Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

toplitzin posted:

Back maybe two-three pages, look for Shine.

Content question, since I got my cats a year ago, An has gone from the White Cat to the That Cat is Not loving White.

Edit: They were a year old upon adoption.

Is this normal?

Yes, your cat is a colorpoint cat. It's the same mutation that's in Siamese and lots of other breeds, and also in the general cat population. They are born totally white usually and tend to darken as they age. Even at your cat's one year old picture I can see where he was starting to get some coloration on his face.

If you're interested, it's a temperature sensitive mutation - the warmer areas of the cat will express less color and be lighter, and cooler areas will be darker. Especially since your cat is overweight, the skin is a lot cooler almost all over than it was at 1 year of age.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

Yes, your cat is a colorpoint cat. It's the same mutation that's in Siamese and lots of other breeds, and also in the general cat population. They are born totally white usually and tend to darken as they age. Even at your cat's one year old picture I can see where he was starting to get some coloration on his face.

If you're interested, it's a temperature sensitive mutation - the warmer areas of the cat will express less color and be lighter, and cooler areas will be darker. Especially since your cat is overweight, the skin is a lot cooler almost all over than it was at 1 year of age.

Yeah, I've cut back their food since they both got fat.

I'm free feeding a 1/3c of Before Grain in each of their bowls down from 1/3 2x a day once I noticed they were both getting chunky. I had asked in the nutrition thread, but should i cut that lower and add a evening wet food instead? they both eat from both bowls over the day, and don't seem to care that there isn't a second bowl later in the evening.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

toplitzin posted:

Back maybe two-three pages, look for Shine.

Content question, since I got my cats a year ago, An has gone from the White Cat to the That Cat is Not loving White.

A trip through the washing machine and she'll be just fine

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Topoisomerase posted:

Is your cat spayed and when was she spayed if so?

She was spayed at around 3 months old. She just turned 7 this month.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My friend is going out of town for the week and wants us to feed her cat Cali. I said I would but now I really don't want to because they live in the next town over (about a 30 minute drive) and I have an irregular work schedule and it's going to be really inconvenient.

I thought of possibly bringing Cali to my apartment but we already have 2 cats and I'm really afraid they may not get along. The apartment is too small to really separate the cats either. I'm just paranoid they'll get in terrible fights and have accidents outside the litter box and my imagination is going through all these "what ifs" :ohdear:

So I need some PI advice:
Suck it up and drive out there every day and spend time with Cali?
Or bring her home and see how it goes?

EDIT: My cats are both just over a year old and Cali is about 7 months old. My cat's haven't had experience with cats other than each other. I'm not sure what socialization Cali has, but my friend was the one who suggested I could bring Cali home so hopefully if Cali hated other cats, my friend would have told me.

Buggiezor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 20, 2013

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

I'm getting a cat on Tuesday from a local rescue. It's a male Himalayan mix and is just over a year old, and his name is Dax. I have a few questions about getting started with a new cat and any answers provided would be awesome!

1. How complicated of a cat tree should I get? I would like a 72-inch high cat tree but is that too much for 1 cat? Most of the ones I've seen that high have multiple levels and things to do, but is a smaller one sufficient enough? Here is one that I am considering or something similar: http://www.amazon.com/Armarkat-A720...2-inch+cat+tree

2. Is feeding him twice a day ok? In the morning right before I leave for work and before/after my dinner at night. Looking over the Cat Megathread I'm convinced on giving him canned food, but how much of it per day will be ok for him? Should it be the whole can or less than that? Maybe dry food at one meal and canned at another?

3. Is regular, non-scented clumping litter the way to go? Or do you think I will need to experiment a bit?

4. How many scrathing areas should I have in my place? I plan on getting a cat tree and the scratch lounge that I've seen praised in some thread(s) here. Is two sufficient? Was maybe thinking of getting one of those pads that leans on a wall.

5. I live in a 900 sq. foot condo, and the only conceivable place to put the cat tree by a window would be in my bedroom, but I would like it in the main area. There is an ottoman in front of my bed room window it could go on though. Is it better to have the cat observe from a higher spot of a window or will the ottoman be sufficient?

Any other information would be awesome, especially anything pertaining to his breed (Himalayan mix).

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Buggiezor posted:

Suck it up and drive out there every day and spend time with Cali?
Or bring her home and see how it goes?

Use your bathroom or bedroom to isolate her. It'll be bigger than a kennel at the vet's, less stress than dumping them all together, and less hassle than driving out there really often. Cats don't do sleepovers well, but they're young enough that it might work out fine.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Buggiezor posted:

My friend is going out of town for the week and wants us to feed her cat Cali. I said I would but now I really don't want to because they live in the next town over (about a 30 minute drive) and I have an irregular work schedule and it's going to be really inconvenient.

You can try bringing her over, but you may have to keep her in the bathroom. Dumping a brand new cat on your current batch isn't the greatest idea since you don't know how they're going to react. Some cats are super chill and love making new friends and others go into full :argh: mode and get super aggressive or start peeing on everything.

FoolishLobster posted:

I'm getting a cat on Tuesday from a local rescue. It's a male Himalayan mix and is just over a year old, and his name is Dax. I have a few questions about getting started with a new cat and any answers provided would be awesome!

1: Don't spend too much money on them, cats like cat trees but a simple one is as good as a tall one with extra ledges and boxes and dangly toys and central heating as far as your cat is concerned. If he can sit on it and fur it up and scratch the poo poo out of it without getting in trouble it'll be fine. Keep in mind the premade cat trees may look awesome but they're often really rickety...you may need to get some L brackets to reinforce it a bit.

2: Twice a day is fine. Find out his weight and the caloric requirements per day for weight maintenance. Adjust a bit if he's really active or is just gonna be sitting on his rear end all day. Cats like food in general, but some can be picky. Experiment with just dry, just wet, mixed, side by side...he'll let you know what he likes best.

3: Plain litter is fine, get it with baking soda (and buy an extra box of soda as well to spike the litter with) but make sure to clean it once a day. At work we replace the litter daily, but we only use small litter pans with just a bit of litter in it. Once you start seeing brown dirty litter in the box after you've scooped it, dump it and scrub the box out with soapy water before putting fresh litter in. A dirty box with clean litter still smells a bit.

4: The more things to scratch, the better. Preferably one in each room so he doesn't have to go far to scratch something.

5: Experiment! Cats will find a favorite spot no matter what you do. Cat's love to look out windows, which is good for their mental health...keeps em from getting bored but they also like keeping an eye on "their "domain.

As for being a Himalayan, he's going to need a lot of brushing. Comb him regularly, cut off any small mats with safety scissors if he'll let you. He's also going to fur up EVERYTHING. Invest in lint rollers.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Minarchist posted:

Awesome advice.

Thank you! Will post pics of this furball when I bring him home.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
- Sex: Male
- How long have you had your cat?: 1 year.
- Is your cat spayed or neutered?: He is neutered.
- What food do you use?: Dry Iams brand adult blend.
- When was your last vet visit?: 2 months ago for shots.
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both?: Indoors.
- How many pets in your household?: Four, 1 dog, 1 other male cat, and 1 female cat.
- How many litter boxes do you have?: One large communal one and a smaller one.

That cat had a traumatic event a week ago, somehow he got himself tangled in a blanket. This seems benign but, he wouldn't stop clawing the blanket so he was stuck for a couple minutes then when he thrashed around he must have been hurting himself because he made howling noises I haven't ever heard from him before. I went and untangled him from the blanket and he was really pissed off looking. I didn't think much of it because he looked physically okay but, that evening he pissed in my gym bag and now he's taking every opportunity to piss on my things. So I've replaced a gym bag, two pairs of running shoes and a suitcase so for now he's staying in the bathroom far away from anything that I cannot nuke with cleaning products. How do I fix this? I've taken him to the vet since and the vet said there aren't any problems.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Azuth0667 posted:

peeing on your stuff

He's probably all buttmad at you for some reason! Is he peeing on carpet or generic items that aren't obviously yours?

Did you run to his rescue and comfort him afterwards? If not he may have a grudge with his kitty logic. Cats get all weird about the stupidest crap sometimes.

edit: he might even think it was your fault he got caught in the blanket! Cats are clever, but they're really dumb too. Are you playing with him, giving him extra attention or is he just stuck in solitary for now?

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 20, 2013

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
A few months back, I posted in here regarding my idiot cat Taters. Here's a link to my last "Meet My Cat" post. He's still a fixed, indoor male cat who eats Royal Canin. He's also still the only pet I have. My last post was kind of a long read, but my aggressive cat was spraying in my daughter's room and on her toys.

Since my last postings, Taters has stopped peeing on my daughter's stuff. It has been months since he started 5mg of Fluoxetine a day and he seems to be doing great with it. He also had several bad teeth pulled, which could've been a lot of his issue. Unfortunately, we are moving again and so I've just begun to pack my things up in the past week. I just found another spot he sprayed on, far back on a shelf on my computer desk. It could be very old, but I have developed a keen nose for cat piss since the last time he did this and I would've noticed it sooner, but it was a dry spot.

I don't know what to do here. I am worried that he is stressed out because everything is being packed up (his vet thought this may have had something to do with this last year when we moved, too.) Months ago, his vet had told me that she would like for him to take 10mg/day because he is a 15lb cat, but we discussed it and I said he seemed to be doing alright with just 5mg and that I was concerned that he would sleep even more with 10mg. I am considering calling his vet to see about increasing him to 10mg/day. It was our plan to wean him off it entirely at some point, but last time we spoke, we thought he should continue to take it until after we move. Taters will be staying with my mom for a few days after the move, so I will be plugging in Feliway around our new place as soon as we move in. I am hoping that will help his transition a little bit, too. I don't exactly know what I am posting for, except to spill my guts. When he did this last year, it got to the point where I would get sweaty palms and my heart would pound through my chest if I smelled anything that smelled remotely like cat pee. It still happens to me even if it's just something like a smelly dishtowel. Does 10mg of Fluoxetine seem too high for a cat? Does anyone have any advice about how to help Taters feel okay with a move? Should I throw my hands up in the air and try to get on My Cat From Hell, as suggested last time I posted?

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

There is! There's generally just called "pet wipes". You can find them at any pet supply store. Combine those with a slicker brush and you'll be all set. How bad is the matting you're talking about? Depending on the severity you can either snip them off yourself or it might be best to have a vet do it.

Thanks! I actually found some waterless shampoo (made sure it was cat safe!) and used that on him earlier. He was pissed but looked much better afterwards and smelled like flowers! Matting was a little bit of an exaggeration, his fur was just starting to get noticeably dirty and clumpy. I also got a more coarse comb that won't pull as much hair out.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Minarchist posted:

He's probably all buttmad at you for some reason! Is he peeing on carpet or generic items that aren't obviously yours?

Did you run to his rescue and comfort him afterwards? If not he may have a grudge with his kitty logic. Cats get all weird about the stupidest crap sometimes.

edit: he might even think it was your fault he got caught in the blanket! Cats are clever, but they're really dumb too. Are you playing with him, giving him extra attention or is he just stuck in solitary for now?

I didn't rush until he started that howling and he's only peeing on my things. He avoids all of my girlfriend's things for example this morning in our closet I have one pair of dress shoes and she has the entire closet packed wall to wall with her shoes, he avoided all of her shoes and pissed in mine. He's done about 350$ worth of damage now so he's in the bathroom where I can pretty much nuke everything if he does pee on it and not happy about it at all. He's got a window to look out, toys, food, water, and his own litter box.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DaisyDanger posted:

When he did this last year, it got to the point where I would get sweaty palms and my heart would pound through my chest if I smelled anything that smelled remotely like cat pee.

Maybe your cat would let you borrow some of his prozac?

Seriously though, it sounds like he's doing pretty good already! Our move strategy has been to keep them in limbo for the least amount of time possible (sounds like you can't move them all in one day though), and have their familiar things set up at the new place with some toys scattered about, beds in what looks like a likely cat nap spot, that sort of thing. Then let 'em loose to explore and get a feeling of ownership.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
I'm looking for a soft cat carrier for my sister's small-sized cat. Any suggestions?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

four lean hounds posted:

I'm looking for a soft cat carrier for my sister's small-sized cat. Any suggestions?

We have a mesh one that we got at petsmart. Our cat hates it though, he tries to smush himself out of it with his face. I guess he thinks he can escape it because the mesh doesn't register as an actual barrier. If I could get another one I'd get one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bergan-Comfor...esh+cat+carrier just because it has walls.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Ok so I'm thinking one of the hardest parts of my endeavor will be actually catching these kittens. I found a place that rents out live traps, but I'm just afraid that I'll only catch one that way and then all the others will be scared off or the mom will move them. I can close the garage door and try to catch them by hand, but before that I'd have to scope out the garage for holes that they might escape out of. I'm thinking it might be better to just try catching them that way but I'm not sure. So if anyone has any tips on catching kittens let me know! I want to go in there with a solid plan so I don't lose any of these little buggars.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Kerfuffle posted:

Our cat hates it though, he tries to smush himself out of it with his face.

Thank you for this adorable mental image. And yes! This is just what I was looking for.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Dogen posted:

Maybe your cat would let you borrow some of his prozac?

Seriously though, it sounds like he's doing pretty good already! Our move strategy has been to keep them in limbo for the least amount of time possible (sounds like you can't move them all in one day though), and have their familiar things set up at the new place with some toys scattered about, beds in what looks like a likely cat nap spot, that sort of thing. Then let 'em loose to explore and get a feeling of ownership.

I know it sounds a bit like an overreaction to freak out at the smell of cat pee, but the last time all of this was going on, he ruined a lot of my 3 year old's toys and it was a really awful feeling when I had to explain to her why some of her toys were being thrown away. It wouldn't be so bad if he was exclusively peeing on my things. I don't think he's doing pretty well with the move, because he hasn't sprayed anywhere in about 6 months and is suddenly starting up again. I called his vet this morning and I'm waiting to hear back from her, so hopefully she'll have some tips for me.

I do plan on doing what you suggested, sort of. I am also going to plug Feliway in our new place as soon as we move in and I am going to leave things like my bedding and his cat tree with him until I pick him up 3 days after we move in.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Coconut Indian posted:

If something like this has been posted, please let me know which page:

I'm moving from New York to Florida at the end of next month and was wondering if anyone had experience with long distance car travel with cats. I've only done this before with a dog so I'm not sure what to do, besides use a sedative from the vet. Is it better to stop halfway at a hotel or just go straight through (I won't be the only driver)? I told my vet about it and he mentioned the sedative but it seemed he didn't have actual first hand experience in driving 1000 miles with a cat.

What made it easier for you? What should I avoid? How much vomit should I expect?

I drove from North Florida to Central Ohio with my cat (and three ferrets, but that's beside the point), and it was easier to just drive straight through than to bother with stopping. I gave him a sedative my vet prescribed and he was zonked out the whole way, no barfs. The sedative was awesome, and I'd recommend if your vet approves it. My cat would normally howl the second you put his carrier in the car, but he didn't make a peep in 13 hours. To prevent him from having anything to purge from either end, I took away his food and water the evening before, which wasn't a problem for him since he's a healthy cat. Just to be safe, it's always good to bring paper towels, Lysol wipes, and pet-safe wipes (specifically for cleaning pets themselves) in case of gastrointestinal upset.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Thanks. I'll be using the puppy pads like someone mentioned and thankfully her nervous poops are about as solid as Entenmann's mini brownies.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
I took Hat to the vet eight months ago for gingivitis and they sorted it out (for £400.. ouch). Now he's got it again, really badly. Is that normal? His gums are extremely inflamed and it seems he's in pain with it.

I can't pay £400 every eight months :/

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've got a foster pregnant kitty in my garage. I'm looking for a specific list of stuff I should be doing before/during/after birth.

Right now she has several beds, some with heating mats. She gets as much wet Fancy Feast as she wants to eat, usually 3-5 cans per day, supplemented with a bowl of dry food that's always available and fresh water.

Here are some photos for your consideration:

4/30

5/3

5/15

5/19

She was found by my friend hanging around a clients home. She is very people-oriented and friendly. Super chill going outside on a leash. We have a local vet that will spay/neuter any strays for free so we'll get that taken care of before the kittens get adopted out. Hopefully mama kitty gets along with my other two cats and I can adopt her. Name suggestions are also appreciated.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

marshmallard posted:

I took Hat to the vet eight months ago for gingivitis and they sorted it out (for £400.. ouch). Now he's got it again, really badly. Is that normal? His gums are extremely inflamed and it seems he's in pain with it.

I can't pay £400 every eight months :/

Do you brush his teeth? Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's only enough to push it back a few months. You may want to consider having some of his teeth pulled if they're really bad. I'd ask the vet about it. Cats who eat kibble or wet food don't really need them.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Serella posted:

Do you brush his teeth? Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's only enough to push it back a few months. You may want to consider having some of his teeth pulled if they're really bad. I'd ask the vet about it. Cats who eat kibble or wet food don't really need them.

My cat has some weird undiagnosable autoimmune disease, and had a serious case of feline stomatitis. He was allergic to his own dental plaque!

So we had to yank all his teeth. He does fine, he eats kibble, wet food, the occasional bug...no bad breath and no pain! It's kinda sad but he still has his claws and is smart enough to stay out of trouble (he's indoor/outdoor)

Having all the teeth extracted is really drastic though. I'd brush his teeth if possible, they have salmon flavored toothpaste that's palatable for kitties.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone ever heard of a cat having extreme reactions to rabies vaccines? A friend of mine texted me that her car is vomiting black vile and is lethargic from it. She has no money and can't afford an emergency vet :( is there anything to do?

Edit: the cat is 2 years old but has had medical problems: stomatitis and IBD. Her immune system is real bad.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Serella posted:

I've tried but I think he must have already been having pain in his gums because he was yelping and I felt too bad about it to continue. He goes bonkers if you try to get near his mouth.

He's at the vet today, honestly I hope they do take his teeth out if they're going to cause him so much pain.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DaisyDanger posted:

I know it sounds a bit like an overreaction to freak out at the smell of cat pee, but the last time all of this was going on, he ruined a lot of my 3 year old's toys and it was a really awful feeling when I had to explain to her why some of her toys were being thrown away. It wouldn't be so bad if he was exclusively peeing on my things. I don't think he's doing pretty well with the move, because he hasn't sprayed anywhere in about 6 months and is suddenly starting up again. I called his vet this morning and I'm waiting to hear back from her, so hopefully she'll have some tips for me.

I do plan on doing what you suggested, sort of. I am also going to plug Feliway in our new place as soon as we move in and I am going to leave things like my bedding and his cat tree with him until I pick him up 3 days after we move in.

All sounds like a good plan. I did not realize he was actively spraying again - I thought you meant you found an old pee spot. It might be a case of mitigating the damage during the time where he is stressing out about the move. Hopefully, once you move he will settle down again like he has in your current place. I am sure the doc will have something more helpful to say than me.

Also, have you tried adding litterboxes?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

seiferguy posted:

Has anyone ever heard of a cat having extreme reactions to rabies vaccines? A friend of mine texted me that her car is vomiting black vile and is lethargic from it. She has no money and can't afford an emergency vet :( is there anything to do?

Edit: the cat is 2 years old but has had medical problems: stomatitis and IBD. Her immune system is real bad.

Jesus she can call the vet who gave it the shot at least?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So the new cat (we settled on Eclair. It's the vet's fault) has mostly settled in. She gets along great with our oldest cat, Pancake, and our middle cat Syrup is icy to her, but they don't hiss and spit at each other every time they're in the same room so it's progress. Our third cat, Coffee is loving terrified of her, though and I don't know why. Coffee is bigger and generally the most assertive of our cats, but the new cat seems to scare the poo poo out of her and she hides and growls, LOUDLY whenever Eclair is nearby. She's transferring this to us now. She was never big on being picked up or being held before, but now she growls and hisses at us when we try to pick her up.

I'm at a loss as to what to do - I tired the gradual introduction, I've tried feeding them together, I've tried getting them to play together, but for some reason Coffee is still petrified of the new cat. They've had a couple of tangles (Coffee initiating most of them) but never enough that either gets hurt, so I can't imagine it's because she lost a fight. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do to take care of her anxiety around Eclair? Coffee came first, so if it comes down to it and we have to, we can adopt Eclair out, but she's a very sweet cat and I'd rather not do that unless it was the absolute last resort. The situation right now is not really fair to either of them - Coffee is getting extremely stressed, and Eclair seems confused and frustrated at the aggression, because she seems to really just want to play. What do I do?

Just a note: Coffee gets along fine with our other cats. She's just never had a new one introduced before, since she was born into our house.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Mirthless posted:

So the new cat (we settled on Eclair. It's the vet's fault) has mostly settled in. She gets along great with our oldest cat, Pancake, and our middle cat Syrup is icy to her, but they don't hiss and spit at each other every time they're in the same room so it's progress. Our third cat, Coffee is loving terrified of her, though and I don't know why. Coffee is bigger and generally the most assertive of our cats, but the new cat seems to scare the poo poo out of her and she hides and growls, LOUDLY whenever Eclair is nearby. She's transferring this to us now. She was never big on being picked up or being held before, but now she growls and hisses at us when we try to pick her up.

I'm at a loss as to what to do - I tired the gradual introduction, I've tried feeding them together, I've tried getting them to play together, but for some reason Coffee is still petrified of the new cat. They've had a couple of tangles (Coffee initiating most of them) but never enough that either gets hurt, so I can't imagine it's because she lost a fight. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do to take care of her anxiety around Eclair? Coffee came first, so if it comes down to it and we have to, we can adopt Eclair out, but she's a very sweet cat and I'd rather not do that unless it was the absolute last resort. The situation right now is not really fair to either of them - Coffee is getting extremely stressed, and Eclair seems confused and frustrated at the aggression, because she seems to really just want to play. What do I do?

Just a note: Coffee gets along fine with our other cats. She's just never had a new one introduced before, since she was born into our house.

It hasn't even been 3 weeks yet. Give it time. Lots of time. The slow introduction idea was clearly not slow enough. You can try doing that again, but given that Eclair is getting on with the other two, I don't know if I'd bother. Maybe put Eclair away at night or something and play with Coffee & encourage her to explore while Eclair is in seculsion. Make sure Coffee has safe spaces to get to if she needs to, keep on bribing her, and try all the food & playing techniques more. 3 weeks is nothing in cat territory terms. After like 3 months you can worry about rehoming her but you're not even kinda at that stage yet. I know it's upsetting, but you have to be patient.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Mirthless posted:

It's only been about two weeks, right? Give them another month or so and reassess.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Eggplant Wizard posted:

It hasn't even been 3 weeks yet. Give it time. Lots of time. The slow introduction idea was clearly not slow enough. You can try doing that again, but given that Eclair is getting on with the other two, I don't know if I'd bother. Maybe put Eclair away at night or something and play with Coffee & encourage her to explore while Eclair is in seculsion. Make sure Coffee has safe spaces to get to if she needs to, keep on bribing her, and try all the food & playing techniques more. 3 weeks is nothing in cat territory terms. After like 3 months you can worry about rehoming her but you're not even kinda at that stage yet. I know it's upsetting, but you have to be patient.

Fair enough! Coffee is kind of my baby so I'm probably excessively concerned. I'll keep trying!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Jesus she can call the vet who gave it the shot at least?

She did. The vet told her to wait on it (not the best advice?) but the cat is doing a lot better this morning. Really weird to have such a reaction from a vaccine.

doritto
May 12, 2013

Does anyone elses cat shed like crazy in all seasons? I brush him regularly, and I've tried things like olive oil in his food (found it on google) however nothing seems to work. What should I do?

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

dsipal posted:

Does anyone elses cat shed like crazy in all seasons? I brush him regularly, and I've tried things like olive oil in his food (found it on google) however nothing seems to work. What should I do?

In my experience, if you have an indoor cat and keep your house about the same temperature year-round they'll just shed year-round. (If you have a drafty poorly insulated apartment like mine, however, your indoor cat might grow a winter coat and then shed it in the spring.) I don't have any advice beyond consistent brushing, though. Grooming tools like the Furminator (or knockoffs) might help cut down on the shedding.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

dsipal posted:

Cats shed all the time. What's he eating? Is his fur dandruffy, rough?

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Ugh, so for those of you who have gone through this cat urinary blockage thing, how long did it take your cat to fully recover?

Iggy's been home for a week now. He's still on antibiotics (Baytril - 1x/day) and a urinary relaxer (Prazosin - 2x/day). He's peeing fine, if somewhat frequent. We've kept him separated from the other cats with his own litterbox so we know exactly how much he's peeing. This morning there was a lump about the size of a lime and two smaller ones about the size of walnuts. That's pretty common for him for a 7 hour period.

HOWEVER, when the prazosin starts to wear off (10-12 hours since his last dose), he starts going to the litter box and crying when he pees. He's peeing, but he's in pain while it's happening. Once he's had the prazosin, he calms down, eats his special prescription food, drinks some water, and is fine.

We've decided to take him to the vet tomorrow if things aren't any better because it's not right for him to be in pain twice a day. But, has anyone else dealt with this? Is this going to end up in surgery for him? The vet told us that even if we do the surgery, he can still have the chronic irritation and crystals, just without the blockage. That seems to be where we are right now, he's obviously irritated but not blocked. If it's crystals that are causing the irritation, shouldn't the UR food be helping that? And if it's not crystals but idiopathic cystitis, what can they even do for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

We've covered driving with cats, but how about flying? I'm moving from New England to Florida in a few months, and I've been considering flying my cat over instead of taking him with me when I drive. Jetblue allows small animals, so that's good - but I am worried about his anxiety, him making noise, getting him sedated or at least calmed down, etc.

Are there medications or anything I can do to help him calm down on the plane/car ride? And I'll also have to get a solid crate for him...