Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Ten Count question, since I've been reading the WCW thread lately; what would the logical next step have been if WCW didn't screw up Sting-Hogan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Ten Count question: What does Dave Meltzer have to say about the subject?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Ten Count question: What would the WWE be like today if Brock Lesnar hadn't quit in 2004?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Triple H is out to troll poor Dave Meltzer.

Extreme Rules Post Show Radio: Dave Meltzer "I gotta give a lot of credit to Triple H. He really did business here."

Post Extreme Rules RAW Radio Show: Dave Meltzer "WTF was Triple H doing burying this guy!"

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Listening to a 2008 WO show, in which Alvarez suggests forming a team in AAA between Teddy Hart and Juventud Guerrera called "The Dipshits."

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Thanks for the great questions, guys. We'll get to as many as we can in the next Ten Count. Keep them coming!

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

The Goog posted:

Thanks for the great questions, guys. We'll get to as many as we can in the next Ten Count. Keep them coming!

In that case, have another one that's been bugging me; if John Cena is this generation's Hulk Hogan, would it be fair to call CM Punk this generation's Macho Man?

Edit: And another I thought of on my way home; since this week's episode mentioned a stabbing, how is pro wrestling different if Bruiser Brody isn't killed (assuming it would be)?

BlueArmyMan fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 21, 2013

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

BlueArmyMan posted:

In that case, have another one that's been bugging me; if John Cena is this generation's Hulk Hogan, would it be fair to call CM Punk this generation's Macho Man?

AJ left our generation's Macho Man for our generation's Lex Luger

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bob Holly sounds a lot like Mike Sempervive to me for some reason

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 21, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BlueArmyMan posted:

And if so, what does that make Daniel Bryan?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I Before E posted:

And if so, what does that make Daniel Bryan?
This generation's Ricky Steamboat?

You can't really make a comparrison in this way beyond Hulk/Macho. It worked for Austin and Rock, it works for Cena and Punk. Beyond that, everything gets muddy and weird.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

10 Count:

You're Triple H and you've decided you want to sabotage WWE from the inside. However, you're a busy man so you only have time to book a single angle to accomplish this task. What do you do to cause the most amount of damage to business?

The year is 1996. Hulk Hogan has used all his clout and cashed in every favor he's ever been owed in the business to bring in Yokozuna and Ultimate Warrior instead of The Outsiders. Do you do the nWo angle exactly as written or come up with something completely different?

oatgan fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 22, 2013

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

How good are his armdrags?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

Bob Holly sounds a lot like Mike Sempervive to me for some reason

Once it has been heard it can't be unheard. :staredog:

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Does anyone else find it cute when Dave and Bryan dance around revealing their sources, like in today's observer when it was obviously Brock who called Dave and told him about the diverticulitis.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Does anyone else find it cute when Dave and Bryan dance around revealing their sources, like in today's observer when it was obviously Brock who called Dave and told him about the diverticulitis.

Oh for sure. My favorite is the Montreal Screwjob where he lists the details of a private booking meeting with like five guys and it's like "Yeah, right I wonder who it was?"

All though to be fair it could have been Patterson who was a source, Cornette who I'm 90% sure was a source so it's not a or maybe even JR who is at least on good terms with Dave

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Dave's source talk is always really interesting.
I was disappointed Bryan didn't ask if it was Sable.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Did they ever put up the Alvarez/Sweeney/Ruckus/Delirious swim trunk match up on YouTube?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ten Count Question: What are some of the more successful gimmicks in Pro Wrestling and why do you think they succeeded? I know Undertaker is obvious, but I'd still like to hear your take on why.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Ten Count: Congratulations on becoming a pro wrestler! Today you have been booked for your very first match. Who would you like to wrestle in this match, and in what promotion? Bonus points if you think it'll be any good.

if you pick CHIKARA it won't be good

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LividLiquid posted:

You can't really make a comparrison in this way beyond Hulk/Macho. It worked for Austin and Rock, it works for Cena and Punk. Beyond that, everything gets muddy and weird.
Everyone else is a mix of at least two guys:

Dolph-somewhere between Billy Gunn and Mr. Perfect

Bryan-Bret/Shawn hybrid

I'm not even sure who to compare Orton to. Jake and Austin?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Perigryn posted:

Everyone else is a mix of at least two guys:

Dolph-somewhere between Billy Gunn and Mr. Perfect

Bryan-Bret/Shawn hybrid

I'm not even sure who to compare Orton to. Jake and Austin?

He's 1 part Jake, 3 parts water.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

I Before E posted:

He's 1 part Jake, 3 parts water.
and who knows how much of baby oil.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Got lots of wrestling questions on the brain, Ten Count!

Considering how many new WWE guys got signed from them, are the indies basically the new territory system?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
HEY YO TEN COUNT: what two wrestlers (current or all-time) have the best overall chemistry (meaning in-ring and on the mic) and what does the word "chemistry" mean to you?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Bob Holly came across pretty well on Wrestling Observer. Worth while listen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Bob Holly came across pretty well on Wrestling Observer. Worth while listen.

Enough that I'm reconsidering some thoughts I have on him.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Holly came across as a human being and not a raving psychopath like he's basically been portrayed a lot on the Internet. I don't think he really addressed either the Dupree or Cappotelli incidents in a way that amounted to more than, "Well, poo poo happens," but he didn't act like what he did was some kind of highly moral thing.

After listening to him, my opinion of Holly improved some, and my opinion of Ross in the 90s went down some due to the Bart Gunn situation.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Honestly I don't really like the "I was just doing my job stiffing the poo poo out of guys." line. I thought it was really funny his last lines about how he hoped Dave had changed his opinion on him. Either the guy is genuinely humble or he can really bullshit, that's for sure.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Rodney the Piper posted:

After listening to him, my opinion of Holly improved some, and my opinion of Ross in the 90s went down some due to the Bart Gunn situation.

Can we have the Bart Gunn story? :kiddo:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Can we have the Bart Gunn story? :kiddo:

Same one we've all heard but with a bit more flavour.

Whole Brawl For All thing was conceived as a way to get Steve Williams over. JR crowed about this to everybody, pointing out that Williams was going to kick everybody's rear end and the whole thing would be a cake walk. Bart Gunn and all the boys were bored of this and Gunn told Pat Patterson that he was going to beat Steve Williams. Pat shrugged it off and Gunn decided to knock Williams out because if he didn't they'd still score in favour of Williams anyway.

Gunn knocks out Williams, the boys all cheer (Not because they didn't like Dr Death, they were just fed up with JR) and JR got so mad that he decided that he was going to ruin Gunn's career and since the WWF had already paid Williams to be a main eventer and feud with Steve Austin which they couldn't do now the WWE booked him to get his head kicked in by Butterbean rather than give Gunn the feud. Gunn then went off to Japan and made money over there because Japan knew what a big deal this was.

Edit:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDgwNDM5MzU2.html

You could really see that they were trying to build up Steve Williams and were really shocked that Bart Gunn won. Even after Williams lost they were talking him up like the tough guy and pretty much ignoring Bart Gunn. Whole thing was a really stupid idea but the way Williams was clearly gassed by the third round and flailing with his punched really shows that they did not think this through.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 22, 2013

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Gonzo's summary is good.

I can't say that I would have wanted Bart Gunn as a major star, but in wrestling, if you have a guy that's hot, you should try to make money with him. I can't say while I was watching at the time that Gunn was coming off as a major star, but if the plan is you push the Brawl for All winner as a bad rear end, then you should have done that. It might not have worked, but the planned Williams push likely wouldn't have worked because he was more or less done by that point in his career.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wouldn't say Bart Gunn was hot at all coming off that Brawl For All thing. I mean, I guess he was better off having won it than before, but the crowd didn't give a poo poo about the BFA one bit.

It's actually kind of sad, watching these jobbers legit beat the crap out of each other and the crowd being bored and just wanting Austin or something.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Brawl For All wasn't a great success by any stretch. They could have just stuck Gunn in the midcard. But to put him against Butterbean at WrestleMania was a total joke and only done with the intention of burying Gunn to get petty revenge.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Rodney the Piper posted:

Brawl For All wasn't a great success by any stretch. They could have just stuck Gunn in the midcard. But to put him against Butterbean at WrestleMania was a total joke and only done with the intention of burying Gunn to get petty revenge.

Bart Gunn probably got a better payoff for getting knocked out at WrestleMania then he got the rest of the year. You gotta love ProWrestling where in order to get revenge on someone you book him in a special match with a celebrity boxer on the biggest show of the year and then pay the man a bunch of money afterwards.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Paying someone a bunch of money in order to humiliate them is Vince McMahon 101

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm reading Holly's book right now, and it's not bad. He's not a brilliant writer or anything but it feels pretty honest, and he doesn't really apologize for the dumb poo poo he does. He really thinks that's just the way the business was/is and he was just doing his job. I don't know if that makes him a better or worse person, but I can at least respect that he owns up to everything and doesn't try to put himself over.

edit: the funniest thing is that Holly was trained at the "K. Fabin School of Wrestling," there's a scan of a card they gave him in the book.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 23, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In this week's observer: Billy Corgan is no mug.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Swagger Dagger posted:

edit: the funniest thing is that Holly was trained at the "K. Fabin School of Wrestling," there's a scan of a card they gave him in the book.

Could you post a picture? That's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

This week's Observer was epic. I really enjoyed the What-if stuff, even if I had heard some of it before.

• Locked thread