Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

henpod posted:

I've not really listened to much Daft Punk, but got this album because everyone's been talking about it. I absolutely love it and can't stop listening. It's odd, because I mostly listen to Metal music, but these songs are just so cool. I love them all, apart from Motherboard. Something about robot vocals over funk and live drums just really works for me. I am definitely going to be exploring their back catalogue.

Hey I'm a bit of a metalhead too. If you dig this album I'd suggest going Discovery->Homework->Human After All->Alive2007 (while checking out youtube for clips of what the live show looked like)->Whatever else, keeping in mind the back catalog is going to be very different than RAM. Also watch Interstella 5555 sometime, which is an album length music video/voltron-ish cartoon set to Discovery.

Alive2007 is the quintessential career celebration live album. It's so loving good it made people realize their most hated album (HAA) is actually a great album when you add a few things.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Alive2007 is the quintessential career celebration live album. It's so loving good it made people realize their most hated album (HAA) is actually a great album when you add a few things.

This is such bizarre "praise" though. It depends on an acknowledging of HAA's failings. "Hey that kind of rubbishy half-baked album was actually pretty good once it was developed properly!" (as long as by "developed properly" you accept that means combining it with existing albums; it can only be understood in the terms of its superior predecessors apparently.)

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
My reaction to this album is I want Nile Rodgers to make a solo record where he collaborates with a wide spectrum of electronic artists in different styles with his signature guitar playing driving the album. That was my main take away.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm on the same page there. The whole idea of trying to bust out an album fast and dirty was stupid, and doubly so without any explanation, but there really is something about the HAA samples in A2007 that makes that album seem less like a big failure and more like something just incomplete. It's still stupid, it doesn't become any better on it's own, but it has a bit more context and a second life.

Edit: I guess I didn't mean to say it becomes a great album, it became a major chunk of a great live album and found a better home for itself than "solo album".

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 18, 2013

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Datasmurf posted:

Woohoo! Got my vinyl today, and it sound so good!

e: Bonus pic:

The thing in the front contains paper stuff to make a helmet, probably like the ones in Wee Waa.
I'll put it together and put it on a bust somewhere in the house. Classy up the room a bit.

:negative: why didn't I buy the vinyl instead of the CD oof

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

"something incomplete" was always how I saw HAA. They had some great loops, they just didn't make any sense of them.

Who didn't grin ear to ear at the opening minute of Robot Rock?

Who didn't sigh when they realised that's the entire drat song?

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

squarerandom posted:

:negative: why didn't I buy the vinyl instead of the CD oof

it's not too late! I got the vinyl mostly for the full sized artwork.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

mints posted:

it's not too late! I got the vinyl mostly for the full sized artwork.

Did the same thing just a second ago, for mostly the same reason. My turntable sucks, this might make me replace it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Is there an actual audio benefit to buying a vinyl album or is it just for kicks?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Al-Saqr posted:

Is there an actual audio benefit to buying a vinyl album or is it just for kicks?

Absolutely. The CD is brickwalled, but not too bad overall. The vinyl has much better dynamic range.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

quadratic posted:

Absolutely. The CD is brickwalled, but not too bad overall. The vinyl has much better dynamic range.

:stonk:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I can confirm that. I've heard high quality vinyl rips and compared them to the CD and there's more breathing room for all the instruments. And Contact has more wiggle room and doesn't feel as crunchy as it does on the CD, which is nice. It gives the whole thing a bit of a warmer feeling, for sure, which fits in nicely with the type of music this is.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Popcorn posted:

This is such bizarre "praise" though. It depends on an acknowledging of HAA's failings. "Hey that kind of rubbishy half-baked album was actually pretty good once it was developed properly!" (as long as by "developed properly" you accept that means combining it with existing albums; it can only be understood in the terms of its superior predecessors apparently.)

I remember reading something shortly after Human After All that said that they basically banged out Human After All out in about 3 months.

quadratic posted:

It's so warm. :allears:

e: I was wrong, they made it human after all in 6 weeks.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't mind that the album was made in 6 weeks, but not telling anyone that kind of pertinent detail caused a lot of confusion, and I'm pretty sure in one of the pitchfork articles Thomas said he regretted stonewalling the press on that one.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
hahahaha Diplo:

quote:

"This daft punk album would probably be really good to take drugs and listen to on a rainy bridge across the gulf of mexico but I dnt know ... Reminds me of when I was 19 really high and listened to kid a over and over again but I don't know if yung kids will get It ... I think the song with julian casablancas would be better with marky mark walbergs character from boogie nights doing the vocals ... The song with todd edwards makes me feel like I'm alone at waffle house and the jukebox is broken and only micheal mcdonald plays out of it ... Motherboard sounds like a coked up austrian guy working on chariots of fire soundtrack then got fired but I gently caress with it."

-- Diplo reviews Random Access Memories, also saying that he wants to listen to the song with Panda Bear 10 times in a row, the album makes him hate L.A

http://pitchfork.com/news/50742-echo-chamber-diplo-reviews-daft-punk/

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Phone posted:

It's so warm. :allears:

haha, not sure if you're being sarcastic, but this isn't one of those OMGVINYL4EVER things. The releases are mastered quite differently.

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

henpod posted:

I've not really listened to much Daft Punk, but got this album because everyone's been talking about it. I absolutely love it and can't stop listening. It's odd, because I mostly listen to Metal music, but these songs are just so cool. I love them all, apart from Motherboard. Something about robot vocals over funk and live drums just really works for me. I am definitely going to be exploring their back catalogue.

Oh man you get to hear Discovery for the first time, I'm so jealous.

Phone posted:

I remember reading something shortly after Human After All that said that they basically banged out Human After All out in about 3 months.

Psh. It wouldn't surprise me.

Mannex fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 18, 2013

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't mind that the album was made in 6 weeks, but not telling anyone that kind of pertinent detail caused a lot of confusion, and I'm pretty sure in one of the pitchfork articles Thomas said he regretted stonewalling the press on that one.

I dunno, what would telling the press in advance have done? "Lower your expectations, the album was done in a rush and no one's going to like it much"?

Anyway, some great albums have been made in six weeks or less. Just not that one.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Popcorn posted:

I dunno, what would telling the press in advance have done? "Lower your expectations, the album was done in a rush and no one's going to like it much"?

Anyway, some great albums have been made in six weeks or less. Just not that one.

It would've at least given me an answer for the big "What the gently caress was that" when it was over. Just explain "Hey we tried seeing what happens when we blast out a Daft Punk album instead of obsessing over it. It's gonna be different".

I mean it's either gonna be that or what they got where people were like "This is a joke right? Or you're trying to head off pirates?" Doesn't hearing about the process change what you thought of that album even a little? It might just be me, I'm a big sucker for the stories behind albums. I wish every single one came with a documentary about how it was made. I mark out for the VH1 Classic Albums show where they rundown every track on an album and talk about the recording.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 18, 2013

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

There isn't a collaborator video for Julian yet right? I guess it could come out Monday or something but it's weird his would be the last one to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Phone posted:

e: I was wrong, they made it human after all in 6 weeks.

Jesus, really? Maybe that's why so many people hate on it. I think that's impressive, though, and I like that album, so that makes it even cooler to me.

Oh my god :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So after about a week of listening to RAM every day I wasn't sure how I felt about it. Turns out that if I just skip over and ignore tracks 2, 3, 4 and 7 then I enjoy the album A LOT.

I know skipping over Giorgio by Moroder probably makes me a lovely person but it just seems like that one always wrecked the flow of things. I also really really like Contact. That sound clip of Eugene Cernan from the Apollo 17 seeing whatever the gently caress he was seeing is such a great start to what ends up being the last track on the album.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

If they just split the track between the interview and the actual song I'd give it a lot more love.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's not great for repeat listens but on my first go around the silliness of talking about a click track over a click track transitioning to the actual song gave me a big ol' grin.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

The chorus to instant crush has been stuck in my head for days. Such a good song.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
This thread is the best distillation of denial and strained rationalization ever. So much "well if you would just rearrange these tracks" and "if you ignore these ~5 songs" and "right but I think what they were going for was..." and "it will be great when the remixes come out I swear!" and "BUT THE CONCEPT!" and "the production is real smooth though" that it kinda warms my heart how far out of their way dedicated fans will go to enjoy something. In a way, it is actually kinda beautiful.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think the thing that puts the biggest grin on my face is in Lose Yourself To Dance when Pharrell says "Guitar!". It reminds me of I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness and makes me laugh every time.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

This thread is the best distillation of denial and strained rationalization ever. So much "well if you would just rearrange these tracks" and "if you ignore these ~5 songs" and "right but I think what they were going for was..." and "it will be great when the remixes come out I swear!" and "BUT THE CONCEPT!" and "the production is real smooth though" that it kinda warms my heart how far out of their way dedicated fans will go to enjoy something. In a way, it is actually kinda beautiful.

There are a LOT of albums that have skippable tracks within. Personally I think skipping "Game of Love" is heresy but people can listen to their albums how they want to.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Declaring that skipping a track nobody had ever heard less than a week ago "heresy" is emblematic of the undue devotion herein. I like all of their first three albums and like parts of this one but I get the feeling a lot of people love the idea of Daft Punk more than the thing itself.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

an skeleton posted:

There are a LOT of albums that have skippable tracks within. Personally I think skipping "Game of Love" is heresy but people can listen to their albums how they want to.

You are kinda contributing to my point...

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Nail Rat posted:

Declaring that skipping a track nobody had ever heard less than a week ago "heresy" is emblematic of the undue devotion herein. I like all of their first three albums and like parts of this one but I get the feeling a lot of people love the idea of Daft Punk more than the thing itself.

thathonkey posted:

You are kinda contributing to my point...

Uh, that's just my favorite song on the album. I don't actually care if anyone skips it but I don't really get why they would either. It's jammin'

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nail Rat posted:

I love the idea of Daft Punk. I also love most of this album.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

an skeleton posted:

Uh, that's just my favorite song on the album. I don't actually care if anyone skips it but I don't really get why they would either. It's jammin'

Thats cool, you like what you like. Im more being critical of the people who cant just admit "yeah, the album is flawed or whatever you want to call it but i still like some of the songs" and instead insist on writing all these convoluted justifications for why it is "great" (which it clearly isnt) or how others are merely missing the point etc etc

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

Thats cool, you like what you like. Im more being critical of the people who cant just admit "yeah, the album is flawed or whatever you want to call it but i still like some of the songs" and instead insist on writing all these convoluted justifications for why it is "great" (which it clearly isnt) or how others are merely missing the point etc etc

I really don't think any album could've lived up to the massive hype which was focused upon this album. "Great" is pretty nebulous, anyway.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm sorry if me mentioning that I skip like, a third of the songs perplexes anybody. I think the majority of the album is a great listen and I'll even admit that I liked the songs I skip on repeat listens.

Game of Love kind of drags me down after the upbeat opening track and is primarily why I'll go past it and straight to Instant Crush. There's nothing wrong with the song itself though.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
This album is so good and will be considered a masterpiece in the future I have little doubt.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

thathonkey posted:

Music is entirely subjective, it's dumb to start a post with "hey it's cool you like what you like" and then follow it up with "but lets just admit the album isn't great"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's hard to express how delighted I am that Pitchfork now has to give a mediocre rating to this mediocre album that they hyped the poo poo out of, at the risk of looking like the self-absorbed hipsters they are. I've watched them dismiss far better albums than this over the last few weeks, that weren't backed by major labels with a poo poo-ton of advertising cash, with a ~6.0 and a typical sneer, but now they're in a bit of a spot, aren't they?

CHIVERS
Apr 28, 2004

c'est quand meme la honte
Why do they have to give it a mediocre review? Reviews seem quite positive overall. From my viewpoint, the hate (or I should say disappointment) seems to come from those deeply involved in electronic music and/or internet commenters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The album is really different from Alive, and Discovery is really different from Homework and Homework was really different from a lot of the albums of the time and Tron was in a completely different genre and I've thoroughly enjoyed all of those. All I can offer by way of defense for my preferences is a shrug.

• Locked thread