Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Did anything new actually happen with Benghazi in the last year or has it just become some sort of rote chant that gets included in the list of scandals that Obama has going on so that it can be a list of more than two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Did anything new actually happen with Benghazi in the last year or has it just become some sort of rote chant that gets included in the list of scandals that Obama has going on so that it can be a list of more than two?

Yeah, a lot, but mainly because that second part of your sentence. Three weeks ago a whistlerblower came forward and revealed that after the attack, the State Department stepped in to change the official talking points, leading to Susan Rice saying untrue things to reporters (the video caused the attack). Then the Republicans started a Congressional hearing, during which they got the White House to send them 100 emails related to this. Then a few days ago, it came out the Republicans who had early access to those emails altered the statements in those emails to look like they showed a coverup or failed intelligence. Now that the White House has released the emails to the press, comparisons are being drawn between the versions provided by Republicans like Sen. Tom Coburn, who had full access to them due to his position on the Senate Intelligence Committee, and the official unaltered version. The unaltered emails show that the State Department wasn't covering up a botch and there was no failed intelligence--they were removing data from the talking points that would've compromised a source still deployed in the field at the time. If we had come out and said "We know it's a terrorist attack, and who's behind it," the suspects we were then still pursuing would've gone to ground and endangered our source.

As of today, the Republicans are saying "100 emails is nice, now how about the other 2,500 emails that were sent with Benghazi in the subject header."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

XyloJW posted:

As of today, the Republicans are saying "100 emails is nice, now how about the other 2,500 emails that were sent with Benghazi in the subject header."

Where's the long-form Benghazi emails?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Enjoy posted:

This is a terrible attitude to take. "White trash" is extremely classist. You are literally saying that they are bad people because they are poor - exactly the attitude the conservative Southerners hold towards the Middle East. These "white trash" are inundated with propaganda which puts them in another kind of unfortunate position that they need educating out of, not berating or glassing.

I'll be sure to check my non-white trash privilege next time my cousin posts an image macro advocating lynchings and gently remind him he's like that because he's poor even though he isn't.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Enjoy posted:

This is a terrible attitude to take. "White trash" is extremely classist. You are literally saying that they are bad people because they are poor - exactly the attitude the conservative Southerners hold towards the Middle East. These "white trash" are inundated with propaganda which puts them in another kind of unfortunate position that they need educating out of, not berating or glassing.

I don't know which are the above were jokes/facetious but it bears saying anyway because some people mean it.

I live in Jackson MS.

There are plenty of racist white trash assholes here that are rich as gently caress. And politically powerful.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'll be sure to check my non-white trash privilege next time my cousin posts an image macro advocating lynchings and gently remind him he's like that because he's poor even though he isn't.

So call him a racist. "White trash" is a slur on poor Southerners who have been misled by the ruling class in order to divide races against one another.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I live in Jackson MS.

There are plenty of racist white trash assholes here that are rich as gently caress. And politically powerful.

Yes, but they live in Madison, and have you seen their mall?

E: I actually agree with Enjoy. The rich Mississippians imitate the poor to differentiate themselves from the "elitist" rich. It's just an extra layer of classism.

XyloJW fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 20, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Enjoy posted:

So call him a racist. "White trash" is a slur on poor Southerners who have been misled by the ruling class in order to divide races against one another.

What if he self-identifies as white trash?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

He's trolling you.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XyloJW posted:

E: I actually agree with Enjoy. The rich Mississippians imitate the poor to differentiate themselves from the "elitist" rich. It's just an extra layer of classism.

example: the owner of John Deere (makers of tractors, lawnmowers, etc.) has a very expensive house that's painted entirely "John Deere" green.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
If you wanna see how funny and off the cuff conservatives are, #WhenISeeAObamaBumperSticker is trending hard on twitter right now.

Yes, A, not An.

My favorite one so far:

I hide the crucifix on my mirror, I can't afford an audit!!!

Rororororo, why you lovable tax cheat!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Well good for him. He's empowering himself and trying to turn an insulting term into a something good among his fellow "white trash".

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Enjoy posted:

He's trolling you.

I wish this could be the case. Anyone who's ever lived in a small town/rural area in the South has heard at least one person unironically self-identify as "white trash."

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

I wish this could be the case. Anyone who's ever lived in a small town/rural area in the South has heard at least one person unironically self-identify as "white trash."

Yep. Putting a huge white trash and proud decal in the back window of his truck is a lot of effort to troll someone he sees maybe once every few years.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Enjoy posted:

He's trolling you.

Yeah, no, lots of people unironically self-identify as white trash. Just like lots of people are proud to be "rednecks".

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Maybe you've heard of this trend where black people call each other 'friend of the family'?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Sharkie posted:

example: the owner of John Deere (makers of tractors, lawnmowers, etc.) has a very expensive house that's painted entirely "John Deere" green.

What's wrong with that?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Interlude posted:

Maybe you've heard of this trend where black people call each other 'friend of the family'?

It's actually a completely different set of circumstances, so this example kind of misses the point.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

ponzicar posted:

What's wrong with that?

It should be New Holland blue.:killdozer:

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

XyloJW posted:

Why is it every Madison county is economically depressed, white as a republican, and filled with signs expressing bad opinions.

Redneck is especially pernicious because it was originally leveled against unionized miners. So calling someone a redneck manages to make you both a classist AND anti-union.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

EBT posted:

Redneck is especially pernicious because it was originally leveled against unionized miners. So calling someone a redneck manages to make you both a classist AND anti-union.

The poor rural farmer definition actually pre-dates the union miner meaning.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
Fair enough anti-union claim withdrawn, still makes someone classist thought.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
"If I can't indulge in classist fantasy of ethnic cleansing then what can I do, vote for a real party?" - Most goddamned Democrats

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

XyloJW posted:

My office is in that mall. I usually take a walk around it on my lunch. %50 of the stores have signs out front about how they only "look expensive". Funny enough, though, they're really really pumping up Ridgeland to be Madison Jr. To be 100% honest I live in Ridgeland, not Jackson. So it's kinda nice.

Jackson itself, as far as city planning goes, is beyond BEYOND hosed. They're really trying hard with Ridgeland. Making a somewhat fluid residential/commercial layout.

quote:

Trust me. The rich here are still trashy as poo poo.

Jersey Shore/Kardashian/Lohan kinda trashy.

For those who've never been, if it all sounds convoluted and confusing, that's because it is. MS is a mish mash of rich as gently caress people trying to pull a "salt of the Earth" persona. They can complain about minorities while blasting hip hop in their 40k F250s that they refuse to wash because it's a fashion statement.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

quote:

:words: white-trash/redneck/racist/etc

Have you guys ever heard of Jeff Foxworthy?

As someone who half identifies as a Southerner; I can tell you that sometimes, intelligent, competent Southerners think its funny when Northerners assume they are stupid or whatever 'right-wing' stereotype you can muster because of how they dress and talk. Sometimes they think its fun to play the part a little bit to get under their skin, too. I've noticed this phenomenon in the black culture where I live in the Midwest as well.

In general, any two opposing groups, be it republicans and democrats, conservatives and liberals, rich and poor, racists and minorities, northerners and southerners, are always as equally misinformed about one another. You've just gotta keep your critical thinking cap on and try to see from their perspective. Sometimes they are just bullheaded morons, but sometimes they believe what they believe for the exact same reasons you believe what you believe, they just happened to be exposed to a different set of opinions, information, and influences than you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm really hoping we get more discussions about how 'white trash' is just like 'friend of the family', that's always fun.

Wait no it isn't, here's a pretty bland email my cousin who thinks chemtrails are real and Monsanto are allied with the government to make us all fat and sterile and helpless for...something? I assume that's when the Nazis march in and kill us?

Of course the site being spread around just seems to be selling lovely tee shirts with no actual substance.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Why we march? Why we talk like this? Why head hurt?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Enjoy posted:

Why we march? Why we talk like this? Why head hurt?

Their brains have already been hurt by GMOs! The effects of them include

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I sure wish there was place to grab poo poo like the Ron Paul info bomb when I need it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ultimateforce posted:

I sure wish there was place to grab poo poo like the Ron Paul info bomb when I need it.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=paulbomb First result.

Or is that part of :thejoke:?

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I think he meant other topics that were equally well cited as the paulbomb.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ultimateforce posted:

Snopes is pretty good. And I believe there's a few websites devoted to breaking down political lies.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

Snopes is pretty good. And I believe there's a few websites devoted to breaking down political lies.

Snopes is a liberal plant, you will be surprised how far you won't get with snopes.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

darthbob88 posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=paulbomb First result.

Or is that part of :thejoke:?

I didn't search it with as word. drat it.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
So my very nice cousin posted this very racist link on Facebook. http://gopthedailydose.com/2013/05/19/wrong-color-in-the-wrong-place-white-family-stopping-to-refuel-attacked-beaten-unconscious/

I don't even know where to begin, I am just so sad.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Does anyone have a good link for how the Benghazi cover-up emails were faked?

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Brennanite posted:

So my very nice cousin posted this very racist link on Facebook. http://gopthedailydose.com/2013/05/19/wrong-color-in-the-wrong-place-white-family-stopping-to-refuel-attacked-beaten-unconscious/

I don't even know where to begin, I am just so sad.

I looked at the comments and there was literally a man threatening to burn a cross in some lady's yard.

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

I live in the part of Oklahoma hit by the monster death tornado today (my house is fine - it hit a little less than a mile south of me). The local Fox affiliate has some wonderful comments on their list about President Obama declaring the area a disaster area.

I'm on my phone so can't really post screenshots, but you have people asking why it took so long (I guess four hours isn't fast enough?), umbrella jokes, Sandy Hook conspiracy theories, and OMG FEMA. Oklahomans loving suck.

https://m.facebook.com/foxokc/posts/10151623811950861

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
What is the explanation these chem trail tards have for where the chemicals are loaded? Plane fueling and loading are done by minimum wage workers with no super top secret clearance. No work force of that size and kind would be quiet. Everyone is quite aware of what everyone is doing around a plane.

Have any of these people flown? You can see the jet stream start to form around the wing. I can't wrap my head around the stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Obsolete posted:

I live in the part of Oklahoma hit by the monster death tornado today (my house is fine - it hit a little less than a mile south of me). The local Fox affiliate has some wonderful comments on their list about President Obama declaring the area a disaster area.

I'm on my phone so can't really post screenshots, but you have people asking why it took so long (I guess four hours isn't fast enough?), umbrella jokes, Sandy Hook conspiracy theories, and OMG FEMA. Oklahomans loving suck.

Are the usual suspects crowing about needing to find offsets in the budget before we can send aid to those affected?