Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Vernii posted:

Are you people even capable of reading? The article written by the journalist who was at the event, which is still only a page back so you should be able to find it easily, and which I have [i]already quoted once on this page.

Thanks. Usually when the posting devolves into this level of vitriol and people start breaking out :qq:, I skip over it for BM posts, assuming that nobody is going to say anything remotely insightful or relevant in favor of calling each other Nazis etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Muscle Tracer posted:

Thanks. Usually when the posting devolves into this level of vitriol and people start breaking out :qq:, I skip over it for BM posts, assuming that nobody is going to say anything remotely insightful or relevant in favor of calling each other Nazis etc.

That's understandable. A lot of posters seem to have not read the page and are operating under the mistaken assumption that demonstrations in war zones should be handled like delicate china.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Bashar Assad posted:

That's understandable. A lot of posters seem to have not read the page and are operating under the mistaken assumption that demonstrations in war zones should be handled like delicate china.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Vernii posted:

Tell us again about how eating a human heart is Totally Okay.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

Still, you and the guy responding to you got the last word. I'm amazed that so many people earlier in the program seemed convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that the regime is using sarin, despite there being very little evidence to support that theory and many obvious holes in the reasoning, like your point about the grenades.

That's why I really wanted to get on earlier, it would have turned the whole conversation on it's head, and been a lot more interesting then people debating the same "facts" again. There were some really good guests who would have said a lot of interesting things on it, instead I get 45 seconds of replies.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Sorry man. At least you got to bring up the canisters. They were really juggling a hell of a lot of guests, so I'm sure you're not the only one who is disappointed.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Not a soldier, but I doubt that it's as safe and simple as you're making it out to be.

I was an infantryman, and it's exactly how we were taught, and that never contradicted my values. Keep in mind this wasn't a demonstration organized by like-minded people to send a message to the opposition fighters. It was organized by the regime to send unarmed people into the line of fire to stir the pot, while lacing the crowd with gunmen to draw a response. They wanted to get the opposition to commit a massacre so they could use it as propaganda against the rebels. From the opposition figures perspective, they were absolutely screwed. You either do nothing, and get overran, which is NOT an option. You fire warning shots, in which case the gunmen in the crowd will return fire, and you've got a firefight with a crowd of unarmed people in the middle, or you just open up on everyone which is not an option. The middle option is the only choice. You can't leave because you're massively outnumbered, and moving through the streets is an easy way to find yourself surrounded at close proximity, which leaves your life in the hands of a mob. Your best bet is to hunker down, maintain security on all fields of fire and tell people to stay the gently caress back. Then you pray they listen.

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah vernii. As someone making the same point as you, the douchiness your posts are dripping in is undermining what you're saying.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 16, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The thing about the demonstration is we see one guy who was wounded (maybe?), and a report of the Syrian Army guy wounded as well. Maybe I missed the report where it was a massacre, but opening fire on a crowd doesn't always mean aiming at them and mowing them down. From that video it looked like most of the shots were warning shots fired overhead. During the initial phase of the Iraq War I remember a demonstration that was attempted to be broken up by warning shots, but then someone fired on American forces and they let loose with everything and killed a whole bunch of people. That doesn't seem to be the case here, and with automatic weapons fire it really should have been if the rebels intended to do such a thing.

I think both sides in this thread are massively overblowing the incident.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

VikingSkull posted:

The thing about the demonstration is we see one guy who was wounded (maybe?), and a report of the Syrian Army guy wounded as well. Maybe I missed the report where it was a massacre, but opening fire on a crowd doesn't always mean aiming at them and mowing them down. From that video it looked like most of the shots were warning shots fired overhead. During the initial phase of the Iraq War I remember a demonstration that was attempted to be broken up by warning shots, but then someone fired on American forces and they let loose with everything and killed a whole bunch of people. That doesn't seem to be the case here, and with automatic weapons fire it really should have been if the rebels intended to do such a thing.

I think both sides in this thread are massively overblowing the incident.

The Syrian Army reported that they killed 10 opposition fighters, suffered 3 casualties, and 5 civilians were injured. It would appear that the demonstration was halted almost immediately by shots being fired, with the protesters retreating back across the no-man's land. Certainly there could have been more casualties, and it is impossible to say how many injuries occurred during the protest, and how many during the Syrian Army attack that began moments later.

edit: Now that I've watched the video myself, I have no issue with the opposition forces refusing to permit the protest. They have no obligation to accept the obvious risks to their lives entailed by allowing an unknown group of civilian and military forces into their secure areas. Particularly when those risks then became apparent when the Syrian Army used the protest as a pretext for an immediate attack. The rebels clearly communicated that they would not allow the protest ahead of time, and they used a reasonable amount of force in dispersing the crowd that invaded their territory (as opposed to detonating IEDs or emptying a machine-gun into the crowd etc.)

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 17, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Heart munching lunatic Abu Sakkar has put out a statement

quote:

He is praying at first. Making supplications for different things (health, people, etc). From the outskirts of Homs we have Abu Sukkar:
"I am of one of the people of Syria, and the people of Syria are a part of the world. I am willing to face trial for my actions if Bashar and his thugs stand trial for their atrocities. My Message to the world, IF the blood in Syria doesn't stop, all of Syria will become like me."
"I did what I did because of the different things i have witnessed from shabeeha, cutting off the hands of the living, rape, etc"
Lastly he is asked, "will you stop fighting after the outrage at your last video?" He says "I will fight to the death, Victory or Death."

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

Can you insert the sad, walking-away music from the Incredible Hulk at the end of that?

Thanks in advance.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Can you insert the sad, walking-away music from the Incredible Hulk at the end of that?

Thanks in advance.
Especially for you.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Hey look at that, dreams do come true!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQMf6RgOGpk

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

R. Mute posted:

Tell us again about how eating a human heart is Totally Okay.
No one ate a human heart. There was a video that cuts out right as a man puts his teeth on a heart probably because he immediately jerked back in disgust. It's a propaganda video designed to intimidate their enemies, if you really want to talk about cannibals eating their enemies where's the thread on Africa?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

One day I will edit war footage from Syria into that video, it's my dream.

Here's a good piece looking about Jabhat al-Nusra having a bit of trouble with Al-Qaeda, as JaN splits into one side that wants to stay as Jabhat al-Nusra, and another that wants to be Al Qaeda.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 17, 2013

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Brown Moses posted:

quote:

IF the blood in Syria doesn't stop, all of Syria will become like me.

It does seem to me, as a naive western observer, that this civil war has passed the point of no return. Assad and his forces can't step down without facing the slaughter of their families and supporters, and the rebels can't step down without facing the same fate. Maybe that's what was going to happen from the beginning but, now that so much of the country has been forced to choose a side, the slaughter will surely be worse.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

One day I will edit war footage from Syria into that video, it's my dream.

Here's a good piece looking about Jabhat al-Nusra having a bit of trouble with Al-Qaeda, as JaN splits into one side that wants to stay as Jabhat al-Nusra, and another that wants to be Al Qaeda.

Is there some benefit to them putting a giant target on their heads and driving Western governments away from the rebels en masse? Or is calling your group "Al Qaeda" just some machismo bullshit?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

NathanScottPhillips posted:

No one ate a human heart. There was a video that cuts out right as a man puts his teeth on a heart probably because he immediately jerked back in disgust. It's a propaganda video designed to intimidate their enemies, if you really want to talk about cannibals eating their enemies where's the thread on Africa?

Stop and look at what you've come to. Minimizing atrocities is never the right decision, or even a smart one honestly. It's OK to maintain standards of humanity, even in a war, and especially when watching war from an armchair.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

radical meme posted:

It does seem to me, as a naive western observer, that this civil war has passed the point of no return. Assad and his forces can't step down without facing the slaughter of their families and supporters, and the rebels can't step down without facing the same fate. Maybe that's what was going to happen from the beginning but, now that so much of the country has been forced to choose a side, the slaughter will surely be worse.

I agree.

How difficult is it for civilians to leave the country?

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Stop and look at what you've come to. Minimizing atrocities is never the right decision, or even a smart one honestly. It's OK to maintain standards of humanity, even in a war, and especially when watching war from an armchair.
What have I come to? Trying to get people to stop exaggerating so drat much? Do you think if he had really eaten the heart the video would have cut off so quickly? No of course not. This is just an average guy driven insane by the conflict, not some evil Islamist cannibal who's poisoned the pure rebels' cause.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Regardless of who did what, Vernii was saying eating a human heart is okay - it doesn't matter if it actually happened or not, he's okay with it either way it seems.

Also, I know what you're referring to (situations like in the Liberian civil war), but I'd advise you to be more careful when phrasing that in the future - Western perception of Africa is warped enough, you don't need to fuel it by inadvertently implying the entire continent is full of cannibals.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've reached my £6000 total for my Indiegogo fundraiser, I can now blog for the next 6 months without having to worry about getting a real job, hurrah!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

To dampen the mood here's a video showing parachute bombs doing what they do best, killing a bunch of people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1iiM4u23lU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Worthleast posted:

I agree.

How difficult is it for civilians to leave the country?

Well the refugee camp in Jordan is on pace to become the largest of its type by the end of the year, so the steady flow indicates people can still find ways out. For anyone curious, the largest currently is in the Sudan.

And congrats BM!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Volkerball posted:

Well the refugee camp in Jordan is on pace to become the largest of its type by the end of the year, so the steady flow indicates people can still find ways out. For anyone curious, the largest currently is in the Sudan.

poo poo would really be hosed if the violence spread to Jordan (Black September 1970, anyone?). After the Turkey bomb attacks there were reports of some Syrian refugees returning to Syria because they felt it is safer there...

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
Gnawing on a corpse is small potatoes as war atrocities go, especially in a war like this one where at least one side is routinely torturing people to death. It seems like people only care because it's a novel kind of savagery, instead of the routine savagery we've become accustomed to.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

hepatizon posted:

Gnawing on a corpse is small potatoes as war atrocities go, especially in a war like this one where at least one side is routinely torturing people to death. It seems like people only care because it's a novel kind of savagery, instead of the routine savagery we've become accustomed to.

Or some people realize that putting Al Qaeda in power will be even worse.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Or some people realize that putting Al Qaeda in power will be even worse.
Not Al Qaeda! :ohdear:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

hepatizon posted:

Imagine if a video surfaced where a US soldier was taking a bite out of a Taliban fighter's heart. Small potatoes!

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Speaking of which, there is a long piece on Reuters today about Al-Nursa Front's effective disintegration and replacement by AQI.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/17/us-syria-crisis-nusra-idUSBRE94G0FY20130517

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

To dampen the mood here's a video showing parachute bombs doing what they do best, killing a bunch of people

This is the second video of those things I've seen, what is the advantage of using those instead of the classic "free fall until explode" kind of bombs? I'm guessing a wider dispersal as they drift?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Chard posted:

This is the second video of those things I've seen, what is the advantage of using those instead of the classic "free fall until explode" kind of bombs? I'm guessing a wider dispersal as they drift?

More time for the plane to get out of the blast radius in low altitude bombing, among other things. Not only does the parachute slow the descent but it also takes out all forward momentum.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Miruvor posted:

Speaking of which, there is a long piece on Reuters today about Al-Nursa Front's effective disintegration and replacement by AQI.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/17/us-syria-crisis-nusra-idUSBRE94G0FY20130517

I had a guest post on my blog on that very subject, well worth a read to understand the new dynamic, Jabhat al-Nusra and The Islamic State of Iraq and ash-Sham.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

I've reached my £6000 total for my Indiegogo fundraiser, I can now blog for the next 6 months without having to worry about getting a real job, hurrah!

Hooray! Did you solve the paypal issue?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Hooray! Did you solve the paypal issue?

Yeah, I got a bunch of my journalists pals started directly Tweeting the president of Paypal who dealt with it directly, got it fixed in under 6 hours.

This video shows an illumination round deployed during the day, which I suspect has been done to make anyone who sees it think it's some sort of chemical weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ4qXRy9kdo

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Brown Moses posted:

Wow, what purpose does attaching these to a parachute serve? Seems like incredibly effective psychological warfare when you can see what will kill people slowly raining down. If you shoot it, great, you ruined the parachute and now die even quicker.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Wow, what purpose does attaching these to a parachute serve? Seems like incredibly effective psychological warfare when you can see what will kill people slowly raining down. If you shoot it, great, you ruined the parachute and now die even quicker.

Nenonen posted:

More time for the plane to get out of the blast radius in low altitude bombing, among other things. Not only does the parachute slow the descent but it also takes out all forward momentum.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
So psychological warfare is not involved at all with those?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Kurt_Cobain posted:

So psychological warfare is not involved at all with those?

Just blowing people to poo poo while avoiding air defences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Parachute bombs are designed to drop the ordinance directly from above instead of from an angle.

• Locked thread