Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I don't find that the polytune is very good at its gimmick (strum all the strings at once and it will show what is out of tune and what isn't...not very accurate imo), but that being said, the polytune mini is extremely small so it won't take up too much space on your board (if you have one) and is quite accurate. Works totally fine on bass, I've used it more playing bass than regular guitar in fact. I don't know if you play in a band, but in my opinion every guitarist/bassist in a band should have a tuning pedal, as opposed to a clip-on or handheld. It is just such a timesaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'm dreading the day my ancient Sabine stick-on tuner finally bites the dust.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Turbo Tuner looks like my ideal pedal. Seems as accurate and fast as possible and the price isn't too much. I've always avoided having a tuner in my chain but lately my music focus is keeping it simple and going for "it does the job perfectly and will last forever". It's time.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Would there be any reason why I can't use my Digitech ValveFX in a bass signal path?

Mainly I'm wondering if, as a 'guitar box' it might have some hardwired highpass filtering or something like that. I recognize that the distortions and such will be tuned more towards guitar; this is to simplify the wiring.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jonny 290 posted:

Would there be any reason why I can't use my Digitech ValveFX in a bass signal path?

Mainly I'm wondering if, as a 'guitar box' it might have some hardwired highpass filtering or something like that. I recognize that the distortions and such will be tuned more towards guitar; this is to simplify the wiring.

There's nothing specifically that says you can't use guitar effects on a bass. With a bit of tweaking, you can still get sufficiently bass-y sounds. Most of it is pre-EQ'd to emphasize guitars, though, so you're losing a lot of bottom end, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

ohnonotbadgers
May 1, 2013
I'm loving the Empress Tape Delay right now. It's the perfect delay to me. It's smack down in the middle of everything I like and it's a joy to tweak.
Highly recommended for anyone who's been trying out different delays without being fully satisfied.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Anyone have an opinion on the EHX Germanium 4? I'm looking for a vintagey fuzz/OD/distortion sound and it seems like it woud be pretty flexible but I wanted some goon opinion on it.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

HollisBrown posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the EHX Germanium 4? I'm looking for a vintagey fuzz/OD/distortion sound and it seems like it woud be pretty flexible but I wanted some goon opinion on it.

I'm actually thinking about downsizing to this from my pigtronix disnortion. I love the disnortion OD and fuzz sections but I never use the octava section much since I got a micro POG. I'm also really drawn to the voltage section on the fuzz of the germanium. Haven't had a chance to personally try one out yet, but all the demo vids and reviews I've read were generally pretty good.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Hollis - tried out a germanium this weekend...didn't really like it though. The overdrive section was pretty lame and just made everything sound too shrill rather than provide the kind of boost I wanted. I played with it for a good half hour or so too. The "fuzz" part is fine - classic muffy fuzz and the volts switch is handy. I think I'll stay away from the germanium though. Right now I'm thinking about doing an Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz and some OD box to replace my disnortion.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Tiny Faye posted:

Hollis - tried out a germanium this weekend...didn't really like it though. The overdrive section was pretty lame and just made everything sound too shrill rather than provide the kind of boost I wanted. I played with it for a good half hour or so too. The "fuzz" part is fine - classic muffy fuzz and the volts switch is handy. I think I'll stay away from the germanium though. Right now I'm thinking about doing an Earthquaker Hoof Fuzz and some OD box to replace my disnortion.

Thanks for the heads up, that's lame though. I think I'll just be looking into a good fuzz, I already have decent OD and a DS-1 so I guess all i really need a good fuzz and I'm good for distortion.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HollisBrown posted:

Thanks for the heads up, that's lame though. I think I'll just be looking into a good fuzz, I already have decent OD and a DS-1 so I guess all i really need a good fuzz and I'm good for distortion.

Check out the Fuzzrocious Grey Stache. It's my go to fuzz for bass and guitar. Lots of different options since he makes them custom. You can get a really versatile fuzz that will cover a wide range of tones.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

I'm looking for a vintagey fuzz/OD/distortion sound and it seems like it woud be pretty flexible but I wanted some goon opinion on it.

What are we talking about here? Vintage like a fuzz face? What type of sound are you going for?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

There is a maddening differential in the tonal expectations of both overdrive, distortion and fuzz, for each person. And, yes, each one has its own color and breakup characteristics.

If you have a tube amplifier, this could be really easy for you, because I could recommend something like the Zvex Double Rock, because it offers two circuits that can function as either a "Distortron" circuit, which gives you a vintage germanium distortion, or a "Super Hard On" boost which would boost your volume so its compressed by your tubes. Fuzzwise, I really have no idea if this would work, but setting both channels to "Distortron" circuits would have one distortion cascading into another, which gives you a variety of tone shaping options, but even I have a hard time understanding where everything else ends and the fuzz begins. I owned a Box of Rock which I used for both distortion and overdrive (really just boosting into my Fender tubes) needs, but then I tried my friends Fuzz Factory and it was completely different; the gain, the gate, the sheer insanity of crushing your signal into velcro.

Mind you, these are all Zvex effects and they are well overpriced, especially for new ones. And I expect a bird or two to poo poo on this post because they signed a contract with Bane Capital's Guitar Center to sell their products, but Zach Vexx is a cool guy and his products are unique, and also straightforward and easy to repair/modify, so sue me.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Not exactly vintage sounding but it's not a big muff and always sounds really good:
http://fuzzhugger.com/pedal-algal-bloom.html

I also have one of these: http://www.prymaxevintage.com/fuzzhugger-fx-arc-flash-fuzz/ which has a lot of cool sounds in it too.

I've been through a few more fuzz pedals in the last couple years but only kept those two and the russian big muff. A good boost right after fuzz can do a lot of work too and LPB-1s are real cheap to buy or build.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Zvex makes good effects. They are different and probably the most well built boutique pedals I have ever messed around with. His prices are just crazy high on some of his pedals. You really need to be sure the pedal your buying is the one your looking for because good god. Always try one of the pedals out before you buy one if you can.

edit: I really can't think of anything to hate on zvex for other than crazy high prices. Maybe that he cribs some general ideas from other pedal makers but if that's a crime then shut down the entire loving boutique pedal business.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 15, 2013

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

FancyMike posted:

Not exactly vintage sounding but it's not a big muff and always sounds really good:
http://fuzzhugger.com/pedal-algal-bloom.html

I also have one of these: http://www.prymaxevintage.com/fuzzhugger-fx-arc-flash-fuzz/ which has a lot of cool sounds in it too.

Fuzzhugger used to be the best place for boutique pedal shopping. You had a lot of really good pedal builders putting up short run pedals, or hand painted/etched editions. Most of the builders have moved on and its kinda sad to look at the list of available pedals and see only three different builders.

That said fuzzhugger themselves push out pedals all of the time and are totally worth the money you spend on them.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Stravinsky posted:

Zvex makes good effects.
He really does and they're sturdy and hold up well to banging around and abusing pretty well.

I've got several but if I had to pick a favorite it'd probably be my Fuzz Factory, mother of GOD I love that pedal so much.
The Octane 3 is a lot of fun, but I make myself ignore it otherwise it'd get old and gimmicky.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
My Zvex mastotron has the longest battery life of any pedal I've ever seen. Zvex pedals are pretty cool but pricey. Always wanted to try a super hard-on because i've seen it on the boards of some awesome players. I don't care if they sell their items at a store that is apparently backed by the legion of doom.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

You can buy zvex pedals from other places other than guitar center just FYI.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Stravinsky posted:

You can buy zvex pedals from other places other than guitar center just FYI.

Also everyone knows all good guitar pedals are made in a guy's garage with left over components from the Russian occupation of Afghanistan.

Edit for content:
I'm really looking for something that sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWybTnWN09c ~3:38

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 16, 2013

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

HollisBrown posted:

Edit for content:
I'm really looking for something that sounds like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWybTnWN09c ~3:38

I'm pretty sure Fripp used a Russian Big Muff pedal in the 1970s. Possibly check out some of the Wren and Cuff series? He does a lot of copies of period-specific Muffs.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Noise Machine posted:

I'm pretty sure Fripp used a Russian Big Muff pedal in the 1970s. Possibly check out some of the Wren and Cuff series? He does a lot of copies of period-specific Muffs.

There were no Russian Big Muffs until the 90s.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

There weren't any Russian Big Muffs until the 90s. If Fripp was using a Big Muff in the 70s it would have been one of the older USA models. Probably still lots of ram's head or triangle muff clones out there.

http://frippgear.wordpress.com/70s-kc/

Quick google brought this up and you're probably looking for one of the first big muff versions or like a buzzaround or something. A buzzaround clone would be a cool vintage-y sound. http://arc-effects.com/crimson-king. I think that specific clone started as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STheqtwxQM4

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

HollisBrown posted:

Also everyone knows all good guitar pedals are made in a guy's garage with left over components from the Russian occupation of Afghanistan.

Edit for content:

You should check out a germanium muff. I think it's has all the sounds of the od plus the distortion fuzz of a muff. I've been meaning to try one for awhile but I already have piles of unused pedals I should get rid of first.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Krustic posted:

You should check out a germanium muff. I think it's has all the sounds of the od plus the distortion fuzz of a muff. I've been meaning to try one for awhile but I already have piles of unused pedals I should get rid of first.

Check my post above. I found the OD on the germanium super disappointing.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Whoops. That's a shame. I don't think your the first person I've heard say that about the germanium od section.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Krustic posted:

Whoops. That's a shame. I don't think your the first person I've heard say that about the germanium od section.

I think combo pedals are sort of a crap shoot. I love my disnortion but I can't justify keeping it because I only use 2/3rds of it - the octava section isn't my thing. The OD section is awesome on it though, but I'm looking for a bit more flexibility out of the fuzz. If pigtronix just dropped the Octava section and sold the thing for a little less money it would totally kick the germanium's butt sales wise.

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 16, 2013

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPUMzNgpmA

How do I get the noise at 2:15? I'm almost certain that Nick Reinhart uses a boss something or other (DD-5?), but I couldn't tell you exactly what pedal or what setting or even how he does it. I've looked everywhere. I saw a video of the guy from Mylets using some Digitech something or other, but I'd rather do it the Reinhart way.

edit: he also does it a lot in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMzxiqwvh4k

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gorilla Salsa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPUMzNgpmA

How do I get the noise at 2:15? I'm almost certain that Nick Reinhart uses a boss something or other (DD-5?), but I couldn't tell you exactly what pedal or what setting or even how he does it. I've looked everywhere. I saw a video of the guy from Mylets using some Digitech something or other, but I'd rather do it the Reinhart way.

edit: he also does it a lot in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMzxiqwvh4k

Any digital delay can get you there. Turn up the feedback until it self-oscillates and then adjust the delay time and you'll have it.

Analog and tape delays can do it as well, of course, but it sounds less processed.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Declan MacManus posted:

Any digital delay can get you there. Turn up the feedback until it self-oscillates and then adjust the delay time and you'll have it.

Analog and tape delays can do it as well, of course, but it sounds less processed.

I'm pretty sure the method is using a looper, and recording for the smallest possible amount of time. I found the video where Mylets describes it (@2:54):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJg7HejNw1w

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Yeah, you could do it with a looper or oscillating a delay. Making a short sample with a looper is probably going to be the easiest and most effective way of doing it though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Question: I'm trying to sell/trade my You Dirty Rat distortion on Craigslist so I can get something fuzzier. I had a Rat2 before this but one of my former bandmates broke it accidentally, so I replaced it but with YDR instead, and I'm not as happy with the sound of it.

Someone contacted me today offering to trade me his Voodoo Labs Proctavia for my Rat. I looked up some videos of it on YouTube and it sounds cool, I guess, but it didn't seem to sound as fuzzy as I was looking for. Should I pass on this or would it sound cool in my chain? Currently, my other pedals are an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 boost, Electro-Harmonix Cathedral reverb and a Boss DD7 delay. The Rat didn't seem to jive as well with my other pedals, but I'm sure a different one would. Would the Proctavia work out?

I've got until Tuesday to change my mind because this dude lives out of town and is coming in then.

The sound I'm looking to achieve is ambient/post-rock.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Question: I'm trying to sell/trade my You Dirty Rat distortion on Craigslist so I can get something fuzzier. I had a Rat2 before this but one of my former bandmates broke it accidentally, so I replaced it but with YDR instead, and I'm not as happy with the sound of it.

Someone contacted me today offering to trade me his Voodoo Labs Proctavia for my Rat. I looked up some videos of it on YouTube and it sounds cool, I guess, but it didn't seem to sound as fuzzy as I was looking for. Should I pass on this or would it sound cool in my chain? Currently, my other pedals are an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 boost, Electro-Harmonix Cathedral reverb and a Boss DD7 delay. The Rat didn't seem to jive as well with my other pedals, but I'm sure a different one would. Would the Proctavia work out?

I've got until Tuesday to change my mind because this dude lives out of town and is coming in then.

There's no way anyone will be able to tell how it will gently caress with your set up. It can depend with what you plug in, where in the chain you put your pedals in and your amp and the settings you have for everything. So just get it if you actually want it.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Have you ever thought about drivers? Like a bluesdriver, tubedriver, nightdriver?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I absolutely love my Proctavia. It DOESN'T get very fuzzy but it still sounds really REALLY nice. The only thing I see that you have listed that I've used with mine is the Cathedral and I don't recall any issues there. Octave fuzzes in general can be a little wonky with other pedals (you should hear my Zvexx Octane, that poo poo can get hilarious) but really, just try it out. It's a nice pedal tho'.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stravinsky posted:

Have you ever thought about drivers? Like a bluesdriver, tubedriver, nightdriver?

Never known much about them. What's the advantage of those over other pedals? And what's the best model? Or rather, best for the type of sound I'm going for?

If I ended up selling this thing and not trading it, I was going to get an Ibanez Tube King, since I've heard of them being used with much success in post-rock sounds.

iostream.h posted:

I absolutely love my Proctavia. It DOESN'T get very fuzzy but it still sounds really REALLY nice. The only thing I see that you have listed that I've used with mine is the Cathedral and I don't recall any issues there. Octave fuzzes in general can be a little wonky with other pedals (you should hear my Zvexx Octane, that poo poo can get hilarious) but really, just try it out. It's a nice pedal tho'.

Awesome, I guess I'll trade for it then. No one else has responded to my post, and I've had it up for several days, so I'm just gonna go with this offer. From the YouTube videos I watched, it does sound nice. If it ends up clashing with my other pedals, I can always just put it on CL and then get a Tube King or maybe a driver or something.

Thanks for the help guys :)

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Stravinsky posted:

...you're kidding me, right?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

dancehall posted:

...you're kidding me, right?

I never joke. Ever.

Real posts though, some one buy me one of everything from here and send them to me tia
http://www.lalweb.com/effects.html

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Stravinsky posted:

I never joke. Ever.

Real posts though, some one buy me one of everything from here and send them to me tia
http://www.lalweb.com/effects.html

I have no idea what a donsharizer is but now I don't know if I can live without one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alright dudes, looking for a really, really good distortion pedal that I can trust regardless of what amp I'm using. I'll be using it with passive guitars mostly. I want something that plays well with other pedals/a wah and has a very solid brutal sound to go well with my 7 string. I'm leaning towards the Metal Muff since the YouTube demos sound incredible but I'm open to anything. The sound I want could be described as sludge with a punchy proggy tightness. Something between Mastodon and Meshuggah (I'm not stupid enough to expect those tones but I wanted an example.)