Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Thauros posted:

Cool to see a complementary article on him in the NY Times and it's great that he's apparently doing very well.

I wonder how his subscriber base has changed over the years?

Wrestling's certainly nowhere near as hot as it once was, but his newsletter is certainly more accessible now with the online subscriptions and of course casual fans aren't really his target audience anyway. I'd be curious to see how static it's remained since the online version became available and the merger with F4W.
They mention peaks sometimes. When Punk left in 2011 Dave said WWE.com traffic was flat but they were way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dave and Bryan joked that they made a shitload of money the day Daniel Bryan was fired.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Bryan still holds out hope for wrestling to be hot again so he can get his gold boat.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm frankly amazed that 30% of WO subscribers still get the print version.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm frankly amazed that 30% of WO subscribers still get the print version.

A lot of workers prefer the print version as it's easier to pass around at work or use as memorabila. I know Foley has a bunch of his good early reviews collected on display in his house.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

A lot of workers prefer the print version as it's easier to pass around at work or use as memorabila. I know Foley has a bunch of his good early reviews collected on display in his house.

I'm guessing there's also just some old smarks out there who have subscribed for decades and just continue out of some combination of inertia, discomfort with computers, or record keeping.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Which is probably how this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1eOQyXbvJM

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That article is great. I love seeing Dave's office complete with lucha masks, papers all over the place, and a gigantic monitor. It is literally just like I imagined. Long live Big Dave.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I enjoyed the last WO Radio when Dave Meltzer actually said "gently caress" and then immediately apologized for his bad language. I'm going to assume the NY Times took photos before the Beatles poster appeared.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Bryan talking about the strongest men in the world is great.

Bryan: "I deadlifted 400 pounds. This guy added 603 pounds to that and deadlifted that!"
Vinny: "It's true, Bryan. You are not the strongest man in the world."
Bryan: "I WASN'T EVEN CLOSE!!!!"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Just resubscribed to F4W/WO. Dave and Bryan noticeably give far less of a poo poo about the WWE from the time I had to quit my subscription. Can't say I blame them.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just listened to Wai Ting's rant about Ariesdick. I take back my previous post, that was disgusting and I'm about ready to drop the LAW stuff myself. At least Pollock was rightly incredulous that Ting thinks that someone has to be physically groped to be intimidated or harassed.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I still haven't heard it (hell I'm barely through the WM shows) but he is apparently changing his tune a bit on their message boards:

Wai Ting posted:

To be clear, I don't think this issue has anything to do with her announcing mistake. The idea that Hemme should be embarrassed this way for announcing the wrong name is ridiculous. My interpretation was that it was simply Aries making light of an awkward situation by making it even more awkward.

I don't think he did it with any malicious intent, but yes, it was a bad rib, especially when you're working for a company (like) Viacom.

Personally, I saw the gag as less being about sex and more about "gross-out" humour, like a Party Boy Jackass skit. The thought that it was something sexually provocative didn't really strike me as much as the "eww… that's gross" vibe. Perhaps this is because I just don't attribute so much power to something that I just see as a smelly, unsightly body part. Again, this is my perspective as a male.

Having said that, I know that's not how many people, Christy Hemme in particular, see it. I respect and sympathize with how violated she felt as a result and agree that just punishment should be dealt. And though I don't think Aries set out to be as malicious as many are making out, I do now agree that he was being shortsighted about how he would make a woman feel; a mistake I'm guilty of as well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That made me feel better until I read the other dimwit replies (from others) to that thread. I hate wrestling fans so much.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Important news:

quote:

--Just a quick note regarding the computer in the office. I've actually got five different computers here, two laptops and two flat screens. The one in the picture is the oldest one, the relic from the 90s.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I could tell he had a more modern computer/monitor in the photo, although I wonder why the hell he needs 5 computers in one room.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Thauros posted:

I could tell he had a more modern computer/monitor in the photo, although I wonder why the hell he needs 5 computers in one room.

It's like you don't know anything about Dave Meltzer.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I was expecting at least half a dozen visible Japanese fax machines.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
I wonder if Dave has the older Observers on that computer in some odd file format and has to keep it around for compatibility issues. Or maybe he is like GRRM and uses Wordstar in DOS to write the Observer.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cactus Jack posted:

I wonder if Dave has the older Observers on that computer in some odd file format and has to keep it around for compatibility issues. Or maybe he is like GRRM and uses Wordstar in DOS to write the Observer.

How do people not know Dave? Just out of shot is the mountain of boxes containing hardcopy of every issue of the Observer, looming over him like a great monolith of wrestling knowledge.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
There's a 10 Minute Update by Alvarez up on F4W for non-subscribers.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Haha, first thing he mentions is everyone making fun of Dave's office

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
"DON'T SMOKE WEED BEFORE YOUR FIGHT!" :lol:

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Perigryn posted:

"DON'T SMOKE WEED BEFORE YOUR FIGHT!" :lol:
Superhuman fighters who feel no pain. :ohdear:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gaz-L posted:

How do people not know Dave? Just out of shot is the mountain of boxes containing hardcopy of every issue of the Observer, looming over him like a great monolith of wrestling knowledge.

Those actually aren't out of the shot at all, there's about twenty stacks under the window in between the Carano and Ali posters. Looks like he keeps them in plastic bins.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think those are legit, match worn masks? Ie is that a legit La Parka mask you think?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LordPants posted:

Do you think those are legit, match worn masks? Ie is that a legit La Parka mask you think?

I'd almost guarantee it, if Dave was just buying replica masks I'd expect there to be a lot more than 8 of them.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Big Dave posted:

Kaitlyn then said A.J. had the body of a 10-year-old boy. That would turn a lot of teenage boys gay I think.

:allears:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hahahaha Dave holy poo poo

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Those actually aren't out of the shot at all, there's about twenty stacks under the window in between the Carano and Ali posters. Looks like he keeps them in plastic bins.

I like my image better. :colbert:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I thought I couldn't get Dave'd anymore, but his inability to understand why you would give belts to all members of The Shield almost gave me an aneurysm.

It doesn't matter! They don't even wear them, they carry them!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Tato posted:

I thought I couldn't get Dave'd anymore, but his inability to understand why you would give belts to all members of The Shield almost gave me an aneurysm.

I laughed when he suddenly told Bryan "You're just being silly and I'll tell you why..."

ChaosSmurf
Dec 26, 2011

Big Dave posted:

Go do some more movies, dude!

Great poo poo today.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tato posted:

I haven't listened yet, what was his reasoning? I assumed the two title matches were exactly that, to give all the guys a belt, to do the Horsemen/Evolution thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't listened yet, what was his reasoning? I assumed the two title matches were exactly that, to give all the guys a belt, to do the Horsemen/Evolution thing.

He thinks that even if he's not jobbed out, Ambrose shouldn't be facing US title caliber opponents since he's already feuding with main eventers.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Given how WWE treats champions outside of the WWE title and occasionally the tag titles, Dave is absolutely a million percent right that putting a secondary title on Dean Ambrose is an abjectly horrible idea. I don't even know that it would be a good idea to put the world title him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRanTer posted:

He thinks that even if he's not jobbed out, Ambrose shouldn't be facing US title caliber opponents since he's already feuding with main eventers.

Ah, the original comment made it sound like he objected to them getting belts at all. I can see that. The real problem is WWE refusing to ditch 2-3 titles, probably out of concerns it'd hurt merch sales, but seriously, what kid wants a replica US title? You want the WWE belt, or if you're cool, the Big Gold Belt.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I thought it would be pretty neat if they'd kept the undefeated as a team gimmick, had him win the U.S. and Tag Belts and then turned all three into a "Trios" belt. They could hold it for a while, bring in another member so that Ambrose could keep his push to the top going and let them ride on being this unstoppable group. The tag belts don't mean anything and having them hold the trios belt for a while as a gimmick could make it mean something when they lose it. After they lose it have your evil GM declare that the trios belt isn't official, strip the champs to get them some heat and then put them in a tournament to crown new tag champs and a new U.S. champ. You're basically the same place you would have been before but thing got shaken up for a while.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Dave simply couldn't understand why anyone would want the visual of all Shield members holding titles. Even when Bryan said that Dean could just win the US title and never defend it (since it sucks) so that everyone had titles, Dave's brain simply wasn't having it and went into some weird territory about the Freebird rule and how no one wears the belts anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Hey, woah, IIRC Daniel Bryan actually wore the World Title and it owned.

• Locked thread