Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I think the literal best thing on the WiiU right now is the Nintendoland music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

I haven't heard it for myself, but Super Mario World is right up there too. My younger self would be incredibly pissed off and disappointed in Nintendo for this sorry state of affairs, but I find myself pitying them more than anything.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Guys, get ready to tongue punch your fart boxes, as all those people who said they were going to buy the WiiU once there was a "real" Mario game and Smash Bros. all rush out and save the platform*!

quote:

#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros., 3D Mario game, Mario Kart and other Wii U titles in our #NintendoDirectNA before the start of E3

* This isn't going to save poo poo if no one else is making games for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is Ravi Drums in it?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Are the list of Wii U games really so abysmal? Or is it just because they are so across the board in terms of appeal and quality with lack of the exclusives that we all know and love? I made a list of games I'd buy if I got a Wii U today, nine of them being Wii U titles, 5 of them virtual console and 5 of them wii games.

I'm just trying to understand what exactly is wrong so I can feel the right amount of doubt.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Guys, get ready to tongue punch your fart boxes, as all those people who said they were going to buy the WiiU once there was a "real" Mario game and Smash Bros. all rush out and save the platform*!

* This isn't going to save poo poo if no one else is making games for it.

Nintendo's consoles are still a must buy for me but god drat do they make it hard to make it anything other than a low priority. Like, I'll get one eventually, sure. Just... after other things that will be more fun. I only have a 3DS at this point because I got a good deal.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Nintendo opened this can of poo poo that the failures of past hardware gimmicks had closed when the Wii became a money printing license, and the industry at large has suffered because of it.

But without "gimmicks" doesn't the form kinda stagnate? Don't people kinda have to try new things beyond just adding more RAM?

I mean, even if Nintendo's experiments have been unsuccessful, I don't see that as a reason that everyone should just stop trying.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really only care about innovation in the software, to be honest. Buttons and joysticks and stuff are fine for the control interface. They're reliable, precise, easy to use, and give nice tactile feedback to your hand. I haven't yet seen any of these "innovations" that make me want to give them up. And an extra screen? Who cares, I can only focus on one screen at a time anyway.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I really only care about innovation in the software, to be honest. Buttons and joysticks and stuff are fine for the control interface. They're reliable, precise, easy to use, and give nice tactile feedback to your hand. I haven't yet seen any of these "innovations" that make me want to give them up. And an extra screen? Who cares, I can only focus on one screen at a time anyway.

Who said anything about giving them up? Options are good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Who said anything about giving them up? Options are good.
Well, if they're packaging them with the hardware that means extra cost and complexity for something I don't want to use. And if they're keeping the price the same it probably means that adding that stuff in means they skimped on something else. And in the case of the Wii, the default controller DOES have a critical lack of buttons and joysticks.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 19, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, if they're packaging them with the hardware that means extra cost and complexity for something I don't want to use. And in the case of the Wii, the default controller DOES have a critical lack of buttons and joysticks.

Well, it's possible to go too far (clearly the Kinect is too limited in a lot of cases), but at the same time, just as some might ask whether motion controls or tablets are strictly necessary for a title, I think it should be asked if 16 separate inputs at any one time are necessary for a given title. That's also complexity, it's just complexity that gamers are used to.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, it's possible to go too far (clearly the Kinect is too limited in a lot of cases), but at the same time, just as some might ask whether motion controls or tablets are strictly necessary for a title, I think it should be asked if 16 separate inputs at any one time are necessary for a given title. That's also complexity, it's just complexity that gamers are used to.
I think the sixteen or so standard inputs for games is a pretty good number, in most the games I play most of them are used for something.

As soon as the Dual Shock came out and more or less standardized controllers, I knew that we had arrived at more or less the optimal number of buttons and joysticks.

edit: V maybe it's a chicken or an egg thing, you seem to want hardware to innovate first and ask software to follow (and it often doesn't), while I want the other way around.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 19, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the sixteen or so standard inputs for games is a pretty good number, in most the games I play most of them are used for something.

True, but are they there because they're necessary or are they used because they're there?

I just don't think it makes sense in any medium to assume something is "good enough, stop messing with it."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are several games which make very good use of alternate configurations to do things which you couldn't with buttons-and-dualstick. Even as far as shooting games go, the Wiimote or Move have in several cases been kind of superior to their dual-stick counterpart. (As well as the classic mouse-and-keyboard argument.)

Likewise, having a dual screen or a second screen makes some games infinitely more playable. Something like Etrian Odyssey would be a lot more tedious if you frequently had to open the map up and having your inventory on the pad in ZombiU allowed it to do things which you couldn't with a regular controller which specifically involved dividing your attention.

And there are many games which end up requiring awkward button combinations because of the limited number of buttons available because they have to devote certain button to certain things. Even several Vita games manage to have a better control scheme because they can include touch-screen buttons to compensate.

Not to mention something like Dance Central or DDR or whatever which just requires its own distinct kind of play style.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 19, 2013

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

For all the lackluster use of the Wiimote by third-party shovelware-shoveling companies, things like Wii Sport won me over for helping introduce people to games that would be intimidated by the input minefield that is the 'traditional' controller, and I still think there's apt functions a Wiimote could yield that a 'traditional' controller would have trouble emulating (throwing punches, shaking maracas, WarioWare Smooth Moves, etc etc). The Takamaru mini-game in Nintendoland wasn't terribly immersive, ditto the F-Zero game, but they're the things that came closest to selling me on the gamepad as a gaming device, and not just a second screen for your main game (it's not exactly gaming on the go when you're still tethered to the main system) or a map (which is lazy as gently caress).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

StevenM posted:

For all the lackluster use of the Wiimote by third-party shovelware-shoveling companies, things like Wii Sport won me over for helping introduce people to games that would be intimidated by the input minefield that is the 'traditional' controller, and I still think there's apt functions a Wiimote could yield that a 'traditional' controller would have trouble emulating (throwing punches, shaking maracas, WarioWare Smooth Moves, etc etc). The Takamaru mini-game in Nintendoland wasn't terribly immersive, ditto the F-Zero game, but they're the things that came closest to selling me on the gamepad as a gaming device, and not just a second screen for your main game (it's not exactly gaming on the go when you're still tethered to the main system) or a map (which is lazy as gently caress).
When I said I was disappointed in the Wii's use of motion controls I wasn't talking about shovelware games, I was talking about the big first and third party games that used the Wiimote as far as it would go (minus the Motion Plus, just timing-wise of when I had a Wii), yet still failed to use the Wii's new hardware features in a way that made not wish I was playing with a controller instead.

To me, playing a game is like reading a book. I don't want to have to shake the book around, or change the angle that I am reading, or have to occasionally look away from the pages, in order to get everything out of it.

edit: I guess other people get other things out of games than I do, nothing wrong with that I suppose. For me, games are sit on the sofa and relax time. However, if those other ways aren't making money anymore, then that's a problem for Nintendo.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 20, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, even though it is a party minigame collection, I think one of the best expressions of the Wii concept was WarioWare: Smooth Moves. That game is goddamn art, and I'm legitimately disappointed that nobody else tried to develop a game where you jump with the controller at your side or try to use it as an elephant's trunk.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Samurai Sanders posted:

This, exactly. The Wii, and now the WiiU, are underpowered, gimmicky, cheap-feeling platforms. Over the past console cycle, there have been a lot of awesome games. Most of the games I've enjoyed the most have been on the Xbox, PS3, or PC. I prefer games with grand stories, dramatic visuals, memorable soundtracks, and a control scheme that exists to enable me to experience those things. Whatever merits Skyward Sword may have had re:story, music, etc, were lost on me because the controls detracted from my experience. I don't want to wave my arms around when playing games.

Hell, even camera and gyroscope controls, as found on the 3DS' "Dream Radar" app and Uncharted/AC on the Vita are suboptimal because I can't do those portions while laying on the couch, or sitting in anything other than a swiveling office chair, because there are enemies offscreen that I can't see without twisting my spine into loops, or standing up. It looks pretty absurd when I'm standing in the middle of the room spinning and twisting trying to spot the VR Pokemon on my 3DS screen. Its dumb.

Innovation is a good thing, but Nintendo isn't innovating in the right ways. Instead of making your console revolve around (ONE!!!) bigass tablet (with a resistive display for fucks sake), why not revamp your online services, pump the hardware up to a level where you can at least get decent ports of current gen content, drop the Wii name in favor of one that doesn't bring to mind a toddler's toy, and generally try to broaden your market?

The Wii sold a shitton of units, but it didn't have any staying power. I know tons of people, including myself, who bought Wiis, and none of us still own one. Most people I know sold theirs within 3 years, some in less than 2.

Now the WiiU isn't selling because in addition to the marketing fiasco, the Wii name, among my social group, is associted with boring hardware demos like Wii Sports and the plethora of shovelware. No one takes it seriously, especially not at $400 or whatever absurd price they're asking for what amounts to an Xbox360 with more RAM, less games, and a lovely tablet.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Saoshyant posted:

Both Sony and Microsoft did spectacularly bad at last E3 and, surprisingly enough, that attitude seems to have carried on throughout the year as Sony had no idea what to do with its Vita console

Did you not see all of the good press coming out after the PS4 reveal or are you just conveniently forgetting about that to further a non-existent point?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Annath posted:

The Wii sold a shitton of units, but it didn't have any staying power. I know tons of people, including myself, who bought Wiis, and none of us still own one. Most people I know sold theirs within 3 years, some in less than 2.

That's pretty much the story of everyone who owns, or owned a Wii. Gamers bought it and grew bored and frustrated. Casuals also got bored as soon as the novelty of WiiSports wore off. The Wii was a bad console in every way that is important- there were some good games sure, but I never got around to playing most of them simply because it was on the Wii. I couldn't get more than ~20 hours into Xenoblade because 480p looks like rear end on my HDTV. I had the same problem with Monster Hunter Tri- both gorgeous games that were hobbled by the hardware.

I fully agree Sanders about the control scheme. Every time I played a game on the Wii where there were multiple control options, my preference (and that of literally every single one of my friends) always went Gamecube Control->Classic Control->Wiimote. It's not like I even like the Gamecube controller that much, it's just the best of a bad situation. Motion controls have their place, but using it as the primary controller- especially one that was so poor they had to upgrade it with Motion Plus- was a mistake.

I think the WiiU has the potential to be successful. Nintendo games in general don't have any real need for a GPU that is capable of putting out hyper-realistic graphics, and now that their new console can put out 1080p they don't have to worry as much about the WiiU becoming shamefully dated as the Wii so quickly became. No standard def to HD jump to muck things up. Connectivity still isn't great, but it's within tolerance. The success of the console hinges solely on what 1st party IP's they can get out the door in the next six months or so- If they can sell some consoles with Smash/Mario/Zelda/Whatever, maybe they can get some third party developers back on board.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Zomodok posted:

Did you not see all of the good press coming out after the PS4 reveal or are you just conveniently forgetting about that to further a non-existent point?

What press are you referring to? I remember a whole ton of bad PR in regards to them not even bothering to show the console itself.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Based on the types of people who I saw buying the Wii, the mid 30's couples who would bust it out at get togethers, it's no surprise they aren't adopting the next console. I have to wonder as well, the 10 year old me was so hyped reading Nintendo power getting ready for A link to the past. I think todays 10 year olds probably feel more like that with the new Call of Duty coming out. So the people who will buy the WiiU will be buying it for literally 3 games(Mario's/zelda's/metroids). The kids of baby boomers kids are still a bit young for a console and grandma's dementia has progressed to the point that the old folks home is more worried about her making GBS threads the bed then getting in a round of Wii Bowling. Either way, no need to "upgrade".

Purgatory Glory fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 20, 2013

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

miscellaneous14 posted:

What press are you referring to? I remember a whole ton of bad PR in regards to them not even bothering to show the console itself.

I remember that being a ding on an otherwise solid unveiling. The physical casing of the console isn't nearly so important as what's inside it, and pretty much everyone seems to think it's going to be a developers' dream.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

If that was the only major complaint that Sony had, then that was a really good day for Sony.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

Who really expected them to do that other than message board idiots? Gotta save something for E3, son.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

The same conference that sparked debate on whether or not Deep Down was pre-rendered or not. The kind of arguments you want your target audience to be having, especially if it was not pre-rendered. The onkt thing I wondered after the WiiU conference is why the hell didn't the upgrade the ugly look of the Mii's.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

miscellaneous14 posted:

I think CNN even posted an article calling the PS4 the new controller for the PS3.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

miscellaneous14 posted:

Oh no! Sony didn't show what the PS4 looked like.

At the same time does anybody remember that they showed off the PS3 but didn't tell us what was inside and the internet freaked out? Oh no!

There was a lot of positive "Sony gets it with Indie Developers", "Sony worked with Developers", "Sony surprised developers with 8GB DDR5", "Sony shows off the social aspect but wants to know it's 100% optional", "Sony wants to focus on the games". I mean I could probably spam a ton of links to articles all saying the same thing by different "gaming" journalist.

Sure there might have been bad press but it was overshadowed by all of the good "omg Sony isn't repeating the PS3 launch" type press.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

No one anyone takes seriously was freaking out about Sony not showing the console case itself because it's such a complete non-issue and is easily the single least important aspect of the entire console.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Why don't I have a Wii U? Mostly, there's no games I want.

And I'm not a "hardcore" gamer. I'm one of those semi-casual gamers who's been in the game, as it were, since about the mid 80s or so. I can play some platformers--I generally hate em--but I mostly stick to Pokemon, RPGs, sandbox games, puzzlers, and quirky widget titles. The Wii waggle controls didn't bother me much--in fact, I preferred them over some games because I hate having to figure out button presses on quick reaction. (Plus I've always moved controllers even when they did gently caress all.) So you think I've be the target audience for the new level in wonky add ones to a Wii U.

But right now, everything out for the Wii U is boring to me. I don't play zombie/horror, I don't do shooters, I don't do sports games, I hate shovel ware, most racing games annoy me, and my main joy in Mario platformers is watching my husband play them (and die repeatedly so I can laugh my head off at him). I'll probably grab Game & Wario later--possibly before I get a system--and probably Wii Fit U or whatever it's called. But not for some time. Plus, I have a huge backlog on my Wii, DS, and 3DS anyways. poo poo, there's still a GCN game or two my husband and I haven't finished. And the price is just too high for a system that right now I want to maybe play four games on and my husband wants two to three more past that.

Also, not gonna lie, I'm still bitter they laid me off March '12, so there's that. (I wasn't in anything super cool, just CS. But yeah, several months of my 2012 was "gently caress you, Mario, since my employment is in another castle.")

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN
Nethilia, do you have any nephews?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nethilia posted:

(Plus I've always moved controllers even when they did gently caress all.)
Actually this is part of the problem for me: I unconsciously move the controller when I play too (a little bit, not crazy like some kids I knew as a kid), but if you make that actually do something in the game it screws me up completely. It reminds me of a scene from early in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where Zaphod is listening to the radio and must hold very still because the tuners on modern space radios are so sensitive that if you move at all, it interprets it as wanting to change the station and changes stations. I just fidget naturally, I always have, so leave my body movement out of the game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 20, 2013

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

NewtGoongrich posted:

Nethilia, do you have any nephews?

Possibly, but none near me. My older sister doesn't want them, my younger sister is a clusterfuck of E/N proportions right now, my BIL just got married this Dec and I'm hoping he'll put them off a touch longer, and my half brother and half sister might have kids but I haven't spoken to them in...poo poo, ten years almost?

(I get the joke though.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Innovation is a good thing, but Nintendo isn't innovating in the right ways. Instead of making your console revolve around (ONE!!!) bigass tablet (with a resistive display for fucks sake), why not revamp your online services, pump the hardware up to a level where you can at least get decent ports of current gen content, drop the Wii name in favor of one that doesn't bring to mind a toddler's toy, and generally try to broaden your market?

None of that would really be "innovation", more just playing catch-up with everyone else. Innovation is doing something your competition isn't. They should do these things (only I couldn't care less about "it sounds like a toddler's toy"), but it would also be nice for someone to push past the current paradigm of how "core" games are put together.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Maxwell Lord posted:

None of that would really be "innovation", more just playing catch-up with everyone else. Innovation is doing something your competition isn't. They should do these things (only I couldn't care less about "it sounds like a toddler's toy"), but it would also be nice for someone to push past the current paradigm of how "core" games are put together.

It doesn't help that Wii U was named after a flash-in-the-pan fad though. When they do the "relaunch" later this year, I wonder if they could get away with rebranding and abbreviating it to "U".

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

None of that would really be "innovation", more just playing catch-up with everyone else. Innovation is doing something your competition isn't.
Yeah but the Wii U isn't innovating anything. They just took the DS and made the TV one screen and the Gamepad the other. At best they just duplicated themselves, at worst it's, what, gaming on a tablet? It's not innovation.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

One and the Same posted:

That's pretty much the story of everyone who owns, or owned a Wii. Gamers bought it and grew bored and frustrated. Casuals also got bored as soon as the novelty of WiiSports wore off. The Wii was a bad console in every way that is important- there were some good games sure, but I never got around to playing most of them simply because it was on the Wii. I couldn't get more than ~20 hours into Xenoblade because 480p looks like rear end on my HDTV. I had the same problem with Monster Hunter Tri- both gorgeous games that were hobbled by the hardware.

A hundred times this. It also didn't help, at least for me, that the Gamecube actually felt like it had a sharper and cleaner video output than the Wii did. note: not that the Wii was weaker.

On top of that there were about five or six games I actually wanted to play on it and on a few of those I couldn't get the blurry, washed out picture out of the back of my head. It may be higher resolution than consoles before it, but at least with older consoles that weren't the PS2 the games actually looked pretty crisp.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It doesn't help that Wii U was named after a flash-in-the-pan fad though. When they do the "relaunch" later this year, I wonder if they could get away with rebranding and abbreviating it to "U".

That still wouldn't work because then people would think that it's an entirely different console and it would confuse the people who own it already. Lets not forget that the games and accessories have the Wii-U branding on the boxes.

They're stuck with the name, what they need to do with the re-launch is give people loads of games to play. The Wii missed out on a load of stuff like Skyrim which was available for every other platform and still is one of the most heavily played games on Steam. But now they're losing more stuff, so really they just need to give a barrage of good exclusive games to make people want the system. While stuff like Wonderful 101 look interesting it's just no enough, you need something like a Big/Good game or two every month just like the other consoles got/are getting.

tranceMD
Apr 25, 2006

Forsooth! Methinks thou art no ordinary talking chicken.
I think the software hurdle is the biggest one to clear right now. The slight number of desirable titles available is exacerbated by news like a big publisher moving away from the console or a modern graphics engines being incompatible with the hardware. A marketing overhaul would be great, but if I'm at Nintendo I first want to have some showcase games at my disposal, something beyond a NSMB sequel that looks like it could just as well have run on the previous piece of hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Here's a big obvious reminder that we're probably getting these this year

(Yes I know these are mockups)

This has been widely reported as a PR email pertaining to the last investor meeting.

quote:

Based on the strong lineup of upcoming software titles for both the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, Nintendo expects to return to Operating Income profitability by the end of the current fiscal year. During the next several months, Nintendo expects to launch new titles in the Mario Kart (Wii U), Super Mario Bros. (Wii U), Wii Fit (Wii U), Pikmin (Wii U), The Legend of Zelda (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS), Mario & Luigi (Nintendo 3DS) and Pokémon (Nintendo 3DS) franchises. These games, along with titles from Nintendo’s third-party publishing partners, will help drive hardware momentum and introduce new audiences to the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS platforms.

• Locked thread