Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Cowboy Bebop is pretty much the anti-anime in that people who hate anime tend to still love it. Phenomenal show. Just re-watched it recently.

Which is precisely why Faye's design is one of the show's biggest flaws. There's "femme fatale" and then there's "half-naked zero-g boobs anime lady".

But yes, Cowboy Bebop is worth it just for the soundtrack. And the intro. And the fact that is has a corgi as one of the main characters :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zDfxZ4NcE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Cowboy Bebop is pretty much the anti-anime in that people who hate anime tend to still love it. Phenomenal show. Just re-watched it recently.

That's me.

Such great music too.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Which is precisely why Faye's design is one of the show's biggest flaws.

It would have been nice for them to dress her as classy as Julia (though her latex number was a bit too much) but I think they were trying to present a punk rock esthetic to her and as we all know, Japan sexualizes women like crazy. I always thought her outfit looked like April O'Neil just got attacked by Shredder and she had to somehow put it back together.

It's kind of funny that it's the show's biggest flaw. The show had hardly any flaws for me and if that's the one, it's doing a pretty great job for itself.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Vegetable posted:

What's supposed to be drawing my attention in this painting? The undecipherable confrontation within the house or the chilling guy on the roof? It's a neat poster but I had no idea where to look.

Well Peter Pan on the roof, Tinkerbell in the lantern, the kids in the window, the moon being a hook. There's a lot going on.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

penismightier posted:

The Les Mis and Beasts ones aren't bad. I mean look at those loving Avenger posters, remind yourself those are about average, and then look at Beasts again.

I agree that that the Les Mis one is actually pretty good, far better than that movie deserves, even. But that Beasts one looks horrible. Why are the beast's tusks coming from behind its tongue? Not to mention that it makes it look like the movie is all about the beast when it obviously isn't. It's still better than the other ones I posted, but I wouldn't call it good.

But, to make up for those two controversial inclusions, I present a :siren: Drive Fan Poster Megapost :siren:

1. 2.
3. 4.
5. 6.
7. 8.
9. 10.
11. 12.
13. 14.

And a challenge: Which of these is the worst? And which is 'best'?

bowser fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 11, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Haha, gently caress. Just the thumbnail of Gosling's :wtc: face made me laugh, then I full-sized it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Somehow the one with the stupid air freshener pisses me off the most, even though it's one of the more competently composed. They're just making up their own iconography, that has poo poo to do with the film. What is he, a cabbie?

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
Number 4 at least ties the tag line to the image in a mildly clever way.

The tag line for 10 wins the "completely missing the point" award.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This challenge is fixed. Because all of those are pretty bad. I mean four is okay, but the rest aren't. Apparently the scorpion was an important plot point I wasn't aware of.

Wow. gently caress 13.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
MAGENTA.

CYAN.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
You know what I love more than anything else? Bad quotes and stretched type.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I kinda like 14. Kinda.

Also haha 11 is literally Gosling Theft Auto: Vice City

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jefferoo posted:

You know what I love more than anything else? Bad quotes and stretched type.

The first post-legibility posters

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The placement of the period in that Iron Man poster :psyduck:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh sweet jesus no:

ALSO,

Gonz posted:

MAGENTA.

CYAN.

Is that the new thing? Calling posters out on having a coherent color scheme?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

penismightier posted:

Well it's definitely not new.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Iron Man is having a plan attack

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

M.Ciaster posted:

I kinda like 14. Kinda.

Also haha 11 is literally Gosling Theft Auto: Vice City

The thing about 14 is it's not offensive to look at and you can't really see enough of anything to really get mad at it. Out of all those it's the best. Or really, the least awful.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

bowser posted:

This one is bad. But I kinda like it, a bit artsy.

Gonz posted:

MAGENTA.

CYAN.

Let's not go back to teal and orange arguments*,but now with cyan and magenta. The other fan posters had a horrible execution, melting faces and so on, on top of that the colors weren't used properly so they were a sore to my eyes. Like as if someone barfed magenta and cyan over paper.

Is this one a fan made? Or the real deal? It's a painting,right? It looks pretty even if it's a big blue Ryan Gosling.

*(which I confess I was guilty of doing a lot,but not anymore)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

bowser posted:

Spring Breakers did number 2 better. Number 4 is a big old pile of what the gently caress. Number 6 is nice. Makes me think of Dirty Harry for some reason. Number 8 can go gently caress off. 10 is ok. 14 is nice but boring.

13 can go jump down an empty elevator shaft.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Here I made that one Drive poster better

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

This is the loving worst.

I actually quite like this one. Yes, floating heads, stuff-in-a-familiar-shape, but it's visually appealing to me.

Now this, this doesn't work as a poster. But it would be a really nice desktop background. I like blurry texturized backgrounds.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Macaluso posted:

Here I made that one Drive poster better

Sure. I'm fine with that.

Yeti Yeti Yeti
Mar 27, 2010

penismightier posted:

I think it's fair to say that these Drive fan posters tend to use the colour scheme poorly (by covering EVERYTHING in magenta).

bowser posted:

4 and 14 here are probably the least offensive Drive fan posters I have seen. I actually like 14. 4 looks nice, but doesn't really convey the tone of the film; I would have assumed it was for a light hearted romantic drama or something.
11 is so hilariously awful that I kinda like it.

vv Ah, I see. Yeah, the colour scheme is fine there.

Yeti Yeti Yeti fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 11, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

I think it's fair to say that these Drive fan posters tend to use the colour scheme poorly (by covering EVERYTHING in magenta).

Not talking about the Drive posters, that post got kinda jumbled. I was talking about Gonz's comment on that Only God Forgives poster.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Besides, the cyan/magenta complaint everyone was complaining about a few pages back has to do with the fact it tends to be overused to convey the 80's-- Only God Forgives has gently caress-all to do with the 80's.

That, and cyan/magenta colour scheme is physically in the movie.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

What the gently caress is this movie and holy poo poo those credits.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One of the biggest box office bombs of all time, by cost/ticket sale ratio.

Its other claim to fame was nerds joking that Avatar (the James Cameron movie) ripped off its general premise

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 11, 2013

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Yodzilla posted:

What the gently caress is this movie and holy poo poo those credits.

This is the closest I have come to watching that thing.

I think that's reason enough to stay the hell away from it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Hahahahaha, someone took one of the worst lines I've heard in a good long while and thought it would be perfect to build a poster around.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Aphrodite posted:

It's because of the position of her arms.

I know, but it still looks all hosed up and someone had to make that image and then choose it for a video cover.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Hahahahaha, someone took one of the worst lines I've heard in a good long while and thought it would be perfect to build a poster around.

I don't know. I don't think it has poo poo on the Hawkeye one. It doesn't make him sound like a badass it just makes him sound like he needs glasses. Actually in that regard it makes it sound like the Black Widow is just a really angry accountant.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 11, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah... As a big Whedon fan he writes some really kooky dialogue that can be funny if you're disposed to it, but try and use it out of context and you look like a goon.... and these posters use some of the lesser dialogue and one-liners...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I just remembered that Criterion actually did one of those "minimalist" things for a video cover:

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

CPL593H posted:

I just remembered that Criterion actually did one of those "minimalist" things for a video cover:

The Being John Malkovich cover is their worst. The blurb on the back is somehow worse though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Which is precisely why Faye's design is one of the show's biggest flaws. There's "femme fatale" and then there's "half-naked zero-g boobs anime lady".

But yes, Cowboy Bebop is worth it just for the soundtrack.

Hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81m8_5mccgA

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just want a good Drive poster I can hang up :(

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

I see a red cost and I want to paint it black.

An accountancy aware poster. And something about stones, I dunno.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

bowser posted:

I agree that that the Les Mis one is actually pretty good, far better than that movie deserves, even. But that Beasts one looks horrible. Why are the beast's tusks coming from behind its tongue? Not to mention that it makes it look like the movie is all about the beast when it obviously isn't. It's still better than the other ones I posted, but I wouldn't call it good.

But, to make up for those two controversial inclusions, I present a :siren: Drive Fan Poster Megapost :siren:

1. 2.
3. 4.
5. 6.
7. 8.
9. 10.
11. 12.
13. 14.

More. More. Feed the machine! :unsmigghh:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I actually really dig #5 from this new batch. #8 is also pretty cool, but I think it's got too much happening on it. I'm still trying to figure out #9 myself...

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pretty impressive to outpace a car like that, I guess the Driver took up speedwalking to make his getaways.