Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

You forgot the best part - there actually is a break room area just inside, that you normally have to hack into with a door lock minigame. If you go this path, though, it's unlocked for you.

This loving game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Man, I stumbled on this thread by accident and now I just had to dig up good ol' AP and give it another go.

My relationship with this game is kind of the same I had with KotoR 2, I finished both of them and I just had the niggling feeling that I was just not getting it. I felt like the game was great, but that I was missing something somewhere somehow.

For KotoR 2, Scorchy's LP took care of it, one of the first I read and in my eyes the greatest SSLP. For AP... My god is there a myriad of things that can happen. I'll have to read this thread rather closely I think.

(Also : I already plan to do a 2nd run with an rear end in a top hat Thornton possibly using only martial arts. What skills should I take with that ? Toughness and stealth ?)

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I would suggest taking toughness or stealth, since being good with one invalidates the need for the other. I'd also suggest taking at least a passing interest in one of the guns skills, since there will be times where it's just a pain in the rear end not to have one (most boss fights).

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Since the boss fights aren't really anything amazing, I'd take either toughness or stealth, and max out the "skip boss battles" skill. (i.e. pistols).

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Thanks for the answers, I am currently using the bread and butter recruit pistol and stealth run just to get a feel for the game again. I have to say that the pistol is indeed incredibly overpowered. And not just because of the chainshot, just the improved critical shot levels are incredible, not only does it get good range and quick targeting, you can use it while hid behind cover, you don't even have to pop out anymore.

I just noticed the reflections on these glasses which have nothing at all to do with the surrounding environment. In Russia it shows some kind of lake surrounded by mountains, some covered with snow, some not...

My computer ate the screenshots somehow but if I remember it correctly, in Taipei it was another landscape that was more desert like, I look forward to seeing those in Rome.

What a strange thing to put onto these glasses.

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 12, 2013

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Fathis Munk posted:

Thanks for the answers, I am currently using the bread and butter recruit pistol and stealth run just to get a feel for the game again. I have to say that the pistol is indeed incredibly overpowered. And not just because of the chainshot, just the improved critical shot levels are incredible, not only does it get good range and quick targeting, you can use it while hid behind cover, you don't even have to pop out anymore.

I just noticed the reflections on these glasses which have nothing at all to do with the surrounding environment. In Russia it shows some kind of lake surrounded by mountains, some covered with snow, some not...

My computer ate the screenshots somehow but if I remember it correctly, in Taipei it was another landscape that was more desert like, I look forward to seeing those in Rome.

What a strange thing to put onto these glasses.

It's not actually a reflection, it's the design on the sunglasses. Thorton just really likes landscapes.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

MrXmas posted:

It's not actually a reflection, it's the design on the sunglasses. Thorton just really likes landscapes.

I'd buy glasses with landscapes painted on them. That's a market that someone should tap.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

MrXmas posted:

He just wears them and escapes to his favorite dream world. But they have to be some high-tech spy glasses since the painted landscapes actually shift around depending on the angle at which you see the them !

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Obviously Thorton is constantly wearing VR goggles, and when he's punching people in the face and setting people on fire he actually thinks he's on a ski trip to a wonderful Russian mountain hotel. Sometimes he wonders why all these random strangers keep calling him and bossing him around when he's trying to enjoy his virtual vacation.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Fathis Munk posted:

(Also : I already plan to do a 2nd run with an rear end in a top hat Thornton possibly using only martial arts. What skills should I take with that ? Toughness and stealth ?)

With martial arts I was partial to toughness and sabotage, so I could toss flashbangs left and right and then stab everyone to death.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
NOTE: comments on in-progress first-time play. Might be spoiler-ish, but nothing too direct as I've not finished the game.

So, I'm playing my first time through AP having avoided any real spoilers. Figured I'd post for the amusement of the AP veterans and it'll be pretty interesting to look back after I finished the game once or twice. So far I've completed Taipei and Moscow and am just about to start in on Rome. My thoughts:

-It feels like the combat is intentionally awkward and terrible to force you to cheese it somehow, by stealth or gadgets or whatever. I am playing as a stealthy pistol hacker dude, and even though I'm all for teeth-gnashingly challenging gaming I don't feel too cheesy when I one shot everyone with Quick Shot and criticals from stealth. I think if I'd built as a pure soldier with an assault rifle or shotgun and tried to play this as a shooter it would have been frustratingly difficult and clumsy. This game is really about the character interactions and dialogue, the stealth and combat are only okay. I don't feel wrong picking the lowest effort way (it seems) to get through combat.

-I haven't stuck to one personality, really, just taken the stance most suited to appeal to each character. Suave seems to work well with chicks one-one-one. It's pretty hilarious flirting with Mina or Scarlet in a 3 or 4-way conference call, both of them get indignant and pissed off. Everyone seems to get along pretty well with Professional stance except for Stephen Heck who you just kind of play along with his crazy awesomeness.

-I'm pretty sure Mina is going to betray me just based on the fact she's the only person who's been 100% my ally from the start. I bet she's going to totally gently caress me over when I least expect it, right?

-I have no idea what G-22's motives are but they seemed pretty chill and I've been working with Albatross. I met SIE in Moscow very randomly and we had the following conversation:

SIE: Hello, I have a German accent. We are both here for the same thing, better get out of my way!
Mike: Wanna bang?
SIE: Hmph. Maybe later.

And I haven't seen or heard from SIE since other than a dossier and mention here and there.

This game owns so far. It has such great character in the level design and pacing and great actual characters to boot. It feels like the Planescape: Torment of action RPGs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pellisworth posted:

I met SIE in Moscow very randomly and we had the following conversation:

SIE: Hello, I have a German accent. We are both here for the same thing, better get out of my way!
Mike: Wanna bang?
SIE: Hmph. Maybe later.

And I haven't seen or heard from SIE since other than a dossier and mention here and there.

quote:

-I have no idea what G-22's motives are but they seemed pretty chill and I've been working with Albatross.
This is why :eng101:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pellisworth posted:

-I'm pretty sure Mina is going to betray me just based on the fact she's the only person who's been 100% my ally from the start. I bet she's going to totally gently caress me over when I least expect it, right?

Going to betray you? Heh.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Select a handler for the final mission:

Steven Heck

-Select-

:getin:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unless I missed something, I'm pretty sure Steven Heck is your only real friend. He's too crazy to be conspiring against you.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pellisworth posted:

Select a handler for the final mission:

Steven Heck

-Select-

:getin:
I still need to do a kill everyone playthrough and betray Leland just so Leland's reaction to Thorton saying Heck's backing him is even funnier.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Pellisworth posted:

-It feels like the combat is intentionally awkward and terrible to force you to cheese it somehow, by stealth or gadgets or whatever. I am playing as a stealthy pistol hacker dude, and even though I'm all for teeth-gnashingly challenging gaming I don't feel too cheesy when I one shot everyone with Quick Shot and criticals from stealth. I think if I'd built as a pure soldier with an assault rifle or shotgun and tried to play this as a shooter it would have been frustratingly difficult and clumsy. This game is really about the character interactions and dialogue, the stealth and combat are only okay. I don't feel wrong picking the lowest effort way (it seems) to get through combat.

All the guns just suck unless you put points into them. Assault rifle is the only remotely usable one for very long range encounters, but it takes forever to line up a shot. A combat + endurance build is more than viable and especially fun if you're roleplaying Murder Mike.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Pellisworth posted:

I think if I'd built as a pure soldier with an assault rifle or shotgun and tried to play this as a shooter it would have been frustratingly difficult and clumsy.
I'm currently part way through an Assault rifle run and I can assure you, it's not frustratingly difficult or clumsy, but only once you've worked out the rhythm with playing with assault rifles. To be fair I don't bother with Focused Aim, but the trick is to always use cover and take the time to steady your cross hairs, and you'll be taking out multiple heavily armoured bad guys with single bursts to the head. My only gripe with assault rifles is that when you put a scope on one, the model has both the scope and a holosight which just looks weird.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 26, 2013

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Edit: I'll have to try assault rifles on my second run, then.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unless I missed something, I'm pretty sure Steven Heck is your only real friend. He's too crazy to be conspiring against you.

Goddamn I love Heck, that character is so well written. I want to transcribe our email conversations about the Illuminati New World Order and that time he banged two chicks at once.

I seriously lost it when at the end of the Taipei missions we were such good bros he gave up Wen as Sung's (attempted because I foiled it) assassin instead of me and then I watched that poo poo on the news, oh my lord :v:

I'm sure this is all old news to most of the thread readers, it's just amazing how well-written and interactive the characters are.

Fake edit: Woodchippers comma Mangle With

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Heck Conspiracy theory regarding how everything in Taiwan plays out is a little too convincing for me to believe this.

Fathis Munk posted:

Any three of toughness, sabotage, or tech aptitude. I did exactly this run and it was a lot of fun. Remember to pack epinephrine, it makes the bosses far more manageable to melee.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I really enjoyed assault rifles when I got around to them on my third or fourth playthrough, particularly with subsonic ammo. Unlike the shotgun and SMGs the rifle felt useful in every encounter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Assault rifles also make the fight with the helicopter in the Gray Box laughably easy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

ZombyDog posted:

My only gripe with assault rifles is that when you put a scope on one, the model has both the scope and a holosight which just looks weird.

This has always bugged me more that it probably should. I think most scopes look pretty stupid in this game but the first time I saw that they just put both on a gun I was really disappointed. I mean it wouldn't have been hard to just put the scope model on right ?

Also I just love the ending when you join Halbech so friggin much. I had completely forgotten about that one.

Sadly I accidentally skipped the credits and did not get the post game info about how everything turned out.

The thing I love the most in this game are the perks though. Even though they tend to be minor bonuses, you just get them for everything and nothing and that just makes it feel so much more like your own experience.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Been really enjoying my first replay of AP since it came out, but I am stuck on Brayko. Is there a file somewhere where I can just give myself infinite health or something? I didn't go pistols this time so no chain shot. The hardmode health effect change won't work since I'm on medium and it doesn't let you change difficulty apparently. What a dumb game sometimes.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

blue squares posted:

Been really enjoying my first replay of AP since it came out, but I am stuck on Brayko. Is there a file somewhere where I can just give myself infinite health or something? I didn't go pistols this time so no chain shot. The hardmode health effect change won't work since I'm on medium and it doesn't let you change difficulty apparently. What a dumb game sometimes.

What skills do you have? If you just sprint up the opposite side of the stage during the knife attack, he can't catch you and there's a healthpack on top of the speakers. Then you just jump down the front.

Dec 26, 2012

blue squares posted:

Have you gone to Taiwan yet? You might want to stop by, there's someone there you should meet (and buy intel from for that mission). Otherwise, the fight is fairly rhythmic. Either he's up top, on the floor shooting, running at you, or staggering after running. Easiest way is to load him up with things that do damage over time (phosphorous shells, hollow points) when he's staggering - on my recruit run where I flubbed my points badly, I used an untrained shotgun with phosphorous rounds and that did the trick.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
If you have the stealth perk that let's you go invisible, just pop it as soon as he enters knife mode and go hide somewhere until he's back to his much more manageable self.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I have the 360 version and for some reason, I can't select Veteran mode. I've beaten the game once, and when I start New Game, the Veteran option is grayed out. Do I need to watch the end credits or something? Is Veteran always available or only after you beat the game?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I have the 360 version and for some reason, I can't select Veteran mode. I've beaten the game once, and when I start New Game, the Veteran option is grayed out. Do I need to watch the end credits or something? Is Veteran always available or only after you beat the game?

You only unlock it by beating the game as a Recruit, sadly.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So after all the goon reports of "this game really opens up after Saudi Arabia", I finally sat down and gave this game a serious chance. :stare:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

I never thought playing a snarky, stealthy, lumberjack bearded douchebag could ever be so fun. Every modern game should have a "lumberjack beard" customisation option.

My only regret is I can't be a ginger lumberjack bearded douchebag. :haw:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Fathis Munk posted:

This has always bugged me more that it probably should. I think most scopes look pretty stupid in this game but the first time I saw that they just put both on a gun I was really disappointed. I mean it wouldn't have been hard to just put the scope model on right ?

But... like the crouch walk animation, this is another case of an actual thing. Holographic/Reflex in front of magnifier is very common on assault rifles; heck, just google 3x Magnifier

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think the fully-modded guns look hilarious, like someone's just jammed as much poo poo on them as possible to make them shoot better. It reminds me of Pew Pew, the laser pistol from New Vegas that someone clearly just taped a couple of extra batteries to and it does 5x damage. I don't know if the AP gun mods are realistic, but the thought of carrying some of those monstrosities into battle (I think one time I had a shotgun with a sniper scope?) makes me giggle.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Unreal_One posted:

But... like the crouch walk animation, this is another case of an actual thing. Holographic/Reflex in front of magnifier is very common on assault rifles; heck, just google 3x Magnifier

Whelp you never stop learning.

I still maintain that in-game they look wonky as hell :colbert:

That might also be due to the strange color of the whole thing.

Ultimarevan
Jun 3, 2013
I loved AP!

Its one of those little sega style gems, like vanquish and headhunter. dirt cheap and mediocre reviews! But provided a good days entertainment. Iv still got it to do another runt hrough just for fun one day

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ultimarevan posted:

I loved AP!

Its one of those little sega style gems, like vanquish and headhunter. dirt cheap and mediocre reviews! But provided a good days entertainment. Iv still got it to do another runt hrough just for fun one day

Don't forget Binary Domain; that's a fun game especially if you like boss fights (Tsar Runner :staredog:) and some funny dialogue ("That "spider" is used to defend military bases. Looks like they took it off coastal defense just for you :smug:)

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

Whelp you never stop learning.

I still maintain that in-game they look wonky as hell :colbert:

That might also be due to the strange color of the whole thing.

To be honest the weapons models are hardly the high point of the game's graphical design. The Kalashnikov line of guns especially reek of lazy asset reuse (and before some drops a knowledge-bomb from world.guns.ru I'm well aware of the Saiga etc. as I've played the same FPS's you have) and I thought the equipable sights always looked a bit off in terms of scale. Compared to most modern shooters Alpha Protocol doesn't really have the same visual pornographic glee in its gun-pimping, but I don't think it's really any worse for it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

For some reason I can't make my copy of the game run on Windows 8. It just crashes on start-up.
I've patched it to 1.1 and I made sure all redistributables are installed but it didn't help.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Is there a change in dialog from Deng in the subway station if you start the "Intercept Assassination Plans" mission in casual clothing?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Is there a change in dialog from Deng in the subway station if you start the "Intercept Assassination Plans" mission in casual clothing?

He compliments you on blending in with the civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Yes. He compliments you for being less conspicuous, but then comments that it's not much help when your enemy knows you're coming, or something to that effect.

• Locked thread