Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ineptmule posted:

So my girlfriend is writing a paper for publication and has an issue with referencing online resources. One of the URLs is around 20 words/60 characters long, which looks dreadful and is no use for anybody reading it in print form anyhow.

My question is, could it be acceptable to use something like TinyURL to make links in a paper more reasonable? I'd guess that as part of the reason they're included is to show they are from a reputable source, so that could be a problem.

If that's not going to fly, any suggestions for either shortening this particularly bad example, or for links in general?
What about citing the full url for those who want to know who is behind the information, and parenthesizing the tinyurl for those who actually want to type it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ineptmule posted:

So my girlfriend is writing a paper for publication and has an issue with referencing online resources. One of the URLs is around 20 words/60 characters long, which looks dreadful and is no use for anybody reading it in print form anyhow.

My question is, could it be acceptable to use something like TinyURL to make links in a paper more reasonable? I'd guess that as part of the reason they're included is to show they are from a reputable source, so that could be a problem.

If that's not going to fly, any suggestions for either shortening this particularly bad example, or for links in general?

You should always include the full url, preferably an archived version of the resource. Using url shorteners is not reccomended becuase those can easily change or simply have the service stop working.

Of course, there's no need to reference the full URL within the text of the paper itself, you put that at the end or in footnotes.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, we're talking about the reference in the bibliography, not the body of the article. The issue is that the URL is literally three full lines on the page, and we're worried that'll look really sloppy.

Then again it would be sloppier to reference incorrectly, so we may have no choice.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ineptmule posted:

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, we're talking about the reference in the bibliography, not the body of the article. The issue is that the URL is literally three full lines on the page, and we're worried that'll look really sloppy.

Then again it would be sloppier to reference incorrectly, so we may have no choice.

Don't worry about it, the publishers will certainly have seen much worse in previous submissions, and it's to be expected these days.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm an amateur at using photoshop for print. I can't get colors right for poo poo. :smithicide:

On the left side is what my monitor sees in Photoshop and on the right is what my monitor sees if I open it in a program like Irfanaview. It also prints out like the image on the right. How can I adjust it so Photoshop's colors will look like the one on the right so I stop loving up prints?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is your monitor calibrated?

What color profile are you using in Photoshop?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can someone give me the canonical version (or at least a good version) of that joke that involves three heads of state wasting their country's most famous products?

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

muike posted:

How should I handle the total spergfit I want to have whenever I see someone use "yea" instead of "yeah"

Irregardless of whether it bothers you, you literally have no choice but too except it. :haw:

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

pupdive posted:

Irregardless of whether it bothers you, you literally have no choice but too except it. :haw:

hnggh.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
I don't know if this would fit best here or not, but if someone has a better suggestion for where to take it, I'm all ears.

My girlfriend just graduated with a BS (or maybe BA but I'm pretty sure BS) in zoology and has like no idea what even to do with that degree which is stupid and frustrating but whatever, and we're trying to figure out where she could even start applying that would really care about it (and pay enough to help when loans start to kick in). Zoos, obviously, since we're in Columbus we have a big one, but it's also got pretty high requirements for applicants, including experience which she of course has none of fresh out of college. We've been Googling around not having a lot of luck finding anything, and I was just wondering if anyone had any idea off the top of their head what she could start applying for, and maybe if there's an employment agency or something she could get in contact with to find her work?

She's considering just going back to grad school but since it's a bit late for that and loans are going to start hitting in August, we're trying to find something sooner than next year.

e: I just found The Wildlife Society so we'll probably put her resume up on there, but yeah more stuff like that.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 14, 2013

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I don't know if this would fit best here or not, but if someone has a better suggestion for where to take it, I'm all ears.

My girlfriend just graduated with a BS (or maybe BA but I'm pretty sure BS) in zoology and has like no idea what even to do with that degree which is stupid and frustrating but whatever, and we're trying to figure out where she could even start applying that would really care about it (and pay enough to help when loans start to kick in). Zoos, obviously, since we're in Columbus we have a big one, but it's also got pretty high requirements for applicants, including experience which she of course has none of fresh out of college. We've been Googling around not having a lot of luck finding anything, and I was just wondering if anyone had any idea off the top of their head what she could start applying for, and maybe if there's an employment agency or something she could get in contact with to find her work?

She's considering just going back to grad school but since it's a bit late for that and loans are going to start hitting in August, we're trying to find something sooner than next year.

e: I just found The Wildlife Society so we'll probably put her resume up on there, but yeah more stuff like that.

Her university has a careers counselling service for exactly problems like this. She can also ask her profs if she wasn't a complete slacker in their classes.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

greazeball posted:

Her university has a careers counselling service for exactly problems like this. She can also ask her profs if she wasn't a complete slacker in their classes.

Her university has been...less than helpful with finding her work or telling her where she might be able to apply, though it's very possible that she hasn't exhausted all possible routes. I'll definitely tell her to hound everyone down that she can, thanks.

e: Also her college is in Illinois and we're in Ohio, so it'll make that a bit difficult, but we'll definitely try.

e2: I'm worried too that since it's a private school and she officially graduated (and stopped paying) in January that they might not put as much effort into helping.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 14, 2013

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

OK, here's my stupid small question...

I wear safety boots at work, and I like them tied tight. After walking around for an hour or so, my boots feel loose on my feet, and I'd have to re-tie them to keep them tight. Is there a way to tie them, or different laces I could use to keep my safety boots snug on my feet for 8 hours of walking around?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Her university has been...less than helpful with finding her work or telling her where she might be able to apply, though it's very possible that she hasn't exhausted all possible routes. I'll definitely tell her to hound everyone down that she can, thanks.

e: Also her college is in Illinois and we're in Ohio, so it'll make that a bit difficult, but we'll definitely try.

e2: I'm worried too that since it's a private school and she officially graduated (and stopped paying) in January that they might not put as much effort into helping.

There was a thread about marine biology that might be relevant:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547553

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I wear safety boots at work, and I like them tied tight. After walking around for an hour or so, my boots feel loose on my feet, and I'd have to re-tie them to keep them tight. Is there a way to tie them, or different laces I could use to keep my safety boots snug on my feet for 8 hours of walking around?

This is how I tie my boots so they don't come undone, even with "slippery" laces. You can still undo the knot with a fair bit of tugging on the ends of the laces, but I've never had them go loose on their own.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a thread for domestic violence/police report stuff, or should I ask here?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

There was a thread about marine biology that might be relevant:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547553

She's interested in this kind of thing so I'll pass it along, thanks!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The Zombie Guy posted:

Do you do a double bow? If you tie the loops from a regular bow together it's pretty secure. I've never had that come undone on me.

However sometimes the lace gets unhooked from one of the upper hooks but I think that's an issue with my boots rather than the tieing.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

photomikey posted:

I just got a new house, and we're moving next week. My garage floor is nice enough, but it would sure look better with a coat of paint on it. My dad recommends this stuff:

http://www.alphagarage.com/calculate.php

Which looks great, but it's several coats over several days, and it's $600 to say hello. I do not need it to look like Nascar, but I may live in this house for 10 or 20 years, and this may well be the only time the garage is ever empty - it is my one chance to do anything.

Any suggestions that are more in line with a half day's work and $50-$100?

I'm pretty sure Lowe's and Home Depot sells paint specifically for sealing and painting cement garage floors, I would take a stroll down the paint aisle. I'd be more of an expert but I'm still a few steps away from painting my basement.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I'm afraid that most bio majors don't get to swim with the dolphins or work on captive breeding programs for condors. Has she looked at doing grunt work in research labs that use animals? Universities need people to feed mice, clean cages, maybe even dissect the occasional animal subject - same with pharma companies. Botanical gardens need people to care for their shrubs and help eradicate invasive species, and she's probably had enough chem classes to apply for jobs looking for (but not requiring) chem majors. If she has programming skills, computational biology is a big field right now, especially if she's willing to pour herself into learning more stuff as she goes along. If she goes to grad school in bio, some computer skills will go a long way toward helping her explore different areas of the field anyway. After all, nobody does bioinformatics with a pencil and paper.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

This is how I tie my boots so they don't come undone, even with "slippery" laces. You can still undo the knot with a fair bit of tugging on the ends of the laces, but I've never had them go loose on their own.

I use this knot too, and I don't think my laces have come undone on their own even once since I started. A caveat though--be careful when untying them. If you pull one of the loose ends through one of the loops by mistake you'll end up with a huge snarl of a knot that's difficult to get undone.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

haveblue posted:

Can someone give me the canonical version (or at least a good version) of that joke that involves three heads of state wasting their country's most famous products?

Here's the one I'm most familiar with. Substitute racial slurs/heads of state as you see fit.

The presidents of America, Russia and Mexico are all riding a train together. The Russian president pulls a bottle of Vodka from out of his bag, takes a swig, and then throws the bottle out the window. The American and Mexican presidents stare at him, dumbfounded and ask "Why did you do that?" "Relax." replies the Russian president, "Where I come from, we have an too many of these. They're worthless"

The train rolls along for a while later, and then the Mexican president pulls a bottle of Tequila from out of his bag, takes a swig, and then throws the bottle out the window. Again, the other two presidents stare at him and ask why he wasted it. His reply is "Relax. Where I come from, we have too many of these. They're worthless.

The train rolls along for a while, and then the American president pulls a bat out of his bag. He looks at it for a while, turns it over in his hands a few times, and then cracks the Mexican president over the head. While the Mexican president is dazed, the American picks him up and tosses him out the window. The Russian president is visibly shaken and demands to know why the American president just did that. He replies "Relax. Where I come from, we have too many of these. They're worthless."

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I have a quick question, and I looked in the travel subforum, but didn't find a thread that it seemed like this question would fit in.

I'm supposed to go to a conference in Israel at the end of next week. I hold a US passport. Will I need to get a visa before hand? Some pages on the internet say that I don't, but the wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Israel) doesn't list the US as a country that gets Visa-free entry into Israel.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Find your local Israeli embassy or consulate, and talk to them. Visa issues are not something you should put off to the last minute, especially for something like a work conference and not just a holiday.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anti-itch cream actually work for anyone on mosquito bites? I don't know why I keep trying it, it does nothing at all to me, it never has. Is it just something about me, or is it meant as a placebo?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Steve Yun posted:

Is there a thread for domestic violence/police report stuff, or should I ask here?

Uhh... the mods aren't real police, you know. What exactly do you want?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does anti-itch cream actually work for anyone on mosquito bites? I don't know why I keep trying it, it does nothing at all to me, it never has. Is it just something about me, or is it meant as a placebo?

If it's the stuff with menthol and thymol, the effect is basically that your skin feels cooler and that distracts from the itching.

Over the counter Hydrocortisone cream (~1%) actually stops the inflammation and will stop the itching that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

If it's the stuff with menthol and thymol, the effect is basically that your skin feels cooler and that distracts from the itching.

Over the counter Hydrocortisone cream (~1%) actually stops the inflammation and will stop the itching that way.
This one says the active ingredient is diphenhydramine hydrochloride 2%. Is that one of those, or something else?

But like, no itch cream I have ever used in my life has been of any use, not on either bites or sunburns or anything. I was never paying attention to what type I was getting, is it possible it was always the same, wrong type?

edit: it does do one kind of worthwhile thing, coating the bite with gooey stuff makes me think twice about scratching it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

That is an antihistamine, which is another class of compounds that reduce irritation. It's an anti-allergen medication.

Try hyrdocortisone (aka cortisol) cream. The generic stuff is usually very cheap. It works really well for bad sunburn too.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
This question is probably better for Traditional Games but I could not find a relevant thread to stick it in, so lets try here.

Are there any games, preferably tabletop or board games but I am interested in video games as well, that focus more on the concept of developing place via the actions of its inhabitants over time? I don't exactly mean a city building game, where it is the planning you focus on, but more on how the actions of inhabitants shape a specific place over multiple generations.

Multi-generational games like Hellas are the closest I can think of to this, as they focus on the development of a family lineage/history based on the actions of its members. I am thinking of something tied to a more physical location than something as abstract as shaping family honor.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
That's an antihistamine. It's what's in benadryl. It'd help right at the beginning but maybe not once you've started scratching it. Cortisone is a general anti-itch thing that you could try. Mostly though mosquitoes are the worst and you are doomed to suffering.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That's an antihistamine. It's what's in benadryl. It'd help right at the beginning but maybe not once you've started scratching it. Cortisone is a general anti-itch thing that you could try. Mostly though mosquitoes are the worst and you are doomed to suffering.
Yeah, if there was an actual way to do away with the annoyance of mosquitoes (other than walking around in a mosquito net all day and night) the world would be a five hundred times better place.

It's always the ankles for me, I think they get me while I am at my desk (like I am now) and can't see what they are up to down there. My apartment has a million little holes everywhere that mosquitoes and other bugs can get through.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Peristalsis posted:

I'm afraid that most bio majors don't get to swim with the dolphins or work on captive breeding programs for condors.

Yeah that was the fun realization coming out of college. But those are definitely good suggestions, and she did enough chem classes required by her major to automatically have a chem minor, which I hadn't considered might be useful to leverage things for other jobs, and I'm a computer science major so I can try to get her up to speed on programming stuff, so yeah I'll definitely let her know about what you said, thanks a bunch!

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, if there was an actual way to do away with the annoyance of mosquitoes (other than walking around in a mosquito net all day and night) the world would be a five hundred times better place.

It's always the ankles for me, I think they get me while I am at my desk (like I am now) and can't see what they are up to down there. My apartment has a million little holes everywhere that mosquitoes and other bugs can get through.

Start burning citronella candles in your house or caulk the holes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Do we still live in an age where the mere act of opening a spam email will infect your PC? Normally I ignore every spam letter I receive, but this one actually has my mom's entire name as the sender but the email address it came from is not hers. I'm pretty positive she got hacked or something, and I wanna check this particular email to see whats what. Also even if it was her legit email, she was on a plane when the email was sent out (which is why I can't call her and ask her about it)

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 14, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sieg posted:

Start burning citronella candles in your house or caulk the holes.
I haven't done anything drastic yet because we're talking like one or two mosquitoes getting in a week, there just aren't very many here in general. Each bite is still annoying though.

edit: I think I finally plugged up every way that cockroaches can get in, but mosquitoes are a lot smaller than that. This is just a really old low-rent apartment (but I love it anyway) and has countless gaps all around everything that goes in and out.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 14, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

This question is probably better for Traditional Games but I could not find a relevant thread to stick it in, so lets try here.

Are there any games, preferably tabletop or board games but I am interested in video games as well, that focus more on the concept of developing place via the actions of its inhabitants over time? I don't exactly mean a city building game, where it is the planning you focus on, but more on how the actions of inhabitants shape a specific place over multiple generations.

Multi-generational games like Hellas are the closest I can think of to this, as they focus on the development of a family lineage/history based on the actions of its members. I am thinking of something tied to a more physical location than something as abstract as shaping family honor.

When I was a kid the school district where I lived had a really good gifted enrichment program, and at one time I took a class that did something similar to this. We used a game called Adapt, IIRC, but I'm having trouble finding any info about it online. Basically there was an enormous world with various resources scattered around, and you would settle your prehistoric tribe in one place or another. You'd use the things around you to survive, but they'd also shape your culture as you moved to new ages of civilization. Like you might use fishing grounds to feed your peoople, and as a result you develop a strong maritime tradition. It was a little like Civilization but on paper, and without micromanagement of cities and chariots and battleships and whatnot.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

Thanks for the link, I'll give this a shot tonight and see how it goes.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Perhaps 7 Wonders?

Check out boardgamegeek.com, they'd definitely know if you ask in their forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Do we still live in an age where the mere act of opening a spam email will infect your PC? Normally I ignore every spam letter I receive, but this one actually has my mom's entire name as the sender but the email address it came from is not hers. I'm pretty positive she got hacked or something, and I wanna check this particular email to see whats what. Also even if it was her legit email, she was on a plane when the email was sent out (which is why I can't call her and ask her about it)

Outlook could be risky, but if you have a web login, you should be able to safely use that without a problem, provided it doesn't automatically download pictures or run scripts in emails (I know GMail doesn't). If you want to be double-safe, use a browser logged in from a sandbox (like Sandboxie). You could probably even open an email in Outlook running in a sandbox and be fine, but I'm not 100% confident in that.