Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

der juicen posted:

Reading the comments on that review, I guess I don't "GET" Trek, and by god am I glad. Movie starts in five minutes and I know I'll enjoy it after reading spoilers in this thread.

No matter what you'll probably enjoy it. Hell, I enjoyed it. It's an enjoyable movie.

Doesn't change how I feel about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Alchenar posted:

That scene is the pinnacle of a whole film of actors doing magnificent things with scenes that simply shouldn't exist. Nimoy's reaction is fantastic. Doesn't change how stupid it is that rather than work things out for themselves they stop and skype old-Spock to ask for the answer. Old-Spock having all the future knowledge is easily escapable - have a line at the start of the film about how he's vowed never to speak of the future, have the Enterprise lose communications (also explaining why they aren't screaming for help on all frequencies over Earth), they chose to have the stupid cameo that detracts entirely from the tension of the new cast trying to work things out for themselves.

I called the whole calling Old Spock "Trek Support".

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I called the whole calling Old Spock "Trek Support".

Oh, I'm definitely stealing that one. Along with the Wrath of Ret-Kahn line I read somewhere else.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chewbacca posted:

Oh, I'm definitely stealing that one. Along with the Wrath of Ret-Kahn line I read somewhere else.

Help yourself, I was doing the math on that one for about 20 minutes.

edit: I also debated a line like "There's a weird probe headed for Earth!" "TO THE SPOCK-PHONE!"

Also, I hope when Into Darkness is on DVD or whatever someone makes a mashup of Shatner and Quinto screaming. That would be amazing.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

So what is Khan's motivation for deciding to transwarp to Qo'noS in particular? I know they said he wanted to go to the one place they couldn't go but in what way does that benefit him? He wasn't trying to start a war with the Klingons, was he? Wasn't he just trying to get his crew back? Why not just transwarp to an uninhabited planet or some other place? Wouldn't him being on Qo'noS really make it less likely for them to go after him when he really wants them to so he can get his people back?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Help yourself, I was doing the math on that one for about 20 minutes.

edit: I also debated a line like "There's a weird probe headed for Earth!" "TO THE SPOCK-PHONE!"

Also, I hope when Into Darkness is on DVD or whatever someone makes a mashup of Shatner and Quinto screaming. That would be amazing.

"You need to execute a time warp...but trust me on this, leave Chekov behind. Don't let any Arabs go on away missions, either."

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

pyrotek posted:

So what is Khan's motivation for deciding to transwarp to Qo'noS in particular? I know they said he wanted to go to the one place they couldn't go but in what way does that benefit him? He wasn't trying to start a war with the Klingons, was he? Wasn't he just trying to get his crew back? Why not just transwarp to an uninhabited planet or some other place? Wouldn't him being on Qo'noS really make it less likely for them to go after him when he really wants them to so he can get his people back?

It's a good point, but I think Khan didn't know that Admiral Robocop wasn't going to be actually using the torpedoes against him and/or that they would be on the ship chasing him - might have been a temporary reprieve to gather his strength since Kirk destroyed his ship. It's flimsy, but that's how I justified it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"You need to execute a time warp...but trust me on this, leave Chekov behind. Don't let any Arabs go on away missions, either."

"Oh, and there's a planet called Nimbus III, you might just want to avoid....actually, just bomb the sucker."

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just got back from seeing this and thought it was pretty awesome. I loved the little call backs from Section 31, Mudd, Nurse Chapel, and Sulu in the Captain's seat :allears:. I can see why longtime Trek fans would hate it though. The focus on slick effects, frantic pacing, and action-adventure over exposition into the nature of Humanity and it's place among the galaxy is pretty much the antithesis of traditional Trek. Although I guess the heavy handed allegory to drone strikes is sticking to the formula.

Reading spoilers ahead of time, I was relieved that they resurrected Kirk right away. I was dreading having to sit through a godawful "The Search for Kirk." The KHAAAAN line was downright cheesy, but I loved cut to Khan just missing the Enterprise with the dreadnought and crashing it into San Fran. Here was a dude that was supposed to have the ~master plan~ and instead he was outsmarted, thought his entire crew just got blown up, and finally snapped. The fight with Spock on top of the hovercar was great too. After taunting Spock that he didn't have it in him to crush the bones of another person, seeing his arm get snapped got a little fist pump from me.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Avynte posted:

"The Search for Kirk."

Oh thank god I wasn't the only one who thought that. Actually, I muttered aloud "If the next film is gonna be 'The Search for Kirk' I am outta here."

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Hewlett posted:

It's a good point, but I think Khan didn't know that Admiral Robocop wasn't going to be actually using the torpedoes against him and/or that they would be on the ship chasing him - might have been a temporary reprieve to gather his strength since Kirk destroyed his ship. It's flimsy, but that's how I justified it.

I just don't think I'd want to regroup in the middle of a planet full of warriors that hate your species, even if they are such bad shots that you can stand completely in the open for a couple minutes and single-handedly kill a ship full of them.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Having just gotten out, I guess that I liked it. The pacing was haphazard as all get out, and the movie just sort of ends with no real resolution, but I enjoyed it well enough.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Just saw the film. Read the spoilers in this thread beforehand so I knew what was coming, and that probably helped, because the parts that I was angriest at were rationalized here, and though there are still some parts I really dislike, I'm not brimming with fresh nerd-rage now.

Regardless of my problems with the film, which I won't talk about since they've been discussed to death, it was definitely pretty and fun, and felt adequately paced despite its length - it didn't feel like it dragged at any point to me. Definitely don't regret watching it, and I'm very excited for the next film in the series.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

monster on a stick posted:

The "brought down by single-minded purpose" would have helped if that is what brought Khan down. They get him in ST2 because he lacks "three dimensional thinking" for the space battle; this movie just had an action set piece. All the Spock-Spock talk gives us is Old Spock reacting to Khan's name with :staredog:
Actually, it did. In fact it was the major theme of the movie which honestly was just a bit heavy handed in how it was implemented because it gets mentioned at least five to six different times in the movie. Also, god dam the engineering section somehow bugged the every living daylight out of me. I sure as hell didn't notice that the engineering section was a brewery in the first movie but for some insanely weird reason I instantly and correctly picked up on fusion reactor in the second one. :psyduck:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Avynte posted:

I can see why longtime Trek fans would hate it though. The focus on slick effects, frantic pacing, and action-adventure over exposition into the nature of Humanity and it's place among the galaxy is pretty much the antithesis of traditional Trek.

If that was the case, Trek fans wouldn't really like any of the movies. Trek series and Trek movies have always been distinctly different in the stories they tell, mostly because movies are expected to have bigger and flashier stories. You'd never in a million years get a Trek movie like The Inner Light, even though that is one of the best Trek stories around. Because with a series you can mix the slower stories in with the more action oriented stuff throughout a season. With a movie you have one chance every few years to get a story out there with as broad of an appeal as possible.

JJTrek 09 was very successful in appealing to a very broad audience, and these movies are exactly what this franchise needs, especially if we ever want to see another TV show again (where we will finally get our "real Trek" back).

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 18, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DFu4ever posted:

If that was the case, Trek fans wouldn't really like any of the movies. Trek series and Trek movies have always been distinctly different in the stories they tell, mostly because movies are expected to have bigger and flashier stories. You'd never in a million years get a Trek movie like The Inner Light, even though that is one of the best Trek stories around. Because with a series you can mix the slower stories in with the more action oriented stuff throughout a season. With a movie you have one chance every few years to get a story out there with as broad of an appeal as possible.

I suspect that many Trek fans were very young when they saw the films for the first time which explains things like why the "even Treks are good" rule includes First Contact.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Avynte posted:

I just got back from seeing this and thought it was pretty awesome. I loved the little call backs from Section 31, Mudd, Nurse Chapel, and Sulu in the Captain's seat :allears:. I can see why longtime Trek fans would hate it though. The focus on slick effects, frantic pacing, and action-adventure over exposition into the nature of Humanity and it's place among the galaxy is pretty much the antithesis of traditional Trek. Although I guess the heavy handed allegory to drone strikes is sticking to the formula.

Reading spoilers ahead of time, I was relieved that they resurrected Kirk right away. I was dreading having to sit through a godawful "The Search for Kirk." The KHAAAAN line was downright cheesy, but I loved cut to Khan just missing the Enterprise with the dreadnought and crashing it into San Fran. Here was a dude that was supposed to have the ~master plan~ and instead he was outsmarted, thought his entire crew just got blown up, and finally snapped. The fight with Spock on top of the hovercar was great too. After taunting Spock that he didn't have it in him to crush the bones of another person, seeing his arm get snapped got a little fist pump from me.

Could it be that some examination of the nature of humanity and it's place in the galaxy (and the ideological basis of that 'placing') is found in the "slick effects and frenetic pacing"?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

monster on a stick posted:

I think the scream echoing in space, with the moon (and volume of the scream) slowly receding worked really well. It wasn't JUST the scream.

I don't think Spock yelling "KHAAAANNN!" works because we just had a very emotional moment with Kirk dying that is supposed to echo the mirror scene in TWOK. The audience is supposed to feel sadness, especially if they saw TWOK. Then Spock yells the comeback line and at least to me, it didn't feel right. The original line was pretty cheesy, and having a cheesy scream after a sad scene ruins the impact of both. If this was done differently - say, showing a clearly distraught Spock leaving Engineering, then increasing angry (losing control of his Vulcan side) as he finds Khan on Earth and orders himself beamed down. He turns, sees a figure running - and yells a battlecry of "KHAAAAAAAAAN!" Cheesy but now it's the start of an action sequence, and there would have been more of a buildup.

I agree that it works. Like I said, it is one of my favorite movie moments, but its over the top theatricality is silly.

As for this movie, I felt it was a great capstone to the scene. Quinto delivered a great yell; Spock has just realized how much Kirk means to him and is once again feeling those emotions he vowed not to feel. It's the second best delivery behind Pine's "Spock, I'm frightened," and the two bookend and solidify the great pathos of that scene, which I felt was just as resonant as the original.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Danger posted:

Could it be that some examination of the nature of humanity and it's place in the galaxy (and the ideological basis of that 'placing') is found in the "slick effects and frenetic pacing"?

Sort of? But that's the problem. This movie has "Themes," like Kirk acknowledging and getting over his own egotism, bit it doesn't have much in the way of "Ideas," despite having plenty of opportunity. It's not that its stupid (at least in my opinion) it's just that its not smart. Take the 9/11 imagery, for example. It's recognizably in there, but the movie doesn't rally use it to say anything.

PeterWeller posted:

As for this movie, I felt it was a great capstone to the scene. Quinto delivered a great yell; Spock has just realized how much Kirk means to him and is once again feeling those emotions he vowed not to feel. It's the second best delivery behind Pine's "Spock, I'm frightened," and the two bookend and solidify the great pathos of that scene, which I felt was just as resonant as the original.

Just gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that one, it was easily my least favorite moment of the whole film. I found it so immersion shattering that I think I actually inadvertently yelled "seriously?!" at the screen as it happened. And I'd be inclined to agree with your read of the scene proceeding it for the most part, which really did get to me. But hey, to each their own.

Chewbacca fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 18, 2013

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
We're all forgetting the most important issue here.

Who was the girl with the white hair on the bridge of the Enterprise because I think I'm in love.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Chewbacca posted:

Sort of? But that's the problem. This movie has "Themes," like Kirk acknowledging and getting over his own egotism, bit it doesn't have much in the way of "Ideas," despite having plenty of opportunity. It's not that its stupid (at least in my opinion) it's just that its not smart. Take the 9/11 imagery, for example. It's recognizably in there, but the movie doesn't rally use it to say anything.

It rather explicitly states that revenge and war are not good answers to terrorism.
It's interesting because this movie is very strongly about morality. Kirk and Co. realize that breaking the rules can be okay when it's the morally right thing to do, but that breaking the rules for revenge is the morally wrong thing to do. It's not a particularly deep or intellectual movie, but the ideas are there.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
A lot of the criticisms against that shot are people who are comparing it to the original and saying it sucks because the original was so good, instead of actually looking at how that shot was set up and debating it on its own merits. I haven't read one online critique from a critic who has not seen TWOK who thought that was a poo poo scene. And actually, I haven't read any critique from any reliable critic who thought that was a poorly set up scene. I haven't read that many articles though

Chewbacca posted:

Your example isn't a 'Theme' either. That's called 'character development'.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 18, 2013

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

Daric posted:

We're all forgetting the most important issue here.

Who was the girl with the white hair on the bridge of the Enterprise because I think I'm in love.

You and me both, man :allears:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Boy howdy, over on io9, the main complaint boils down to either "NOT MY TREK!" or "Huffuhwah they can't do [insert technobabble] because that doesn't work." I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I absolutely love the cast to death, good amounts of levity and seriousness, and in general I enjoy the Trek setting/universe. I guess I have the position of not being so heavily invested in the characters/mythology that everything clicks relatively well. I await the next one with eager hunger.

Also, was that an android on the bridge. There was a guy with some electrical thing on the back of his head and he spoke in a strange way. Really enjoy how they portray the aliens in the movies, too.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Dirk Digglet posted:

You and me both, man :allears:

I think her name is Jacqueline King.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Snak posted:

It rather explicitly states that revenge and war are not good answers to terrorism.
There are actually two themes. One which is what you kind of misstated. It involves the fact that terrorism and war are not good answers to injustices. Because Khan arguably was in the same position that Kirk was but one devolved into terrorism and one rose out of the darkness despite the fact that he actually was contemplating a literal act of terrorism. The other one was that there were some really strong relationship throughout the whole movie. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it beyond part of it Kirk's egotism stemmed from him considering his crew an actual family and that I don't think he could deal with loosing them at the start of the movie.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

der juicen posted:

Also, was that an android on the bridge. There was a guy with some electrical thing on the back of his head and he spoke in a strange way. Really enjoy how they portray the aliens in the movies, too.

I loved that guy. I really want to know more about him.

I asked this question many pages ago, but no one really answered: why did the Enterprise lose power and plunge to Earth the moment it did? Did the power systems just fail at that momment? It had been a while since they took any damage, why didn't it happen earlier? Nitpicky, I'm sure.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I'm not a star trek fan and the most I've ever seen of the Star Trek universe is one of the older episodes, 2-3 segments of TNG at like 4 am on Spike, and those TNG blooper reels. Basically I know enough to get the dumb rear end ham-handed references they interjected into it like spock screaming khaaan.

Everything about this movie bored me to tears. I haven't seen the first one (of the modern set) but I suspect even if I had I still wouldn't care about the characters. The acting was flat, the action was flatter, I found the most interesting part the beginning up until the title card came up. (And even then the scenes with Kirk and that doctor guy were just cgi flashing across the scene faster than my eyes could keep up).

The characterization and dialogue were the worst parts for me. This movie seems to think you're a big Star Trek fan and know the characters intimately, and I do not. So I just really don't give a poo poo about any of the characters and I'd just often wander off when there was most of the dialogue. For example, the scene near the end where kirk dies kind of I zoned out and came back to Spock squeezing Khan's neck. It was clear I missed absolutely nothing at all and I just didn't care.

This is overall one of the most boring movies I've seen in recent years to be honest.

Although goddamn, the previews preceding this movie were probably the worst set I have ever seen in my life.

E: Additional complaint I just remembered: If I ever hear Simon Pegg use that god awful scottish accent again I will physically remove my ears. It's truly awful

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Dodecalypse posted:

I'm not a star trek fan and the most I've ever seen of the Star Trek universe is one of the older episodes, 2-3 segments of TNG at like 4 am on Spike, and those TNG blooper reels. Basically I know enough to get the dumb rear end ham-handed references they interjected into it like spock screaming khaaan.

Everything about this movie bored me to tears. I haven't seen the first one (of the modern set) but I suspect even if I had I still wouldn't care about the characters. The acting was flat, the action was flatter, I found the most interesting part the beginning up until the title card came up. (And even then the scenes with Kirk and that doctor guy were just cgi flashing across the scene faster than my eyes could keep up).

The characterization and dialogue were the worst parts for me. This movie seems to think you're a big Star Trek fan and know the characters intimately, and I do not. So I just really don't give a poo poo about any of the characters and I'd just often wander off when there was most of the dialogue. For example, the scene near the end where kirk dies kind of I zoned out and came back to Spock squeezing Khan's neck. It was clear I missed absolutely nothing at all and I just didn't care.

This is overall one of the most boring movies I've seen in recent years to be honest.

Although goddamn, the previews preceding this movie were probably the worst set I have ever seen in my life.

E: Additional complaint I just remembered: If I ever hear Simon Pegg use that god awful scottish accent again I will physically remove my ears. It's truly awful

Yeah dude, the second movie in the series is going to presume you've seen the first one. You know, the one where they introduced the characters you're supposed to know intimately.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Snak posted:

It's interesting because this movie is very strongly about morality. Kirk and Co. realize that breaking the rules can be okay when it's the morally right thing to do, but that breaking the rules for revenge is the morally wrong thing to do. It's not a particularly deep or intellectual movie, but the ideas are there.

Alright, ya got me. I didn't think that statement through enough.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it beyond part of it Kirk's egotism stemmed from him considering his crew an actual family and that I don't think he could deal with loosing them at the start of the movie.

I love how at the beginning Kirk brought up the fact that he hadn't lost one person under his command to Pike. Then later, when the splodey spaceship on spaceship action happens, we have extended shots of little crew members getting blown up and sucked into space. Not like it ruined the movie or anything but shouldn't that moment have been a bigger deal for Kirk? I guess his whole "crew as family" biz is more "bridge-crew as family."

Chewbacca fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 18, 2013

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Daric posted:

Yeah dude, the second movie in the series is going to presume you've seen the first one. You know, the one where they introduced the characters you're supposed to know intimately.

that's not what I meant. It's pretty easy to glean what happened in the first movie with the characters by the way they acted towards each other and the like.

But i mean, having absolutely no characterization at all is pretty bad. I'd understand if it was a direct series like Harry Potter or some poo poo, but it's just another random event in the life of Star Trek.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

I don't think Star Trek is for you if you jump into the sequel to the reboot. Also, Man of Steel trailer more than makes up for the terrible other trailers. And Anchorman 2 blurb.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

der juicen posted:

I don't think Star Trek is for you if you jump into the sequel to the reboot. Also, Man of Steel trailer more than makes up for the terrible other trailers. And Anchorman 2 blurb.

Yeah I got man of steel (awesome), pacific rim (even more awesome), and Fast6 which I am really excited for.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Daric posted:

Yeah I got man of steel (awesome), pacific rim (even more awesome), and Fast6 which I am really excited for.

I got Man of Steel, Thor, Anchorman, Elysium ( which looks insane). The only one that looked absolutely horrible was World War Z.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

bobkatt013 posted:

I got Man of Steel, Thor, Anchorman, Elysium ( which looks insane). The only one that looked absolutely horrible was World War Z.

I got those with exception of Thor, but add Ender's Game and Despicable Me 2. I was hoping for a full Anchorman 2 trailer though. :saddowns:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

der juicen posted:

I got those with exception of Thor, but add Ender's Game and Despicable Me 2. I was hoping for a full Anchorman 2 trailer though. :saddowns:

Oh I got Ender's Game too and just did not care for it due to my deep deep hatred of the author. Also Harrison Ford who looks completely bored.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Chewbacca posted:

Just gonna have to agree to disagree with you on that one, it was easily my least favorite moment of the whole film. I found it so immersion shattering that I think I actually inadvertently yelled "seriously?!" at the screen as it happened. And I'd be inclined to agree with your read of the scene proceeding it for the most part, which really did get to me. But hey, to each their own.

Fair enough on agreeing to disagree about that scene. It really affected me and brought tears to my eyes and didn't make me giggle one bit, but affective reactions are personal and nothing to argue about.

But I have to disagree about the lack of ideas. The film makes an explicit condemnation of post-911 post-Bush America and reminds not just Kirk but all of us that we are to be "explorers, not soldiers." We're supposed to be the Starfleet our ideals compel us to be, not the one we may feel inevitably drawn towards because of the depravities of certain actors and the realities of a complex world. I feel that is the same kind of idea that has always made Trek compelling and meaningful.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Does anyone feel like there was just a lack of actual ship combat in this movie? I was really really let down by it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Chewbacca posted:

I love how at the beginning Kirk brought up the fact that he hadn't lost one person under his command to Pike. Then later, when the splodey spaceship on spaceship action happens, we have extended shots of little crew members getting blown up and sucked into space. Not like it ruined the movie or anything but shouldn't that moment have been a bigger deal for Kirk? I guess his whole "crew as family" biz is more "bridge-crew as family."

I thought this was handled pretty expertly, when Kirk was trying to get to the engine room and he glimpses two crew members fall to their deaths. It's a blink and you'll miss it moment but the look on Kirk's face says it all. Honestly there's a lot I don't like about Pine's portrayal of Kirk but he nailed some pretty emotional stuff. "I'm frightened, Spock."

Oh and the Anchorman blurb was dumb as hell. I realize it wasn't from the movie proper but it was so forced and unfunny that it doesn't give me much hope. Remaining cautiously optimistic about Ender's Game, though.

e: Ha ha, Despicable Me 2. Never thought I'd see the day where an Eminem song was used to promote a children's film, but here we are, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I thought this was handled pretty expertly, when Kirk was trying to get to the engine room and he glimpses two crew members fall to their deaths. It's a blink and you'll miss it moment but the look on Kirk's face says it all. Honestly there's a lot I don't like about Pine's portrayal of Kirk but he nailed some pretty emotional stuff. "I'm frightened, Spock."

Oh and the Anchorman blurb was dumb as hell. I realize it wasn't from the movie proper but it was so forced and unfunny that it doesn't give me much hope. Remaining cautiously optimistic about Ender's Game, though.

I have a bad bad feeling about Anchorman 2. I have a feeling that its going to be the exact same movie, and sole purpose it to create more catchphrases.

• Locked thread