Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Clearly, this whole issue could have been cleared up by hiring Yaphet Kotto to play Depp's role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Wubbles posted:

No, dude, it's totally cool - I'm a 1/64th Cherokee.

I'm pretty sure getting a white man to play a Native American stereotype on the grounds that "he's got some Indian blood in him" is pretty racist.

Isn't he like 1/4 or something though? He's certainly a shitload more than 1/64.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

WickedIcon posted:

Isn't he like 1/4 or something though? He's certainly a shitload more than 1/64.

Well, he guesses,

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/w0012381.html posted:

He tells EW.com, "I guess I have some Native American (in me) somewhere down the line. My great grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek."

But Depp fears his ancestry may have stemmed from a tragic tale, adding, "The interesting thing, if you find out you've got Native American blood, which a lot of people do, is you think about where it comes from and go back and read the great books (on the subject)... you have to think, somewhere along the line, 'I'm the product of some horrific rape'. You just have that little sliver in your chemical make-up."

Deep.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

WickedIcon posted:

Per the innernette, Depp claims that his great-grandmother was a legit Cherokee indian. It doesn't say anything about his other relatives, however.

E: f,b

Wubbles
Oct 30, 2011
At any rate, they could get an actual Native American to play the role and it would still be racist.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Disney went to a great deal of work showing the film to Cherokee tribes and ensuring they approved it as NOT RACIST.

I think if you reach the point where you have to reassure everyone that you showed it to real native americans and they said no it totally wasn't racist you guys, its time for a re-think.

I watched the most recent trailer and at least Depp isn't speaking in broken english anymore! I mean he's still a white guy playing a magical ethnic stereotype but still.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If the Cherokee who watched the movie were fine with it, I wonder if the movie will have that Green Hornet thing going on where Tonto ends up being the super awesome Native guy who does all the cool stuff who the Ranger have to depend on to get things done.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So it was like Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder?

It didn't bother me when Will Smith played Jim West in Wild, Wild, West. It might have been the only thing not wrong with the movie (aside from Selma Hayek in nice dresses). It didn't bother me when Idris Elba played Heimdall in Thor, who in Norse mythology was never portrayed as black. I really wanted Donald Glover to win the role of Peter Parker in the Amazing Spider-Man because it would have felt refreshing. As I said, it's movies. It sucks when white people get pretty much every role and when scripts are written specifically for white people to play in them. A lot of times that is due to racial preference (which is wrong) but it's also sometimes simply what was written. That said, if a character is meant to be Aboriginal that doesn't mean you have to have an Aboriginal actor. I mean, do you really want Adam Beach playing Tonto?

So the design of Tonto is stupid. It's stupid and goes overboard but don't consider it racist. I consider it stupid for a stupid Disney movie. The point about brown paint on his face really doesn't fit here. Especially since Disney showed the movie to Navajo Aboriginals and they didn't tell Disney to stick it.

Casting Depp is boring and regardless of whether he has Cherokee in him or not, it's simply a dull Hollywood decision. I don't consider it inherently racist. Because not everything is racist. Sometimes it's just boring.

Are you really this loving dense?

You couldn't have picked a worse example than RDJ in Tropic Thunder considering that his whole character was about why it's stupid and offensive to do the thing that you're saying is OK. This isn't about characters being played by people of different races than whatever race the character is traditionally portrayed as. It's about a person literally painting their face and unironically playing the character as a horrible stereotype that is rooted in centuries of bigotry and outright hatred. And the fact that they had to show it to some Cherokee tribe members doesn't actually mean it's fine. It instantly acknowledges that the portrayal is a troubling one that raises issues. And on top of that just because a bunch of guys in one room weren't all that offended doesn't instantly make it acceptable.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 15, 2013

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure this has come up before but since the topic is being discussed again, I don't think they just stuck a random bird on Johnny Depp's head.

http://www.manataka.org/page1027.html

Probably a terrible link but first I could quickly google and hopefully a starting point if you want to read more about it.

edited in a better link.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
The most offensive thing about this movie is that they called it The Lone Ranger but clearly the Lone Ranger himself is taking a back seat to Depp. Just cut the poo poo and call it Tonto.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ez posted:

The most offensive thing about this movie is that they called it The Lone Ranger but clearly the Lone Ranger himself is taking a back seat to Depp. Just cut the poo poo and call it Tonto.

"Come, lets away my native chum! Hi-yo, Silvver!!"

"Stupid loving white man"

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

mind the walrus posted:

Not that it makes it any better but it is obvious by the teaser that he's mimicking the speech patterns of the old Lone Ranger TV show which also seems pretty racist.

I guess it's neither here nor there since it hasn't aged very well, but the Lone Ranger series was one of the most progressive programs on TV and radio in its era. From Wikipedia:

quote:

In every incarnation of the character to date, the Lone Ranger conducts himself by a strict moral code put in place by Striker at the inception of the character. Actors Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels both took their positions as role models to children very seriously and tried their best to live by this creed. It reads as follows:

I believe...
that to have a friend, a man must be one.
that all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.
that God put the firewood there, but that every man must gather and light it himself.
in being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.
that a man should make the most of what equipment he has.
that 'this government of the people, by the people, and for the people' shall live always.
that men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.
that sooner or later...somewhere...somehow...we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.
that all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever.
in my Creator, my country, my fellow man.

In addition, Fran Striker and George W. Trendle drew up the following guidelines that embody who and what the Lone Ranger is:

The Lone Ranger is never seen without his mask or a disguise.

With emphasis on logic, The Lone Ranger is never captured or held for any length of time by lawmen, avoiding his being unmasked.

The Lone Ranger always uses perfect grammar and precise speech completely devoid of slang and colloquial phrases, at all times.

When he has to use guns, The Lone Ranger never shoots to kill, but rather only to disarm his opponent as painlessly as possible.

Logically, too, The Lone Ranger never wins against hopeless odds; i.e., he is never seen escaping from a barrage of bullets merely by riding into the horizon.

Even though The Lone Ranger offers his aid to individuals or small groups, the ultimate objective of his story never fails to imply that their benefit is only a by-product of a greater achievement—the development of the west or our country. His adversaries are usually groups whose power is such that large areas are at stake.

Adversaries are never other than American to avoid criticism from minority groups. There were exceptions to this rule. He sometimes battled foreign agents, though their nation of origin was generally not named. One exception was helping the Mexican Juarez against French troops of Emperor Maximilian, as occurred in radio episodes such as "Supplies for Juarez" (18 September 1939), "Hunted by Legionnaires" (20 September 1939) and "Lafitte's Reinforcements" (22 September 1939).

Names of unsympathetic characters are carefully chosen, never consisting of two names if it can be avoided, to avoid even further vicarious association—more often than not, a single nickname is selected.

The Lone Ranger never drinks or smokes, and saloon scenes are usually interpreted as cafes, with waiters and food instead of bartenders and liquor.

Criminals are never shown in enviable positions of wealth or power, and they never appear as successful or glamorous.

Reid decides to use only silver bullets, to remind himself that life, too, is precious and, like his silver bullets, not to be wasted or thrown away.

It has been suggested the character was based on Bass Reeves, possibly the first black man to receive a commission as Deputy U.S. Marshal west of the Mississippi River.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

If you can't see anything wrong with Johnny Depp playing the role of a native american, I would like to know your opinion of Mickey Rooney on Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I also found it odd that Tonto's name in spanish is "Dumb". That's why on the spanish translations his name is Toro.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Vincent posted:

I also found it odd that Tonto's name in spanish is "Dumb". That's why on the spanish translations his name is Toro.

Yeah,it makes me feel uncomfortable that they named the Native American "sidekick" with that sort of word. And even more that they didn't decide to at least change it a little.

A poster comparition so we don't derail too much:

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

CPL593H posted:

And on top of that just because a bunch of guys in one room weren't all that offended doesn't instantly make it acceptable.

Completely unsubstantiated, but according to my Westerns prof, most Native groups (allegedly), in regards to the Lone Ranger, say they're just happy to be portrayed prominently and positively at all. Approval is not exactly a ringing endorsement because there isn't exactly a high bar for Hollywood to clear.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I kinda like the remake's poster, but it still doesn't compare to the vampire face from the original one.

Actually, the remake's poster reminds me a bit of No Country For Old Men, except more saturated.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MikeJF posted:

None of these bother me, but oddly, (Star Trek Into Darkness spoiler) Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan after Ricardo Montalbán does bother me. I suppose because ostensibly due to the premise of how the new films relate to the old he's a recast of the same Khan Montalbán played rather than a reboot.

Am I missing something here? He's playing an entirely different character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Am I missing something here? He's playing an entirely different character.

Into Darkness spoilers: Nope, same character. Both Khan, frozen back after the Eugenics wars, well before the split in the timeline between JJTrek and TOS.

In Into Darkness he's been awoken earlier than he was in TOS because of a Starfleet Section 31 (black ops) deep space operation to explore and find potential new weapons after Vulcan was destroyed.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 15, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jefferoo posted:

For Into Darkness, while not perfect, they changed the story around enough to make Cumberbatch's Khan represent something that makes his casting work thematically, that it arguably would have been more problematic to cast a non-white actor. Khan is a fascist, warmongering foil to Kirk's bravado and thirst for exploration, and is ultimately defeated by Spock and Uhura.

Hey hey, unmarked spoiler. Better edit.

That said I agree. There are also two more reasons why I don't mind Cumberbatch as Khan so much - one is that specifically casting an Indian as the villain in a Star Trek film may have made the twist easier to figure out, and another is that Cumberbatch's performance is loving brilliant. Still wouldn't have minded a line or two about his appearance having been altered though.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jefferoo posted:

No, if he plays it not like a minstrel show, it's even more valid. Because then it's even more insulting they didn't cast a non-white actor, and somehow could only trust an established white actor with it.

Your concerns are perfectly valid, and I felt the same way for a while, but it looks like Johnny's aware of these issues and is going for a respectful portrayal of Tonto: http://filmtrailers.net/2013/03/johnny-depp

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Jefferoo posted:

GIANT loving UNTAGGED STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS SPOILER

Thanks for ruining that on release day, you son of a bitch.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 15, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I wished I never hovered over that now. Jesus gently caress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is it too late to rewrite the movie so Tonto actually is a white guy pretending to be Native? I would watch that.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Desperado Bones posted:

A poster comparition so we don't derail too much:

It's too late for that, but: Everything about the original poster is better in every way, except the dual taglines. That's never necessary. I like that the logo is more prominent in the remake, but the fact that it's just in a black rectangle tacked onto the bottom of an image is super loving lazy.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I love me some Mockbusters

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Canned Panda posted:

Oh, wait, the aliens got mechs as well?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Canned Panda posted:

The title doesn't even make SENSE because there's no such thing as the Atlantic Rim.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
ATLANTIC R.I.M.: REALLY IMPRESSIVE MONSTERS

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Atlantic R.I.M.: Should have bought Androids

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

It's too late for that, but: Everything about the original poster is better in every way, except the dual taglines. That's never necessary. I like that the logo is more prominent in the remake, but the fact that it's just in a black rectangle tacked onto the bottom of an image is super loving lazy.

Yeah so it's a good representation of the movie then.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Shoehead posted:

Yeah so it's a good representation of the movie then.

I haven't seen either of them, but I assume so.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Canned Panda posted:

Did they just render half the robot and mirror it over?

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Did they just render half the robot and mirror it over?

Come on, this is (I presume) Asylum Films. They will cut literally every corner so they can pump out their lovely movies to sell to confused moms at Walmart who think they're getting the real deal.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Come on, this is (I presume) Asylum Films. They will cut literally every corner so they can pump out their lovely movies to sell to confused moms at Walmart who think they're getting the real deal.

Hey, I bought Almighty Thor completely aware of what I was getting into and I got more than my :10bux: worth of unintentional comedy.

Ez fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 15, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which one plays Thor?

The credits would seem to indicate Patricia Velasquez does.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Which one plays Thor?

None of the people listed on the poster.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ez posted:

Hey, I bought Almighty Thor completely aware of what I was getting into and I got more than my :10bux: worth of unintentional comedy.

Okay, yeah, I did watch most of this gem when it was on Netflix Instant.

Thinking about it, I enjoyed it more than the actual Transformers 2, so I guess that's a point for you, Asylum!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

The Asylum films are way too self-aware to be funny anymore. That said, I am looking forward to seeing their Avengers knockoff

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Okay, yeah, I did watch most of this gem when it was on Netflix Instant.

Thinking about it, I enjoyed it more than the actual Transformers 2, so I guess that's a point for you, Asylum!

Oh Bruce Boxleitner, no :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Aatrek posted:

Oh Bruce Boxleitner, no :smith:

At least he's still getting work. Do you want him to subsist on cameo roles and uncredited commercial appearances?