Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Triangulum posted:

What do you guys take for your dog when you go camping or backpacking? I'm trying to make a supply list but I feel like I'm forgetting stuff.
So far I have:
- food and water (is 1 gallon/ day enough? It'll probably be in the mid-80s to low 90s)
- collar, leash (plus spares)
- long line
- first aid kit + a handbook on dog first aid
- musher's wax
- flea comb
- couple of toys

Suggestions?

My brother has a dog backpack with a handle on it. Not only is it convenient because the dog can now carry a lot of her own supplies, but when she goes leaping into a thorn bush because she thinks she's a deer, he can reach in and pull her out with the handle. (Also, they rock climb, so they tie a rope to the handle and pull her up with them.)

He also has one of those foam sleeping mats that they don't use anymore and he cut it into a dog sized piece for her so she has a place to lay in their tent that isn't directly on the tent floor. And she has her own tiny super absorbent towel so that they can dry her off before putting her in the tent without their towels getting dog smell.

Only other thing I can think of is one of those little tick removers, which might be more useful than a flea comb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Behold the mighty mud monster

He fluffed up by this evening though

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

hhgtrillian posted:

Hey bag eating cat buddies. My one cat who passed away loved eating bags. I have another cat now that will eat some plastic stuff. He doesn't do bags often, but he loves the plastic wrapping that is on my printer paper. Why do they like to try to eat that stuff?

My cat Chief is a bag licker/chewer and when I asked, my vet said that a lot of plastic products these days are made from soy and some cats really like the taste.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I have a tick remover in my first aid kit because gently caress those things. ALL, a towel is a great idea!

Nione posted:

My brother has a dog backpack with a handle on it. Not only is it convenient because the dog can now carry a lot of her own supplies, but when she goes leaping into a thorn bush because she thinks she's a deer, he can reach in and pull her out with the handle. (Also, they rock climb, so they tie a rope to the handle and pull her up with them.)

He also has one of those foam sleeping mats that they don't use anymore and he cut it into a dog sized piece for her so she has a place to lay in their tent that isn't directly on the tent floor. And she has her own tiny super absorbent towel so that they can dry her off before putting her in the tent without their towels getting dog smell.

Only other thing I can think of is one of those little tick removers, which might be more useful than a flea comb.

Vecna unfortunately is way too young to wear a backpack but his harness and collar both have handles on them. though Flea comb is for removing burrs and debris from his fur, not fleas :)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I just got evicted for someone else's dogs. :ughh:

One of my roommates recently had to suddenly bring his dogs to live with him, because his parents gave him an ultimatum that his two beagles would be put in the pound by the end of the week if he didn't come get them. They're a pair of driveless lumps of dogflesh, more pillow than puppy, so they haven't exactly been troublesome. However, these dogs were sort of forced on the rest of the house, straining already-crumbling relations with the other roommates. This is an understandably frustrating situation. However, recently one of the other roommates has been intimidating one of the beagles (not physically abusing him, just looming and walking aggressively at him and yelling at him). When I pointed out that he was scaring the dog, in the hopes that it was just that he didn't know he was being scary, he responded "Good. He should be scared of me. He's not supposed to be here."

After a couple of days of this, I asked the guy how he would feel if I was a dick to his cat because of something he did that the cat had no comprehension of. He said that this was different because the dog wasn't even allowed to be living there. While I understand his frustrations, it really bothered me that he showed such clear satisfaction in making the dog shake at the sight of him. In my infinite wisdom, I vaguebooked about how being an intimidating jerk to a dog because of something the owner did would make someone a first class dick. I was subletting from this guy. Now I'm not.

Gotta say, this is probably the most righteous thing I've ever been kicked out of anything for. I DON'T EVEN LIKE BEAGLES.

Oh, speaking of, I'm gonna start lure tracking with them soon. They really need the exercise.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Pile of Kittens posted:

I just got evicted for someone else's dogs. :ughh:

One of my roommates recently had to suddenly bring his dogs to live with him, because his parents gave him an ultimatum that his two beagles would be put in the pound by the end of the week if he didn't come get them. They're a pair of driveless lumps of dogflesh, more pillow than puppy, so they haven't exactly been troublesome. However, these dogs were sort of forced on the rest of the house, straining already-crumbling relations with the other roommates. This is an understandably frustrating situation. However, recently one of the other roommates has been intimidating one of the beagles (not physically abusing him, just looming and walking aggressively at him and yelling at him). When I pointed out that he was scaring the dog, in the hopes that it was just that he didn't know he was being scary, he responded "Good. He should be scared of me. He's not supposed to be here."

After a couple of days of this, I asked the guy how he would feel if I was a dick to his cat because of something he did that the cat had no comprehension of. He said that this was different because the dog wasn't even allowed to be living there. While I understand his frustrations, it really bothered me that he showed such clear satisfaction in making the dog shake at the sight of him. In my infinite wisdom, I vaguebooked about how being an intimidating jerk to a dog because of something the owner did would make someone a first class dick. I was subletting from this guy. Now I'm not.

Gotta say, this is probably the most righteous thing I've ever been kicked out of anything for. I DON'T EVEN LIKE BEAGLES.

Oh, speaking of, I'm gonna start lure tracking with them soon. They really need the exercise.

You did the right thing. That guy's a loving dick and he was too ashamed of his rear end in a top hat behavior to own up to it, which is why he kicked you out. If he'd let you stay, he'd have had to refute what you said, which he couldn't because it was true, or change his behavior, which he was obviously unwilling to do because he's a dick and change is hard and requires admitting fault.

gently caress that guy. Hope you find a new place without assholes like that.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Serella posted:

You did the right thing. That guy's a loving dick and he was too ashamed of his rear end in a top hat behavior to own up to it, which is why he kicked you out. If he'd let you stay, he'd have had to refute what you said, which he couldn't because it was true, or change his behavior, which he was obviously unwilling to do because he's a dick and change is hard and requires admitting fault.

gently caress that guy. Hope you find a new place without assholes like that.

Agreed. People like that piss me off. What a dick. Good luck finding a better place with better people.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Triangulum posted:

What do you guys take for your dog when you go camping or backpacking? I'm trying to make a supply list but I feel like I'm forgetting stuff.
So far I have:
- food and water (is 1 gallon/ day enough? It'll probably be in the mid-80s to low 90s)
- collar, leash (plus spares)
- long line
- first aid kit + a handbook on dog first aid
- musher's wax
- flea comb
- couple of toys

Suggestions?

I think our dog supply list was...

- dog
- ice cream bucket of food
- leash
- thing to screw into the dirt that would hold onto his leash
- tennis balls.

One of the first time's we took him camping with us, my dad just kinda opened the door to the tent to let star out to pee and he ran off into the bush. We lost him for over a week and when my brother found him one morning standing in the middle of the gravel road we had to lure him over with what few of his treats we had left, then ritz cracker's.

Star had rolled himself in bear poo poo so he would smell, and look like a bear we guessed, my parents washed him in the lake because wet dog smelled better then dog with matted and fresh bear poo poo in his fur.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The uni I went to houses LARS, the Large Animal Research Station, up in Fairbanks, AK. They have things like musk oxen. The musk oxen had babies.

:siren: :3: :3: :3: :siren:

Take that, Instant Jellyfish.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my, those are just adorable. :3: Instant Jellyfish, guess we found your critters for next year! :v:

And sorry to hear that, Kittens. What an rear end in a top hat.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Bad Munki posted:

The uni I went to houses LARS, the Large Animal Research Station, up in Fairbanks, AK. They have things like musk oxen. The musk oxen had babies.

I was just telling my husband the other day how adorable and awesome musk oxen are. This just confirmed everything I've ever said and then some :kimchi:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh my god I want to hug it forever.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
It is like a pom and a sheep had a baby

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh god they are too cute! There is no way I can compete with that. If only they had spots and were maybe half as big.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Oh god they are too cute! There is no way I can compete with that. If only they had spots and were maybe half as big.

Qiviut is a great addition to wool blends that need extra insulation! You have no reason NOT to get a pair of musk oxen!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Pile of Kittens posted:

Qiviut is a great addition to wool blends that need extra insulation! You have no reason NOT to get a pair of musk oxen!

:hf: Fighting the good fight.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How much do I actually need to worry about getting a tick head out? We found one on the back of Ooka's neck tonight, and while we can almost always get them out no problem, this one was a little embedded, I think, and it looks like the head ripped off. It's hard to tell if the black speck I'm looking at on his skin is the head, I think all I can really see is what's left of the "neck," with the head underneath the skin. I was trying to pull it out with some tweezers, and I can sometimes get enough purchase on it to feel that yes, it's more than just a black mark I'm pulling at, because if it were just a mark on the surface or something, I would have torn that skin off by now. No, this is actually something in the skin, so I'm pretty sure it's the head.

Aaaaanyhow, do I need to actually pester him more, or should I just let it go? He's been good about it, but if I don't have to abuse the poor guy by picking at his neck all evening, I'd rather not.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

I love how creepy this forum makes me seem.

Me: "Awww, it's Vecna! I love him."
BF: "Who's that?"
Me: "Oh, the dog of a person I've never seen, met or talked to..."

Repeat for Corwin, Trophy, Major, Ozzy, Sophie, blah blah blah

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tasty_Crayon posted:

I love how creepy this forum makes me seem.

Me: "Awww, it's Vecna! I love that dog."
BF: "Who's that?"
Me: "Oh, the dog of a person I've never seen, met or talked to..."

Repeat for Corwin, Trophy, Major, Ozzy, Sophie, blah blah blah

I sniffled when Roo passed, when Husker passed, a few other pets of regulars and my husband thinks I'm nuts ("Hun, they're internet animals, you don't even know them") but it's so sad :cry:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Me: "Oh, the dog of a person I've never seen, met or talked to."

Yeah, that sort of thing is great. :3: Like when someone sees my desktop background and it's a cat or something and they ask who the cat is, and the only answer really is "a cat from off of the Internet". That wonderful picture of Ed busting out of that box being the prime example I think.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, in those cases, I just refer to people as "my internet friend" in general so that I can pretend I have friends.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I sniffled when Roo passed, when Husker passed, a few other pets of regulars and my husband thinks I'm nuts ("Hun, they're internet animals, you don't even know them") but it's so sad :cry:

How did I miss hearing about Roo? :smith:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Everyone else has little running conversations with their pets, right?! Because I like to tell Sadie she has a "hard life" when she is being talkative in the morning, and also because she often flops down with sad faces like this:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
You have the cutest taste in furniture. :3:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kerfuffle posted:

You have the cutest taste in furniture. :3:

It matches her jellybeans :3:

Actually it is my grandfather's family room couch, likely bought in the 50s. A bit sun-bleached from sitting in the same spot for decades, but I love it. Who is going to say something about me having a pink couch? Nobody I want in my house that's who.

I wish I had the whole set but... so it goes with inheritance you know?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I totally teared up when Husker passed and now I eventually want to adopt an ex-racing greyhound :unsmith:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bad Munki posted:

Aaaaanyhow, do I need to actually pester him more, or should I just let it go? He's been good about it, but if I don't have to abuse the poor guy by picking at his neck all evening, I'd rather not.

This happens to me several times during each tick season both to me and the dog. Usually the head just comes out eventually like a splinter, my vet said to just keep an eye on it in case it gets infected.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Everyone else has little running conversations with their pets, right?!

Just this morning I called Amy ten shades of rear end in a top hat for pissing on the floor. Hasn't done it the entire time husband was gone. The night husband gets home? Gotta greet him by pissing all over the floor beside his side of the bed. gently caress you too dog. (She talked back in baroos and whiney noises)

uptown
May 16, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Everyone else has little running conversations with their pets, right?! Because I like to tell Sadie she has a "hard life" when she is being talkative in the morning, and also because she often flops down with sad faces like this:

Oh yeah. I talk to Shanti and the cats nearly constantly. If I'm really lonely, sometimes I teach Shanti how to cook.

Also one day last summer I looked up a bunch of rap karaoke on YouTube and spent hours rapping to my cats. They could blackmail me with that if they wanted.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I had an incident last night with my newly adopted dog. He was in his crate and I stuck my head in to pet him goodnight when he growled at me. I said NO! and pointed at him. He looked down after that so I reached out to comfort him and he freaked out and bit my arm, causing me to bleed. Then he was walking around the house and growling loudly if I came close and I didn't feel very safe with him. I told the rescue organization what happened and they decided to send the foster family over this morning to take him back. Last night I was feeling all "get him out of here" but this morning after things have settled down I'm getting pretty upset that he'll be going. He has some issues but I felt I could help him :(

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

uptown posted:

Oh yeah. I talk to Shanti and the cats nearly constantly. If I'm really lonely, sometimes I teach Shanti how to cook.

I totally narrate whatever I'm cooking like I'm on a cooking show to the dogs. I already have their rapt attention whenever food things are happening so might as well educate them! :pseudo:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

blue squares posted:

I had an incident last night with my newly adopted dog. He was in his crate and I stuck my head in to pet him goodnight when he growled at me. I said NO! and pointed at him. He looked down after that so I reached out to comfort him and he freaked out and bit my arm, causing me to bleed. Then he was walking around the house and growling loudly if I came close and I didn't feel very safe with him. I told the rescue organization what happened and they decided to send the foster family over this morning to take him back. Last night I was feeling all "get him out of here" but this morning after things have settled down I'm getting pretty upset that he'll be going. He has some issues but I felt I could help him :(

You did that to yourself, though you probably don't realize it. Yelling at an animal that's cornered and already upset is a really poor idea because it'll get you bit, man. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451 that thread in general has a lot on training and how dogs think. Sorry you got bit, but like you said. He just kinda freaked out because the big scary thing he doesn't know very well roared at him. But everybody makes mistakes. :shobon: Maybe he's just not the pup for you at the moment?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

blue squares posted:

I know you probably meant well, but he is still a new dog trying to adapt to his new home and build his trust with you. Sticking your head in a crate with any dog isn't a good idea, especially a new one. The growling isn't a bad thing, and is more of a "hey buddy, I am not okay with this could you please back off" and then when you ignored those signs (other sign is what I think sounds like a look away?) he had to resort to biting to get the message through to you.

If you end up getting another dog, please do some reading on dog body language to avoid something like this in the future. He isn't a bad dog, he was just in a sticky situation. Hopefully he doesn't get blamed too harshly for this in the rescue.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
What everyone else said is good. Growling should never be punished, though I can completely understand why most people think it is a "bad" behavior that needs to be punished, so don't feel too awful. They're actually doing you a favor by growling to warn you they're uncomfortable and ask you not to push them or they may bite. If they growl, you back off to teach them you'll respect their space and help them learn they can be comfortable around you. Frankly though he doesn't sound like a good beginner dog so it's probably for the best the fosters are taking him back. :shobon:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah... I've grown up always having dogs but we always got them as puppies so I've never had to deal with a dog that has trust issues. He was very skittish around men(even the man of the foster family he was with for three weeks) so the rescue is going to only place him with a woman after this. I'll try again in a few weeks with a puppy.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

If you can't go under it...

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

blue squares posted:

Yeah... I've grown up always having dogs but we always got them as puppies so I've never had to deal with a dog that has trust issues. He was very skittish around men(even the man of the foster family he was with for three weeks) so the rescue is going to only place him with a woman after this. I'll try again in a few weeks with a puppy.

Let us know when you do, and definitely give that training thread FB linked earlier a look. :) If you'd be interested in a good puppy training book, I'd give this one a try: http://drsophiayin.com/perfectpuppy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

blue squares posted:

Even puppies can have trust issues/skittishness/etc. What kind of dogs did you have when you were younger? Were they a certain breed or were they shelter mutts? If they were a certain breed (or even a certain mix) you may wanna go for something like that since they're more likely to act in a way that you're used to :)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah, I've read that thread several times, but in the situation, I did what growing up my Dad has always done, and it was the wrong choice. I wasn't really thinking.

Also just bought that book. Thanks!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Even puppies can have trust issues/skittishness/etc. What kind of dogs did you have when you were younger? Were they a certain breed or were they shelter mutts? If they were a certain breed (or even a certain mix) you may wanna go for something like that since they're more likely to act in a way that you're used to :)

Nope, all kinds. The best one was probably our brown lab, which is just what this guy was too :(

blue squares fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Cool, good luck! :)

Also, my aunt just posted this status on Facebook:

Skizzles' aunt" posted:

kit cats r awesome cause no harm catch mice, do not chase u low maintence, n the french lv them n allowed 2 run free, i lv all animals cats wor 2 sk better 4 ne cause of a disease i hv, i pray no harm comes 2 all animals they serve a gift from GOD111111111111111

This was her first status, I'm so proud. :allears: A couple years ago she had brain surgery to remove a tumor and is of course on all sorts of meds now. She's constantly 'liking' and commenting on my stuff and I never have any idea what she's saying, but she's always so supportive. Oh Aunt Ruth. :allears:

• Locked thread