Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My girlfriend and I really want to do some costumes but we're both pretty novice when it comes to finding materials and figuring out ways to do costumes. I really wanna dress up as Trillbot 4000 from Torchlight but I'm not sure what kinda materials I should look into for armor crafting.

I'd want to be able to construct something lightweight that can be painted to match the game's aesthetic. Ideally I'd like to run some lights through it as well and possibly use a toy drum for the hand and a bellows for the other so I can actually make some noise with the suit. I'd also like a voice changer or something in the head so that I can change my voice to sound more like his, or at least a small fan since his voice sounds like someone talking into a fan anyway. I can dissect the costume down into base parts but I don't know of any good materials for armor other than worbla and worbla doesn't seem like it'd be ideal for the costume.

My girlfriend on the other hand wants to dress as :nws:this:nws: and we've already got an idea for the fabric and the wig and I'm pretty confident I could jimmy together a tail and the weird back spike things, but what's really got us is how the hell to do the weird chest piece. We could do a modified swimsuit pattern for the purple bits but the white bit for the chest is all one piece and we can't think of a solid way for her to do the chest piece without sacrificing support and comfort, and given how revealing the outfit would be I figure support would be super important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I didn't know this thread existed, and now I do I am happy as hell. So many of the photos here are things I have seen and been in awe of on the internet - help me goon savants!

I am trying to make Subject Delta from Bioshock 2 for PAX Australia and I feel like I am completely out of my depth. I started by sourcing some things that I feel I can get away with using as a base and save me some build time:

First I got myself a padded bodysuit:

Then got some longish welding gloves:

Then I sourced some general 'craft' stuff that I will need for the build - some impact foam and general fabric for patches and the like.

For the helmet I am thinking of using Pepakura to basically papercraft the helmets shape, then fibreglass it until it's rigid, and add detail, but beyond that I am now looking at all the stuff I need to get done, and confusing myself. I am thinking of working over the bodysuit with appropriate details while crafting the helmet, so the base can be considered done, then the gloves. I imagine the gloves will be fiddly and I am not entirely sure how to do the fingertip detail yet, but I am open to suggestions.

Thinking I might need to sculpt them out of something and then hot glue attach them, not entirely sure.

...Either way it's a huge task and I regret not doing something smaller scale, but I am a dedicated idiot at this point and will do it if it ruins me.

Don't even ask me how I am doing the drill, that's a topic that scares the hell out of me. The concept of 'making it' seems simple enough - but making it SPIN?
:negative:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

My Big Daddy suit (which has a non-spinning drill) got beaten by a Delta in the craftsmanship part of a contest a few years ago and their drill flew off the mounting right after they got off stage. :laugh: Definitely make sure that poo poo is secure!

Test fit for Nightmare Moon (ignore my red-rear end face, no makeup/fake eyelashes/etc):

It's got a few things that aren't on it right now, namely a chain belt deal and a strap to hold the pauldrons in place better, but otherwise, it's pretty much kind of done. :stare: I'm feeling negative about it right now but I never like my costumes right when I'm finishing them until I wear them around for awhile. Still, glad it's actually done without a mad dash up to Acen!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

McPantserton posted:

My Big Daddy suit (which has a non-spinning drill) got beaten by a Delta in the craftsmanship part of a contest a few years ago and their drill flew off the mounting right after they got off stage. :laugh: Definitely make sure that poo poo is secure!

:gonk: See why I am worried about it!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

McPantserton posted:

Test fit for Nightmare Moon (ignore my red-rear end face, no makeup/fake eyelashes/etc):

It's got a few things that aren't on it right now, namely a chain belt deal and a strap to hold the pauldrons in place better, but otherwise, it's pretty much kind of done. :stare: I'm feeling negative about it right now but I never like my costumes right when I'm finishing them until I wear them around for awhile. Still, glad it's actually done without a mad dash up to Acen!

Despite my distaste for MLP, this is actually a very nice costume. Great job!

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Progress!

Sub-frame visor for the helmet is now hardware complete.

Next up: templates for led bending/soldering, more trimming, sanding, and helmet work! Gotta get that ready for chrome.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Looking good! Are you doing a full LED scroller?

That makes me glad I've decided to do the latest/TRON version for mine - the LED system on the Guy helmet is crazy! Mind you, I can add that in later.

I was thinking about this a little earlier tonight. It would be crazy cool if the LED scroller was programmable via bluetooth or something.. and have an app on my phone to swap/add messages.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!

TwystNeko posted:

Looking good! Are you doing a full LED scroller?

That makes me glad I've decided to do the latest/TRON version for mine - the LED system on the Guy helmet is crazy! Mind you, I can add that in later.

I was thinking about this a little earlier tonight. It would be crazy cool if the LED scroller was programmable via bluetooth or something.. and have an app on my phone to swap/add messages.

It's like you read my mind. I am adding a Bluetooth chip to my arduino and will have that work with an iOS app that should allow for both preset patterns as well as a full dynamic scrolling text system.

...I hope...

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So I think I have the harness figured out, I am still trying to find something more comfortable that elastic but until then elastic will have to do. In other news made some crazy progress last night went through a little over a pound of apoxie sculpt edging the armor. I made an expanding foam base for it all to stick to and to make sure I wasn't just caking tons of apoxie sculpt on there. I am so in love with this stuff.

Also added some to the shoes I really like it a lot better, once I finish everything else I may add some to raise parts of the chest piece as well as the top tier of the boot. Just depends on time and if I have some left. Though I do have a 4lb pack I haven't opened yet.

Once all the apoxie is added and dried I will be taking a nail brush (they work the best on the suede for me) and a little soap and scrubbing out all the powdery areas before I push forward on the painting etc.
I also put in the straps to connect the two parts of the pauldrons. I hate myself for not thinking to add them before the lining, now it looks all gross underneath... I may try and fix that later.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Working on one of these printed spandex suits for a client.

http://www.therpf.com/f13/orhadars-spider-man-symbiote-new-punisher-deapool-patterns-175453/

pretty sweet except that it doesn't come with instructions and there aren't any tutorials available that I can find. Just one gal that has been sewing them that doesn't answer questions. Needless to say it has been a challenge. I have struggled a bit and I'm also not super good at spandex.

I just basted the suit together to get the fit right and make sure I was putting it together correctly. (sorry for the shameful mess of a studio)

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

:gonk: See why I am worried about it!

I don't remember what it was called, but last year, there was a green lantern toy at toys r us (in canada, even) that had a spinning barrel that you could attach a lightweight drill overlay onto maybe?

The actual toy is a handcannon disk shooter, but it spins when you pull the trigger inside where your hand grasps it. It's a mechanical spin, so you would have to pump it in order to keep up a spin, but it might be worth considering if electrical motors aren't a solution.

Best of luck though either way.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

SmithKurosaki posted:

I don't remember what it was called, but last year, there was a green lantern toy at toys r us (in canada, even) that had a spinning barrel that you could attach a lightweight drill overlay onto maybe?

The actual toy is a handcannon disk shooter, but it spins when you pull the trigger inside where your hand grasps it. It's a mechanical spin, so you would have to pump it in order to keep up a spin, but it might be worth considering if electrical motors aren't a solution.

Best of luck though either way.

This sounds perfect. Basically I would love to build it in such a way that is doesn't require power - and generally using a toy mechanism would be perfect.

Then I walked into my local toy store and felt old as heck because all the toys require batteries for everything nowadays, and nothing is mechanically built :argh:

Edit: Is it this sucker? http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-Colossal-Cannon-Blaster/dp/B004H4XLOM/ref=pd_sim_t_2

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 15, 2013

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

This sounds perfect. Basically I would love to build it in such a way that is doesn't require power - and generally using a toy mechanism would be perfect.

Then I walked into my local toy store and felt old as heck because all the toys require batteries for everything nowadays, and nothing is mechanically built :argh:

Edit: Is it this sucker? http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-Colossal-Cannon-Blaster/dp/B004H4XLOM/ref=pd_sim_t_2

That is precisely it. It does take batteries, but as far as I can tell, that's only for the lights and sound, not for the spinning, since it's not continuous, and only triggered by pulling and releasing the trigger.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

SmithKurosaki posted:

That is precisely it. It does take batteries, but as far as I can tell, that's only for the lights and sound, not for the spinning, since it's not continuous, and only triggered by pulling and releasing the trigger.

This is looking better and better. The price, not so much - but where there is a will there is a way. It's basically exactly what I was trying to imagine as far as 'Something I can place my hand INSIDE and operate'.

Just need to source one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Awesome suggestion!

Edit, man look at it spin at the start of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=954F8zJMOjE

Double Edit: Holy poo poo these prices :stare:

Triple Edit: :gonk:

Living in Australia sucks at this point. :smith:

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 15, 2013

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
I made a LED soldering jig. Not the straightest but it SHOULD work *crosses fingers*

I wish I had a drill press with a laser pointer guide, would have made things soooo straight.

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

This is looking better and better. The price, not so much - but where there is a will there is a way. It's basically exactly what I was trying to imagine as far as 'Something I can place my hand INSIDE and operate'.

Edit, man look at it spin at the start of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=954F8zJMOjE

Double Edit: Holy poo poo these prices :stare:

Triple Edit: :gonk:

Living in Australia sucks at this point. :smith:

It may have also stopped production, which is why it's so much. I haven't seen one in a couple months, and I'm in toys r us a decent amount for nerf guns for props

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It seems like you could do this prettily easily with a small battery pack and a little electric motor - is there a reason you don't want to mess with that? If you don't want to do any wiring you could probably just hook something up to a little dremel or even an electric toothbrush. Or an electric egg beater.

Failing that, the mechanical gearing required is not really too complicated (I can imagine a couple options just off the cuff) but it would require the time to put together and either buying or making the parts anyway.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

SmithKurosaki posted:

It may have also stopped production, which is why it's so much. I haven't seen one in a couple months, and I'm in toys r us a decent amount for nerf guns for props

All sources point to it being out of production, yeah.

Ashcans posted:

It seems like you could do this prettily easily with a small battery pack and a little electric motor - is there a reason you don't want to mess with that? If you don't want to do any wiring you could probably just hook something up to a little dremel or even an electric toothbrush. Or an electric egg beater.

Failing that, the mechanical gearing required is not really too complicated (I can imagine a couple options just off the cuff) but it would require the time to put together and either buying or making the parts anyway.

Basically was trying to avoid anything electrical if only to avoid things like dying batteries and having to wire things up - I am accident prone and avoid stuff like that.

The mechanical gearing is something I am trying to imagine myself, because if I can reproduce it that's no issue. Ideally I just want some form of way to have most of the drill mechanism worn over my arm, and be hand operated.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2&pf_rd_i=typ01

That Cannon Blaster is on Amazon for $14 right now. 11 in stock as of this writing.

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.
So as part of a steampunk Inspector gadget halloween/steampunk project, I started building a gadget arm frame that will be strapped to my left arm with a claw or hand attached. Not sure yet.

Since I lack the both the tool and materials, well the space too I tend to recycle what ever cardboard I have laying around for my projects.

As you can see needs painting and there's still plenty of work to go but its turned out better than I hoped so far. I hadn't expected the hinge and the struts to actually work this well.

And yes I made the frame out of old cereal boxes

Agamembar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 17, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Hey guys.. trying to get my GRIFTER coat to look better than it does.. does anyone have any good tips to make it look like I DIDN'T just gain 400 lbs by putting it on?

I swear to god putting on the green coat is like glimpsing into me in the future.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Currently working on my gloves, and so far all is well. Anyone got any recommendations on how to do the fingertips? I was thinking it might be best to sculpt something to glue to the end of my glove fingers, but not really sure what to use.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Currently working on my gloves, and so far all is well. Anyone got any recommendations on how to do the fingertips? I was thinking it might be best to sculpt something to glue to the end of my glove fingers, but not really sure what to use.

Because I am the queen of overkill, I would probably cast them, most likely in latex. For something small and repeated like a fingertip it might actually be worth doing, as you'd only need to sculpt one (or two if the thumb is different) rather than ten.

Latex is strong, flexible and relatively inexpensive, and you can make the master from cheap materials like plasticene and the mold from plaster of paris. Something like a fingertip will only need a tiny little mold and not much latex. You can mix the base colour (probably grey or black) into the actual latex, and the surface silver can be added using acrylic paint mixed about 50:50 with more latex to reduce shipping and wear. It'll need occasional touch ups but generally be pretty drat durable. The only thing to watch for is not touching the bare skin of strangers with them as you could potentially trigger an allery, but if you're feeling up random people latex allergies are the least of your problems. If you're really worried though you can use other materials like silicone, resin or even hot glue (the latter two require a flexible mold)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

Hey guys.. trying to get my GRIFTER coat to look better than it does.. does anyone have any good tips to make it look like I DIDN'T just gain 400 lbs by putting it on?

I swear to god putting on the green coat is like glimpsing into me in the future.

The main problem is that the coat has too much fabric for the space you're using it to fill... IE, it's too big. I know it might fit fine, but for the costume it is too big. Depending on what your skill level is, you can either take in the torso area so it's more form fitting and will stay in the cool open 'action' position, or I've seen a few drawings of the character with a chest harness of pouches that you could make to pull in that extra fabric and not have it add so much bulk to your shape, and hold the jacket open. If you look at most of the drawings, the coat is pulled back far to each side, while on you it hangs over parts of your chest. Even just making the harness thing so that it holds the coat back under your arms will stop it from obscuring your body as much, and make it much more 'slimming'.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

Because I am the queen of overkill, I would probably cast them, most likely in latex. For something small and repeated like a fingertip it might actually be worth doing, as you'd only need to sculpt one (or two if the thumb is different) rather than ten.

Latex is strong, flexible and relatively inexpensive, and you can make the master from cheap materials like plasticene and the mold from plaster of paris. Something like a fingertip will only need a tiny little mold and not much latex. You can mix the base colour (probably grey or black) into the actual latex, and the surface silver can be added using acrylic paint mixed about 50:50 with more latex to reduce shipping and wear. It'll need occasional touch ups but generally be pretty drat durable. The only thing to watch for is not touching the bare skin of strangers with them as you could potentially trigger an allery, but if you're feeling up random people latex allergies are the least of your problems. If you're really worried though you can use other materials like silicone, resin or even hot glue (the latter two require a flexible mold)

Not sure how I would go for resources, but then at the end you mentioned hot glue. So I could possible sculpt a master, make a mold and then ...pour hot glue into the mold?

Edit: For clarification I am really really new to alot of this - I have made props in the past that I was impressed with but I was kind of making sure I was, uh, only punching inside my weight division.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 19, 2013

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Hey look someone finished cutting out giant chunks of plastic and is learning to solder tiny circuit boards!

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Two questions:

I'm working on a Witch King of Angmar helmet right now, and thus far I've got the whole thing done up in cardboard. My plan was to get some Bondo and coat the whole thing in thin layers so it becomes a solid, durable piece, but as far as I can tell Bondo isn't flexible at all. The helmet needs to stretch just a bit while it's on my head to get the bottom half to be in the proper position, so would my best bet be to find a mannequin head to put the helmet on while I coat it? Or will it lose shape as soon as I take it back off? Where do I even buy a mannequin head?

Second question: I'm also interested in doing a piece of chest armor like this: http://thumbsnap.com/s/z8um7VqW.jpg

I want it to be con-friendly, which means no actual metal, correct? I'm just not sure how to do all those segments of leather while keeping the whole thing a bit flexible like it is in the photo. Is it just a leather chest-shaped section with a bunch of smaller leather sections riveted to it? Is there a way to replicate that without making a real-deal replica?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Just got back from ACen and it was a blast!! Fully assembled Nightmare Moon was really well-received and looked a lot better than my test fit what with the makeup and accessories.

I also met Yaya Han, who declared me to be badass and very flatteringly asked to take a picture with me before I had a chance to ask her. D'awww. :blush:

And even better, I won Judges Choice for Master craftsmanship at the masquerade for my Soul Calibur Hilde armor! :woop: I wish my whole group had won but they were all really happy for me and it was nice that at least one of our costumes placed, we were bummed that we didn't at GenCon. Then we met up with another huge SC group, did a loving sweet photoshoot, and got bombed together. Basically a perfect end to a loving awesome weekend.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
That looks great! What sorts of paint did you use to get that blue finish?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks! The armor was primed with black Krylon fusion, then I used a metallic blue Rustoleum spray paint for the blue (normally I really hate Rustoleum paints but for a base color it was fine). Then I shaded the edges with a black acrylic and a brush and clear coated with Krylon gloss coat. The silver is all two tones as well.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cross-posting from the Star Trek thread because I suppose it counts:

Finally figured out the fit of the MP3 player and got it tacked down with hot glue. I ended up using a Coby MP820 since I couldn't really figure out how to get the other one to work without doing too much modding to have access to the buttons.

Lining up the screen with the opening

Accidentally broke the leads to the battery :suicide: And I don't have a soldering iron, so alligator clamps while I wait for one from Amazon.

But that at least led me to figure out how I could use the built-in switch to turn on/off the MP3 player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahLKl89h-rU
And a video of it in action. I don't think I could fit another board in to replace the lights to the left of the screen, so I'm thinking of using some EL wire for it.

And of course I think I broke the ribbon to the digitizer, and may have messed something else up since I can't get it to turn on anymore :suicide: Ordered another one (like $30) and some proper pry tools. I think I'll have more luck this time around since I know how it's put together. Any tips on how to get a (tiny) speaker wired to the headphone jack? I'd do it internally, but the headphone jack is flush with the USB port, and I want to keep that port open to be able to connect to USB to put more graphics on there without disassembly.

Bonus: Doctor Who outfit coming together as well:

I'll get better pictures of it plus my finished Homestuck costume later today.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 20, 2013

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Getting motivated this past weekend was just difficult probably because I am pretty much down to hand stitching and sanding. Once I get through with that it's all painting and sealing but man I am just not a fan of sanding, it's such a pain, especially sense it's almost all super fine detailing that I am having to sand.

But I am almost done with Felicita, so that is helpful. I am really happy with how the skirt came out. All that is left is the weapons which are almost ready to paint and to finish the jacket alterations and make the thigh strap and the corset.

Sylvanas is coming together, but the dress form I made and never got the oportunity to reinforce is starting to fall apart and the thigh guards are still to big. I am going to have to crack them again and resize them, this time I am going to just wear them or something in hopes that they dry the correct size.

I may add some clay to the top but it will have to be after Akon there is just no time for it now.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Daaang McPantserton, everything you do is so cool. :swoon:

In other news, my JoJo's Bizarre Adventure cosplays are nearly done. My Lucy Steel is complete except for the wig, which my friend will be cutting and styling for me. Erina is also almost complete, just needs some final touches on the over dress. I don't have any photos of Erina, but here's what I have for Lucy:

The rain jacket. I took some creative liberties with it, but JoJo designs are notoriously physically unlikely.

(Apologies for the bad phone photo) This is what most of the outfit looked like before the application of pom-poms and arm warmers, which I made the other day:

I'm getting tons of help with the Erina costume, so it's going to look super way better than this. On the other hand, I did this costume pretty much all by myself so I'm very proud of it. Both outfits will premiere at Fanime this weekend.

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Hey cosplay peeps, I'm kind of a scrub when it comes to complicated props, and was wondering what the simplest, cheapest solution would be for getting Travis Touchdown's beam katana from No More Heroes. The actual assembly is pretty simple and fun looking, but actually getting it to light up is where I'm not so sure, I've never messed with electrical stuff for a costume before.

Picturrrrrre:

P.S. I blew through this thread in the past 24 hours and loving christ the stuff you people produce is amazing.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Ruin Completely posted:

Hey cosplay peeps, I'm kind of a scrub when it comes to complicated props, and was wondering what the simplest, cheapest solution would be for getting Travis Touchdown's beam katana from No More Heroes. The actual assembly is pretty simple and fun looking, but actually getting it to light up is where I'm not so sure, I've never messed with electrical stuff for a costume before.

Picturrrrrre:

P.S. I blew through this thread in the past 24 hours and loving christ the stuff you people produce is amazing.

I would buy a $120 FX lightsaber and modify it.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Red Robin Hood posted:

I would buy a $120 FX lightsaber and modify it.

You don't even need to buy the expensive one now. They're using that same blade in a cheaper model now.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12426395

I'm pretty sure its got the plastic handle of the really cheap ones and the blade of the expensive one. If you're going to have to modify it why spend that much on something you're going to destroy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Getting motivated this past weekend was just difficult probably because I am pretty much down to hand stitching and sanding. Once I get through with that it's all painting and sealing but man I am just not a fan of sanding, it's such a pain, especially sense it's almost all super fine detailing that I am having to sand.

But I am almost done with Felicita, so that is helpful. I am really happy with how the skirt came out. All that is left is the weapons which are almost ready to paint and to finish the jacket alterations and make the thigh strap and the corset.

Sylvanas is coming together, but the dress form I made and never got the oportunity to reinforce is starting to fall apart and the thigh guards are still to big. I am going to have to crack them again and resize them, this time I am going to just wear them or something in hopes that they dry the correct size.

I may add some clay to the top but it will have to be after Akon there is just no time for it now.

In the small chance that this is helpful to someone... I own a none adjustable dress form used by a 5ft tall lady with 34c24 36 who weighed 110. Shipping would kill but if you live in the Bay Area CA pm if interested or gmail at azutler.

SunSickOkra
Jul 3, 2007

Honey Badger posted:

I'm working on a Witch King of Angmar helmet right now, and thus far I've got the whole thing done up in cardboard. My plan was to get some Bondo and coat the whole thing in thin layers so it becomes a solid, durable piece, but as far as I can tell Bondo isn't flexible at all. The helmet needs to stretch just a bit while it's on my head to get the bottom half to be in the proper position, so would my best bet be to find a mannequin head to put the helmet on while I coat it? Or will it lose shape as soon as I take it back off? Where do I even buy a mannequin head?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "stretch to get the bottom in position." Like, every time you put the helmet on it needs to stretch? Or just stretch once while you harden the piece to keep the shape? Either way, I don't think Bondo is what you want to depend on to make your cardboard solid. I have a WIP witch king helmet (made out of card stock) and ran into a similar problem with shaping since it's such an unwieldy piece.

To keep the integrity of the shape of the crown I took measurements of my head and made a cross with two pieces of cardboard to stick where my head goes (the kind where you cut slits halfway down the middle and stick them together) and then coated the entire thing with fiberglass resin. Once it soaks in and dries, it becomes fairly rigid (enough to keep the shape). I then went back through and reinforced it with fiberglass cloth, and will eventually cover it with bondo to get the desired finish. It should work just as well on cardboard. The problem with skipping the fiberglass step is that bondo is kind of brittle, so if your helmet bends there is a possibility that it will crack.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
What do you guys think would be a good starting point for a Booker? Obviously I'd need pinstriped slacks, I already have some dress shoes. I've never done it before, so failing that, I might go to Pax 13 as a Vox Pop I already have a jacket similar to one of the ones they wear and some ammo pouches. I am supremely frustrated at their weapon prop rules, though. No-tolerance (pretty much) policies are always the worst. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

What do you guys think would be a good starting point for a Booker? Obviously I'd need pinstriped slacks, I already have some dress shoes. I've never done it before, so failing that, I might go to Pax 13 as a Vox Pop I already have a jacket similar to one of the ones they wear and some ammo pouches. I am supremely frustrated at their weapon prop rules, though. No-tolerance (pretty much) policies are always the worst. :argh:

Could you make papermache bananas with grips for guns and little pineapples for grenades? Loaf of fruitcake could stand in for plastic explosives.