Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

McDragon posted:

I'm just glad I managed to whack the online Ur-Dragon in a grace period a long time ago, and ended up with everything I wanted. Even got the mask I wanted most. Of course, since DA everything I got from that is now outclassed. Not in looking spiffy though. Siggy mask is still best at that.

I guess Ice King still uses the greaves in Bitterblack. I think I'm going to forgo him having a big blue robe and a crown when I'm in there still. But on the mainland, Ice King all the way.

When/where's the earliest I can find these items to complete my Ice King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
What's the absolute earliest level I should be trying the beginning of Bitterblack? I think somewhere said like level 10+, but I imagine that's probably a poor idea.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'd say 50

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Lotish posted:

I want to be a minotaur. What does it freaking take to get a Tormentor/Persecutor's Mask to drop?

I've killed at least 30 eliminators and only gotten the minotaur head to drop once. The wiki says you can get it from Bitterblack Armor level 1 too, but I don't know the chance of that.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

CVagts posted:

What's the absolute earliest level I should be trying the beginning of Bitterblack? I think somewhere said like level 10+, but I imagine that's probably a poor idea.

I just managed to snake in as far as the Warrior's Respite starting at level 20, though I needed throwblasts and explosive barrels for a couple enemies I was too low level to damage at all. Got what I came for: Ring of Dessication :getin:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
loving pawns is guardian, goddammit. :argh:

Someone help me with some quests here, the "they're masterworks all" guy wants an idol, no clue where it is and I have no quest indicator either.

The other is some sort of meeting involving the salvation cult and some skeleton scourge, the quest marker takes me to a bridge near the slum areas but there's nothing here, not on the roofs, not below, I've walked the place several times and nothing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

Someone help me with some quests here, the "they're masterworks all" guy wants an idol, no clue where it is and I have no quest indicator either.

The other is some sort of meeting involving the salvation cult and some skeleton scourge, the quest marker takes me to a bridge near the slum areas but there's nothing here, not on the roofs, not below, I've walked the place several times and nothing.
Well, that first quest will stay for the entire game, and you will run across some idols just during other quests so don't worry about it.

As or the second, I know you need to observe some people talking under the bridge, but maybe it's only at night? I don't remember.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

For the first one, there are several Idols throughout the game. There's two Bronze Idols (one in the Witch's Hut and the other in the Dragonforged's cave), one Silver Idol (quest reward, don't remember which one), one Gold Idol (do Fournival's quests and perform very well leading his daughter around), and also Cursed Idols (one around the Abby, can make more).

Carrying Idols can reduce prices in shops. The Gold Idol reduces prices the most, but giving it away also gives you the best items in stock. Making a forgery of an Idol will maintain the same price lowering effects, while giving away a forgery will complete the quest but won't expand the shopkeepers inventory. The best scenario is to forge the Gold Idol and give away the real one.

As for the other question, try again at night time.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

I just managed to snake in as far as the Warrior's Respite starting at level 20, though I needed throwblasts and explosive barrels for a couple enemies I was too low level to damage at all. Got what I came for: Ring of Dessication :getin:

Yeah, if you're a class that can use a bow, you can grab the moonbeam gem from there and then grab the longbow/shortbow and have an awesome bow that will last you from level 10 until the endgame. Or I guess you could grab the adept's cloak, if you're into that.

It's too bad that the dragon pope can't be cheesed, since the other two bosses can both be beaten at really low levels. I want to get that level 25 kill of daimon so badly.

Warm Inca Lips
Feb 17, 2012
The dragon pope is super allergic to Surging Light tomes. Slap him with at least two and he's much easier to deal with.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Warm Inca Lips posted:

The dragon pope is super allergic to Surging Light tomes. Slap him with at least two and he's much easier to deal with.

I love shield launching my pawns into liches and poo poo. They fly up and slap them in the face and he falls down.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gildiss posted:

I love shield launching my pawns into liches and poo poo. They fly up and slap them in the face and he falls down.
Oh, that actually knocks them down? I figured it would do lame damage to them and be a waste.

Speaking of things that take next to zero damage from physical attacks, I'm working on the spectral armor now. A boss made entirely out of phantasm stuff is not such a fun thing. Even my MA attacks don't seem to do much to it. At level 120. Holy poo poo.

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009
I got jack of the original DD after I could not find a way to get through A Fortress Besieged, even just ignoring most of the enemies and running past them didn't work. I also once fell off the edge after I got up to persuing the fleeing goblin. I did try changing the difficulty level also.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, that actually knocks them down? I figured it would do lame damage to them and be a waste.

Speaking of things that take next to zero damage from physical attacks, I'm working on the spectral armor now. A boss made entirely out of phantasm stuff is not such a fun thing. Even my MA attacks don't seem to do much to it. At level 120. Holy poo poo.

If you've got Grand Ingle, it wrecks his poo poo. Even basic staff attacks do pretty well if they're holy enchanted.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

God drat Ur-Dragon is such a great idea, executed in such a terrible manner.

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm not saying you should do this, but you can kill that guy by luring him onto the ledge above the arena and staying close enough to him that he tries to attack you. Eventually he'll fall off, it takes off more than half his total lifebar (so like, 5 dots or something), phantasm or not.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just killed the online Ur Dragon!

360 version is now in grace period, easy kills for the Ur Dragon for the next bit.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

When/where's the earliest I can find these items to complete my Ice King?

I'm not sure entirely sure, sorry. When I decided to make one I just went for a rummage in my storage to find what made the best fit. I knew being a packrat would pay off eventually.

I can give an estimation though. I think it's a Sage's Hood (which is from postgame Everfall apparently), and the bluest robe I could find. Everything else gets covered by the robe pretty much. Oh, and a Blue Longkilt can make it look like a bigger robe, I think those are from Madeline's shop.

And in yesterday's DD silliness, I found out that Phantasms can fall to their doom in Soulflayer Canyon. Unfortunately, it was while I was trying to see if that Wounded Fury weapon was any good against them. Couldn't even hit the fuckers with it. I suspect it probably only really works for a Mystic Knight, and that they're supposed to use a magic skill with it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait until you get the quest to fight two of them at once in the Catacombs. :unsmigghh:

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Tim Chuma posted:

I got jack of the original DD after I could not find a way to get through A Fortress Besieged, even just ignoring most of the enemies and running past them didn't work. I also once fell off the edge after I got up to persuing the fleeing goblin. I did try changing the difficulty level also.

I failed that quest when all the guards died fighting the cyclops (or ogres? can't recall) after opening the gate, but the game let me just go report the outcome to the guy in Gran Soren and complete the quest that way.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
So I just started playing this and had a couple of questions:

1) How do I change my main pawn's inclination to be a primary healer? Do I just keep spamming "help?"

2) Should I give Caxton the Gold Idol for the inventory upgrade or do I keep it for myself to get the 30% discount?

3) What's the best elemental weapon buff to give to my main pawn? So far fire seems to be strong against most of the stuff I'm facing (currently level 18 and just finished the Everfall quest)

CVagts posted:

A friend of mine told me that you should have the Black Cat guy make a forgery of the Gold Idol, but make sure to give the GENUINE one to Caxton for the upgrade, because the forgery will give you the discount but NOT the upgrade.

That makes sense. Thanks.

teknetik fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 18, 2013

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

teknetik posted:

2) Should I give Caxton the Gold Idol for the inventory upgrade or do I keep it for myself to get the 30% discount?

A friend of mine told me that you should have the Black Cat guy make a forgery of the Gold Idol, but make sure to give the GENUINE one to Caxton for the upgrade, because the forgery will give you the discount but NOT the upgrade.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
1) Best way is to go to the recruitment camp (where the hydra attack is at the beginning) and talk to the old dude by the rift stone and buy some medicant potions, these directly change your pawns inclinations

2) Make a forgery first, then give the gold idol to whoever you choose (cost around 190k iirc)

3) I think fire is the best overall until post-game or BBI, after that I don't know

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I had forgotten to ask-is there any limit to RCs you can get from getting rented?

I haven't been around for a week and a half and won't be until the second week of June. Before I left, Amon was getting about 300k-1m RCs a day from getting rented between Goons, my other friends, and a lot of random Japanese people. I'm sort of wondering what will happen when I log in again come end of our US visit if he still ended up getting rented a lot. Do RCs over a certain amount disappear, or can they just keep going and going?

I think I'm going to set up my other couple of pawns on different accounts when I get back as well that will stay a more reasonable level for mid level folks who don't go nuts grinding to max level.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Finally encountered that double dire wyvern room. I am willing to go on record as saying this is the biggest bullshit encounter in the game. A single levin bolt oneshots me. Granted, I've only got a little shy of 3k hp, but goddamn.

also, elite lantern plus prolongation augment equals never running out of fuel? been a couple in-game days at half-empty, now...

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 18, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Finished the main quest last night with two goonpawns that made things pretty easy (Randomhajile's and SA_LoG's). It was a nice surprise to me that all my equipment got dragonforged. I had no idea that was going to happen.

Anyway, the Everfall is pretty cool and I'm looking forward to exploring more of BI now that I have some nice gear and Atalanta actually goes out and beats up enemies.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

teknetik posted:

So I just started playing this and had a couple of questions:

1) How do I change my main pawn's inclination to be a primary healer? Do I just keep spamming "help?"

3) What's the best elemental weapon buff to give to my main pawn? So far fire seems to be strong against most of the stuff I'm facing (currently level 18 and just finished the Everfall quest)

That makes sense. Thanks.

There's a guy in the wooden encampment near Cassardis, in the tent with the rift stone and trainer, that sells tonics to override your pawns behaviours. You need to buy a few duplicates of the behaviour you want (I think Medicant is what you want in this case) and then feed them to your pawn.

No idea about the idols. I've given my pawn flame enchanted daggers and she absolutely wrecks faces :)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

tooooooo bad posted:

All you need to do is delete your DA save. If your DD save is still on your console, and it should be because Dark Arisen doesn't automatically delete it or anything, you will see the message about the bonuses again the next time you load DA.

That more or less did it. From the XBox dashboard, went to settings > storage > Dragon's Dogma files, killed the DA save, left the DD save. It gave me the dialogue it did at the start just like when I first ran DA. Instead of continuing, I just chose new game, and it had all the previous-save-file perks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

There's a guy in the wooden encampment near Cassardis, in the tent with the rift stone and trainer, that sells tonics to override your pawns behaviours. You need to buy a few duplicates of the behaviour you want (I think Medicant is what you want in this case) and then feed them to your pawn.

I love you so much right now. :swoon:

My pawn is no longer a guardian YAY

Can I switch the secondary inclination?

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Still looking to trade pawns with someone for some mutual RC gains. My dude's a level 152 challenger, scather warrior with a big rear end hammer and junk, so shoot PennyAwful on PSN a message if you're up for it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

I love you so much right now. :swoon:

My pawn is no longer a guardian YAY

Can I switch the secondary inclination?
It's just the next highest inclination they have, so drinking some smaller number of those potions than you did to get the top inclination should set the inclination you want there.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Ha, so, in Bitterblack, I came across an elder ogre and was having a horrible time. My pawns kept shouting stuff about lightning, and I kept thinking I had none. Then I tried out ricochet hunter and that thing tore him up. Bitterback is a lot of fun, and is kind of terrifying to wander through not knowing what you're going to stumble into.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I've invested a few days into this Dark Arisen file without the original DD (or the import bonuses), but a friend of mine can lend me his copy so that I could get a savefile for all the fancy import bonuses. Are the bonuses going to pop up on my in-progress Dark Arisen file, or am I going to have to wipe it out and start all over in DA in order to get the benefits?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One of my pawns just attacked an exploding barrel and agrooed the entire female thief camp. :cripes:

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.

CVagts posted:

So I've invested a few days into this Dark Arisen file without the original DD (or the import bonuses), but a friend of mine can lend me his copy so that I could get a savefile for all the fancy import bonuses. Are the bonuses going to pop up on my in-progress Dark Arisen file, or am I going to have to wipe it out and start all over in DA in order to get the benefits?

You'll have to erase your DA save and start fresh, sadly.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Where are the best places to put portcrystals in DA?

Thinking of near the shadowfort (the camp maybe), seem to be travelling that road a lot at the moment

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

ClownSyndrome posted:

Thinking of near the shadowfort (the camp maybe), seem to be travelling that road a lot at the moment

If you put one in that area, I recommend the healing spring.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ClownSyndrome posted:

I have mine by the shadow fort, by bloodwater beach, up north near the spring, at the waycastle (which is not far geographically but is is a slog to get there), at Bluemoon tower, and at the EXIT of the forest where Selene is.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Man, I was starting to get worried about conqueror periapts, but then it turns out Fornival has been stockpiling them for basically forever, and he's selling at cost since I saved his rear end from prison!

And Camille sells high explosives and sundries.

Dunno what I'm gonna do about Vims, other than farm the Everfall for them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They got rid of the Ur-dragon riftstone at Cassardis? That sucks! Anyway, I finally managed to grab the right ledge for him in the everfall and I got his cutscene, he flew down, I charged up a magick cannon

...and he flew away. What a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

a kitten posted:

They got rid of the Ur-dragon riftstone at Cassardis? That sucks! Anyway, I finally managed to grab the right ledge for him in the everfall and I got his cutscene, he flew down, I charged up a magick cannon

...and he flew away. What a jerk.
No, it's definitely there, just like it was in vanilla DD. Only on NG+ of course.

• Locked thread