Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

Veins McGee posted:

First Command?

I get calls from friends of friends all the time about switching my banking or insurance or any loans or credit cards over to their company. They're some persistent motherfuckers.

That would be them! The manager folks I met with were skeezy as hell. I went in for an interview and before I talked to the manager some dude was raving at me about how he made 50k in his first month at First Command!!! I'm pretty sure he wasn't just randomly hanging out and talking to potential new "hires".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Captain Amerikkka posted:

That would be them! The manager folks I met with were skeezy as hell. I went in for an interview and before I talked to the manager some dude was raving at me about how he made 50k in his first month at First Command!!! I'm pretty sure he wasn't just randomly hanging out and talking to potential new "hires".

I dated a girl whose parents were regional managers or something at First Command. They were former AF missile officers or something like that. They seemed to be doing pretty well for themselves but they aren't the low level dudes hustling in the field.

Every job that has base+commission or straight commission is going to have a dude at job interviews who talks about how much money he makes.

vains fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 13, 2013

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013
There's always money to be made in those types of industries for sure. It's like real estate, if you're the guy that has all the connections and a good reputation you can have a bunch of people work for you and just take cuts of their commission. gently caress that though, gimme some health insurance.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
On a piece of aerospace ground equipment, I believe the dash 60 power cart, the tow bar is spring-loaded for whatever reason. I'm not very familiar with it but I do know it has a big red warning on it that very well might say, "Fuckface, do not put your head anywhere near here because the tow bar will never let you forget your idiocy."

Well a rather dumb MX girl failed to heed this warning. So on this fateful day someone had asked her to go wrap up the long power cable that ran to the jet. Whatever the hell happened, she caught a large steel bar to the face. The hit was so devastating that, me on the jet, looked over after she had been pulled to the shade for treatment thought the large puddle of blood was actually a fluid leak from the cart. I radio'ed down to the crew chief wondering if the cart poo poo the bed after they unplugged us and the dude was like, "Nah man that loving retard Jessica took a tow bar right to the face."

I was flying with our deployed squadron DO that day and his response was like, "We have a takeoff time to make. Call for engine start. She'll be fine." Dude was cold-blooded.

bloops fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 15, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

On a piece of aerospace ground equipment, I believe the dash 60 power cart, the tow bar is spring-loaded for whatever reason. I'm not very familiar with it but I do know it has a big red warning on it that very well might say, "Fuckface, do not put your head anywhere near here because the tow bar will never let you forget your idiocy."

Well a rather dumb MX girl failed to heed this warning. So on this fateful day someone had asked her to go wrap up the long power cable that ran to the jet. Whatever the hell happened, she caught a large steel bar to the face. The hit was so devastating that, me on the jet, looked over after she had been pulled to the shade for treatment thought the large puddle of blood was actually a fluid leak from the cart. I radio'ed down to the crew chief wondering if the cart poo poo the bed after they unplugged us and the dude was like, "Nah man that loving retard Jessica took a tow bar right to the face."

I was flying with our deployed squadron DO that day and his response was like, "We have a takeoff time to make. Call for engine start. She'll be fine." Dude was cold-blooded.

Dash 60 isn't the only one, a fair amount of pieces of AGE and MMHE have them...the general reasoning is twofold: it keeps them from being on the ground and in the way, and on the larger pieces of equipment (not the Dash 60, think a Hobart or some of the larger munitions trailers) the towbar is so heavy that lifting it up by yourself without some sort of mechanical assistance can be a pain in the rear end.

But it's not like they're hair trigger spring loaded just waiting to smack you in the face if you look at them wrong (although the Dash 60's is a little springier than most of the others), you have to be pretty goddamned stupid to get smacked with one. Also the Dash 60's isn't even at face level, so I don't want to know the thought process that got her putting her face down at the level where it could get hit.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

iyaayas01 posted:

Dash 60 isn't the only one, a fair amount of pieces of AGE and MMHE have them...the general reasoning is twofold: it keeps them from being on the ground and in the way, and on the larger pieces of equipment (not the Dash 60, think a Hobart or some of the larger munitions trailers) the towbar is so heavy that lifting it up by yourself without some sort of mechanical assistance can be a pain in the rear end.

But it's not like they're hair trigger spring loaded just waiting to smack you in the face if you look at them wrong (although the Dash 60's is a little springier than most of the others), you have to be pretty goddamned stupid to get smacked with one. Also the Dash 60's isn't even at face level, so I don't want to know the thought process that got her putting her face down at the level where it could get hit.

Every ammo/pod trailer I ever used had a manual lift bar, as do our Hobarts. The only equipment I've ever used with a spring-loaded bar is the Dash 60.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I dunno man. All I do know is that she was incredibly stupid. Like don't even try to cut her some slack, she was legit Dumb. Wish I saw the hit. The guys who saw it made it sound like they witnessed a star being born by how amazing it was.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ikarus posted:

Every ammo/pod trailer I ever used had a manual lift bar, as do our Hobarts. The only equipment I've ever used with a spring-loaded bar is the Dash 60.

You're right, the only one that's truly spring loaded is a Dash 60, the other ones (larger ammo trailers like the -110 and -226) are more like "spring assisted," where you would have to be a special kind of dumbass to get smacked in the face (lift it up part of the way and then put your face right next to the towbar as the spring moves it up the rest of the way.) I could've sworn Hobarts were that way too but I haven't had to handle those too often so I'm probably wrong there.

For contribution, I once witnessed a Polish guy almost get crushed. They were up for a RF-A last summer and we were helping them unload their C-130...one of my guys was in the AT, they were shoving ISUs out the back of the -130 onto the forks of the AT. This was not a gentle process, they just got the ISUs sliding along and then let them slam into the forks. Well this one Polish dude apparently gets the idea that letting the ISUs slam into the forks would be bad for some reason, so as the ISU is sliding from the aircraft onto the forks he jumps up onto the forks and starts to try to push back against the (fully loaded) ISU. He quickly realizes this is a bad idea and jumps back down, but for a split second his head and the better part of his torso were located squarely between the ISU and the forks.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
In that vein, one of our local laborers got buried the other day (he's fine aside from a scare) by trash from the ghetto dump jingle truck. Aside, this truck is so loving ghetto they raise the bed with a combination of jacks and a winch system at the trash pit, and it's held on at the back with ratchet straps. So apparently as the bed is going up this guy gets the bright idea to start pulling trash out of the back with a shovel, and got buried under a few days worth of trash.

I really wish they weren't so anal about pictures on the HLZ, because so many amazing things happen at the burn/trash pit. Half-empty fuel blivets, spent Optima batteries, and a huge cache of confiscated marijuana are some of the things I've seen getting burned.

edit
One more quick one about the trash truck guys. They have a tendency to back the truck up into the most important thing they possibly could. This has included our raid tower and multiple guide wires for it, the mast with our WAN link, probably every perimeter tower, and somefuckinghow they domino'd over a bunker. The tension on our raid tower guide wires is such that it's a 2-man ratchet, so the only explanation for this is the driver felt the resistance, said to himself "gently caress it, probably nothing important", and gunned it.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 15, 2013

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm not AF, so I had to google what a dash 60 was. Hopefully this image is one, since every other result was either 1960s automobile dashboards, Smith & Wesson revolvers, or loving MLP.

Anyway, show me on the doll picture where this spring-loaded idiot trap is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I believe it's the big steel bar on the right that's pointing upwards.

Was it a Tinker guy? Right away I thought I knew who it was, but he was the deployed DO when I was at the CAOC a year later, so not the douche I thought it was.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

That's hilarious because I saw a few people almost get conked by that tow bar on the dash 60. It's weird that AGE is some if the most dangerous stuff on the flight like. We had to dash to save a FNG from hooking up the wrong side of a nitrogen cart more than a few times.

I also have fond memories of the dash 60 at Kadena that you had to rock back and forth to get started. Weird how the red X in its forms kept disappearing.

As an aside is there a "true tales for the flight line" thread in GiP? I'm feeling nostalgic and would love to read/share a few tales.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

As an aside is there a "true tales for the flight line" thread in GiP? I'm feeling nostalgic and would love to read/share a few tales.

As long as you can fill it with enough content to make it interesting, go make one.

And keep the loving AF-lingo at a minimum so other people can follow along!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I wouldn't have much for that. Most of my stories have been told in other threads.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'll gin up an OP and see if its got legs.

Unless I get drunk and decide to play video games instead.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'll gin up an OP and see if its got legs.

Unless I get drunk and decide to play video games instead.

OP better have that sick story about stopping a fueler with a chock block while drunk. That was pro as gently caress.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

We had to dash to save a FNG from hooking up the wrong side of a nitrogen cart more than a few times.

:stare:

For those of you that don't grasp the significance of this, nitrogen carts have two outputs, high and low. If you hook up the high side thinking it is low pressure, bad things can happen...especially when you are being extremely dumb and hot shotting a tire with no cage or regulator. Bad things like the tire blows apart instantaneously and removes most of your torso from the rest of your body rather violently.

Also if you make that thread it better have a story about a tool kit getting loose in a test cell, rolling into the exhaust, and sending tools flying all over the base, also someone taking a poo poo in the exhaust stack of a Dash 60.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Anyone who has a tire cage and doesn't use one is a loving idiot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I don't think we had those on fighter at least not F-15s we did however service tires from six(?) feet away and out of the line of fire so to speak.

AGE was weird. It was just machines that you use to work on the jet but it was like some kind of black magic to people. I blame an overemphasis on "if you even think of using this wrong it'll blow your torso off" style training rather than this is how you use it correctly.

All I know it was annoying being one of the very few junior enlisted who wasn't terrified of touching a hydraulic test stand. Not that NCO's were keen on training anyone because any minor mistake it's LOR's for everyone! (I feel like the 18AMXS circa 2008-2010 could fill up its own idiot thread)

It seems like there's at least some stories floating around GiP (lol at that test stand story) to populate a thread. I'll throw something together.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 16, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

iyaayas01 posted:

Also if you make that thread it better have a story about a tool kit getting loose in a test cell, rolling into the exhaust, and sending tools flying all over the base, also someone taking a poo poo in the exhaust stack of a Dash 60.

I have a story about the cover on the top of a rotor data package (about a 1.5' diameter aluminum disc) not being bolted on prior to flight and then being discovered in the middle of a car in a grocery store parking lot.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Godholio posted:

When I first worked in the motor pool I had no idea what a tire cage was. I saw one and asked the E5 who was babysitting me. He said he'll show me and took me into the maintenance bay, where I watched a video of a guy being blown apart by a split rim wheel.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Phanatic posted:

I have a story about the cover on the top of a rotor data package (about a 1.5' diameter aluminum disc) not being bolted on prior to flight and then being discovered in the middle of a car in a grocery store parking lot.

Dropped objects are fun!

And yeah, AFAIK you don't use a tire cage for on-aircraft servicing, but you're supposed to stand a distance away and out of the frag zone like Nostalgia4Infinity said...the guy I'm thinking of was basically hunched over the tire hot shotting it, so when it blew up he was like less than a foot away. Which is why his torso took the brunt of however many thousands PSI of pressure the high side of a nitrogen cart puts out.

I included the tire cage bit because I've also heard stories of people doing off-equipment poo poo without a tire cage which is loving retarded.

polpot saved asia
Aug 28, 2011
I am in a ASB in the maintenance platoon and i have no idea what you guys are talking about.(seriously i have no idea why i am not in avionics)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlJJqHFfoQ

Tires exploding can be crazy.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I remember when I was a brand new guy at my first base overseas we needed a tire off of a 6K forklift and I guess none of the people on that crew had dealt with a split rim before.

So all the bolts were off except two. One of them failed and flew off at probably just under the speed of sound right past all of us and arced into the jungle or maybe even the ocean behind us. One bolt remained holding two split rims and whatever remained of the 125 psi of air pressure.

After working with split rims quite successfully years later in my career I still think about how loving pants on head retarded that whole operation was.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I remember when I was a brand new guy at my first base overseas we needed a tire off of a 6K forklift and I guess none of the people on that crew had dealt with a split rim before.

So all the bolts were off except two. One of them failed and flew off at probably just under the speed of sound right past all of us and arced into the jungle or maybe even the ocean behind us. One bolt remained holding two split rims and whatever remained of the 125 psi of air pressure.

After working with split rims quite successfully years later in my career I still think about how loving pants on head retarded that whole operation was.

:stare: Holy gently caress, dude.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

AWO DISCUSSING AGE

:psypop:

FYI some fighters (at least F-16's) don't have tire cages for on-aircraft tire servicing

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ikarus posted:

AWO DISCUSSING AGE

:psypop:

FYI some fighters (at least F-16's) don't have tire cages for on-aircraft tire servicing

A-not an AWO
B-I work on cars, and the same problems can happen there...that's actually where I learned about them.

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

So, a little background info. In the Norwegian army we use a small pressurized stove to heat our tents in the winter (-40°F isn't much fun without some sort of heating inside). The stove in question is this charming little bastard:
It is called the Primus Optimus and they are somewhat finicky and tend to malfunction in the strangest ways if you're not experienced with them. One time there was an unlucky NCO student who somehow managed to get the little fucker to shoot flames out of the pressurized fuel container, adjustment wheel and just about every possible hole except the one that is supposed to be burning.

But the main idiot of this story is the recruit who asked his squad leader in all seriousness if he was supposed to shout, at the top of his lungs, 'MISFIRE!' if the thing ever stopped burning throughout the night.

I can only imagine the face of said sergeant, being woken up during the precious few hours of sleep we usually get each night in the field, by pvt. Dumbass manhandling the stove and hollering 'misfire, misfire!' just to alert everyone in the vicinity that our Optimus Primus had stopped burning.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Haha, what did he say in norwegian?

Those primuses were great, that burning sound was fantastic for falling asleep. Even if I was afraid of stretching my legs too much while in my sleeping bag and catching fire. Funny thing is that everyone woke a bit when the primus stopped for refilling, the tents get cold fast!

As for idiots:
My platoon had been assigned the job of cleaning a exercize area for one week. It was a large area that's used for shooting everything from rifles to artillery. The whole platoon walks in a big line, picking up trash. If we found something we didn't know, the bomb experts came and picked it up or marked it for detonation. Mostly it's just unexploded 12.7 bullets, mortar tails and mortar flare parachutes. But then private Notsobright finds a curios looking mortar tail with the rest of the 80 mm mortar still attached and unexploded. So he does the only logical thing to check if it's dangerous and starts kicking it! Everyone around him goes :stonk: and tells him to stop, bomb guy calls him an idiot. When we get some kilometers away they detonate the mortar.
That's the closest I've been to blowing up.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Funfact about the primus (Hiker-111 :colbert:): That shiny metal bit behind the brass fuel tank is a heat shield to prevent the fuel tank being overheated and venting hot kerosene fumes everywhere next to an open flame.

Also, all the seals are plain rubber O-rings, and we all know how much rubber O-rings love cold...

Our idiot fell asleep on firewatch and the flame went out becuse of soot fouling up the fuel nozzle while there was still pressure on the fuel tank, so the fumes kept coming. The whole tent woke up to a freezing tent with the worst splitting headaches of all time and EVERYTHING stinking kerosene.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I never had a problem with our seals in the cold. Some models have the pump seal made of leather and the nozzle seal is lead. Just don't tighten it too much or it'll spew hot flame everywere...

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Selklubber posted:

I never had a problem with our seals in the cold. Some models have the pump seal made of leather and the nozzle seal is lead. Just don't tighten it too much or it'll spew hot flame everywere...

No way? :v:

That's after carrying it out of the tent on the shovel...

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

During basic training we were shown a half-melted motocross boot and told that it was mostly what was left of the equipment of a bunch of motorcycle guys after they had managed to light their tent on fire. Can't recall anyone falling asleep on firewatch afterwards. :v:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Which came first, the transformer or the stove?

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

Selklubber posted:

Haha, what did he say in norwegian?

As for idiots:
My platoon had been assigned the job of cleaning a exercize area
He shouted the good old 'klikk!' in a very thick bergensk dialect.

The exercise area you're talking about is Jerkinn, right? I love the fact that privates get a 'dangerous service' bonus while clearing that field using a technique you'd think was ripped straight from an old soviet penal battalion mine clearing field manual.

brakeless posted:

During basic training we were shown a half-melted motocross boot and told that it was mostly what was left of the equipment
We had a tent burn down during the night once. The guy on fire watch was lighting the stove after refilling it with fuel, but neglected pre-warming the thing. If the stove ain't hot enough when you strike the match, it will spew giant flames everywhere like nobody's business. Some of our tents are leftovers from the Marshall help after WW2 and are ridiculously combustible.

So fire watch guy ignites the tent, reacts correctly and wakes the rest of the squad and gets everyone to safety after cutting his way out through the now burning tent. Squad leader quickly takes charge of the situation and begin to count his guys, only to find one missing. The missing guy had slept through the fire and all the commotion that followed and was still snoring away inside his sleeping bag. The guy had the best expression when he was woken up, suddenly under the open sky and with the rest of the squad standing around him in varying stages of undress.

And the Optimus Primus 110 totally came first.

Hovermoose fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 20, 2013

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Caconym posted:

No way? :v:

That's after carrying it out of the tent on the shovel...

God those tents look very unfun to carry.

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

Oxford Comma posted:

God those tents look very unfun to carry.

They're not too bad. The rows of buttons in the picture show where several separate pieces are buttoned together. The most used variants of the tent either use seven or ten sheets. When disassembled each squad member strap one of the pieces on their rucksack.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if all armies use lovely stoves. I know the CF does. We use lovely old Coleman stoves and if you get someone who doesn't know all the tricks to lighting it, it'll more than likely go up in a huge fireball. Some of them are easy to light and keep going but most of them are giant pieces of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
The Finnish army uses large stoves similar to what you'd find in a cabin. They have an integrated chimney, so lugging the thing around is a massive pain. They are wood fueled obviously, but the ability to procure dry wood varies.
Oil lamps are used for lighting, manufactured in Czechoslovakia, a country that no longer exists. They are as lovely as you imagine, horrible to light (wick position must be perfect), and fragile enough to warrant special wooden carrying cases.