Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I stole this from CineD's movie poster thread: KICK START POSTER ART!

Come for the horrendous take on the already-horrendous style of Mondo's movie posters, stay for the amazingly inept photoshop hackjobs.

So, I emailed him and asked the obvious question and got the obvious reply...

quote:

hey
no i will not be getting any licenses at this time they are my artistic originals, also licenses are very expensive to gain and they don't just give them out to just any one. my hope and dream would be at some point to have my poster designs become licensed product. but thats not going to happen any time soon.
thanks again
-sal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This may be a stupid question, but as I understand it in the US, anyone can go to the ER and get help, and then you just get a bill, but they can't refuse treatment. It isn't the same with surgery that could save your life?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Oasx posted:

This may be a stupid question, but as I understand it in the US, anyone can go to the ER and get help, and then you just get a bill, but they can't refuse treatment. It isn't the same with surgery that could save your life?

I think the ER only has to do something if it is IMMEDIATELY life threatening.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

NeuroticErotica posted:

So, I emailed him and asked the obvious question and got the obvious reply...

Wow, it's like that one thing that's like Poe's Law except not about Hitler and more about being too dumb to know you're dumb

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Alan Smithee posted:

Wow, it's like that one thing that's like Poe's Law except not about Hitler and more about being too dumb to know you're dumb

Dunning-Kruger and/or Hanlon's Razor?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Alan Smithee posted:

Poe's Law isn't about Hitler. That's Godwin. Poe's Law is about not being able to tell a parody from an actual idiot.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Apparently games journalists had talked to Sagal and she told them it was for gender reassignment surgery, but they kept quiet as she said she'd kill herself. Destructoid's Feature Editor has been a total dickweed about on Twitter this morning.

https://twitter.com/DtoidAllistair

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

Apparently games journalists had talked to Sagal and she told them it was for gender reassignment surgery, but they kept quiet as she said she'd kill herself. Destructoid's Feature Editor has been a total dickweed about on Twitter this morning.

If she had just come out and said it was for gender reassignment, she would have gotten more interest out of both the gaming and LGBT community, but she went with this metal poisoning schtick that drew much more negative attention to the whole thing. I mean she basically blamed us (the internet) for her suicide for daring to question whether she was being completely honest, when she was flat out lying the entire time.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Jefferoo posted:

Apparently games journalists had talked to Sagal and she told them it was for gender reassignment surgery, but they kept quiet as she said she'd kill herself.

So very bizarre. She took journalists as ethical hostages and leveraged them to spread her scam? Wow.

EDIT: ^^ - I don't think it's that easy. These procedures sound very expensive, and no one knew who this person was until it was a life and death scenario implicating greedy healthcare providers. If she had used honesty instead, she would have just been another charity case. Her only real problem was her lie was stupid and ill conceived.

Jalumibnkrayal has a new favorite as of 16:50 on May 13, 2013

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Jefferoo posted:

To be fair if someone said "Do this or I will kill myself" I would be a bit pissed off. Especially if what they were doing went against my ethics (My ethics being dishonest with people why you want money, not gender reassignment). So we have an editor who went through this and now because there is the whole gender reassignment issue the editor is getting attacked on twitter..

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Autechresaint posted:

If she had just come out and said it was for gender reassignment, she would have gotten more interest out of both the gaming and LGBT community, but she went with this metal poisoning schtick that drew much more negative attention to the whole thing. I mean she basically blamed us (the internet) for her suicide for daring to question whether she was being completely honest, when she was flat out lying the entire time.

The gaming community is a cesspool of misogyny and homophobia so I can't blame her for wanting to keep it on the downlow.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Modern Day Hercules posted:

The gaming community is a cesspool of misogyny and homophobia so I can't blame her for wanting to keep it on the downlow.

Either way it seems like it was a no win situation. The options were basically:

1) Lie, which she did, and then deal with the fallout of that lie either before or after getting the funding/surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if people had tried to sue her if she had gotten funding for that "metal poisoning" surgery and then told everyone "I lied, it was for SRS". I don't know if any laws would have actually been broken, but people still might have tried to get some recourse.

2) Tell the truth and at best be subjected to the (somewhat deserved) "Fund my life" hate that those kinds of kickstarters get and at worst become a new harassment beacon for the likes of 4chan and reddit asshats.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Oasx posted:

The story she originally told was that she had "metal poisoning" following a years-ago car wreck, and needed to have the imbedded metal removed because it was poisoning her immune system. There are doctors in the US who actually would tell patients that, but they are quacks and as such would charge up front.

The only way her original story would have made sense was if she had had horrible attorneys and even worse, and unethical, quack doctors. Both categories abound, so it seemed somewhat possible that she was being lied to, rather than lying to others. Now we know it was the latter.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Crain posted:

Either way it seems like it was a no win situation. The options were basically:

1) Lie, which she did, and then deal with the fallout of that lie either before or after getting the funding/surgery. I wouldn't be surprised if people had tried to sue her if she had gotten funding for that "metal poisoning" surgery and then told everyone "I lied, it was for SRS". I don't know if any laws would have actually been broken, but people still might have tried to get some recourse.

2) Tell the truth and at best be subjected to the (somewhat deserved) "Fund my life" hate that those kinds of kickstarters get and at worst become a new harassment beacon for the likes of 4chan and reddit asshats.

Yeah you could probably feel bad about her situation if she didn't pull this retarded suicide move and also, apparently, try and blackmail journalists over her true intentions.

Threatening suicide to get what you want is a way shittier thing to do than scam a bunch of idiots out of their money.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Exmond posted:

To be fair if someone said "Do this or I will kill myself" I would be a bit pissed off. Especially if what they were doing went against my ethics (My ethics being dishonest with people why you want money, not gender reassignment). So we have an editor who went through this and now because there is the whole gender reassignment issue the editor is getting attacked on twitter..

No, he's being a dick by calling Sagal "he" and other bullshit. Crack on this woman all you like for being a scam artist, but don't be a jerk about her gender identity. Even if, as the Destructoid editor claims, she is still presenting as male legally and in some social contexts, Allastair isn't the arbiter of her gender identity.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Facepunch is saying she killed herself because people like us doubted her.

E: Attempted, to kill herself.

Top Hats Monthly has a new favorite as of 18:57 on May 13, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Facepunch is saying she killed herself because people like us doubted her.

It doesn't seem like she killed herself, based on the NeoGAF thread, and honestly "made a Twitch channel, lay down and took pills on-cam" would be pretty unlikely to succeed as a suicide method. Hoping she gets useful help, and that she can connect with a support network and get help with all aspects of her life, including finding a way to finance her gender affirmation treatments without scamming people.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Quit being a dick by calling her "alive" and other bullshit. Don't be a jerk about her existence identity. Even if, as Twitch/the EMTs claim, she is still alive legally and in some social contexts, they aren't the arbiter of her existence identity.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Babe Magnet posted:

Quit being a dick by calling her "alive" and other bullshit. Don't be a jerk about her existence identity. Even if, as Twitch/the EMTs claim, she is still alive legally and in some social contexts, they aren't the arbiter of her existence identity.

As much as the social in's and out's of transgenders might be strange in some contexts, there's no need to be smarmy like that.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

All hilarious jokes aside, just call her a she it isn't that difficult.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

AlbieQuirky posted:

No, he's being a dick by calling Sagal "he" and other bullshit. Crack on this woman all you like for being a scam artist, but don't be a jerk about her gender identity. Even if, as the Destructoid editor claims, she is still presenting as male legally and in some social contexts, Allastair isn't the arbiter of her gender identity.

You do realize that she blackmailed the editor with her life right? I think the editor is well within his right to put up his hands and be like "Im sick of this poo poo" and not care about gender identity.

Edit: Also if you read his tweets he references Chloe as she many times

Exmond has a new favorite as of 21:46 on May 13, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess since it didn't look like it was going to get funded, that Shadow of the Eternals game has a Kickstarter now...and the crowdfunding thing on their own site is still going.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

This is pretty gross. So why are they asking for $125k LESS on the kickstarter than they are asking for on their own site? Kickstarter takes a cut, shouldn't they be asking for a little more? It's like they are just grasping at anything right now and hoping something sticks. How long before they start an Indiegogo page as well?

fake edit: I just answered my own question, they are probably going to keep the money they raised on their own site, hence the $125k difference..how scumbaggy...

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

This is pretty gross. So why are they asking for $125k LESS on the kickstarter than they are asking for on their own site? Kickstarter takes a cut, shouldn't they be asking for a little more? It's like they are just grasping at anything right now and hoping something sticks. How long before they start an Indiegogo page as well?

fake edit: I just answered my own question, they are probably going to keep the money they raised on their own site, hence the $125k difference..how scumbaggy...

I know people pretty much think it's scumbaggy because Denis Dyack is a scumbag, but as an example Star Citizen did basically the same thing where they ran a campaign on their website while running a simultaneous campaign on kickstarter and basically did funding/stretch goals as a combination of the 2 totals. I don't remember people complaining too loudly, and they got a crap ton of money.

Not everyone wants to give on Kickstarter and Kickstarter doesn't take paypal. Too bad none of that matters because no one should give any amount of money to that project.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Yes but when they say a certain reward is 'limited' and yet add an addition 1500 on another donation site, it comes off trite. Also, they were being completely dishonest to the original people who donated on their site, and now no one really knows how much they ACTUALLY need to meet their goal..if they make 1.5 million on one site, but fail on the other, what's stopping them from keeping the money since they did make their goal. Does the game cost 1.5 million to make or 2.85?

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
The entire Chloe situation is one of the hugest clusterfucks I've seen and while there are some good points to be said (points that HAVE been said) for both sides, it's drowned out by namecalling and extremism. Indie games have a very vocal trans community who I usually unequivocally agree with, but it's hard to not take issue at all with outright defense of Chloe in all regards. However, that's still more attractive of a position than being one of the usual misogynist, ignorant gamers who have are pretty much taking glee that she attempted suicide because she did a few sketchy, lovely things and has some mental issues.

Too bad this the age of an incredibly polarized internet life in general, where taking a position of any moderation will just have both sides rejecting and vilifying you.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Exmond posted:

You do realize that she blackmailed the editor with her life right? I think the editor is well within his right to put up his hands and be like "Im sick of this poo poo" and not care about gender identity.

Edit: Also if you read his tweets he references Chloe as she many times

I understand how someone who is (justly) angry at someone who has treated them like poo poo would want to be purposefully rude to that person, sure. Someone asked why Allistair was getting flak on Twitter, though, and it was for posting stuff like "she (I should say he because he's a him in real life)". Which, despite his justified anger at her lovely, manipulative behavior and lies, was rude.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

bomblol posted:

The entire Chloe situation is one of the hugest clusterfucks I've seen and while there are some good points to be said (points that HAVE been said) for both sides, it's drowned out by namecalling and extremism. Indie games have a very vocal trans community who I usually unequivocally agree with, but it's hard to not take issue at all with outright defense of Chloe in all regards. However, that's still more attractive of a position than being one of the usual misogynist, ignorant gamers who have are pretty much taking glee that she attempted suicide because she did a few sketchy, lovely things and has some mental issues.

Too bad this the age of an incredibly polarized internet life in general, where taking a position of any moderation will just have both sides rejecting and vilifying you.

It's possible to think she was being a lovely person based solely on what she did without being misogynist or ignorant.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

AnonSpore posted:

It's possible to think she was being a lovely person based solely on what she did without being misogynist or ignorant.

Yeah, that was actually the point of my post, you should read it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Exmond posted:

When someone says "Do X or I kill myself" you need to alert the authorities and pass on the details of the suicide threat being made. Sitting on it and going along with a lie is pretty hosed up. Gaming media gets poo poo on for being worthless all the time and this doesn't help their image.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
http://www.fringebacker.com/en/projects/iphonecase_mouleitau/

Typical iPhone paraphernalia kickstarter. This one is just for some iPhone case designs.

Here's Steve Jobs presenting them!

Give some guy who isn't Steve Jobs your money now!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Bloodnose posted:

http://www.fringebacker.com/en/projects/iphonecase_mouleitau/

Typical iPhone paraphernalia kickstarter. This one is just for some iPhone case designs.

Here's Steve Jobs presenting them!

Give some guy who isn't Steve Jobs your money now!

That's kind of sick, honestly. The man's dead for gently caress's sake. I don't know beyond that what my beef with it is, but it just seems really tasteless.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

That's kind of sick, honestly. The man's dead for gently caress's sake. I don't know beyond that what my beef with it is, but it just seems really tasteless.

Depending on how much money is involved, I'm sure an attorney may pay them a visit about using Jobs's likeness in their advertising

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xelkelvos posted:

Depending on how much money is involved, I'm sure an attorney may pay them a visit about using Jobs's likeness in their advertising

That's an actual photo of jobs, but the point stands.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Accordion Man posted:

Hey guys do you want a sequel to the Nintendo horror video game Eternal Darkness? Well you're in luck because the original developer is trying to make a spiritual successor. They may have already fleeced a major publisher to help fund the gameplay video for it and also lost millions in a frivolous lawsuit they started last year, but don't worry guys they totally want to make a great game and not just steal your money. That's why they completely bypassed Kickstarter and Indiegogo and made the crowdfunding campaign on their own site, because they want to interact with you the gamer directly.

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

Also please ignore their Terms of Use page, its all legal mumbo jumbo that hardcore gamers such as yourselves shouldn't bother yourselves with.

Great news, in addition to collecting funding on their own site, they have also opened a Kickstarter campaign, to get money for the same game : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals?ref=card

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

What? That's what likeness means. Any depiction including a photo.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

Is a photo not the ultimate likeness?

Yeah, using a dead man to sell your product without permission is just wrong.

A reinvented fanny-pack, because a black sash goes with every outfit. They have said they will come out with more colors, but even then do sashes go with every outfit?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Machai posted:

Is a photo not the ultimate likeness?

Yeah, using a dead man to sell your product without permission is just wrong.

A reinvented fanny-pack, because a black sash goes with every outfit. They have said they will come out with more colors, but even then do sashes go with every outfit?

No but suspenders do. Time for me to get in on Kickstartin.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

AlbieQuirky posted:

The story she originally told was that she had "metal poisoning" following a years-ago car wreck, and needed to have the imbedded metal removed because it was poisoning her immune system.

Anyone who donated because they believed that ridiculous story was probably going to be parted with their money soon anyway so no big impact really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

No but suspenders do. Time for me to get in on Kickstartin.

OH! A fedora with hidden pockets for your credit cards and money. I'll make millions!