Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Alex WS posted:

RIght now I'm in the mood for one of those 80/90's action/drama/thriller where someone like James Woods is a normal guy whose family gets kidnapped or something. Is there something in that vein on Netflix?

Breakdown is the exact movie you're looking for. Still sorta worth watching even if you're not in the mood anymore.

Also maybe Changing Lanes which fits the whole "ordinary man thrust into extraordinary tense situation" genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Looks like another Hal Hartley flick has been put up - his excellent No Such Thing. It's certainly a Hartley film, but within that style is quite unique. Here's the intro scene to give you the basic hook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ad9vJo-580

e: and yes, that is Robert John Burke, aka "RoboCop 3"!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Aorist posted:

The interaction between the kids is easily the best part of the show now, they really did find a remarkable rhythm in the second season.

It's like Gene and Louise are two Bart Simpsons, but the show somehow manages to distinguish the two.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

precision posted:

Oh wow, really? Learn something new every day. By this point, I honestly forget that she's voiced by a dude half the time (same with Bob's wife).

Not like this is a new or rare thing, Bart Simpson (and half the other male children on The Simpsons) is Nancy Cartwright, who was nearly 30 when the show started.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

Not like this is a new or rare thing, Bart Simpson (and half the other male children on The Simpsons) is Nancy Cartwright, who was nearly 30 when the show started.

You don't understand, Tina and Daniel have the exact same voice, which is Dan Mintz' normal speaking voice.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

...of SCIENCE! posted:

One of my favorite little character moments is when Bob is having a meltdown and yelling at passers-by because the critic gave his restaurant a bad review, and Louise runs outside and joins him without even knowing what's going on just because she's so much like her father. :3:

That really was the sweetest. The show is just full of endearing moments like this and it NEVER gets cloying. Another favourite is in the Beefsquatch episode, when Bob wants Louise's help with pranking Gene, and she mimes calling her jalapeño guy and Bob wants to talk to him and mimes along and they're both so excited and just having a blast and it really shines through.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah I probably already said this in this thread and many others but Bob's Burgers is a really perfect spiritual successor to the heartwarming early years of The Simpsons, from the quirky but well-developed central family to the gender-swapped voice actors of the kids.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

precision posted:

Looks like another Hal Hartley flick has been put up - his excellent No Such Thing. It's certainly a Hartley film, but within that style is quite unique. Here's the intro scene to give you the basic hook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ad9vJo-580

e: and yes, that is Robert John Burke, aka "RoboCop 3"!

I love this movie. I saw it years and years ago randomly on TV, and have rewatched it several times since. It really struck a chord with me (not to mention it made me fall in love with Sarah Polley).

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
After weeks of hand-waving Cabin in the Woods off as I don't really watch horror movies, I finally relented last night and really enjoyed it! I don't know why I keep doubting you guys. :)

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Well, I've started watching a few things based on the thread. I've known for quite some time that I haven't used Netflix enough to really justify keeping it, except when House of Cards came out and we burned through it in a week. Other than that, we were just really, really slowly watching Robin Hood.

For some reason, I'd kind of ignored John Dies at the End, and had no idea Don Coscarelli directed it. I enjoyed it, and remain slightly amazed that it even got made.

I also started Bob's Burgers, which I'd passed over because I dislike most of the animated shows that air around it. Watched the first two episodes last night, and my appreciation of the second was enhanced by the fact that I just watched The Shining again a few weeks ago. Definitely going to keep on with that, and with some of the other stuff I've added to queue. (Most likely, Doomsday Book, Hara-Kiri, Dumplings or The Natural History of the Chicken is next.)

The thing I've been watching on Netflix and not seen in the thread -- although I did skip 180 pages or so, to be fair -- is a French crime drama called Spiral. You have to kind of learn through inference how the French justice system hangs together, and it's full of terrible people making terrible decisions, but it is a pretty good example of the season-long story with smaller stories sprinkled through.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

DeimosRising posted:

This is pretty common since it's easier for a woman to sound like an adolescent boy than it is for a grown man. A lot of cartoons do it (Timmy Turner in The Fairly Odd Parents jumps to mind). However, it's a lot rarer for a man to do a woman's voice since they can rarely do it convincingly and usually sound more like a Monty Python actor playing a woman. But what's strange about animation is that if they do you get used to it. When I see Doc Hammer in an interview mention he's the voice of Dr. Girlfriend it throws me off because I now associate that voice with a woman.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Since there's all this talk about Bob's Burgers I feel the need to point out that another Loren Bouchard series, Home Movies, is also on Netflix and if you haven't seen it you should remedy that. It takes a little getting used to but once it gets in it's groove, it's fantastic. It also has not one but two characters voiced by Jon Benjamin.

Also, has anyone else pointed out that Kill List is now on Instant, because Kill List is now on instant. It's not a pleasant or easy movie but it's definitely worth watching.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

axleblaze posted:

Also, has anyone else pointed out that Kill List is now on Instant, because Kill List is now on instant. It's not a pleasant or easy movie but it's definitely worth watching.

Do you know if it has subtitles?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

axleblaze posted:

Holy poo poo I know what I'm doing when I get home

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Parachute posted:

Do you know if it has subtitles?

Yes it does. Anyone that is not really confident in their ability to understand really thick British accents should use them. This is seriously the only British movie I've seen where I've had trouble figuring out what people were saying.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

axleblaze posted:

Yes it does. Anyone that is not really confident in their ability to understand really thick British accents should use them. This is seriously the only British movie I've seen where I've had trouble figuring out what people were saying.

You mean Snatch?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
It happens to the best of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dark Matters is like Arthur C Clark presents gone cheaper and cornier. CG sets with bad actors doing horrid reenactments? CHECK. Sepia and scratchy film filter added to show that something happened in the past? CHECK. "Scientific" show that takes dramatic license and has Eisenstein's brain talking? CHECK. I can't decide to love or hate it. I can tell you that the most you'll see of John Nobel is the cover box and maybe 1 minute of him talking in a CG hallway per episode.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

Breakdown is the exact movie you're looking for. Still sorta worth watching even if you're not in the mood anymore.

Also maybe Changing Lanes which fits the whole "ordinary man thrust into extraordinary tense situation" genre.
Coincidentally I saw Breakdown just a few days ago. You're right, it's a pretty good example of that kind of movie. Kurt Russel is always good.

Now I'm in the mood for movies with cool characters who use language and rhetoric to show off. Like Anthony Hopkins in Fracture, Tom Cruise in Collateral or Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting. Any suggestions?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Copper is an above-average period crime/cop drama set in New York right after the Civil War. It was a BBC America original helmed by the guy who did HBO's Oz. Season 2 starts next month, so now is a good time to check it out.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Junkie Disease posted:

Dark Matters is like Arthur C Clark presents gone cheaper and cornier. CG sets with bad actors doing horrid reenactments? CHECK. Sepia and scratchy film filter added to show that something happened in the past? CHECK. "Scientific" show that takes dramatic license and has Eisenstein's brain talking? CHECK. I can't decide to love or hate it. I can tell you that the most you'll see of John Nobel is the cover box and maybe 1 minute of him talking in a CG hallway per episode.

You don't see a lot of Noble, but if you're a Fringe fan you'll appreciate the accent he uses to narrate the show.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Netflix stops third-party apps from tracking when streaming titles expire.

Overreaction to the Warner backlash, obviously.

I'm starting to seriously consider an idea I had a while back - remove all movies from my queue, leaving only TV shows. Lots of stuff expires before I get to it anyway, plus quite a few of those movies are "hey I liked this when I saw it 10+ years ago, I should add it to my queue so I can watch it again when I feel like it, which is NEVER"

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just finished Richard Shepard's The Hunting Party. I was a big fan of The Matador and was hoping this would be as funny. It's not but the film isn't just going for the laughs. I thought it was pretty good, a well done mix of humor and drama.

Both of Shepard's films have promotional materials marketing them as action/thrillers, which is quite amusing.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Kill List was a hell of a movie. Just watched it and I loved it. Gonna re-watch soon. I don't know why its scores on the rating sites are mediocre. It's not a Great Film, but it's interesting and effective--and I mean that as very strong praise. I wouldn't say it's dark, as others have, I'd call it challenging. I recommend it to people who consider themselves fans of movies or film literate. Its misdirection is well-done and doesn't feel manipulative. The viewer can easily figure out what's coming halfway through, but can't predict the magnitude and mood of it. That's the best kind of twist. Stop reading spoilers about it and watch it!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

I think it's more like a more responsible version of In Search Of..., down to the former sci-fi star hosting it. Also, his accent and dress make it seem like Walternate is the host--like it's a popular show from the other universe that we're getting to see.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I don't believe I've seen it mentioned but Into The Wild is available now. It stars Emile Hirsch as Christopher "Alexander Supertramp" McCandless, a kid who graduates college and decides to trek across the United States before making his way to Alaska, where he wants to live off the land. It is directed by Sean Penn and features a darn good soundtrack by Eddie Vedder. The supporting cast includes an Oscar nominated performance by Hal Holbrook. It's pretty faithful to the book, for anyone who is familiar with the material, although of course they have to crowbar in a female character for a romantic angle.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Mescal posted:

Kill List was a hell of a movie. Just watched it and I loved it. Gonna re-watch soon. I don't know why its scores on the rating sites are mediocre. It's not a Great Film, but it's interesting and effective--and I mean that as very strong praise. I wouldn't say it's dark, as others have, I'd call it challenging. I recommend it to people who consider themselves fans of movies or film literate. Its misdirection is well-done and doesn't feel manipulative. The viewer can easily figure out what's coming halfway through, but can't predict the magnitude and mood of it. That's the best kind of twist. Stop reading spoilers about it and watch it!

It blew my mind when I saw someone mention that the opening scenes of the family playing directly foreshadow the ending. The plot is fairly easy to follow but there are certain things that don't make sense and I don't think they are supposed to. I'd love to read an analysis of the film from someone familiar with the British upper and middle class, because there are definitely some class dynamics at work.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Sand Monster posted:

I don't believe I've seen it mentioned but Into The Wild is available now. It stars Emile Hirsch as Christopher "Alexander Supertramp" McCandless, a kid who graduates college and decides to trek across the United States before making his way to Alaska, where he wants to live off the land. It is directed by Sean Penn and features a darn good soundtrack by Eddie Vedder. The supporting cast includes an Oscar nominated performance by Hal Holbrook. It's pretty faithful to the book, for anyone who is familiar with the material, although of course they have to crowbar in a female character for a romantic angle.

It's funny that this movie seemed to be so popular with other 20-somethings who believed that had to "find themselves" and "go back to nature", considering how it all plays out. I'd imagine that following in that guy's footsteps would be the absolute last thing any sane person would want to do.

It's not a bad movie, but it's more of a cautionary tale than an inspirational one.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, when I first heard Sean Penn was directing the film, I feared he was going to romanticize it and downplay the hubris of the kid, but he mostly played it pretty straight.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

While I did kind of object to the presence of that element of the story because it seems like they included it to make the guy seem more normal and relatable, the performance from the actor playing the girl was pretty solid--it surprised me because the woman playing her is the lead from Twilight, the one everybody rips on for bad acting.

There's also a very strong performance from Vince Vaughn, who I usually can't stand.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mescal posted:

I didn't really care for it, I felt like it had nothing to say and a lot of ways to say it. The guy was a completely loathsome prick and in the end he doesn't even look upset, was that the point? I'm not saying it was bad, but I think "mediocre" is apt, like C+ territory.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

donJonSwan posted:

I also loved This Must Be the Place, Sean Penn was loving hilarious and the scene with David Byrne was loving brilliant. Mumblecore is a stupid word, but it's also a pretty easy way to describe this movie. Slow, and dry, but I loved it all the way through.

This movie would of been a lot better without the INSANELY hamfisted cramming of This Must Be the Place throughout the movie, wtf was that about? Supremely annoying.

I mean it's a great song and all, but the concert was totally out of place and i don't need to hear a different iteration of the song throughout the movie.

Was David Byrne the executive producer or something?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, somehow I completely missed that Netflix has The Twilight Zone.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, somehow I completely missed that Netflix has The Twilight Zone.

Similarly, the first three seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents are on Netflix. It's the same kind of twisty thriller drama as The Twilight Zone, but without the sci-fi element. Hitchcock himself directs a handful of episodes as well as bookending each episode a la Rod Serling. The quality of the episodes vary quite a bit, but the show can be really fun, especially if you're a big Hitchcock fan like I am. Robert Altman and Arthur Hiller even pop in to direct a few episodes.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

WarEternal posted:

I didn't really care for it, I felt like it had nothing to say and a lot of ways to say it. The guy was a completely loathsome prick and in the end he doesn't even look upset, was that the point? I'm not saying it was bad, but I think "mediocre" is apt, like C+ territory.

Maybe you're right; like I said, I'll have to watch it again. The guy was a prick, but that doesn't bother me. I only like horror if I'm not expecting horror, and I wasn't expecting it because it started out with a realistic tone. I like surprise, and I liked that the movie is surprising without feeling gimmicky. As to whether it has something to say? I think it does. For one, it's not hot on the military. But mostly I think it's calling out its own audience. Like "Hey, you think violence is fun? You think gangsters and assassins are cool? No, that poo poo is horrifying." That's why it presents the cultists like the secret society from Eyes Wide Shut except with none of the sterile glamour. The cultists are the film's own audience: a faceless mob, nonparticipating viewers, watching people get killed, getting off on the violence.

My opinion about the movie would be much lower if there were a final scene where everything is spelled out. My interpretation of the movie might be wrong, but I like it, so I like the movie.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I'm in the mood for a really cheesy action movie with unbelievable, but fun, explosions and fights--and preferably from the 90s. Can anyone recommend me anything?

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Bad Boys/Bad Boys II is probably your best bet

Sudden Death is pretty good, too.

The One is a lot fun as well, how can you not enjoy Jet Li beating people down with motorcycles.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Kro-Bar posted:

I'm in the mood for a really cheesy action movie with unbelievable, but fun, explosions and fights--and preferably from the 90s. Can anyone recommend me anything?

Hard Target and Sudden Death. Too bad the king, Hard Boiled, isn't streaming.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Hard Target if only just for the awkward, weird dialogue from Van Damme trying to do a Cajun accent with his Belgian accent.

"Two HON-dred ond sevun-TEEN dull-ars."

It's just so nuts. Everything explodes in that movie. Everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Hard Target if only just for the awkward, weird dialogue from Van Damme trying to do a Cajun accent with his Belgian accent.

"Two HON-dred ond sevun-TEEN dull-ars."

It's just so nuts. Everything explodes in that movie. Everything.

I'll go with Hard Target. I've seen Hard Boiled so many times and love that movie, but for some reason I've never seen John Woo's other hard movie. :p Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

edit: Just got through the credits and WTF, Sam Raimi is an executive producer on this movie? I wonder how that happened.

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 17, 2013

• Locked thread