Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

What are the Fraction Iron Man Omnibuses (Omnibii) like? I only ever read the first 25 or so issues of his run, I'd like to read the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
I think they're pretty good. The covers don't match between Vol. 1 and 2 though, if that affects anything.

And dear god, how did I not know about the Busiek Omni. That's the series that first got me into comics; it's what I grew up on. Gotta find the :tenbux: for that somewhere...

VVV Edit: Yeah, I meant the spines. They don't match.

X13Fen fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 9, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Uber Kosh posted:

I think they're pretty good. The covers don't match between Vol. 1 and 2 though, if that affects anything.
The covers? What about the spines? :ohdear:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

The covers? What about the spines? :ohdear:

The spines match (though the Marvel logo colours are inverted between the two for some reason). They're really good and since they're technically not omnibii, they're much cheaper. I definitely recommend them. It's just a bummer that there's no vol. 3 in sight, so you can't read the whole run that way.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah the inverted Marvel logo is on my X-Force (the Kyle/Yost Stabby X-Men run) hardcovers too, and the Hickman FF hardcovers too I think (FF Vol. 2 doesn't match F4 Vol. 1, 2, 4, 5 or FF Vol 1)

The first Fraction IM is #1-19, so it should be big enough? It's still cheaper than other Omnibus editions. Hopefully Vol. 3 will come out eventually.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 9, 2013

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

They're really good and since they're technically not omnibii, they're much cheaper. I definitely recommend them.

I second this. A lot of good quality reading material for cheap.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

Omnibuses (Omnibii)
Omnibu.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You know the other Endless Mike is less argumentative. :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Now you're just making poo poo up.

Omnibusuuuuu

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

This thing just came in the mail...

Paid :10bux: and some change. Amazon had a quick sale/mistake? I would have posted it here but the deal was dead within minutes of me ordering it. Kinda surprised it went through. I have seen Amazon fail to honor prices they have posted by mistake. I loved the book as a youngster but never intended to read the adaptation. Worth checking out or should I just flip it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So what exactly is the best version of Sandman (still in print)? I've never read it, but there are so many variants that are all stupidly expensive, so I want to make sure I pick the right one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Either the Absolutes or the new printings of the tpbs (if you want the newest coloring but without paying $300+).

FYI, the main series is collected in the first four Absolutes. The fifth is additional material and the Death Absolute contains the two Death series that Gaiman wrote.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

sporklift posted:

I loved the book as a youngster but never intended to read the adaptation. Worth checking out or should I just flip it?

I haven't read The Stand in 15 years since middle school, but that adaptation felt pretty faithful. It didn't really add anything to the story or the experience, but it's far from unreadable.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Hakkesshu posted:

So what exactly is the best version of Sandman (still in print)? I've never read it, but there are so many variants that are all stupidly expensive, so I want to make sure I pick the right one.

I dig the Absolutes. They look cool on the shelves and I like the size of them. You can find them for $55 each at Instocktrades (over $50 and free shipping). That ain't too bad for 20 comics. I bought them slowly over the course of a couple years so it didn't feel that painful in the ol' wallet.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 10, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sporklift posted:

I dig the Absolutes. They look cool on the shelves and I like the size of them. You can find them for $55 at IST (over $50 and free shipping). That ain't too bad for 20 comics. I bought them slowly over the course of a couple years so it didn't feel that painful in the ol' wallet.

I don't know what IST is, but I'm in Europe and it doesn't look like I can avoid paying at least $100 per volume of the absolutes, which might not be feasible. So I'm looking at the big slipcase set, though it says it's re-coloured. Is that any good?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

IST is instocktades.com Not sure if they ship overseas. I think the slipcase uses the same coloring as the Absolutes. Some people hate it but I thought it was fine.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Speaking of Sandman trades, I have a mismatched set of the ten volumes, almost all from different print runs. Does anyone else have random Sandman volumes who might like to trade them, to help each other get closer to matching sets?

Here are mine. As you can see, Volumes 1-4 all match (but they are former library copies, complete with library pockets for cards glued to the inside back covers), and 8-9 match from a different print run.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 10, 2013

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Speaking of Sandman trades, I have a mismatched set of the ten volumes, almost all from different print runs. Does anyone else have random Sandman volumes who might like to trade them, to help each other get closer to matching sets?

I will post a picture of my books in a little while.
I might be if you have some of the original hardcovers with the sweet hardback texturing/marbling. I've got 4, 5, 8 & 10, and always have an eye out for the others.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I will post a picture of my books in a little while.
If you can wait a few weeks, I think I have volumes 1 and 2 and maybe 3.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Here are mine. As you can see, Volumes 1-4 all match (but they are former library copies, complete with library pockets for cards glued to the inside back covers), and 8-9 match from a different print run.

Added the pics.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Hakkesshu posted:

They're collecting the entire run in 2 omnibos, first one of which is out later in the year. New colouring, bigger than the trades.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I just saw that DC is putting out a new hardcover of the first Astro City trade. Has there been any news on if they're going to do the rest of the collections, or is this just to promote the new ongoing series?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It's DC: they'll decide based on the sales. There's a chance they'll do what they did with JLI (four volumes as HCs and TPBs, two volumes as only TPBs, and then stopping before they finish). Yes, I'm still bitter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uthor posted:

It's DC: they'll decide based on the sales. There's a chance they'll do what they did with JLI (four volumes as HCs and TPBs, two volumes as only TPBs, and then stopping before they finish). Yes, I'm still bitter.

At least you got 6 volumes. They stopped Shade at 3

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

At least you got 6 volumes. They stopped Shade at 3

Even then, I think we got lucky that they stopped at the end of an arc. Still, I wanted more.

That said, at least they're continuing with Hellblazer the original series. Dangerous Habits was awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Even then, I think we got lucky that they stopped at the end of an arc. Still, I wanted more.

That said, at least they're continuing with Hellblazer the original series. Dangerous Habits was awesome.

Due to that taste I went out and got the rest of the series in singles, just like what I did with Hellblazer. I am pretty sure they will get to Jenkin run in 2015 or 16

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
Whoa, I missed the announcement on this one. Planetary Omni? Badass.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Haven't seen anyone post this yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Frank-Miller-Janson-Omnibus/dp/0785185682/ref=pd_sim_b_76

A reprint of Miller's Daredevil Omni - Nov 19 2013

Gives me hope for a reprint of the first Bendis Omni and Ennis' Punisher Omni (as well as some kind of big HC collection of the MAX series).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

drat, so many good books coming this year. Ugh.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Do hardcover editions that go out of print ever come back IN print? How rarely? How common is it for OOP HCs to INCREASE in value?

I want the hardcover Runaways 1-18, but used copies are more expensive than the thing was when new. Is that only because the series has increased in acclaim over the years, or is it common? Should I always buy HCs when they're available and I think I might want 'em rather than waiting and chancing a sellout? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/234352.Runaways_Deluxe_Vol_1

VV - thanks! New to this whole actually buying comics thing.

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 11, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

onefish posted:

Do hardcover editions that go out of print ever come back IN print? How rarely? How common is it for OOP HCs to INCREASE in value?

I want the hardcover Runaways 1-18, but used copies are more expensive than the thing was when new. Is that only because the series has increased in acclaim over the years, or is it common? Should I always buy HCs when they're available and I think I might want 'em rather than waiting and chancing a sellout? http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/234352.Runaways_Deluxe_Vol_1

When things go OOP they increase in price 90% of the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding the Fantagraphics Carl Barks Library, I was just on Amazon and I notice that the price of the Lost In the Andes book has risen quite steeply. Has it gone out of print already?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

onefish posted:

VV - thanks! New to this whole actually buying comics thing.

The Runaways omnibus was canceled when the production of the film stalled, supposedly it's back on but I wouldn't hold my breath until the film is actually in theaters.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Anyone have any reason for me to hope that the Morales Ultimate Spider-Man will be collected in OSHCs? The Vol 3 TPB and Spider-Men comes out in 2 weeks, and I haven't seen any announcements.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

Anyone have any reason for me to hope that the Morales Ultimate Spider-Man will be collected in OSHCs? The Vol 3 TPB and Spider-Men comes out in 2 weeks, and I haven't seen any announcements.

They just finished Peter's run so it might be coming soon.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Metal Loaf posted:

Regarding the Fantagraphics Carl Barks Library, I was just on Amazon and I notice that the price of the Lost In the Andes book has risen quite steeply. Has it gone out of print already?

It seems to be unavailable at the usual places. Kicking myself for not picking it up for $15. Fear Agent HC came back so...

Edit:

Fantagraphics website shows a second print in July (subject to change).

sporklift fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 12, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Vol. 2 (Fraction) is on sale for $14 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Ir...ncible+iron+man

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

sporklift posted:

Invincible Iron Man Omnibus, Vol. 2 (Fraction) is on sale for $14 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Ir...ncible+iron+man

IT'S NOT AN OMNIBUS!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Glenn Danzig posted:

IT'S NOT AN OMNIBUS!

OSHC then, and still a good price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's an incredible price, I had 5 copies on the marketplace and the day IM3 hit I sold all three of them for $18 a pop. Now I have buyers asking me about returns and/or price matching. Cheap assholes.