Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I was rocking out to Lose Yourself to Dance at the bus stop and got some weird looks. They don't know what they're missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Motherboard is Get Lucky, but different. Just listen to it.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Grawl posted:

Motherboard is Get Lucky, but different. Just listen to it.
I thought the same thing. I knew I recognized those undertones from somewhere but couldn't decide if it was something from the Collaborator vids or if it was actually part of Get Lucky or what. I was all sorts of confused.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Giorgio is everything I wanted it to be.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

CannedMacabre posted:

Giorgio is everything I wanted it to be.
Seriously. It just gets progressively more amazing and by the 8 minute mark I'm just giggling uncontrollably in a pile on the floor.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I am loving today because, as expected, all of the people first to scream OMG ALBUM OF A GENERATION and posting every loving fake leak all day every day are going to be the first to crap on the album. It's just an album. No collection of music tracks will ever live up to the level of worship you gave it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I was expecting the album to be lackluster based on the Pharrell track that came out earlier and after 1 listen it certainly lives up to that mark... Giorgio is the only song I really liked or felt was interesting at all. Honestly a lot of the songs really melt together because of the repetitive and uninspired funk guitar loops. I'll reserve further judgements for after I get a chance to digest it (but it doesn't seem like there is much to it).

edit: I think the most positive thing I can say about it is, like most mid-tempo music, it would make good background music for cleaning/studying/programming/other tasks along those lines...

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 13, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I think a lot of people who don't like this album didn't read much about it beforehand.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

thathonkey posted:

I was expecting the album to be lackluster based on the Pharell track that came out earlier and after 1 listen it certainly lives up to that mark... Giorgio is the only song I really liked or felt was interesting at all. Honestly a lot of the songs really melt together because of the repetitive and uninspired funk guitar loops. I'll reserve further judgements for after I get a chance to digest it (but it doesn't seem like there is much to it).

Yeah, I was nervous when they announced their collaborators' list, and as much as I wanted to keep up hope that it would be good, this is a pretty dull album. Guess it's time to listen to Alive 1997 again.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I think a lot of people who don't like this album didn't read much about it beforehand.

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Popcorn posted:

e: there's a lot of Glados autotune on this album. Not Daft Punk robot voices, but Glados robot voices.

I didn't get to listen to any of the last 4-5 tracks yet, but a couple of them (I think The Game of Love was the first that stood out) are completely ruined by this very thing.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Could you elaborate? Were there a lot of interviews along the lines of "hey, we are trying to make our most unsubstantial album to date. We hope you'll think so too." ?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
I love when people get personally offended that other people don't share their particular tastes.

I'll make it easy on you. You'll either really love it. You'll like it. You kinda won't like it. Or you'll hate it.

What someone else thinks of it is completely inconsequential here. Trying to defend your particular viewpoint by shoehorning those that oppose your views into a particular mindset or group is kind of stupid.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Spacebump posted:

I think a lot of people who love this album decided they would love it before they heard a single clip.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Rocco posted:

I am loving today because, as expected, all of the people first to scream OMG ALBUM OF A GENERATION and posting every loving fake leak all day every day are going to be the first to crap on the album. It's just an album. No collection of music tracks will ever live up to the level of worship you gave it.
Sorry, who was this that you're referring to? I know a lot of people were posting leaks in this thread (most of which were real I think? though that didn't stop people from talking about "obviously fake" Pharrell vocals? :xd:), and I think most of them are pretty positive about the album.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I think... This very well could be what starts World War 3.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Better than the album as a whole is this picture of giorgio wearing dre beats

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Wario In Real Life posted:

I love when people get personally offended that other people don't share their particular tastes.

I'll make it easy on you. You'll either really love it. You'll like it. You kinda won't like it. Or you'll hate it.

What someone else thinks of it is completely inconsequential here. Trying to defend your particular viewpoint by shoehorning those that oppose your views into a particular mindset or group is kind of stupid.

It's this plus people trying to argue from a place of objectivity. It's never "I liked/disliked it because..." and it's always "this is great/terrible because..." And sometimes even the 'because' is left out entirely.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

het posted:

Sorry, who was this that you're referring to? I know a lot of people were posting leaks in this thread (most of which were real I think? though that didn't stop people from talking about "obviously fake" Pharrell vocals? :xd:), and I think most of them are pretty positive about the album.

I wasn't even referring to anyone on the forum necessarily, moreso people across social media and other stuff.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
How does everyone think the general public will react to this? Will it sell well?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Caseman posted:

Also how anyone can listen to Giorgio by Moroder and hate on the drummer is beyond me.

The first half of that track is unlistenable. The second half is Kraftwerk with an old man rambling over Travis Barker on the drums.

This album is pretty chill and I like it. Definitely some awesome tracks that average out the garbage. Really love Contact.

Slate Action posted:

How does everyone think the general public will react to this? Will it sell well?

Of course it will sell. Every radio station in the states seems to have Get Lucky in the rotation. The funniest part is everyone buying this album because of Get Lucky will be disappointed and never listen to Daft Punk again.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Slate Action posted:

No one under the age of like 25 knows who or what Daft Punk is so no probably not

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hahah get out of here. The album will do alright.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

gucci void main posted:

No one under the age of like 25 knows who or what Daft Punk is so no probably not
Discovery came out 12 years ago. Most actual DP fans are into their 30s.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gucci void main posted:

Well that's just not true. Look at the chart position Get Lucky had.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...
This album is perfect! So fresh! I feel like this is an album anyone from my grandma to my little brother could really enjoy. The production is fantastic! Cannot wait for the vinyl.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I think possibly everyone should stop attempting to categorise everyone else's perspectives based on mysterious speculations about whether or not they were expecting the album to be good or not good or have only liked Daft Punk since Alive 2007 came out or if they have Earth Wind and Fire's Greatest Hits in their car.

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's this plus people trying to argue from a place of objectivity. It's never "I liked/disliked it because..." and it's always "this is great/terrible because..." And sometimes even the 'because' is left out entirely.

Why do people get so upset when opinions are expressed without the "remember! this is my opinion!" disclaimer attached beforehand in bold? No one is pretending to be "objective" about anything. Yes, if I say an album sucks, I'm speaking only for myself: whose other opinion could I possibly be talking about?

On my wedding day, when I tell everyone at wedding that my fiancee is the most beautiful girl in the world, are you going to jump up from behind a pew and scream "maybe in your opinion!!"?

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
Listening to this, a lot of it reminds me of the slower Does This Offend You, Yeah? tracks. Especially Instant Crush.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

At first I didn't care for the album because I wanted it to be more tron like but I really like the direct they chose to go with. Fantastic album, can't wait for a flac copy.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

t:mad:

27, thank you very much.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Touch is awesome. Every time.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Action Serious posted:

Touch is awesome. Every time.
I skipped it on my 2nd playthrough. :ohdear:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I got a chance to listen to this, I haven't really been following any of the hype other than "there's a new DP album coming sometime soon" and I've got to say I doubt I'll buy it or even take advantage of the free stream again. I like Daft Punk, I like the disco-inspired french house that we've seen in the past. To me this feels like Disco with a vocoder. If I'd found this in a record store I'd expect it to be on dusty underused vinyl with a 99¢ sticker on it. Seriously, I can respect an artist for broadening out, but that doesn't mean they're successful (though maybe they are for people who like disco?).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

More like late 20s but yeah. I agree that it probably wont sell that well. I mean their main feature is Pharrell...

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
And if Pharrell is known for anything, it's being on albums that don't sell well!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I think this will probably sell really really well. I'm not sure how successful Daft Punk will be after it though. I think a lot of people will buy it because it's Daft Punk then not listen to it because it's disco. Also this will probably go over a lot better in European markets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

thathonkey posted:

Could you elaborate? Were there a lot of interviews along the lines of "hey, we are trying to make our most unsubstantial album to date. We hope you'll think so too." ?

A lot of what I read leading up to the album described it as not sounding like Daft Punk's other albums. I think sounding different than Daft Punk's other albums will turn off some people. (I'm not saying this is the only reason that some people dislike it.)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

And if Pharrell is known for anything, it's being on albums that don't sell well!

Uhh yeah did you forget what year it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Practically everyone I know is really excited for the album. My twitter feed was blowing up with people talking about the leak. I think it'll sell well. Hell it's even trending on twitter.

• Locked thread