Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
It's really weird that in every RAM thread I've read on various message boards people can't stop speculating on what Pitchfork's rating will be. There's very few albums I can think of where a critical consensus could matter less than with RAM. I imagine very few people will be persuaded to listen to this album or ignore it based on what Pitchfork, or any other publication for that matter, has to say about it. The majority of Pitchfork's readers have probably already formed their own opinions on the record by now. I get the impression that people who care are just very eager to roll their eyes or have their opinions validated.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Pitchfork's score is the only one I ever pay attention to when albums come out. That's not because I need them to tell me what I like, but because they're the ultimate taste-setting kingmakers in the music world. It's like making an offering to the gods.

e: to clarify further, I mean it's interesting to see how they respond to things, because they're the daddies of indie cred.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 19, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's hard to express how delighted I am that Pitchfork now has to give a mediocre rating to this mediocre album that they hyped the poo poo out of, at the risk of looking like the self-absorbed hipsters they are. I've watched them dismiss far better albums than this over the last few weeks, that weren't backed by major labels with a poo poo-ton of advertising cash, with a ~6.0 and a typical sneer, but now they're in a bit of a spot, aren't they?

Uh... no? What spot do you think they're in?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thathonkey posted:

Thats cool, you like what you like. Im more being critical of the people who cant just admit "yeah, the album is flawed or whatever you want to call it but i still like some of the songs" and instead insist on writing all these convoluted justifications for why it is "great" (which it clearly isnt) or how others are merely missing the point etc etc
There's nothing wrong with people really really liking an album you don't like dude, nobody has to "admit" anything. Like I get bothered when it turns into "Oh, well, if you liked disco..." and such, but if someone just loves the hell out of the whole album, great, I'm happy they're enjoying music. I don't think they need to be berated or browbeaten simply for that fact.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's hard to express how delighted I am that Pitchfork now has to give a mediocre rating to this mediocre album that they hyped the poo poo out of, at the risk of looking like the self-absorbed hipsters they are. I've watched them dismiss far better albums than this over the last few weeks, that weren't backed by major labels with a poo poo-ton of advertising cash, with a ~6.0 and a typical sneer, but now they're in a bit of a spot, aren't they?
Giving lots of coverage to a highly-anticipated album is sort of what a music news site does. And their job is ostensibly to rate music fairly, so if it's underwhelming and they rate it that way, what's the big deal? I said previously I think they'll give it something in the 6's, but I mean I don't think it's some terrible crime if they don't. A lot of people like this album, it's hardly out of the realm of possibility for them to sincerely like it too. I honestly have no idea what you're even saying here other than you have a kinda weird relationship with Pitchfork.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

het posted:

Giving lots of coverage to a highly-anticipated album is sort of what a music news site does. And their job is ostensibly to rate music fairly, so if it's underwhelming and they rate it that way, what's the big deal? I said previously I think they'll give it something in the 6's, but I mean I don't think it's some terrible crime if they don't. A lot of people like this album, it's hardly out of the realm of possibility for them to sincerely like it too. I honestly have no idea what you're even saying here other than you have a kinda weird relationship with Pitchfork.

Pure speculation without a lot of evidence here but I for some reason I won't be surprised if they give it BNM, just based on the reception for Get Lucky and Doin' It Right - it will definitely be interesting to see on Monday or whenever. Of course, the writer makes a huge difference as well and I have no idea who will cover it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

dj bobby bieber posted:

Pure speculation without a lot of evidence here but I for some reason I won't be surprised if they give it BNM, just based on the reception for Get Lucky and Doin' It Right - it will definitely be interesting to see on Monday or whenever. Of course, the writer makes a huge difference as well and I have no idea who will cover it.
They already gave Doin' It Right BNM a couple days ago. I'm not sure you can read anything into that, obviously that generally reflects a positive opinion, but that track is also the one that is best fits in the Pitchfork wheelhouse, so who knows if it means "we love this album" or "if only the rest of the album had been like this track".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well gently caress. According to Boys Noize's Twitter, Romanthony died a few hours ago :smith:

R.I.P.

He'll live on forever. One More Time is, without a doubt, one of the best singles I've ever heard in my life. It has been for over a decade. And I doubt anyone will stop listening to it anytime soon. It has a definite timeless quality to it.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow, that sucks. Wonder how he died?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cameron posted:

Wow, that sucks. Wonder how he died?

"Anthony Moore, aka house producer and singer Romanthony, has died. The cause of death has not been revealed, but his sister Mellony confirmed via Facebook that he passed away on May 7."

drat, he died almost 2 weeks ago and we're just now hearing about it?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well gently caress. According to Boys Noize's Twitter, Romanthony died a few hours ago :smith:

R.I.P.

He'll live on forever. One More Time is, without a doubt, one of the best singles I've ever heard in my life. It has been for over a decade. And I doubt anyone will stop listening to it anytime soon. It has a definite timeless quality to it.

This is so sad.

The Walking Dad fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 19, 2013

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Pitchfork has hyped, done obviously payed for features, then dropped artists before. See: Lana Del Ray last year and MIA the year before.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
How did some people get the vinyl already? Did preorders ship early? Im curious to hear the mastering on the LP. Is it really that much different?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Farm Frenzy posted:

Pitchfork has hyped, done obviously payed for features, then dropped artists before. See: Lana Del Ray last year and MIA the year before.

They did it with How To Destroy Angels. They premiered a load of stuff for them and then slapped a 6.2 on the album.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Farm Frenzy posted:

They don't like Lana Del Ray either? Good to know I can ignore their obviously wrong opinions.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

nomapple posted:

They did it with How To Destroy Angels. They premiered a load of stuff for them and then slapped a 6.2 on the album.

Latest Radiohead album got basically the same treatment but with a 6.8 i think? I am really curious what theyll give this album now... I still think high 7s or even low 8s.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

thathonkey posted:

How did some people get the vinyl already? Did preorders ship early? Im curious to hear the mastering on the LP. Is it really that much different?

I take it they did. Mine was shipped from the record store where I preordered it the 16th and I had it in my hands the 18th. For the record, that's the fastest they've ever shipped something to me. Usually it takes a couple of weeks. The sound on the LP is much warmer and sounds better than the MP3s at least, but then again, they were just that. MP3s. 320 kbps, but still MP3s. I wish the digital download had been for FLAC or WAV. Guess I'll just have to rip the vinyl.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Datasmurf posted:

I take it they did. Mine was shipped from the record store where I preordered it the 16th and I had it in my hands the 18th. For the record, that's the fastest they've ever shipped something to me. Usually it takes a couple of weeks. The sound on the LP is much warmer and sounds better than the MP3s at least, but then again, they were just that. MP3s. 320 kbps, but still MP3s. I wish the digital download had been for FLAC or WAV. Guess I'll just have to rip the vinyl.

This is a question I should know the answer to, but is the CD going to be better than mp3 quality or is it mp3s? As a side note, this album is sounding better and better to me every day. I know its been like 5 days but still. I just listened to a couple of songs in the car this morning and it was awesome.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

an skeleton posted:

This is a question I should know the answer to, but is the CD going to be better than mp3 quality or is it mp3s?

They wouldn't just stick mp3s on a disc, any producer worth his/her salt would refuse to work with that label ever again.

And I picked up my copy in store today and they had loads of promotional stuff, like masks and poo poo, so worth checking out your local indie store if you want to buy it.

e: same masks as someone posted a couple of pages ago, by the looks of things.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Sometimes artists will slap the CD mastering down on vinyl but not vice-versa. So for RAM there are probably at least two masterings: one for CD/digital, one for vinyl - which is good. But the MP3, even at high bitrate, will lose some quality compared to a CD or FLAC. Who knows what the iTunes stream is rated at.

Sidenote: holy crap they play Get Lucky on the radio a lot. Was riding in the car with somebody last night who was flipping through radio stations and inside of 20 minutes across 2-3 stations we heard the song 4 times.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

Sometimes artists will slap the CD mastering down on vinyl but not vice-versa. So for RAM there are probably at least two masterings: one for CD/digital, one for vinyl - which is good. But the MP3, even at high bitrate, will lose some quality compared to a CD or FLAC. Who knows what the iTunes stream is rated at.

Sidenote: holy crap they play Get Lucky on the radio a lot. Was riding in the car with somebody last night who was flipping through radio stations and inside of 20 minutes across 2-3 stations we heard the song 4 times.

I gotta say I am extremely jealous. I live in Houston, Texas and have Never heard it on the radio.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I realized today while listening to RAM that Giorgio by Moroder and Contact, 2 of my favorite tracks, have a very similar sing structure to a lot of post rock. Mostly, due to the electronic influence, similar to 65 Days of Static.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

an skeleton posted:

I gotta say I am extremely jealous. I live in Houston, Texas and have Never heard it on the radio.

Really? It's on Top 40 a decent amount. I heard it in a "Banga Boys" (the terrible local DJs) 7:00 PM mix yesterday.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

illcendiary posted:

Really? It's on Top 40 a decent amount. I heard it in a "Banga Boys" (the terrible local DJs) 7:00 PM mix yesterday.

On 95.7? to be fair I dont listen enough, maybe. If it is getting play that makes me happy.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

an skeleton posted:

On 95.7? to be fair I dont listen enough, maybe. If it is getting play that makes me happy.

I think. Might be 104.1, but it's most likely the former.

Though because they had to fit it in a mix, they cut off lyrics here and there and the :spergin: in me got upset.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

thathonkey posted:

How did some people get the vinyl already? Did preorders ship early?

Some preorders shipped early and some independent record shops broke the on-sale date. Plus it was released in a bunch of countries on Friday.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

R.I.P.

Check out his release on Roule (Thomas Bangalter's label) - it's really great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kN6Ix9lv_k

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

an skeleton posted:

Ive only thoroughly listened to Tron like once or something, is it really worth listening to? I feel like it would only be truly experienced on a big sound system or whatever. Is it ok just at the gym or chilling?

Wow, sorry this was so late. Was on vacation and such. Yes, definitely worth getting if you like large electronic soundscape type albums. It's one of my most listened albums, and I would compare it to something like the Vangelis Blade Runner soundtrack. It has a gobs and gobs of atmosphere with traces of the Daft Punk we know thrown into the mix. I listen to it a lot when I'm hunkering down at work and have to sift through excel files for hours, or writing an app. It gets you into a good trance and keeps you going. Found out a lot of other friends do the same thing, when they have to write involved scripts and such, they find themselves throwing this on.

I've listened to it more on headphones than my home system.

It's a truly great soundtrack. One of the best, IMO.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RE: Get Lucky on the radio, I've only heard it on one of the rap & R&B stations around here, and I have a feeling that's just because Pharrell's on it.

dj bobby bieber posted:

Check out his release on Roule (Thomas Bangalter's label) - it's really great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kN6Ix9lv_k

You know, I think I've heard this before, but not in years. It sounds really familiar. And yeah, it is great. Sounds like a classic.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cleretic posted:

They don't like Lana Del Ray either? Good to know I can ignore their obviously wrong opinions.

Most people don't like her, either.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Not sure if anyone has heard of Brassft Punk, but they're a brass band hailing from my hometown of New Orleans started by this guy named Earl Scioneaux that exclusively does covers of Daft Punk songs. They have 4 songs up on SoundCloud now: Harder Better Faster Stronger, Around The World, Da Funk and One More Time.

Listen here: https://soundcloud.com/iamjasonalexander-1

Really very cool, especially if you like jazz. These just scream New Orleans but while also remaining true to the originals and putting a pretty neat spin on them.

Also, they had a Kickstarter to cover Get Lucky with a $2,000 goal and that goal has already been exceeded by almost $1,200, so that'll definitely be happening. It's going to be available to download in June.

why can't i download these these are awesome?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Not sure if anyone has heard of Brassft Punk, but they're a brass band hailing from my hometown of New Orleans started by this guy named Earl Scioneaux that exclusively does covers of Daft Punk songs. They have 4 songs up on SoundCloud now: Harder Better Faster Stronger, Around The World, Da Funk and One More Time.

Listen here: https://soundcloud.com/iamjasonalexander-1

Really very cool, especially if you like jazz. These just scream New Orleans but while also remaining true to the originals and putting a pretty neat spin on them.

Also, they had a Kickstarter to cover Get Lucky with a $2,000 goal and that goal has already been exceeded by almost $1,200, so that'll definitely be happening. It's going to be available to download in June.

When did they form? I can't believe I never heard of them when I lived in NOLA. I think I may have to give to their kickstarter.

Little Mac posted:

why can't i download these these are awesome?

exactly what I was thinking.

edit: listening to these covers makes me miss NOLA so much. Everyone in this thread that hasn't been there should consider going one day.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 19, 2013

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

R.I.P.

I've always loved "Too Long" from Discovery as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6_ZNW1DACE

RIP Romanthony.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Spacebump posted:

When did they form? I can't believe I never heard of them when I lived in NOLA. I think I may have to give to their kickstarter.

exactly what I was thinking.

edit: listening to these covers makes me miss NOLA so much. Everyone in this thread that hasn't been there should consider going one day.

Earl's been doing music for a while as The Madd Wikkid http://maddwikkid.com. If you're looking to get these they're available from Juno right now. Vinyl is slated to drop at some point this summer on Trax Records.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

AwwJeah posted:

I wonder how many people bought scalper tickets at exorbitant prices and flew halfway around the world for the Wee Waa launch party and cried after Daft Punk never even made an appearance.

Granted, the videos made it look like a fun as hell time. But drat...

I did hear some American voices in the crowd, so maybe a few people did. You'd have to be a bit silly though, the organisers sent out like three emails saying that Daft Punk weren't going to be there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What was the point of the whole Wee Waa thing if Daft Punk themselves weren't actually there? I thought that's why it was such a big deal a month or two ago when it was announced, because it was going to be Thomas and Guy-Man premiering the album in this tiny rural town in Australia. But that wasn't the case at all, it was just people listening to the album. So in what way was it different from any other listening party across the world?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

So in what way was it different from any other listening party across the world?

It's the one that was super hyped up.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

What was the point of the whole Wee Waa thing if Daft Punk themselves weren't actually there? I thought that's why it was such a big deal a month or two ago when it was announced, because it was going to be Thomas and Guy-Man premiering the album in this tiny rural town in Australia. But that wasn't the case at all, it was just people listening to the album. So in what way was it different from any other listening party across the world?

I'm not really sure to be honest. It was an awesome time, and it was far enough out of the way that only fans turned up, which made for an amazing atmosphere. Dancing on a massive light up stage under the stars and a huge disco ball in the middle of loving nowhere was surreal.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

If they hadn't made it available for streaming on iTunes the point would have been to give non industry types the first chance to listen to the album. I honestly thought the streaming rumor was just that because it wouldn't make sense to hype up the Wee Waa listening party if it was going to be available for anyone with an internet connection.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

I bet they were there. They were in the crowd (not in costume, obviously) at Coachella when their new commercial debuted. They are the types that love to anonymously watch people's reaction to their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Wow, 8.8 http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18028-daft-punk-random-access-memories/

And here I thought my 8.2 was optimistic.

• Locked thread