Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Haven't we already been told to shut the gently caress up about gender identity issues in this thread?

Here's a "CrowdSupply" campaign -- a $120 mason jar-based French Press that you supply the mason jar for.

https://www.crowdsupply.com/bucket/the-portland-press

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"I watched that one episode of South Park so I'm fully qualified to say that SRS is an elective, unnecessary surgery people undertake because they think that changing their gender will just magically fix all their problems."

-The Internet

I think the post you quoted is in support of SRS. Is there any thread where we can take this discussion? I don't want to miss out on any terrible kickstarters because of this argument.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you think they would have gotten a lot of support from the LGBT community, you seriously do not know poo poo about the LGBT community. There are numerous parts of the community that don't care about transgender people, or outright hate them. Being lesbian, gay, or bisexual doesn't make you any more tolerant of people who don't fit into your worldview.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Me in Reverse posted:

Haven't we already been told to shut the gently caress up about gender identity issues in this thread?

Here's a "CrowdSupply" campaign -- a $120 mason jar-based French Press that you supply the mason jar for.

So is there anything distinguishing crowdsupply from kickstarter?

edit: Neil Gaiman's going to be in a movie
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2126085206/blood-kiss

Xandu has a new favorite as of 19:48 on May 15, 2013

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

Jefferoo posted:

The sheer amount of people naively claiming if she was just up front about it she would have gotten it all...

I don't care if he/she would have gotten the money if he/she was honest about the matter. At the end of the day, he/she is a lying scumbag who doesn't deserve a single cent. A scam is scam regardless if you're dying, transgender, cisgender or have any unfortunate combination of vaginas and penises.

Anyway, for content, there's this hideous thing. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1412493098/necktune-the-most-versatile-mobile-device-case-eve?ref=recently_launched

Needless neckstrap smartphone case. What's the purpose of this? Most, if not all, of headphones are long enough for you to keep the phone in your pocket while you walk, run, do whatever.

edit: for a bonus, you can't even watch MLP on your phone!!

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

Tazzillekki posted:

I don't care if he/she would have gotten the money if he/she was honest about the matter. At the end of the day, he/she is a lying scumbag who doesn't deserve a single cent. A scam is scam regardless if you're dying, transgender, cisgender or have any unfortunate combination of vaginas and penises.

Drop the he/she bullshit she identifies as a woman.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jefferoo posted:

The sheer amount of people naively claiming if she was just up front about it she would have gotten it all, no problem, have absolutely zero idea how transphobic the internet is - when this story blew up on Twitter, a trans friend of mine spoke up and received an endless amount of bigotry and hatred her way. A games journalist proceeded to sit on the knowledge of her trans status and her threats of suicide instead of getting her help, then proceeded to out her trans status without her consent, because, "well, she already tried to kill herself, so gently caress it, and THE GAMING PUBLIC NEEDS TO KNOW."

That's why I said she shoulda just put up a campaign for her to make an indie game of some sort, since that's apparently what she's known for making to start. People hand out thousands for that kind of stuff all the time and there'd have been no chance of a canceled campaign.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Xandu posted:

So is there anything distinguishing crowdsupply from kickstarter?

edit: Neil Gaiman's going to be in a movie
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2126085206/blood-kiss

The website looks completely different! :v:

Actually they kinda acknowledge that it's basically a pre-order service and have 'stages' where a thing is Crowdfunded, then Pre-Ordered (after the goal is met), and then just Sold (by CrowdSupply, so they can skim profits).

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Me in Reverse posted:

It looks like they do actually give you a mason jar at everything but the cheapest level, not that that makes it much less hilariously overpriced.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Me in Reverse posted:

Holy. poo poo. They are literally reselling Bodum press parts and ball mason jars with crazy mark up. All they did was make some wood caps for the jar and rod. The Bodum parts cost $14, the Mason Jar is $12. So they're charging $74 for some cheap rear end wool to go on the jar and the wood top.

That's ballsy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Me in Reverse posted:

This is like the very picture of an idea that might have been neat if it were at a remotely reasonable price.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Crain posted:

Holy. poo poo. They are literally reselling Bodum press parts and ball mason jars with crazy mark up. All they did was make some wood caps for the jar and rod. The Bodum parts cost $14, the Mason Jar is $12. So they're charging $74 for some cheap rear end wool to go on the jar and the wood top.

That's ballsy.

Does Bodum actually manufacture those specific wooden french press parts or are you surprised that they are selling a press that resembles a Bodum press, which is a brand name of french presses? Because if its the first then it means they're lying when they say they're manufacturing them in the US out of US sourced wood, and if it is the second then I'm not sure why you are surprised since they are claiming to sell a french (bodum) press for use with mason jars.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

Does Bodum actually manufacture those specific wooden french press parts or are you surprised that they are selling a press that resembles a Bodum press, which is a brand name of french presses? Because if its the first then it means they're lying when they say they're manufacturing them in the US out of US sourced wood, and if it is the second then I'm not sure why you are surprised since they are claiming to sell a french (bodum) press for use with mason jars.

Yeah no, watch the video on the kickstarter.

The metal parts are machine-stamped locally, the wood is carved out by some local woodworking company, and the wool cozy is taken from local sheep and combed by (local?) machines and stuff.

I really don't think it's that bad and I would probably buy one if I was in the market for a french press, I get pretty loving pumped about local consumer products and poo poo like this.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Shorter Than Some posted:

Actually no, do you have a link to it?

http://www.indiegogo.com/help-an-aspiring-author

Discussion starts here, and continued for a couple of pages.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Gorbash posted:

http://www.indiegogo.com/help-an-aspiring-author

Discussion starts here, and continued for a couple of pages.

Haha, the guy had five loving backers total and Of Science was acting as if everyone was fully supporting him. Nice try.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Sigma-X posted:

Unless it's just a place holder image, the image shows the exact same parts as the bodum spare parts page. Unless those are just standard designs. http://bodum.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/prodlist/274/

So either they're just reselling bodum parts or are making parts that look exactly like them and probably running into copy right issue. Look at the patterns. They look exactly alike.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crain posted:

Unless it's just a place holder image, the image shows the exact same parts as the bodum spare parts page. Unless those are just standard designs. http://bodum.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/prodlist/274/

So either they're just reselling bodum parts or are making parts that look exactly like them and probably running into copy right issue. Look at the patterns. They look exactly alike.

Hm, it's possible that they could have just used the product images from Bodum for the kickstarter Crowd Supply page product mockup, right? I mean you'd really have to have the product in hand to know what's going on there.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

tuyop posted:

Hm, it's possible that they could have just used the product images from Bodum for the kickstarter Crowd Supply page product mockup, right? I mean you'd really have to have the product in hand to know what's going on there.

It could be that. But we'll see.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Do you like Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity? Do you also like The Princess Bride? Then clearly you're going to like an entire game based on one single quote from the movie!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/the-princess-bride-prepare-to-die?ref=live

This just looks terrible by every definition of the word.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Frozen-Solid posted:

Do you like Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity? Do you also like The Princess Bride? Then clearly you're going to like an entire game based on one single quote from the movie!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/springboard/the-princess-bride-prepare-to-die?ref=live

They clearly should have made a Balderdash knockoff called Inconceivable.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Frozen-Solid posted:

Meme TCG took more effort than that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I'm not sure how licensing works, but I would have thought that it would cost more than $5000 to acquire the license to The Princess Bride.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Springboard already picked up the license for the film and plan to run it into the ground with multiple games like this one. In the Springboard booth at PAX East I was ease dropping on David Sirlin talk to several prospective game designers about games that might be right for the license.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

GrandpaPants posted:

So I'm not sure how licensing works, but I would have thought that it would cost more than $5000 to acquire the license to The Princess Bride.

If you asked the creator I'm pretty sure he or she would say 'fair use' without actually knowing what that means.

Carl Killer Miller has a new favorite as of 22:12 on May 17, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Carl Killer Miller posted:

If you asked the creator I'm pretty sure he or she would say 'fair use' without actually knowing what that means.

The creator is an actual legitimate company with multiple successful projects under their belt :ssh:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm shocked these people actually went the full nine yards and got permission to use the license. I'm kind of impressed.

Still looks like an awful concept, mind you.

Carl Killer Miller posted:

:golfclap:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crain posted:

That's ballsy.

Two of the wool things are $49.99 as one of the options.

Baron Snow posted:

Springboard already picked up the license for the film and plan to run it into the ground with multiple games like this one. In the Springboard booth at PAX East I was ease dropping on David Sirlin talk to several prospective game designers about games that might be right for the license.

God, why? :smithicide:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

A serving dish for people too stupid to use a proper serving utensil

Seriously, in the video he creates the "problem" by trying to transfer a salad-like dish to his plate using a regular spoon and just pushing the food onto his plate. Use a bigger spoon and scoop the way spoons were intended to be used, or pick up the drat serving dish and hold it over your plate when serving.

Rewards: Thanks on the website! A recipe book with a whole 10 recipes! Pledge $54 and get the actual product plus the previous rewards! Pledge a ton of money and get a custom color/design and you go on special mailing list to receive future news about the product!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's just continuing the time honored tradition of TV infomercials where the people using competing products are so dumb you wonder how they tie their shoes.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Machai posted:

A serving dish for people too stupid to use a proper serving utensil

Seriously, in the video he creates the "problem" by trying to transfer a salad-like dish to his plate using a regular spoon and just pushing the food onto his plate. Use a bigger spoon and scoop the way spoons were intended to be used, or pick up the drat serving dish and hold it over your plate when serving.

Rewards: Thanks on the website! A recipe book with a whole 10 recipes! Pledge $54 and get the actual product plus the previous rewards! Pledge a ton of money and get a custom color/design and you go on special mailing list to receive future news about the product!

This is going to stick it to BigTongs companies worldwide. Time to sell all my Tong Co stock.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

You know how when you get together with friends and play D&D and make all those hilarious jokes that you wish you could share with the world? These guys do, and it is apparently some form of performance art. They use a lot of title-cards in their youtube videos, so it seems like they have a lot of time where there is not some hilarious thing going on.

They are such hot poo poo that they need you to help raise $5000 so they can afford to go to GenCon and actually be present for the panel they have already signed up for.

Hats for Cats
Need I say more? Just look at how unhappy the cats in the video are.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Machai posted:

Hats for Cats

Pff hats for birds is a way more profitable idea.

Clearly. :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Machai posted:

Hats for Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fP4emqw7O4

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I would never, ever get my cat to wear a hat. I have scars on my forearms from just trying to wipe diarrhea off him, something his own interests aligned with. No way would he allow me to humiliate him like that.

And yet, it's got ten times the funding asked for. The internet and cats, man; it's as sure-fire as an iPhone accessory.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I would never, ever get my cat to wear a hat. I have scars on my forearms from just trying to wipe diarrhea off him, something his own interests aligned with. No way would he allow me to humiliate him like that.

And yet, it's got ten times the funding asked for. The internet and cats, man; it's as sure-fire as an iPhone accessory.

iphones for cats

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
Let's take a quick glance through Ending Soon and Recently Launched.

Ending Soon:
Blue Falcon / GIF Coin
This is another one of those things that someone is going to have to explain to me. Guy also has another kickstarter campaign that was unsuccessful but features the same style of gorgeous art.

Gamer Tribes. Clothing for all gamers no matter how you play
Geometric patterns with what I'd guess is the Splatter filter from photoshop over the top?

Recently Launched:
Made of Awesome Designs: The 80s Run T-Shirts
Dumb t-shirts (watch this become a trend) with 80's movie references on them? Guy's daughter is adorable though :3:

The new and exciting UNDERGROUND INK ARMY clothing line
I'm pretty suspicious with some of these designs, the difference in art quality and the uh, edges on the last design are a bit iffy.

Swag of Holding - Geek Swag for the Masses!!!
Just... just watch the video. (warning: dumb t-shirts)
This is pretty gold from the risks and challenges section

Swag of Holding posted:

The simplest, yet most obvious obstacle that Swag of Holding might face is that nobody would be interested in buying our designs. In anticipation of this, we have over 150 designs in production, of these, at least 30 will be rolled out within the first 12 months of operation.

Tube Dice Search Engine and Video Dice Set
Sounds fun for all of 5 minutes.

The Dating Manual for Average Guys and Nerds
:geno::hf::reject:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

cool biRd pics posted:

The new and exciting UNDERGROUND INK ARMY clothing line
I'm pretty suspicious with some of these designs, the difference in art quality and the uh, edges on the last design are a bit iffy.

That's an understatement. It goes from a competent if dull logo to stuff they found on GIS and MS Paint editing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carecat posted:

That's an understatement. It goes from a competent if dull logo to stuff they found on GIS and MS Paint editing.

The Frankenstein's Monster mugshot is from this deviantart account, the crossed guns with roses/wings is an old myspace background favourite, the incongruous skulls above the crossed guns are stolen from a tattoo design by a guy called Milosch:

Etc, etc, etc.

Shameful.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Denis Dyack is apparently rather upset that his sketchy past is affecting his sketchy crowdfunding about that Kotaku article:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm6gGFLMr_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

OmniDesol posted:

Denis Dyack is apparently rather upset that his sketchy past is affecting his sketchy crowdfunding about that Kotaku article:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm6gGFLMr_o

God he is a loving tool. Just goes to show how full of poo poo he is. If the things in the Kotaku article were truly false he wouldn't be on the internet with this video. He would be suing them.