring-crowdfunding-to-the-masses/

"Bring crowdfunding to the masses"? Someone in editorial phoned this one in.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
The reason it's scummy is because kickstarter is supposed to be a way for people to fund projects that they can't on their own. It Carries a ton of credibility and exposure along with the name, which helps no-name companies get publicity. PA are already famous and can obviously fund this with the change in between their couch cushions, they're just milking their own popularity with idiot internet users who still see them as "Indie" or whatever.

I mean, might as well gush over a Microsoft kickstarter, or a Cadillac one.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

They got like millions of dollars in another Kickstarter last year.

To remove one banner ad from their site.

To be fair, it probably costs a lot to keep their site up. Not nearly that much though. I'm hoping some of the money went to their charity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Drunk Tomato posted:

The reason it's scummy is because kickstarter is supposed to be a way for people to fund projects that they can't on their own.

Not really. It's supposed to be a funding platform, period. As in, for anything.

This has been clear with Kickstarter since they started, they merely gained an indie rep by the fact that big time people didn't have any reason to use them at the start.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rapdawg posted:

To be fair, it probably costs a lot to keep their site up. Not nearly that much though. I'm hoping some of the money went to their charity.

Nah, the argument they used was that they needed money comparable to the amount of revenue they'd lose from not having said ad on their front page.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

UncleSmoothie posted:

http://fundanything.com/en

http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/baby-shades
Baby shades, eyewear for your babies.

http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/822
This dude wants money to buy some bikes for his business. Not that you get anything in return. Seriously most of these projects have no rewards.

http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/7818
I don't even know

quote:

Hi, I'm Bruce. I'm a philosopher, an artist, a theologian, a counselor, and a student of life. I know how we are motivated and determined by the unseen stuff and inner values, thoughts and feelings that fill the backs of our minds.
Please follow this link; http://www.brubfm.com

It's easy for us to get caught up in the outer physical world. We see it so vividly and it so easily captures all of our attention. But we all know that life is really not just about
the physical world and probably the most important stuff is non-physical.

People live not just in the physical world but also in the spiritual world and the mental world. We don't understand these so well, especially the spiritual. My passion is to help
people learn more and more about their spiritual being and help it develop and grow into the true person they are and are to be. I call this process Creating Spiritual Gold.

I seek funding for this project to help me reach more people with this learning, present workshops, and do more writing. I've asked for $2500 here to give me a little boost in
getting the project more known.

I'd also like it if you called me or emailed me with your ideas and questions as well as share this link with your friends and help me spread the word.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
perhaps Trump can use Trumpfunding for his 2016 campaign

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Kind of lolling at meltdowns over the podcast thing on Twitter. I'm sure they could eat the cost whatever it is, but I'm curious what it would actually be? Like if their goal was to get a moderate studio set up for a long-term podcast/side project/interview space, and hire a dude for 10 hours a week? And I guess bandwidth - 4 podcasts a month, at 45 minutes, say 30000 downloads each - 5 terabytes/month maybe? I have no idea if that all costs like 2000 dollars or 20000 for a 20 episode season.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
The Trump one just has to be some kind of elaborate tax dodge/charity donation shell game.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

King of Gulps posted:

Kind of lolling at meltdowns over the podcast thing on Twitter. I'm sure they could eat the cost whatever it is, but I'm curious what it would actually be? Like if their goal was to get a moderate studio set up for a long-term podcast/side project/interview space, and hire a dude for 10 hours a week? And I guess bandwidth - 4 podcasts a month, at 45 minutes, say 30000 downloads each - 5 terabytes/month maybe? I have no idea if that all costs like 2000 dollars or 20000 for a 20 episode season.

Don't forget the fact that they're also going to charge money for each episode of the podcast, too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Drakkel posted:

Don't forget the fact that they're also going to charge money for each episode of the podcast, too.

Everyone who contributes to the kickstarter gets those episodes free as long as they donated at a certain tier though

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

King of Gulps posted:

Kind of lolling at meltdowns over the podcast thing on Twitter.

Examples?

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

Actually the episodes will be pay what you want, they said in the latest news post that they want it to be free for anyone who wants to download it off the site. The kickstarter is for the people who want to support it and get stuff for their donations, such as the outtakes or the thumbdrive with the episodes on it.

Edit: Looking through the local section of Kickstarter is like a treasure trove of terrible. Only $30k for a terrible stoner movie critic puppet show? :v:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1731694543/critics

Chekans 3 16 has a new favorite as of 05:50 on May 9, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Edit: Looking through the local section of Kickstarter is like a treasure trove of terrible.

Man, you weren't kidding. Help this guy get his weird, furry crayon book self published:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1990924245/the-story-teller?ref=home_location

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Story Quest for OUYA - 100% Free to Play Online Multiplayer MMORPG.

Apart from the pan across a bunch of iMacs in the pitch video, my favourite aspect is font in the info images:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's like they purposefully picked the hardest to read font they could find that wasn't just a bunch of symbols.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Kickstarter seems to have an abundance of dice kickstarters, which all seem to get confusingly large amounts of money. Unless there's some huge dice collector market I happen to be unaware of, I'm not sure who is chucking this much money at dice.

Anyway, probably the just plain silliest of the many dice kickstarters is this. They're dice! But with different coloured pips on a couple of sides! Otherwise they're exactly the same and look just as bad as the plastic dice you get with any children's board game.

I find it funny they stress the importance of coming up with your own games to play with them, or variants on existing ones probably because not even they really know what these things are meant to do.

They did come up with a couple of ideas for games that specifically use the "Dang-It Dice" and one of them is a slight variant on Blackjack and the other one is called "Dangle take the Hindmost", which is far funnier than anything I could ever come up with to mock it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
They're for D&D and other tabletop gaming nerds, duh.

I carry my dice bag everywhere I go, just in case I need to throw down. This includes my set of Dwarven metal dice that I got in a Traditional Games Secret Santa one year.

Gamers love interesting dice and especially ones that are made out of interesting things. I've seen dice for sale made out of the bones of wooly mammoths. But now I can't find them so maybe they sold out or shut down after being revealed to be a scam.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

"I accept ANY donation. Minimum is $5.00"

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

A quote from the updates section of that babyshades thing:

quote:

I've raised $60.00 so far and used it to purchase raw materials to make a prototype. Still working on that but seeking more funding to proceed.

Don't think he gets how kickstarter works.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
:nws: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1877286117/beauty-and-the-fat-erotic-plus-size-portraits

Found this one locally, was sucked in by the amazing title. I get what she's going for, but goddamn are those some awful portraits.

The video is also spectacularly bland.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Obnoxipus posted:

:nws: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1877286117/beauty-and-the-fat-erotic-plus-size-portraits

Found this one locally, was sucked in by the amazing title. I get what she's going for, but goddamn are those some awful portraits.

:nws: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/575/607/cab01b335663aedaf10bcc7f1997c49a_large.JPG?1368030448 :nws:

Okay excuse me what is going on there. That's not right.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think that's supposed to be lacey underwear, not asscrack hair.

EDIT: Emphasis on "supposed to be".

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Story Quest for OUYA - 100% Free to Play Online Multiplayer MMORPG.

Apart from the pan across a bunch of iMacs in the pitch video, my favourite aspect is font in the info images:

His gameplay update video consists almost entirely of "I followed the tutorials to make your first game". Look, it's a 3d world you can walk around in. And move the camera! And it's using models and art assets taken from the internet! Surely this guy can turn that into a full fledged MMORPG!

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006

UncleSmoothie posted:

Oh what a treasure trove of lovely projects:
First we got the classical "Fund my life" stuff:
http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/tricia-and-dan-adopt: Couple with poison womb (http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1219, not that lady) decides to adopt, and lo-and-behold it costs money.
http://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/7123: I need one class to finish my master, but I've got no good picture of me

Then this:
A bluetooth controlled light bulb:

That reminds me of something....like a kickstarter for the Wifi-enabled light bulb:

And the header image:

reminds me of

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I want to troll that so hard. Just Trump everything. Trump Toupees, Trumpmobiles, Trumpphones, Trump Energy Drinks

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Alan Smithee posted:

I want to troll that so hard. Just Trump everything. Trump Toupees, Trumpmobiles, Trumpphones, Trump Energy Drinks

I want to put together a 10,000 dollar campaign to poo poo on a fine art portrait of Donald Trump, but I don't get it - I get charged 9% if I don't reach my goal? So if my campaign fails to earn 10,000$, I have to pay Donald Trump 900 dollars?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Obnoxipus posted:

I hate this embracing your fatness poo poo. Does she embrace heart disease and diabetes also?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

The Human Crouton posted:

I hate this embracing your fatness poo poo. Does she embrace heart disease and diabetes also?
The Kickstarter is awful enough in its own right. We don't need this stupid derail which has been done millions of times.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The new Penny Arcade kickstarter makes me want to try running one. Stretch goal: I'll do more than one podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm pretty sure half of these things already exist. Doesn't trump sell phones through a pyramid scheme?