Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just got back from an early showing of Iron Man 3, and there was a great little exchange with Tony and Rhodes (not really a spoiler)

Tony: I'm out of ammo, gimme a clip!
Rhodes: I don't have any.
Tony: I saw you grab, like, five clips!
Rhodes: Yeah, for MY gun. They're not universal, you know!

A nice little nod/acknowledgement to all the movies that do seem to treat all clips/magazines as universal.

Check out The Way of the Gun , if you have yet to see it.

It almost makes Heat look like a cartoon for the amount of correct gunmanship that is show thoughout

Particularly the use of tactical reloads, which I don't think I have ever seen in any other movie (open to correction)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time
Rewatched Dark Knight Rises tonight and noticed something that may or may not have been intentional. On at least two occasions Before her character reveal Miranda makes sudden Batman-like appearances behind people. She sneaks up on Bruce as he is entering the manor in the rain and later appears behind Gordon. Might be a hint about her ninja training, might just be weird editing.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Luckluster posted:

Rewatched Dark Knight Rises tonight and noticed something that may or may not have been intentional. On at least two occasions Before her character reveal Miranda makes sudden Batman-like appearances behind people. She sneaks up on Bruce as he is entering the manor in the rain and later appears behind Gordon. Might be a hint about her ninja training, might just be weird editing.
She also utters the line 'Do what is necessary' to Bruce when he returns to Gotham and they meet up in the kangaroo court. That was a phrase said repeatedly by Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins..

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I was gonna say, once you read about how Ken Kesey thought that mental illness literally did not exist and was just The Man keeping people down for being different it completely changes how you perceive the Chief's scizophrenic ramblings.

What no please don't say this is true

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sappo569 posted:

Particularly the use of tactical reloads, which I don't think I have ever seen in any other movie (open to correction)
It also has really good use/misuse of cover and the best possible outcome of a Hollywood "roll to safety" maneuver.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Xander77 posted:

It also has really good use/misuse of cover and the best possible outcome of a Hollywood "roll to safety" maneuver.

The one where he dives into a pit and it's filled with broken glass?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Two Finger posted:

Oh yeah. That and the sheer amount of lead that gets thrown around without hitting anything make that final gunfight so amazing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Two Finger posted:

Indeed.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

In Django Unchained, Dr. King was a dentist before becoming a bounty hunter. He goes after the Brittle brothers (peanut brittle) and Candie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Excision when someone spray paints "Pauline is a oval office" on her house they misspelled it and had to cross over the k.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Augster posted:

In Django Unchained, Dr. King was a dentist before becoming a bounty hunter. He goes after the Brittle brothers (peanut brittle) and Candie.

I see someone read reddit the other day. :thumbsup:

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I see someone read reddit the other day. :thumbsup:

Was it you? Oh boy, it WAS you!

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
In Ratatouille, Ego's typewriter's inner workings resemble a skull.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fuckpot posted:

She also utters the line 'Do what is necessary' to Bruce when he returns to Gotham and they meet up in the kangaroo court. That was a phrase said repeatedly by Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins..

In the scene where she's talking to Bruce at the fundraiser earlier in the movie her entire speech mirrors what Ra's said to Bruce back at the League headquarters way back in Begins.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

burnsep posted:

Was it you? Oh boy, it WAS you!

You're drat right it was.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Roger Tangerines posted:

He also checks the vintage of his wine before deciding whether to spit it out or swallow it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Roger Tangerines posted:

And his office was a coffin and he a vulture. It's amazing how Pixar hid their most human character behind such a creepy design.

Mad Moxxi
Apr 29, 2010

It's tough being cute.
I just had moment of clarity in regards to Iron Man 3. In the end, immediately after getting the shrapnel removed from his chest, Tony puts a necklace on Pepper. The chain is made up of the pieces of shrapnel, and they all point toward the pendant, which is a heart. Not sure how subtle they were going for, but it was interesting to see.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
It's probably only subtle to me because I'm a idiot but it only hit me half-way through Four Lions that the protagonist works in a bloody airport.
I'm sure it was a blatant joke for everyone else.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I thought he worked in a mall or something.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I thought he worked in a mall or something.

Yeah I thought he was a security guard in a shopping center or a car park or something.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Just saw Iron Man 3 and noticed a very subtle nod. At one point when Tony is fighting one of the Extremis solders(don't remember who), he tells them something along the lines of "Take it easy, Westworld." in reference to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/?ref_=sr_1 . I think I'm the only one that laughed.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny

When Jack and Kyle are going into the Open Mic Night towards the end they argue over the pick in front of a wall of posted bills. One of them is for Prostitute Laundry from Sifl and Olly.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Kiki's Delivery Service, much like any other Miyazaki film, is full of tiny flourishes and touches. The most impressive one is her flying. It seems so well thought out, it really feels like a real part of the world. There's physics and skill to it and they never explain that she has to really concentrate to do it, but every time she loses focus for even a second to think about something else she dips a little bit. And the turning by kicking off of things like she's on a raft or something really brings it all together.

Also in Iron Man 3 Tony uses the Mark 1 suit to meet Rhodey at a bar. It's sort of like his shortrange travel suit I guess because it's covered in dings and paint scratches like he just uses it as a beater when he doesn't wanna waste power or something in one of his better suits. You can also notice damage on some of the other suits like the Iron Patriot as the movie progresses. Iron Patriot is covered in dings because Rhodey wouldn't care about his suits paintjob, but Tony's suits are mostly pristine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Unmature posted:

Also in Iron Man 3 Tony uses the Mark 1 suit to meet Rhodey at a bar. It's sort of like his shortrange travel suit I guess because it's covered in dings and paint scratches like he just uses it as a beater when he doesn't wanna waste power or something in one of his better suits. You can also notice damage on some of the other suits like the Iron Patriot as the movie progresses. Iron Patriot is covered in dings because Rhodey wouldn't care about his suits paintjob, but Tony's suits are mostly pristine.

That might have been his Mk. III, I didn't notice, but wasn't the Mk. I the scrap suit he built in the Afghani cave?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

That might have been his Mk. III, I didn't notice, but wasn't the Mk. I the scrap suit he built in the Afghani cave?

It was [OLD SUIT].

Mad Moxxi
Apr 29, 2010

It's tough being cute.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Mk I was the iron heap that he built in the cave (and, incidentally, the only one made completely out of iron). Mk II was silver in color, so it was probably one of the earlier suits, earliest being III. Although as seen in every movie he's been in, all his suits tend to get beat up pretty badly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Mk II suit is also the War Machine suit in the second movie.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Something I just noticed in Star Trek Generations. When Kirk and Picard are in the nexus and they enter Kirk's old house, there is a shot of Picard where you can see a Klingon Bat'leth and a TOS-era Phaser hanging on the wall behind him. It's out of focus and only shown for a second, but its a nice callback to the fact that Kirk collected weapons back in Wrath of Khan/Search for Spock.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

jabby posted:

Something I just noticed in Star Trek Generations. When Kirk and Picard are in the nexus and they enter Kirk's old house, there is a shot of Picard where you can see a Klingon Bat'leth and a TOS-era Phaser hanging on the wall behind him. It's out of focus and only shown for a second, but its a nice callback to the fact that Kirk collected weapons back in Wrath of Khan/Search for Spock.

So, if Soran hadn't shot him in the back/dropped a bridge on him, you think Kirk might have ended up one of those goony war vets gone to flab running those shady 'army surplus' stores that sells knockoff bat'leths and d'k-taghs and replica star fleet phasers with the barrels plugged along with POW-MIA dominion war flags while flashing back to iguana-men hiding in the trees?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kizudarake posted:

So, if Soran hadn't shot him in the back/dropped a bridge on him, you think Kirk might have ended up one of those goony war vets gone to flab running those shady 'army surplus' stores that sells knockoff bat'leths and d'k-taghs and replica star fleet phasers with the barrels plugged along with POW-MIA dominion war flags while flashing back to iguana-men hiding in the trees?

No.

Mostly because money doesn't exist in the federation. I think. Star Trek trivia is complicated.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MUVGTdXkzk

:allears: Deep Space Nine is the best.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Unmature posted:

It was [OLD SUIT].

Pretty sure it's not. It's one of the ones that open in the back that you can just 'step into', which is only used for the suits introduced in that film.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

queue that clip I can't find where scotty talks about buying an expensive boat.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Dan Didio posted:

Pretty sure it's not. It's one of the ones that open in the back that you can just 'step into', which is only used for the suits introduced in that film.

I assumed it was the suit from Avengers, which HAS to have a method of putting it on that doesn't involve falling from a skyscraper.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Polaron posted:

I assumed it was the suit from Avengers, which HAS to have a method of putting it on that doesn't involve falling from a skyscraper.

It might be. I don't think it is, though. I think the only time you see those suits is when they're in the glass cases.

The point of him rocking around in a beat-up suit isn't that he's rolling around in a travel-suit or anything, though, it's because of his crippling PTSD and because his suits are the only place he feels safe.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I thought it was so he woudn't ever have to find a bathroom.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really get the impression that in Iron Man 3 they used PTSD as a quick script replacement for alcoholism. I know in interviews, a few people on the production have said that Marvel asked them not to include anything about Tony's drinking problems. I get where they're coming from logically; Tony is a hero and having your hero drink to excess could easily come off as glamorizing and not a character flaw. The nerd in me however thinks Tony's drinking problem is a central part of his, admittedly, oft-lovely personality.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was immediately apparent to anyone who knows the character that he wasn't using alcohol as a salve except in that one scene where he's getting a bottle of wine out of his GIANT cooler and that Marvel/Disney went out of their way to expunge any alcohol abuse from his character. It's pretty sad, in a way. The movie was rife with great characterization and character development regardless, but there's almost something inherently pitiful about our society when the need for marketing exceeds the need to be honest about the human experience. Not to say Iron Man 3 wasn't honest, at least via the character Tony Stark... just that it could have been a nice commentary on vice and wealth in relation to genuine issues like PTSD and trying to be a better human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

It was immediately apparent to anyone who knows the character that he wasn't using alcohol as a salve except in that one scene where he's getting a bottle of wine out of his GIANT cooler and that Marvel/Disney went out of their way to expunge any alcohol abuse from his character. It's pretty sad, in a way. The movie was rife with great characterization and character development regardless, but there's almost something inherently pitiful about our society when the need for marketing exceeds the need to be honest about the human experience. Not to say Iron Man 3 wasn't honest, at least via the character Tony Stark... just that it could have been a nice commentary on vice and wealth in relation to genuine issues like PTSD and trying to be a better human being.

I liked the fact that the character struggled with PTSD, but the problem is that he never hit rock bottom. So the retirement poo poo at the end felt tacked on, and cribbed too much from batman's retirement. The ending wasn't deserved and it didn't make sense within the trilogy. If you want to get serious at the end, you have to earn it.