Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gnome de plume posted:

drat it, not the sandwich, not like that. Katia needs the carbs for the big competition.

She could have picked it up and brushed it off but I think the three second rule applies.

I'm fairly certain that's what she did anyway. It's still good. All those recently-introduced microbes are just extra proteins.

Let's face it, she's desperate enough to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Noooooooooo! Why do good sandwiches die young?! :negative:

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh that's how it starts, surely the sandwich is still safe, right? Next thing you know you're huddled in an alley with the collywobbles and ataxia.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Update: a bit of pondering, and the sandwich is a metaphor, but still edible.

Oh and her eye's looking better. Kind of.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 9, 2013

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Pretty sure pulled pork sandwiches aren't supposed to do that.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Pretty sure pulled pork sandwiches aren't supposed to do that.

What foods have Detect Life as an effect?

Warm Body
Sep 18, 2007
The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps to tap, at three, on the teeth

IronSaber posted:

What foods have Detect Life as an effect?

According to an alchemy effects list, Bread Loaf has detect life properties. So does Rat Meat.

Must have been an interesting barbeque.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Where did the sandwich come from in the first place? Is that some Oblivion reference I've forgotten?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was wondering if I skipped a comic too. I mean, who was Lenka again?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Warm Body posted:

According to an alchemy effects list, Bread Loaf has detect life properties. So does Rat Meat.

Must have been an interesting barbeque.

BBQ pulled rat meat sandwich? :barf:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
http://www.prequeladventure.com/2013/01/katia-interrogate-interrogator/ <- the barbecue was offhandedly mentioned here. That was like four months ago so it's probably a little far back to reach when openly referencing an obscure detail, but it's been kind of neat watching the comments from people who remember it versus people who don't. And watching how many times "Lenka" pops up in the search log.

The fact that it was searchable was actually part of the reason I decided to avoid much explanation beyond that. Gaius only showed up in the (non-searchable) Excelsior flash so when I brought him back I dropped a bunch of reminders as to who he was, but Lenka's search results are very nice so I felt a little safer just assuming readers would remember her, and search/ask other readers if they didn't. Possibly a bad idea, but that's pretty much why I do this stuff: to see if it will work.

As for the sandwich, all that's really relevant is that it had some alchemy involved, like Sigrid's dinner. If you really want to get into the nitty gritty Oblivion references: the ingredients I'm assuming Lenka used were potato bread, ham, and tomato (for the barbecue sauce). The healing effect came from the pork and bread, the Detect Life came from the bread and tomato, and there's an additional +fatigue effect in there somewhere. Not too important overall, if you'd rather assume the pork was dead rats, the bread was a normal loaf, and the healing effect came from Gaius' flashback taking four months.

Kazerad fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 9, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

IronSaber posted:

BBQ pulled rat meat sandwich? :barf:

I'll have you know that pulled rat is a delicacy, especially if they don't decide to cut the rat with something truly disgusting like chicken.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Duh. I hadn't even noticed the custom search bar, silly me. But yeah it was a while ago...

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'll have you know that pulled rat is a delicacy, especially if they don't decide to cut the rat with something truly disgusting like chicken.

Well as long as you have ketchup.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ketchup would be pretty great, I mean a single tomato can restore fatigue, make you detect life, or even shield you if you're a good alchemist. Tomatos can also be used to make poison reducing your carrying capacity.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ketchup is fine, but tomatoes will never not be gross.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Finally, someone who gets it. I swear 2/3 of everything in every restaurant has tomatoes in it.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 17, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

You've obviously never eaten good tomatoes.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

New update, and more! :toot: http://www.prequeladventure.com/2013/06/2769/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The bonus update is definitely worth taking a look at.

ColorfulHorse6 :allears:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I was going to say I don't know if I'm comfortable with that, but if it's cheating against bronies I am all for it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Enjoyed this bonus update! Kind of a nice change of pace from all this Kvatch stuff I suppose.

I have to say though, Quill-Weave's pose looks kinda stiff. Maybe it's just a side effect of it being largely unchanged from when she first appeared in the story. To be fair I guess I've always preferred the slightly more detailed style like you see in the close-ups/action shots.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Drakkel posted:

Enjoyed this bonus update! Kind of a nice change of pace from all this Kvatch stuff I suppose.

I have to say though, Quill-Weave's pose looks kinda stiff. Maybe it's just a side effect of it being largely unchanged from when she first appeared in the story. To be fair I guess I've always preferred the slightly more detailed style like you see in the close-ups/action shots.

It's especially jarring immediately after a surprisingly fluid landing animation.

Still, that was a really cool bonus update. It's nice to see someone less doomed to poverty and failure for a bit.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Pyradox posted:

Still, that was a really cool bonus update. It's nice to see someone less doomed to poverty and failure for a bit.
I wouldn't go that far, she is a writer after all.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I voted 1 :smug:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

What a stinker.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kazerad, How did you access ColorfulHorse6's post from almost 2 days in the future?

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
:raise: Well that worked better than expected. In the course of two days, I went from something like 4th place to having a 1000+ vote lead on the person who was in first. I felt a little bad about that initially, until I poked around and discovered that he, too, was soliciting votes from his fanbase. And given that his designs were already some of the best in terms of art quality, I suspect a few of the people who had scores close to his were also drawing votes from somewhere. Armies are silently clashing here.

This feels a little unfair to the people who are actually playing the contest proper, but I have to admit it's drat fun. I feel like there has to be some caveat I'm missing, otherwise these contests would be nothing but webcomic authors dueling eachother.

Drakkel posted:

But she's already one of like two characters who isn't slouching! If I change her, my comic will officially be posturist.

But seriously, a lot of the older sprites are probably getting a little dated in terms of quality by now, but one of the reasons I'm holding on to them is to keep myself "anchored" so the art doesn't get too complex. I already have a little bit of escalation in the sprite complexity - compare these guys to these ones - but requiring the art to mix in with the older work at least puts something of a limit on it. In practice it doesn't look perfect, but it does keep the art at a quality level where it can actually be made. And an advantage to the MSPA-esque style inconsistency is that I can still deviate away from this for brief periods if I want to get arty or reference cliche fantasy art in a way the rigid sprites couldn't.

Fucknag posted:

Kazerad, How did you access ColorfulHorse6's post from almost 2 days in the future?
I went into Wordpress's settings and set the date to 6/6/13 to see the future comments (and then set it back afterwards of course, so I could still get the update out in time).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Just admit Hermaeus Mora gave you the tip. You've sold your soul!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Blackheart posted:

Just admit Hermaeus Mora gave you the tip. You've sold your soul!

Worth it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Kazerad posted:

This feels a little unfair to the people who are actually playing the contest proper, but I have to admit it's drat fun.
There must be some kind of metafictional value to crushing people's dreams both in and outside the comic itself.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do rather like the fact that the x-ray only showed for things that were in Katia's field of vision.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
So, there's the update.

I'm kind of hoping we're about to see one amusing, spontaneous, and entirely cathartic assbeating here. Probably not, but still.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The formula for the protagonist in this comic so far has been this:
  1. Wallow in angst
  2. Get a small boost or sliver of hope somehow
  3. Get kicked down hard
  4. Goto 1.

So she's about to get something comforting from Steve. He looks sad rather than grumpily sinister as usual. Maybe he's remorseful or something? Regardless, we already know it will end up in disaster eventually.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
When a cat-person whose been thoroughly swindled by an associate of yours points and stares at you with one blood-red eye in an ominous fashion it's possible you might start to consider things aren't going to go all that well in the immediate future.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Don't feel bad, Kazerad, this is basically how all of WLF's contests go, they're less a quality thing and more a popularity contest; soliciting of votes is pretty much how it always goes. Lots of well-done designs this time around and yours is pretty neat.

With that pointing pose, I'm not surprised the NPC slowly backed away.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Not quite Prequel but also kind of: the further adventures of kazerad quill weave!

Angry bronies :allears:

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
WLF has actually emailed me and commended me for playing up the villain role so well. They are completely aware that I am rolling their contest and they think it's hilarious.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Kazerad posted:

They are completely aware that I am rolling their contest and they think it's hilarious.
It really is hilarious to watch. :allears:
Although I have to wonder how their e-mail adress is looking like now. :D
That being said, thanks to this flare-up in drama I had the chance of reading your Tumblr analysis of your "Flickers": really interesting read so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

radintorov posted:

It really is hilarious to watch. :allears:
Although I have to wonder how their e-mail adress is looking like now. :D
That being said, thanks to this flare-up in drama I had the chance of reading your Tumblr analysis of your "Flickers": really interesting read so far.

I've been going through this, too, and now I really want to play it. Of course, I totally get that that kind of response is why people are usually hesitant to show off abandoned projects, but the concept is pretty clever. Writing all the different character interactions for different possible circumstances seems like a fun project, if somewhat daunting in scope.

• Locked thread