Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Speaking of noises in Paradox games, I was wondering if Darkrenown or Johan could tell the story behind why there's a sound effect named FemaleSounds_Relief in EU3's sound effects folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Spirit Tree posted:

I think it was already in CK2 as a reworked version under the name of intaberna?

Yes and while I do appreciate that, if Paradox wants to continue selling me games, it must be in EUIV! I would say the same thing for Victoria and HoI, but V3 and HoI4 haven't even been announced yet.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

So now I can officially monetize my Mount and Blade video

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kersch posted:

So now I can officially monetize my Mount and Blade video

You just need some sort of 30 second animated logo intro, a voice over that starts "HAY GUYS", and some begging to "SUBSCRIBE" at the end and you'll have Youtube gold. :c00l:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Oh also, I've been meaning to ask, how should I develop my land and naval units in Victoria 2? I'm not only interested in effective compositions, but a general recruitment strategy too. I know that each regiment is tied to a specific pop, so does that mean I should set a NF to focus soldier pop growth in a couple of populous states and recruit all of my regiments from those, so that they have have plenty of replacements to replenish losses? Or is it more effective to recruit from all across your country evenly?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Kersch posted:

Oh also, I've been meaning to ask, how should I develop my land and naval units in Victoria 2? I'm not only interested in effective compositions, but a general recruitment strategy too. I know that each regiment is tied to a specific pop, so does that mean I should set a NF to focus soldier pop growth in a couple of populous states and recruit all of my regiments from those, so that they have have plenty of replacements to replenish losses? Or is it more effective to recruit from all across your country evenly?

I always try to recruit exclusively from high-population states and only from large soldier pops if possible. If a pop is just barely large enough to support a regiment, then Murphy's Law will probably kick in and it will shrink down until it's too small to support that regiment anymore as soon as recruitment is finished. The problem will be even worse in small states because there will be fewer people to become soldiers to begin with. And that's not even taking into account battle casualties.

Also, if you can possibly avoid it, never recruit from pops of non-accepted cultures, because the soldiers will probably assimilate into a primary-culture pop and leave their original unit out in the cold.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Mister Bates posted:

I always try to recruit exclusively from high-population states and only from large soldier pops if possible. If a pop is just barely large enough to support a regiment, then Murphy's Law will probably kick in and it will shrink down until it's too small to support that regiment anymore as soon as recruitment is finished. The problem will be even worse in small states because there will be fewer people to become soldiers to begin with. And that's not even taking into account battle casualties.

Also, if you can possibly avoid it, never recruit from pops of non-accepted cultures, because the soldiers will probably assimilate into a primary-culture pop and leave their original unit out in the cold.

That's good to know. Do you just perpetually run way below your force limits then, since you avoid using smaller soldier pops? And does a 1k soldier pop actually turn into 3k people when it becomes a regiment, because I noticed a discrepancy there.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Kersch posted:

That's good to know. Do you just perpetually run way below your force limits then, since you avoid using smaller soldier pops? And does a 1k soldier pop actually turn into 3k people when it becomes a regiment, because I noticed a discrepancy there.

Each POP point actually represents a family unit rather than an individual person, so if you've got 24 Mexican Craftsmen they aren't literally 24 Mexicans who all work in a factory, each one is an abstraction of a guy and his wife/children/etc.

Also, I recruit from smaller pops situationally, like if I'm gearing up for a large war and need a bunch of fresh meat for the grinder that's more effective than lovely conscripts or want to inflate my Military score. Most of the time, though, if a pop can't support at least two regiments I never use them. It gets really irritating really fast having to constantly disband and retrain units because their support pop has spontaneously shrunk, and having a shitload of units at half strength in the middle of a war because they don't have anyone left at home to reinforce them can completely gently caress you over at a critical time.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Mister Bates posted:

It gets really irritating really fast having to constantly disband and retrain units because their support pop has spontaneously shrunk, and having a shitload of units at half strength in the middle of a war because they don't have anyone left at home to reinforce them can completely gently caress you over at a critical time.

Why don't you just pop a promote soldier national focus on their state for a few months and they should be topped off?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Why don't you just pop a promote soldier national focus on their state for a few months and they should be topped off?

Or keep the Military Spending slider high so you top off soldiers everywhere.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Patter Song posted:

Speaking of noises in Paradox games, I was wondering if Darkrenown or Johan could tell the story behind why there's a sound effect named FemaleSounds_Relief in EU3's sound effects folder.

Diplomacy.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Johan I want you to know that the baby crying in ck2 is a terrible effect to have in a game.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Evil Agita posted:

Johan I want you to know that the baby crying in ck2 is a terrible effect to have in a game.

I'm not sure what's worse, constant baby crying or the obnoxiously loud/jarring sound effects in V2 for finishing railroads/factories.

TSSSSSHHHHHHHHchoo... choo... choo. "Railroad completed in <x>."

WHIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSKREEEEEEEEplunk. "Canned Food Factory completed in <x>."

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Drone posted:

I'm not sure what's worse, constant baby crying or the obnoxiously loud/jarring sound effects in V2 for finishing railroads/factories.

After westernizing as China I turned off all sounds forever. So many trains.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Drone posted:

DING DONG, DING DONG, your new ironclad just finished building.

Though the naval SFX are much, much better than pre-AHD V2. You know that "chkchkchkchkchkchk, chkchkchkchk" sound when you select a fleet? Well, there were two problems with it then. One was that the sound could play multiple times simultaneously, so if you selected two fleets, you'd get the sound playing twice, over itself. The other of course was that there were no rally points, so if you built a brand new 30 ship fleet and waited until all ships had finished building to select them and merge them, you could get the sound playing thirty times over itself.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I actually like hearing the railroad and factory noises when I westernize as some huge unciv nation in V2. It kind of makes me imagine railroads and industry rolling out from the cities like some kind of carpet. I'm like "Yay! Industrialization! Progress! :unsmith:"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kersch posted:

You want to recruit as many regiments as you possibly can. Reason being is that other POPs promote to soldiers faster if you've recruited all your available regiments. Don't worry about them having to replenish losses, because unless you're taking ludicrous casualties and/or haven't researched Medicine, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I have what I think is a jolly good idea for a V2 (HoD) LP, and am about to ask the LP mods whether it is ok to use HoD ahead of the usual three-month embargo period (since it is a DLC 'expansion' for a game without a plot as such). I seem to remember some of the Paradox staff in here saying that they wouldn't mind this, could I confirm that is the case before I bring my case before the mods?

As for the LP - It's going to be :siren:legislative:siren: so bring your best argument face to the thread once I start it. I have plans and schemes as to how to make such an LP enjoyable and engaging without turning into a clusterfuck (well, without it turning into a clusterfuck immediately)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Noreaus posted:

I have what I think is a jolly good idea for a V2 (HoD) LP, and am about to ask the LP mods whether it is ok to use HoD ahead of the usual three-month embargo period (since it is a DLC 'expansion' for a game without a plot as such). I seem to remember some of the Paradox staff in here saying that they wouldn't mind this, could I confirm that is the case before I bring my case before the mods?

As for the LP - It's going to be :siren:legislative:siren: so bring your best argument face to the thread once I start it. I have plans and schemes as to how to make such an LP enjoyable and engaging without turning into a clusterfuck (well, without it turning into a clusterfuck immediately)

I certainly don't mind, though I suppose it'd be more podcat or johan's thing to approve it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think somebody asked the LP mods about a week ago and got turned down.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know a while back someone said that the Assert Hegemony CB hasn't been removed, it just has conditions that aren't met at the start of the grand campaign. However, I can't find it in cb_types.txt. Anyone know for certain if it's still there or not?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I know a while back someone said that the Assert Hegemony CB hasn't been removed, it just has conditions that aren't met at the start of the grand campaign. However, I can't find it in cb_types.txt. Anyone know for certain if it's still there or not?

It's still there. It comes on after you research Nationalism and Imperialism. If you want to prove it's there, load up 1861 start as Prussia and you should be able to to Assert Hegemony on day 1.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK, but I still can't find it in the code.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Noreaus posted:

Post in this thread when you start, I'd hate to miss it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Noreaus posted:

:ohdear: I asked and got shot down on my plans to do a "How the Hell do you Play Victoria II HoD" LP.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

:ohdear: I asked and got shot down on my plans to do a "How the Hell do you Play Victoria II HoD" LP.

I would like to read one of those, because I still can't figure out how to play Vic2. I finally managed to not be terrible at CK2 after reading Kersch's a few times, but I still can't do Vic2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

With all the people who are apparently chomping at the bit to do a V2 LP, it's probably a good thing the 3-month rule is being enforced.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

With all the people who are apparently chomping at the bit to do a V2 LP, it's probably a good thing the 3-month rule is being enforced.

There are never enough Paradox LPs :colbert:

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

March of the Eagles is $9.99 today at Steam.

Wiz is currently using the game in his Azerbaijan LP.

ChikoDemono fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 20, 2013

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Evil Agita posted:

I have more of a problem with the other end of life. I know you died in your sleep, Patriarch, so what's all this Aaaaargh then?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mister Bates posted:

Late game though there's kinda no point to this, you'll have 800+ regiments and whether just one or two can't reinforce doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Also late game the economy goes under permanently and you'll have millions of unemployed workers turning into soldiers just fine :smith:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

AtomikKrab posted:

That's pretty dumb as hell to shoot down. "Hey let me make a thread to show people how to play a game?" "No, why would anyone read that? I'm a idiot, sorry"

Rather a How the Hell do you Play Victoria 2 HoD LP than whatever else someone was going to do.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's a shame not let one that teaches people how to play through before everyone starts their gimmick threads. Not a good thing it's being enforced.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Winter Stormer posted:

I have more of a problem with the other end of life. I know you died in your sleep, Patriarch, so what's all this Aaaaargh then?

Hell of a nightmare.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Noreaus posted:

It's fine by us, in fact I encourage it.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

So, is March of the Eagles worth picking up at $10?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Contingency Plan posted:

So, is March of the Eagles worth picking up at $10?

I've only played single player, but I found it enjoyable. It's a far less complex version of Hearts of Iron, which is perfect for me.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Raenir Salazar posted:

Late game though there's kinda no point to this, you'll have 800+ regiments and whether just one or two can't reinforce doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Also late game the economy goes under permanently and you'll have millions of unemployed workers turning into soldiers just fine :smith:

I'm beginning to suspect V2 army management is so hilariously bad so that you will quit in frustration before everything collapses and slows to a crawl in the endgame :v:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I remember some time ago an instructional LP for HoI3 was posted. It was a series on YouTube of some guy with a British (I think? Definitely from the Commonwealth(edit: turns out I mucked up on this, ignore)) accent taking the time to explain all the mechanics as he played. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I really want to give HoI a chance but can't really get into it since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edit: \/\/\/Exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Also I suck at remembering accents.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 20, 2013

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

I remember some time ago an instructional LP for HoI3 was posted. It was a series on YouTube of some guy with a British (I think? Definitely from the Commonwealth) accent taking the time to explain all the mechanics as he played. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I really want to give HoI a chance but can't really get into it since I have no idea what I'm doing.

Right here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?634983-Hearts-of-Iron-3-FTM-Video-Tutorials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

meatbag posted:

I'm beginning to suspect V2 army management is so hilariously bad so that you will quit in frustration before everything collapses and slows to a crawl in the endgame :v:

I play Multiplayer so I'm not so lucky :v:

• Locked thread