Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thel
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aoIy89mSk8 - not sure if people have seen this before, it's a documentary of Miguel Ángel Pérez Lasa, a La Liga referee. In Spanish, obviously - but the subtitling is pretty good. Includes quite a bit of in-game mike feed as well.

Also - my god I'd go nuts if I had to ref there, what a shitshow. Seems like the players play the ref almost as much as they play the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

^^^^That is a good one. If you liked that and want more, here is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpo6JS6RX2M

From Euro 2008. Both are quality.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.
That Kill the Ref one was pretty drat good. Terrifying in a way, not because of the threat, but just because of how intense the whole thing is. Great mic dialogue too, I never cease to enjoy hearing what they're saying on the mics. Are there any other sort of high-level reffing documentaries that show what it's like to be at that level?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

One day someone's going to post the David Elleray one on Youtube from 1990 where Tony Adams calls him a loving cheat and he totally bottles sending him off.

There is the quite dull Graham Poll one that Inside Sport did right after the World Cup, featuring one of the less credible pieces of dramatic re-enactment ever shown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p0dVrR9zwM

He pulls over on the way to his first game back, to have a jolly good think about things (about 3:45). I understand why it's there, it's to show the many times he must have had that debate within himself at home over the close season, possibly even that morning; but I just don't buy that he'd stop the car if there wasn't a camera crew there to see it.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
Half the field doesn't have lines; the ones that are drawn aren't correct. I'm the only referee. Both teams show up 15min late. One team borrows 2 players from the other. I gave 2 PKs, and the game canceled after 80min due to darkness. What a weird game.

In the first minute of "kill the Ref" there's a scene where one AR knights the other with the flag. I want a gif of that so bad...

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

I watched all three of those, and man...top flight really doesn't seem like it's much fun. Even with the ability to be smugtastic and as well known as the players, these guys seem like they're praying each week for their lives not to end miserably in a Graham Poll deathspiral.

Bio-Hazard - here if the teams aren't there at kickoff, it's abandoned and you go home, and receive full pay. If there were some people there I'd maybe here them out, but...what league was that? It sounds almost as weird as some of the games I did out in the outskirts of the Phoenix area.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Trin Tragula posted:

David Elleray

Forgot about that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ruNosLNOE

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

AVBrafaDiMatteo posted:

That Kill the Ref one was pretty drat good. Terrifying in a way, not because of the threat, but just because of how intense the whole thing is. Great mic dialogue too, I never cease to enjoy hearing what they're saying on the mics. Are there any other sort of high-level reffing documentaries that show what it's like to be at that level?

I've attended a presentation by Darren Cann and Mike Mullarkey, who were Howard Webb's ARs at the last World Cup, including the Final. They touched upon this. It did boil down to ABC (Accurate, Brief, Concise) and I think they used a clip from the 'Kill The Ref' one to demonstrate. It was very clear: 'Howard, stop it, stop it... caution for X' and so on.

Another one I remember from a different presentation was that when there might be an offside flag coming (a player is in an offside position, but the AR is waiting to see if he becomes active) is that the assistant will say into the comms 'Holding, holding...' so the referee knows it might be coming.

As a side note, both Darren and Mike are incredibly down to earth. Great insight into the sort of character that hits the highest levels!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This has probably my favourite moment of anything ever. I'd love to see the whole thing, but I'm happy with the clips of George Graham turning up for a moan and retreating again at 25 backpedals per minute.

"George, I'd love for you to have a quick word now!"
"...Ah'd rather not..."

Mewcenary posted:

As a side note, both Darren and Mike are incredibly down to earth. Great insight into the sort of character that hits the highest levels!

When I bothered with society meetings I was in the same one as Phil Sharp, who did the 2002 final with Collina, the last year they mixed appointments up instead of having national fours. Always there, always willing to chat about anything at all, especially if you weren't one of the ones who made a beeline for him at the bar, and immediately went "'ere, that offside you give last Saturday...". He showed me how to run sideways once, and I don't think I've ever done a game since then without having at least one moment where being able to do that proved really useful.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

He showed me how to run sideways once, and I don't think I've ever done a game since then without having at least one moment where being able to do that proved really useful.

This is probably one of those things that you've gotta see to understand, but is this like side-skipping, or just running one direction while swivelling your shoulders/neck to look another? I can already run backwards at like 70% of normal pace and sideskip about 80%.

Also, whistle time! Had my first assessment on Saturday, and (aside from turning away from goalmouth situations too soon after the goalie saves and missing potential flashpoints), the only sticking point was my whistling being a touch quiet (coming from a floorball background where I only have to cover 40x20m indoor vs covering 100m by 70m outdoor, it's understandable - but something I need to fix because nobody respects a ref with a quiet whistle). She did say my foul whistling was better (I had one meaty tackle about 10 minutes in where I gave my whistle both barrels), just my baseline start-game whistle was pretty quiet.

I'm using a Fox 40 pearl at the moment, thinking about grabbing a sonik blast. Or is the sonik blast overkill and I should just learn to blow a whistle properly? I might grab a sonik blast anyway as my "handbags coming up; time to break some ears" whistle.

Side note: got plaudits for *not* whistling fair upper body contact, there was one point where I was tempted but couldn't figure out which way the call should go so I left it. Attacker running down the sideline forcefully shrugged off the defender (who landed up about ten yards out of play and nearly collected a toddler in a stroller - think like Drogba vs. that Man U defender I can't remember the name of), cuts inside and starts running along the goalline (about 2 yards inside it). Center half hustles back and (with shoulder to shoulder contact; no elbows and without launching himself into the guy) plants the attacker on his arse just inside the penalty area, collects the ball and puts a pin-point pass cross-field about 40 yards. Shouts for a penalty from the attackers, I wave them off figuring "what goes around comes around".

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
When I mentioned to some friends that I'd watched a youtube on how to blow a whistle they thought I was crazy, but I've found this technique very helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B5CxlBo0JA

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Thel posted:

This is probably one of those things that you've gotta see to understand, but is this like side-skipping, or just running one direction while swivelling your shoulders/neck to look another? I can already run backwards at like 70% of normal pace and sideskip about 80%.

It's kinda hard to explain because it was really helpful to have someone there who knew what he was doing to make sure I wasn't shredding my back, but basically you start in the side-stepping position, then you start crossing your feet over and taking full-speed running steps while at the same time twisting your hips back against yourself to keep your body pointing at a 90-degree angle - with practice you can go at ~95% of a full forward sprint, and it's easier to slow and change direction than sidestepping because your feet are in contact with the ground more often. It's definitely something you need to practice, or else you'll rupture something or trip over yourself.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

It's kinda hard to explain because it was really helpful to have someone there who knew what he was doing to make sure I wasn't shredding my back, but basically you start in the side-stepping position, then you start crossing your feet over and taking full-speed running steps while at the same time twisting your hips back against yourself to keep your body pointing at a 90-degree angle - with practice you can go at ~95% of a full forward sprint, and it's easier to slow and change direction than sidestepping because your feet are in contact with the ground more often. It's definitely something you need to practice, or else you'll rupture something or trip over yourself.

Sounds like you need to take up ballet ;-)

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Thel posted:

I'm using a Fox 40 pearl at the moment, thinking about grabbing a sonik blast. Or is the sonik blast overkill and I should just learn to blow a whistle properly? I might grab a sonik blast anyway as my "handbags coming up; time to break some ears" whistle.

My first recommendation is for you to take the Fox 40 Pearl, and burn it.

I do own one, but it is definitely only as an emergency backup in the event of me being involved in a tournament, and there is a clash with a referee on a nearby pitch. I'd also switch to the Pearl should I change careers to be a train conductor.

I used the Sonik Blast for a season. Ultimately, I moved away from it: The tone isn't too good and it is too loud. I'm now using the Classic Eclipse, which is brilliant. All the sound of the Fox 40, but in a modern shape with a built-in mouthguard. It's really easy to hold and use. Recommended.

Don't get it in any colour other than black though please!

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Mewcenary posted:

My first recommendation is for you to take the Fox 40 Pearl, and burn it.

I do own one, but it is definitely only as an emergency backup in the event of me being involved in a tournament, and there is a clash with a referee on a nearby pitch. I'd also switch to the Pearl should I change careers to be a train conductor.

I used the Sonik Blast for a season. Ultimately, I moved away from it: The tone isn't too good and it is too loud. I'm now using the Classic Eclipse, which is brilliant. All the sound of the Fox 40, but in a modern shape with a built-in mouthguard. It's really easy to hold and use. Recommended.

Don't get it in any colour other than black though please!

Ahaha, went to shop online for a fox 40 and their shipping rate was $102.80. For two whistles (sonik blast + classic eclipse). What the gently caress. And Amazon can't ship these to NZ. Double WTF.

Time to talk to my local sports shop and see if they'll stock anything aside from Lotto whistles.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Ah, just get a classic Fox 40. Bugger the new models, in the grand scheme of things they're just a very successful way to squeeze more money out of whistle fanatics.

(I hate Fox 40s, but the one thing they are useful for is that it's completely impossible to blow them so they sound okay to you and poo poo and indecisive to everyone else; either you get something that'll get attention, or nothing at all.)

GOM
Jan 13, 2001

PWM POTM, September 2013

President & Founding Member of Cardiac Crew (x2)
I just wanted to remind you all that, in the Alabama High School Athletic Association, they use Fuchsia referee jerseys.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

http://www.gerrydavis.com/mm5/category/AHSAA/product/UALSK131

quote:

That's all appearance, and we think you'll like the "only one shirt to carry" approach.

I can't remember ever having wanted to go to Alabama before. There's a first time for everything!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Trin Tragula posted:

It's kinda hard to explain because it was really helpful to have someone there who knew what he was doing to make sure I wasn't shredding my back, but basically you start in the side-stepping position, then you start crossing your feet over and taking full-speed running steps while at the same time twisting your hips back against yourself to keep your body pointing at a 90-degree angle

Kinda like a QB drop, would you say?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Ran my second line today (men's prem again), got to see my first red card in my time refereeing. In the 10th minute of the game. For violent conduct - throwing the ball after being fouled. (Good throw actually - struck the tackler in the face even though he tried to dodge.)

God, people do the stupidest things.

Was in the clubrooms after (just me and the referee) and the home club guys were having a bit of a bitch about the senior AR's previous performance (he reffed the division below solo immediately prior to the game), apparently there were two soft penalties and some very very dodgy cards besides. Makes me wonder what the teams say about *my* reffing once they get back to the sheds. :v: (Admittedly I haven't given a penalty yet in five games [in retrospect there's one dead cert penalty that I bottled] and only one caution...)

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009

Thel posted:

Ran my second line today (men's prem again), got to see my first red card in my time refereeing. In the 10th minute of the game. For violent conduct - throwing the ball after being fouled. (Good throw actually - struck the tackler in the face even though he tried to dodge.)

God, people do the stupidest things.

Was in the clubrooms after (just me and the referee) and the home club guys were having a bit of a bitch about the senior AR's previous performance (he reffed the division below solo immediately prior to the game), apparently there were two soft penalties and some very very dodgy cards besides. Makes me wonder what the teams say about *my* reffing once they get back to the sheds. :v: (Admittedly I haven't given a penalty yet in five games [in retrospect there's one dead cert penalty that I bottled] and only one caution...)

Since we don't have clubhouses, or actually anything but "whatever corner of the field is farthest away from the spectators," I can assure you it's 90% talk about how whatever calls were made against them were bullshit, and that you're cheats. I've been asked how much I've been bribed countless times, all the down to the u12 level.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

AVBrafaDiMatteo posted:

Since we don't have clubhouses, or actually anything but "whatever corner of the field is farthest away from the spectators," I can assure you it's 90% talk about how whatever calls were made against them were bullshit, and that you're cheats. I've been asked how much I've been bribed countless times, all the down to the u12 level.

Shouldnt you technically be reporting players that accuse you of taking bribes to the league?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Double-header this weekend, first is between two teams with a reputation for dirty play and then I have an under-17 game on Sunday between this season's front-runner and last season's winner (currently #3). Getting a box ready to send the reports in by parcel post already.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Thel posted:

Double-header this weekend, first is between two teams with a reputation for dirty play and then I have an under-17 game on Sunday between this season's front-runner and last season's winner (currently #3). Getting a box ready to send the reports in by parcel post already.

Turns out the first game was almost perfectly clean, no cards and no major dramas. The U17 game though, holy hell. The parents are worse at U12/U13, but holy jesus are the players at U17 complete pricks. Only two cautions during the game, although I had to yell myself almost hoarse to keep it under control. One was for silly handbags after the whistle, second was for turning around and yelling at me "you're having a poo poo game ref". Dumbass. (In retrospect I probably should've made it red for foul language ...)

Ruined my five-game no-caution streak. :( (I'm not one of these "I don't card because I don't want the paperwork" refs, but I tend to apply common sense to most of my decisions, and I've been lucky that most of my games the players have turned up to play football rather than hack each others' ankles...)

e: Gave my first penalty today too! :D (sliding tackle from behind in the box, he did get the ball but he absolutely cleaned out the attacker beforehand, I should've probably given a yellow for the tackle but by the time I'd figured that out everyone was back on their feet and I lost track of which player it was)

Thel fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 2, 2013

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Thel posted:

The second was for turning around and yelling at me "you're having a poo poo game ref". Dumbass. (In retrospect I probably should've made it red for foul language ...)

"Maybe, but at least I've got this decision right."

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

"Maybe, but at least I've got this decision right."

Honestly, if you can get away with just giving them a talking to then you're doing fine. Best to at least address it though.

Personally, I just finished the State Cup Finals this weekend. I ended up giving a penalty and booked the GK in the 4th minute. Presence and positioning were key in selling that call. The GK is lucky it was towards the edge of the penalty area near the goal line or it would have been red. And seeing it's my first time posting in the thread, I've been refereeing for 4 years now and am licensed through USSF, NFHS, and NISOA.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jhet posted:

Honestly, if you can get away with just giving them a talking to then you're doing fine. Best to at least address it though.

See, this is why I now primarily do other sports. You shouldn't have to think this way; you should just be able to send off without hesitation, and then you wouldn't have to ever do it (if you see what I mean).

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Trin Tragula posted:

See, this is why I now primarily do other sports. You shouldn't have to think this way; you should just be able to send off without hesitation, and then you wouldn't have to ever do it (if you see what I mean).

Yep, for comparison's sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ruNosLNOE&t=105s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EV-aM3j0kg&t=115s

Honestly, the abuse isn't even the worst part of the job, it's the mentality that it's somehow part of the game and part of our job to put up with it. If someone told me I was having a poo poo game, I would have to be very certain not another soul on the field heard it before I would consider anything less than red. And that's if I'm feeling charitable.

(luckily the 12 year olds I'm typically tasked with haven't quite developed that kind of vocabulary yet, but the idea still infuriates me)

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Six days until my Level 4 fitness test. Nothing too dramatic: 2600 metre run (minimum) in 12 minutes, and 2 x 50m sprints in 7.5 seconds each. Also had to get a certified blood pressure reading to confirm it is less than 140/something and therefore I am not too likely to keel over during the test. Amusingly, this is signed by the nurse just above where I need to put my Next of Kin details...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hope you like pasta, because you should be carb-loading like buggery about now. Scoring high on these tests when you don't need to to pass them is a really easy way of getting people to know who you are.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 3, 2013

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

In some cases, yes, I would definitely agree it's a send off. But I wouldn't say it's entirely necessary in all cases. I'm not saying that you should expect or enjoy putting up with it, but I don't know many people who don't yell at sport on the TV just as much. I've got a thick hide as a referee because most of the time it's just misplaced frustration. If they keep going after I try talking to them, they're packing their bag and their team is playing short. Personally, I get frustrated when tournament organizers try to say that any foul language needs to be a send off. But that's because not all foul language is equal. In the example above where the player said that "you're having a poo poo game ref", depending on the volume and situation, it very well could have been red. If you're not going to make it red though, it is something that needs to be dealt with by having a talk with the player.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jhet posted:

In some cases, yes, I would definitely agree it's a send off. But I wouldn't say it's entirely necessary in all cases. I'm not saying that you should expect or enjoy putting up with it, but I don't know many people who don't yell at sport on the TV just as much. I've got a thick hide as a referee because most of the time it's just misplaced frustration. If they keep going after I try talking to them, they're packing their bag and their team is playing short. Personally, I get frustrated when tournament organizers try to say that any foul language needs to be a send off. But that's because not all foul language is equal. In the example above where the player said that "you're having a poo poo game ref", depending on the volume and situation, it very well could have been red. If you're not going to make it red though, it is something that needs to be dealt with by having a talk with the player.

I hear the 'misplaced frustration' line a lot and frankly its a load of bollocks. They act like that because its allowed. You do not get anywhere near the level of abuse in Rugby that you do in Football. And do you think a cricketer wrongly given out would dare say 'gently caress off Umpire that was wrong'? Not a chance, they just accept it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jhet posted:

I've got a thick hide as a referee because most of the time it's just misplaced frustration.

If the sport as a whole does not accept the frustration being placed there, then the individual finds some other place for their frustration to go. It really is that simple. I remember I used to be quite proud of being thick-skinned, and then I went and did something else, and suddenly my enthusiasm for football almost completely flatlined after having been somewhere that doesn't just tolerate me stamping all over the stupid petty shite that leads to the big nasty stuff, it expects me to.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

If the sport as a whole does not accept the frustration being placed there, then the individual finds some other place for their frustration to go. It really is that simple. I remember I used to be quite proud of being thick-skinned, and then I went and did something else, and suddenly my enthusiasm for football almost completely flatlined after having been somewhere that doesn't just tolerate me stamping all over the stupid petty shite that leads to the big nasty stuff, it expects me to.

That's fair. Your mileage may vary and all. I rarely have problems and I've never had problems more than once in a match. I'm not saying that I just sit there and tolerate it, because I don't. I just deal with it in a way that let's everyone know what isn't going to be tolerated and that sets the tone. I'm definitely not advocating that anyone just let the players walk over them with language and insults. I am advocating that we apply some sense to it. Was it personal, provocative, or public? If it fits all the categories there, I'm sending them off. If it only ticks one of those boxes, I'm likely to attempt to stamp it out before it progresses further and will either book for Dissent or not depending on the conversation I have prior to cautioning the player.

To me, this is all just part of game management. We didn't even show a yellow or red card prior to the 1970 World Cup. So yes, other sports might treat this all differently, but for this instance and sport, there's many different routes to get to the same place. It's part of the reason we're able to ignore someone exclaiming and using vulgar language to vent frustration--the "poo poo!" exclamations largely to themselves after giving up a foul--and the version that should get them sent off--the "Ref are you loving blind! I got the ball!" yelled at the top of their lungs for everyone at the field to hear. The 2nd is a send off, no question or leeway about it. I've had people try to tell me that the first should also be a send off though, and that's the misnomer that I'd advise against. The former is that misplaced frustration that I'm talking about, the later is not.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
So this was a topic of discussion on another message board I frequent

http://trib.com/sports/soccer/quebec-soccer-leaders-cite-safety-on-turban-bans/article_1b5398be-23a7-5ed3-b50e-d221b641055a.html

quote:

The Quebec Soccer Federation says if Sikh kids want to play soccer while wearing a turban there's an easy solution: They can play in their own yard.

Quebec is the only province in Canada that has balked at allowing turbans on the field. As a result, about 100 to 200 youngsters are unable to play.

Brigitte Frot, director general of the provincial association, says the reason to maintain the ban is for player safety. She was asked what she would tell a 5-year-old boy in a turban who shows up to register to play soccer with his friends.

"They can play in their backyard, but not with official referees, not in the official rules of soccer," Frot replied. "They have no choice."

Do your associations give you any guidance if something like this came up for you? Never had a kid try to wear any head gear but I am in suburban Houston which is just white and mexican kids playing

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ayb posted:

So this was a topic of discussion on another message board I frequent

http://trib.com/sports/soccer/quebec-soccer-leaders-cite-safety-on-turban-bans/article_1b5398be-23a7-5ed3-b50e-d221b641055a.html

Do your associations give you any guidance if something like this came up for you? Never had a kid try to wear any head gear but I am in suburban Houston which is just white and mexican kids playing

USSF guidance is if it's for religious purposes and doesn't pose a safety risk, let them play. I think Quebec has lost the plot on this one. There's nothing inherently dangerous about a turban unless it's covered in pointy things. The LotG speak only to the safety factor, so if it doesn't look like it's dangerous, I'd consider it in the same realm of other headgear that we allow players to use like those padded head things that are supposed to help against concussions. So far I've only had players wear the protective kind, but I'd let them wear their turbans provided they didn't have big needles or pins in them.

It seems to me they might have more trouble with the rules in hockey than the LotG with football. I know it came up a few years ago in Ireland, but I do wonder what the IFAB have to say about it. I'm not sure what they're on about with Law 4 forbidding it. There's nothing in the LotG that forbids headgear so long as it isn't dangerous. Jewelry, yes, but headgear isn't jewelry. I'd be interested in hearing how this upholds the spirit of the law, because I just don't see it.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
Took my Level 4 fitness test this morning. I elected to do this in June rather than July to get it out of the way.

Kicked off at 9am and I'm not a fan of early starts for stuff like this, but I made it! I ran 2780 metres over the 12 minutes, with the required standard for level 4 being 2600 metres. No problem with the sprinting element either (2 x 50m sprints in 7.5 seconds each).

Happily, all those present managed to pass which was good.

Now to rest!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mewcenary posted:

Took my Level 4 fitness test this morning. I elected to do this in June rather than July to get it out of the way.

Kicked off at 9am and I'm not a fan of early starts for stuff like this, but I made it! I ran 2780 metres over the 12 minutes, with the required standard for level 4 being 2600 metres. No problem with the sprinting element either (2 x 50m sprints in 7.5 seconds each).

Happily, all those present managed to pass which was good.

Now to rest!

Congratulations! I'm shooting for the level 6 this year myself. It would be 2400 meters but we're doing the interval test this year instead of the Cooper test. So I'm not entirely sure what timing standards they're going to use, unless they're just going to use the National Referee standards. If they do, I have a feeling we're going to see some strange passes and failures. It'll be the first year we're using it for all grade levels. The interval test being 35s to run 150m, then 40s to walk 50m. It's done 10-14 times, so it'll be a treat. The distance turns out to be about the same, but the time spent running/walking will be interesting.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Jhet posted:

Congratulations! I'm shooting for the level 6 this year myself. It would be 2400 meters but we're doing the interval test this year instead of the Cooper test. So I'm not entirely sure what timing standards they're going to use, unless they're just going to use the National Referee standards. If they do, I have a feeling we're going to see some strange passes and failures. It'll be the first year we're using it for all grade levels. The interval test being 35s to run 150m, then 40s to walk 50m. It's done 10-14 times, so it'll be a treat. The distance turns out to be about the same, but the time spent running/walking will be interesting.

To do as well as you can on the interval test, you need to train specifically for it. Also, don't go out all guns blazing and do the first 150m in 20 seconds, you should be aiming for 32-33 seconds consistently. You don't get any bonus points for sprinting through the first 8 reps if you crash and burn on the 9th.

Two games on turf this weekend - I actually prefer turf slightly because, even though it's a bit harder on my ankles, I don't have to watch my footing nearly as much (our grass fields could double as minefields in a few places...). Cleaning the rubber bits out of my boots afterward is a pain in the rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Thel posted:

To do as well as you can on the interval test, you need to train specifically for it. Also, don't go out all guns blazing and do the first 150m in 20 seconds, you should be aiming for 32-33 seconds consistently. You don't get any bonus points for sprinting through the first 8 reps if you crash and burn on the 9th.

Two games on turf this weekend - I actually prefer turf slightly because, even though it's a bit harder on my ankles, I don't have to watch my footing nearly as much (our grass fields could double as minefields in a few places...). Cleaning the rubber bits out of my boots afterward is a pain in the rear end though.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll have to go see how my time is right now. The distance isn't a lot different than the Cooper Test, but the variation is going to be different. I have a month and a half to work on it at least.

I don't mind the artificial surfaces unless it's 95F+. Then I'd rather try my luck with the hard and dusty mine fields that don't ever seem to get a break.

• Locked thread