Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

I didn't see it coming because I thought that rumour was debunked a while ago, but I also wasn't at all surprised.
I read literally nothing coming into the movie so I was surprised, but not "oh god that's so cool" kind of surprised.

Another complaint, and this is more of a personal pet peeve than an actual critique but I hate hate hate hero-villain plots, and Trek has done a lot of this. The series, the movies, everything. It's so lame and uninteresting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Cingulate posted:

I'm not sure how convincing the movie is at making that statement. It probably depends on whom you're asking, but I'm sure most people watching this will quite enjoy the action scenes - most of which are, of course, scenes of war and violence.
So, how genuine is the statement that Star Fleet (Star Trek) should be about exploration rather than fighting?

I mean, this thread has seen two major hopes expressed for the next one: either the 5-year mission, exploration and wonder ... or the Klingon war.

I'd say it's pretty convincing.

The main characters very rarely resort to actual violence in the movie and, when they do, it turns out to be completely ineffective. For instance, Kirk punching Khan out of pure rage after Khan surrenders turns out to be pointless.

Spock chasing Khan after Kirk's death is, yes, emotionally motivated. Ultimately, though, it turns out that Spock needs Khan and... Okay, I don't have a good answer for this one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gio posted:

I read literally nothing coming into the movie so I was surprised, but not "oh god that's so cool" kind of surprised.

Another complaint, and this is more of a personal pet peeve than an actual critique but I hate hate hate hero-villain plots, and Trek has done a lot of this. The series, the movies, everything. It's so lame and uninteresting to me.

You hate one of the basic models of story conflict from the beginning of storytelling?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I think the biggest question raised by Into Darkness is how many movies have I watched where Ed Harris was actually Peter Weller?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's interesting that many of the people calling this movie a "mindless action flick" actually missed all of the important plot points, character arcs and other things that made it good. I swear, some goons just stop watching what's in front of them because they are too busy sperging that the lasers are the wrong color or whatever.

I really like Kirk's death scene, and I knew that he would be saved by Khan's blood right as Scotty said going in the core will kill him. The point of that scene was not for us to feel sorry that Kirk died, but to show Spock's character development. It was a very emotional and very well acted scene. I also didn't think KHAAAN was out of place there: we see Spock get more and more emotional through the scene, and when Kirk dies, its catharsis.

My only complaint is that they didn't really need Leonard Nemoy's cameo in this movie. We already knew that Khan was very dangerous from watching the film, and old Spock was just stating the obvious. As I understand it's a tie in with the old movies, but it wasn't really necessary. Then again, it didn't take anything away from the flow of the film, so its a very minor issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It would be nice if they'd just give Shatner a cameo just so he could shut the hell up about it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Pycckuu posted:

My only complaint is that they didn't really need Leonard Nemoy's cameo in this movie. We already knew that Khan was very dangerous from watching the film, and old Spock was just stating the obvious. As I understand it's a tie in with the old movies, but it wasn't really necessary. Then again, it didn't take anything away from the flow of the film, so its a very minor issue.

I agree, it's not the best storytelling, but I'll give it a pass for the sake of the audience. Not everyone has seen Wrath of Khan. That demographic really benefits from seeing Nimoy show up and tell them that yes, this Khan guy has been bad news for like 30 years now and yes, poo poo is going down. I think that's a fair trade: Trekkies get the in-jokes at the expense of being told a few plot elements we already knew.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

It would be nice if they'd just give Shatner a cameo just so he could shut the hell up about it.

It would be so awesome if there's a scene in the next film where Pine is saying "Have you checked for Sabotage?" and suddenly off-camera you just hear "No, no, no, let me show you how to do it" and Shatner just comes on and pushes him out of the way and does the line and then the rest of the film just continues with him as Kirk and nobody acknowledging what happened.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even better if he attempts to do all the stunts old man style.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Pycckuu posted:

I think it's interesting that many of the people calling this movie a "mindless action flick" actually missed all of the important plot points, character arcs and other things that made it good. I swear, some goons just stop watching what's in front of them because they are too busy sperging that the lasers are the wrong color or whatever.

I really like Kirk's death scene, and I knew that he would be saved by Khan's blood right as Scotty said going in the core will kill him. The point of that scene was not for us to feel sorry that Kirk died, but to show Spock's character development. It was a very emotional and very well acted scene. I also didn't think KHAAAN was out of place there: we see Spock get more and more emotional through the scene, and when Kirk dies, its catharsis.

They are calling it that because the majority of the film is pointless action sequences. When half the audience is laughing hysterically at the emotional scene you describe, it's more akin to a youtube parody of star trek.

But I did like the deconstruction elements. Pike yelling at Kirk about his stupid plans was pretty great. I am kind of astounded that they resisted the urge to put a mostly dead Pike into the blinky wheelchair.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 19, 2013

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Siroc posted:

Do you want a villain today quoting Paradise Lost and Moby Dick?

Yes. :colbert:

Pycckuu posted:

I think that it served a greater purpose than you think. If they didn't do that, then everyone would be sperging about "why didn't they just call Old Spock and get all the dirt on Khan? What a waste of a great cameo opportunity!"

Also it puts to bed, for better or for worse, for the rest of the new franchise, why Old Spock isn't giving them cheat codes all the time. It was something that needed to be addressed, unless they were just going to forget he existed, which would have been lame.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They should just have old spock die so there's no chance of ever being able to get information about the future. Though, really, I don't see the harm of just mind melding with himself so Spock can know what's to come. He's the best choice because he wouldn't reveal anything out of turn. Since the time line is already damaged, there's a chance that things might not add up the same as before and certain major events won't happen as they should.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

I mean Vengeance? Come on now, you can do better than that.

Honestly, the :goonsay: reason the ship bothered me was because of the Defiant. I know the Defiant is hundreds of years later and technology is very different, but the fact that this ship is ginormous but built entirely for battle and can be run by only a skeleton crew (or one person) is ridiculous. A dozen people running a giant ship like that seems like a logistical nightmare. It doesn't need to be that big! The Defiant was built to be a warship as opposed to the explorer style ships in the rest of starfleet, so it doesn't have things like quarters or holodecks or even a sickbay. It has the bare minimum and as a result is small.

I guess they just wanted the visual of look how much bigger this ship is, it must be more powerful, but it really made me sperg out over how they built it wrong.

Also completely unrelated, but with all the gravity nonsense how did that tribble stay on the table?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Asiina posted:

Also completely unrelated, but with all the gravity nonsense how did that tribble stay on the table?
Tribble feet are like suction cups.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cingulate posted:

I don't see how former relates to the later.
While historically, much exploration has been exploitation and violent, I don't see how it must be so in space.

Because this is a galaxy full of strange alien creatures and savages that want to murder you. In fact, the savages are probably the best case scenario since you know how to deal with them instead of space magic or whatever was featured in TOS.

quote:

That was the most action-packed part to you? Not Spock beating up Khan on flying future trains, or Khan killing all the Klingons?

The scene I mentioned was the centerpiece of the film, it defined the central themes of the movie. It also took up the most amount of the film compared to the other two scenes.

And actually, Spock beating up Khan is central to the thesis because he did not kill Khan, he disarmed him. That takes restraint and is counter to what the antagonists in the film did. Khan killing the Klingons is the obvious counter to this - it's meant to represent that Khan has no restraint. And that's a bad thing.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I can't believe that I'd actually see the day when some sci-fi nerd would actually complain about warp travel and how it takes seconds to cross Space in movies....

and actually refer to that as a plothole

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

computer parts posted:

And actually, Spock beating up Khan is central to the thesis because he did not kill Khan, he disarmed him. That takes restraint and is counter to what the antagonists in the film did. Khan killing the Klingons is the obvious counter to this - it's meant to represent that Khan has no restraint. And that's a bad thing.

I enjoyed Spock breaking Khan's arm after Khan said he couldn't tell a lie, let alone break bone.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

Guilty posted:

While we're talking about awesome set decisions, I love that they used the Getty Museum as federation headquarters. That building is loving gorgeous. One of the few beautiful pieces of architecture in LA

That was the Getty? How did I miss that? I caught the lobby of the CAA building in the footchase, at least. Century City being prime sci-fi street scene location shooting, after all.

Alchenar posted:

There's literally no reason for him to go anywhere near Klingon space except to be incredibly convenient for Marcus's plot.

He knows precisely where the Vengeance is, he should have just beamed onto it and stolen it.

Hey, yeah, what the hell? Scotty had no problem sneaking onto the ship and disabling it from inside. Surely the same man who easily killed two columns of Klingons could've handled the dozen guys it apparently takes to run the Vengeance, and if his transporter could reach Quo'nos from earth it could certainly reach Jupiter.

On the other hand, his plan was clearly something different, and he's supposed to be all superior and poo poo. Who am I to question?

Chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 19, 2013

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

You hate one of the basic models of story conflict from the beginning of storytelling?

Most of the time, yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chewbacca posted:

That was the Getty? How did I miss that? I caught the lobby of the CAA building in the footchase, at least. Century City being prime sci-fi street scene location shooting, after all.

There are two Gettys

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts
It was the villa?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ernie Muppari posted:

There are a surprising number of things in Star Trek that bring a particular quote from Kids in the Hall to the minds of my boyfriend and I: "Is it wrong to kill a man just because he deserves to die?"

I mean, we're both usually rational and empathetic people, but there're an awful lot of people in Trek, from compulsive Bloodknife gamblers to pointlessly smug warrior clouds, whose entire purpose in life seems to be giving others a reason to try to kill them. It is at times rather difficult to muster up the requisite caring necessary to not just want the main characters in the show to chuck the prime directive and blow the crap out of that big fat jerk Space Crystal.

Understood, but in this case the Klingons there did not "need killing." They were intercepting an alien ship which had landed on their own planet, and are justifiably suspicious. Kirk didn't come out guns blazing, but they did once the Klingon border patrol started to defend themselves once Khan opened fire. The "right thing" to do was not to sneak into Klingon space at all (at least not without permission.)

Ordinarily I would not be so nit picky, but if one of the subtexts of the film is to show that drone warfare is bad, then what they showed instead was the equivalent of sending some Marines over in helicopters, with the implication that Kirk's action was better. Except it wasn't that much better, especially compared to going up the chain of command to point out that he was given an illegal order - or to refuse to execute the order period.

Maybe in the next film we'll see Kirk being chewed out for landing on Kronos and kicking off the hot war that Robocop wanted; what irony.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 19, 2013

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Cojawfee posted:

They wrote a really nice cameo for him in the original film but it ended up being nixed, you can read the scene online though.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I've never watched Star Trek outside of these two films, but I'd like the next one to be more about the Prime Directive. Have a dude going around to different undeveloped civilizations and playing God to them for the fun of it while Kirk and crew try to stop him. I'm not entirely sure if that would work, but it'd be a fun way to explore a few different settings and worlds.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Asiina posted:

Tribbles are perfectly capable of sticking to walls.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Was it me or did the base that Scotty went to where the Dreadnought was being housed look exactly like a Borg "Cube"?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guilty posted:

I can't believe that I'd actually see the day when some sci-fi nerd would actually complain about warp travel and how it takes seconds to cross Space in movies....

and actually refer to that as a plothole
"Going 100x the speed of light? No biggie. Going 10000x the speed of light? MY SUSPENSE OF DISBELIEF"

computer parts posted:

Because this is a galaxy full of strange alien creatures and savages that want to murder you. In fact, the savages are probably the best case scenario since you know how to deal with them instead of space magic or whatever was featured in TOS.
That's just another form of war then. What's the difference between war with one or the other strange alien creature?
Also, Spock showing "restraint" has to be seen in the context of Spock showing emotion. Isn't it so that it's less him restraining himself from killing Khan, but rather him becoming angry enough to beat him up?

Also, it's delightful to see how we've now had two movies of Spock beating up and Kirk getting beaten up.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Chewbacca posted:

I'm not too sure about the foot chase part of the movie, I don't think they landed near Federation headquarters, but the beginning of the movie was so clearly the Getty, that as a previous poster mentioned, it jarred me out of the movie. I think for a lot of scenes they didn't even bother to decorate it. Captain Pike's office is just a lobby to the right of the main entrance hall. And at the end, Kirk's speech is given in front of one of the wings of the Getty

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Cojawfee posted:

How they could have done it would be the radiation ages Kirk in seconds, gradually morphing him into William Shatner. End of the film, Kirk decides he needs to jump rope for a while...

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the previous Abrams film, after Kirk wins the Kobayashi Maru by cheating, he is tried in a big hall in front of the entire student body. Is this standard practice for military academies? In my school and the place I work at, guilt and punishment are decided in private sessions.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Democratic Pirate posted:

I've never watched Star Trek outside of these two films, but I'd like the next one to be more about the Prime Directive. Have a dude going around to different undeveloped civilizations and playing God to them for the fun of it while Kirk and crew try to stop him. I'm not entirely sure if that would work, but it'd be a fun way to explore a few different settings and worlds.

Asiina posted:

Honestly, the :goonsay: reason the ship bothered me was because of the Defiant. I know the Defiant is hundreds of years later and technology is very different, but the fact that this ship is ginormous but built entirely for battle and can be run by only a skeleton crew (or one person) is ridiculous. A dozen people running a giant ship like that seems like a logistical nightmare. It doesn't need to be that big! The Defiant was built to be a warship as opposed to the explorer style ships in the rest of starfleet, so it doesn't have things like quarters or holodecks or even a sickbay. It has the bare minimum and as a result is small.

I guess they just wanted the visual of look how much bigger this ship is, it must be more powerful, but it really made me sperg out over how they built it wrong.

It's not necessarily wrong, it's just two different schools of design from two different centuries approaching two different problems. The Defiant was a ship built specifically to take out a known threat: the Borg. The Vengeance was built to take out unknown possible future threats of big fuckoff poo poo like the Nerada showing up randomly because holy poo poo, THAT's what's out there? :drat:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cingulate posted:

"Going 100x the speed of light? No biggie. Going 10000x the speed of light? MY SUSPENSE OF DISBELIEF"

Yeah its incredibly odd that people would gripe about this. I mean, there's only so much screen time you can have for your movie, you aren't gonna waste it trying to establish proper time frames for magic space travel. People also never take time to poop in Star Trek, priority of screen time trumps minutiae.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Asiina posted:

The Defiant is almost too powerful for its size even in that era, though. It can barely keep itself together for all the power running through it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

In the previous Abrams film, after Kirk wins the Kobayashi Maru by cheating, he is tried in a big hall in front of the entire student body. Is this standard practice for military academies? In my school and the place I work at, guilt and punishment are decided in private sessions.

I've only heard of it, because I'm in a different branch, but the navy has what's called the captain's mast. Where someone is put in front of everyone else and gets in trouble or something.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Asiina posted:

Yeah, this bugged me too. On one hand, they wanted it to be bigger and more imposing so the audience would go "ohhh, that's the bad guy ship!" but it was kinda stupid to have the ship be that big when it could be controlled by one guy and had a skeleton crew.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, this bugged me too. On one hand, they wanted it to be bigger and more imposing so the audience would go "ohhh, that's the bad guy ship!" but it was kinda stupid to have the ship be that big when it could be controlled by one guy and had a skeleton crew.

Just because it could be run by a bare crew doesn't mean it was intended to be all the time. Once it became public knowledge they could scale it up to a full crew and operate it at full efficiency, the skeleton crew would just be a security precaution to make sure you can use the thing but there aren't many flapping jaws to worry about giving it away until you're ready.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Astroman posted:

It's not necessarily wrong, it's just two different schools of design from two different centuries approaching two different problems. The Defiant was a ship built specifically to take out a known threat: the Borg. The Vengeance was built to take out unknown possible future threats of big fuckoff poo poo like the Nerada showing up randomly because holy poo poo, THAT's what's out there? :drat:

I actually thought the Vengeance was supposed to be Abrams take on the Excelsior class. That would've been more understandable for why it was so large.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just got back from the movie and I liked it. I thought it was better than Trek09.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Oops. Double post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Great_Gerbil posted:

I couldn't really have summed it up better than PeterWeller did earlier:

Yes, I liked that so much I saved it.

Thanks man. I really think it's a poignant and important message, and it speaks directly to the American audience in a way that is blunt but not insulting. I don't know what to say about how well the film conveys that message. I found it obvious, but I was expecting an allegory, and some of my buddies didn't see it until I pointed it out.

• Locked thread