Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

The main issues (scroll wheel, double clicking) happened just a few weeks ago.

Here in Europe it might be problematic to work directly with Razer, I have to take it to the shop I bought it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

West007 posted:

I prefer to buy a bit more expensive mice, not 100€ but around 50-60€.

I've had 2 Razer copperhead mice for combined ~6 years, I broke the first one and I had the scroll wheel stop working on the other one.

Now I have a Razer Imperator 2012 since July 2012. I've had nothing but problems with this mouse. It is really comfortable to use and I love the precision but the technical side is just horrendous.
Firstly, after 2 months it just stopped working, the computer didn't recognize it, tried other computers as well. It fixed itself after a week and gets recognized just fine now.
Secondly, the scroll wheel feels loose, when I scroll down it scrolls up a bit and then down normally (and vice versa), even scrolls to the opposite direction a bit while I'm scrolling.
And now it has the double clicking problem which infuriates me to no end. Oh, and I have to plug it out at night because the light is on even after the PC shuts down.

I do have the receipt and it still has warranty. Should I just take it back and get it fixed/exchanged? I'm afraid they will just spout the usual "mechanical damage, your fault" crap and I will have just wasted my time.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend has an Imperator, she loved the shape and size and so on, but now it is just unreliable garbage, with the buttons not working properly. She had poor experience with Razer, having a Lycosa keyboard which had the awful capacitive touch section which always caused random things to occur. It was replaced, but only by the retailer, and took ages. Then it had exactly the same problem. I opened the loving thing and tore the connector off the board for it.

She bought a Roccat Kone Pure, which is a very similar size and layout, just in case you were looking at similar sized mice. Says it's excellent.

Edit:
Bonus AnandTech link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6802/capsule-review-roccats-kone-xtd-and-kone-pure-gaming-mice
Extra bonus picture she took of both mice to compare the size/layout. She prefers to grip with pinky and thumb, not by using the palm.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 15, 2013

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

HalloKitty posted:

capacitive touch section which always caused random things to occur.

Like an infinite improbability drive? :D

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Man, I kinda wish Microsoft still made gaming mice; their hardware division is pretty solid and their warranty service is loving ridiculous. (the good kind)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

chippy posted:

Like an infinite improbability drive? :D

If only it was that fascinating!

In reality, it sometimes required unplugging and replugging, changed volume, opened up media player, etc.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I've had a Roccat Arvo keyboard for ~3 years now, haven't had a single problem with it, Roccat does seem reliable, might try their mouse.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have had the Logitech Performance mX for a bit now.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/performance-mouse-mx

This was part of my big plan to have a completely wireless computer experience. I took a big risk, thinking that I would probably end up hating and being disappointed by having to recharge the mouse periodically. But I only have to do that once every 2-3 days at most after heavy use, it seems to take less than an hour, and "charging" it means it's just a wired mouse for that while.

The mouse itself is really good. It alternates between a free scroll wheel and click wheel (I hate free scroll). The mouse not only works on any surface, but I can do things like use it on the seat of my couch without noticing problems. I haven't had any problems gaming with it.

It now goes for about $70 on Amazon.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I'll never use a Razer mouse. I picked up the Deathadder from Fry's and discovered that you need to sign up for an account and aggree Razer's privacy policy just so you can adjust your mouse settings. This is completely absurd, especially after $70 on something that's made mostly out of plastic. Why the hell anyone would need to backup their mouse settings to the cloud is beyond me.

I ended up using this cheap E-blue Cobra mouse found on Amazon that works great, feels good and well priced at 12 bucks. Makes me really wonder where the hell my $70 for the Deathadder...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Mouse settings on a server is extremely useful for net cafes and tournament settings

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TheQat posted:

Mouse settings on a server is extremely useful for net cafes and tournament settings
Alternatively, I'd prefer mouse settings on your mouse.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Etrips posted:

Razer makes you do a few things to test out, but they are generally good about sending replacements. Not Logitech good, but I don't have any complaints with them. Although I do think you have to send yours back in first. Can't remember.

Razer in the UK at least were nothing but terrible, I had the mouse not recognised issue as in the original post and they told me to get another computer because it worked fine on something else.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

TheQat posted:

You're telling me people bring their own mice to net cafes and tournaments? I still think it's dumb to require an internet connection and the creation of an account to modify settings for peripheral device. It's too much.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Kerpal posted:

You're telling me people bring their own mice to net cafes and tournaments?

Yes.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kerpal posted:

You're telling me people bring their own mice to net cafes and tournaments? I still think it's dumb to require an internet connection and the creation of an account to modify settings for peripheral device. It's too much.

Well particularly at tournaments where money is at stake, people want to play with the settings and hardware they're most comfortable with--same way people at fighting game tournaments bring their own controller/stick. At a net cafe it could be the same reason and/or paranoia about germs. Much of Razer's marketing is geared toward that kind of competitive gaming market, and they also sponsor several competitive gaming teams that they provide with mice/keyboards/headsets, so universally available personal settings are pretty pertinent to their customers.

Storing the settings in the device is another option, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside for some reason. I had a Steelseries with that option. It was nice but it's also somewhat important to have visual confirmation that the correct settings are in place, which is something that so far only software can really provide.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which wireless mouse is closest to the Logitech MX518 / G500?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Which wireless mouse is closest to the Logitech MX518 / G500?

Probably the G700

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there another mouse with a ridiculously far thumb button distance from palm like the RAT is capable of? Just wanna be aware of my options

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ragingsheep posted:

Probably the G700

Is that a clicky or smooth scroll wheel?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is that a clicky or smooth scroll wheel?

It has both, switched by clutch.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I have had the Logitech Performance mX for a bit now.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/performance-mouse-mx

This was part of my big plan to have a completely wireless computer experience. I took a big risk, thinking that I would probably end up hating and being disappointed by having to recharge the mouse periodically. But I only have to do that once every 2-3 days at most after heavy use, it seems to take less than an hour, and "charging" it means it's just a wired mouse for that while.

The mouse itself is really good. It alternates between a free scroll wheel and click wheel (I hate free scroll). The mouse not only works on any surface, but I can do things like use it on the seat of my couch without noticing problems. I haven't had any problems gaming with it.

It now goes for about $70 on Amazon.

I'm on my third of these, but not because I buy new ones. Each of the others had to be replaced, the first because the spring under the left button lost resistance and started sending double-clicks instead of single, then the second mouse just started acting erratic. Logitech replaced them easily enough, to their credit, but it has durability issues.

Now it's doing this weird thing where it won't highlight text in Word (but just Word) for some reason. Ugh.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

berzerker posted:

I'm on my third of these, but not because I buy new ones. Each of the others had to be replaced, the first because the spring under the left button lost resistance and started sending double-clicks instead of single, then the second mouse just started acting erratic. Logitech replaced them easily enough, to their credit, but it has durability issues.

Now it's doing this weird thing where it won't highlight text in Word (but just Word) for some reason. Ugh.

I am getting pretty frustrated with this now. This is my fourth Logitech mouse that has died due to the left click sending double/triple/quintuple clicks all the time. The first two I didn't bother with warranty as I didn't know it was 3 years. The third one however I did get warranty on. However they hosed it up, the address they gave me to send it to was incorrect, so I had it sent back to me after like 2 weeks. Tried to get them to sort this issue out. Took around another month or so before they sent me the correct address, then I said gently caress this, I already paid for shipping once and it was to the wrong loving place due to them loving up. After another 2 or 3 weeks they sent me another mouse. It is loving dying again after like 6 months.

This is for Logitech Australia. The last 2 mice were Logitech Performance MX's. Can't remember the two before but they were pretty similar. Older models of the same type of things.

I am not going to buy another logitech mouse again. Been hosed around too much. Are there any other mice out there that have that hyperscroll function, as that is pretty much the only reason I keep buying the logitech's, it is really cool.

I don't mind spending $100, priorities are: hyperscroll, wireless, 2 thumb buttons as well as back/forward, comfort, build quality. I game a bit, but don't really care for all the super l33t LEDs, adjustable DPI, 1000GHz polling rate poo poo.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Does the RAT 7 still have those horrible tracking issues?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Vidaeus, Australian retailers have a legal obligation to provide you with a refund or replacement if a product doesn't last a reasonable amount of time, there is no reason to deal directly with Logitech. The retailer should also be paying any shipping expenses you incur.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

The Lord Bude posted:

Vidaeus, Australian retailers have a legal obligation to provide you with a refund or replacement if a product doesn't last a reasonable amount of time, there is no reason to deal directly with Logitech. The retailer should also be paying any shipping expenses you incur.

Yes, I know that now. It is too late for the other 3 mice that died this way and I don't want a replacement for this one. I don't want any more logitech mice. Anyone have any recommendations?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Vidaeus posted:

Yes, I know that now. It is too late for the other 3 mice that died this way and I don't want a replacement for this one. I don't want any more logitech mice. Anyone have any recommendations?

Not with that hyper scroll requirement.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

Do you need a mouse that does BOTH free scrolling and point to point scrolling? Plenty of non gaming mice don't bother with notches on the scroll wheel, but I'm pretty sure only logitech does the interchangeable stuff, and their hyper fast scrolling is pretty unique.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Ok no worries if Logitech are the only ones that do the hyper scroll than scratch that off the list.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I just got my RAT 7 (the original black/chrome one, not one of the fancy versions).

So far I like it, but it's kinda forcing me to grip the sides of the mouse with thumb and pinky, so my index, middle, and ring fingers lie flat along the top. I realise that's a better way to hold the mouse, but it's taking some getting used to. The extra big pinky grip makes it feel worse, but all the other adjustment stuff is cool as hell. I'm having some issues get all the three thumb buttons to sit where my thumb can actually get to them - if I have the forward/back buttons centered under my thumb, the "sniper" button is hard to get my thumb to, and if I have the sniper button accessible, then the forward/back buttons sit too far back to comfortably reach, even though I have big hands.

In person, the mouse doesn't look quite as super-leet-gamer-hardware as it does in the pictures. In fact, it kinda fits in next to my plain Leopold keyboard and blocky black 90s stereo amp. I guess the flat black texture sort of makes it less obviously weird looking.

Also, I don't seem to be able to make the thumb wheel map to left arrow / right arrow so I can scroll web pages horizontally. It maps either left or right arrow to both direction, and remaps the first one to the second one when I try to change the second one. If that makes sense. If anyone knows how to make it scroll web pages horizontally, can you tell me?

Edit: Worked out the thumb wheel thing, have another question. Should the adjustable palm rest be slightly shaky? It doesn't clip on solidly, there's a small amount of movement which isn't a problem, but it feels a little bit weird since everyone was saying how "solid" the mouse feels in reviews. It's pretty solid when adjusted to the shortest possible length, but moves around more and more as I lengthen the mouse.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 20, 2013

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
So while looking around, I found this thing:
http://www.func.net/en/products/ms-3/

Actually looks really cool. Problem is nowhere in Australia sells it that I can see. Looks like I might have to import it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

AlphaDog posted:

Should the adjustable palm rest be slightly shaky? It doesn't clip on solidly, there's a small amount of movement which isn't a problem, but it feels a little bit weird since everyone was saying how "solid" the mouse feels in reviews. It's pretty solid when adjusted to the shortest possible length, but moves around more and more as I lengthen the mouse.

No way, mine is solid as gently caress

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Vidaeus posted:

Actually looks really cool. Problem is nowhere in Australia sells it that I can see. Looks like I might have to import it.

I would love to hear your thoughts on it if you do, and where you got it from, that mouse looks amazing. 6.5ft is a tad short as far as cables go though. The deathadder is 7ft, 6.5 is only just enough, maybe a tad too short.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Vidaeus posted:

Looks good but the ring + pinky resting place on the right would probably need some serious getting used to.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

signalnoise posted:

No way, mine is solid as gently caress

gently caress, really? I've jammed a thin piece of cardboard in there to make it less shaky and it's mostly worked, but it doesn't look like there's an actual problem, so I figured that's just how they were.

To confirm, the rear palm rest part of your RAT 7 doesn't move around at all even when it's adjusted as far out as it can go? If that's true, then I'm going to try to get a replacement. Mine doesn't move much, but enough that it'd get annoying after a while.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Cool, so I ordered the Func MS-3. Found nowhere online in Australia that sells the thing, so I ordered it from ebay, specifically from here.

$90 + $34 shipping to Australia. Pricey for a mouse, yes, but not hideously so. A little more due to international shipping, but price is about on par with other high end mice. That was the cheapest I could find to Australia. The Func website links to a few webstores that sell it - newegg and a couple others. However one place only quotes shipping after you place an order, and the other one was like $80 + $60 shipping. And of course newegg don't ship internationally, but it is $80 on there.

Will do a review when I get the thing. Meanwhile Benchmark Reviews have done a fairly detailed review on it. Got some good praise on there.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Looks like a quality mouse after reading this, however I use a claw grip and have small hands so this one probably isn't for me. I'm curious to hear your opinion though. I'll give my Imperator a second chance. On my previous mice the double click problem, which is the most annoying always fixed itself.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Vidaeus posted:

I am getting pretty frustrated with this now. This is my fourth Logitech mouse that has died due to the left click sending double/triple/quintuple clicks all the time. The first two I didn't bother with warranty as I didn't know it was 3 years. The third one however I did get warranty on. However they hosed it up, the address they gave me to send it to was incorrect, so I had it sent back to me after like 2 weeks. Tried to get them to sort this issue out. Took around another month or so before they sent me the correct address, then I said gently caress this, I already paid for shipping once and it was to the wrong loving place due to them loving up. After another 2 or 3 weeks they sent me another mouse. It is loving dying again after like 6 months.

This is for Logitech Australia. The last 2 mice were Logitech Performance MX's. Can't remember the two before but they were pretty similar. Older models of the same type of things.

I am not going to buy another logitech mouse again. Been hosed around too much. Are there any other mice out there that have that hyperscroll function, as that is pretty much the only reason I keep buying the logitech's, it is really cool.

I don't mind spending $100, priorities are: hyperscroll, wireless, 2 thumb buttons as well as back/forward, comfort, build quality. I game a bit, but don't really care for all the super l33t LEDs, adjustable DPI, 1000GHz polling rate poo poo.

I'm glad I'm not the only person having this issue. I've also been through like 3 or 4 performance MX mice. I've also had the same issue with the left spring dying and sending multiple clicks. I'm tired of dealing with support for this one and am trying to find another mouse. I'm not AS against Logitech, as every other mouse of theirs I've had has been great, I'm just wondering if it is only the Performance MX having this issue or what.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I actually switched to the RAT 7 I mentioned earlier because of Logitech's support in Australia. My g5 is still working, but looks like it might die soon, and while I don't disbelieve anyone about how great Logitech's support is wherever they might be, my experience of them in Australia has been less than happy.

The retailer has agreed to look at my RAT 7 and replace it if the palm rest shakiness isn't normal. Since it's pretty clearly not normal (or I would see mention of it somewhere on the internet), I think it's going to be fine.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 21, 2013

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
I'm just not a big fan of corded mice, or I'd probably grab the RAT 7 :( As much as I try, the cord just always feels like it drags around and gets in my way.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Vidaeus posted:

Oh man, thanks for posting this. I've been looking for something with a decent pinky rest and modest styling. Was considering the Rat 7 (wow factor but apparent reliability issues) and Sharkoon Drakonia (fit the bill, but...dragon scales), but this looks like it'll work nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

MrMoose posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only person having this issue. I've also been through like 3 or 4 performance MX mice. I've also had the same issue with the left spring dying and sending multiple clicks. I'm tired of dealing with support for this one and am trying to find another mouse. I'm not AS against Logitech, as every other mouse of theirs I've had has been great, I'm just wondering if it is only the Performance MX having this issue or what.

My MX1100 has developed this problem this year after a good long service to me, but after you and Videus I'm scared of the direct upgrade option of the MX Performance now (and I'd also rather a mouse with actual batteries that need to be replaced in a number of months instead of weekly/daily charging)