Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
He's retiring at the end of his term.

Which is odd, because he's relatively young and only served two terms. He was elected to the Senate in the same year Obama was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Edit: ^^^ - loving naturally.

Indeed. I know, Oklahoma. But this guy's literally turning to his own constituency and going "Homeless? Out of power? Whole town flattened? gently caress you, you're not getting poo poo until I starve the beast!"

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
No one will remember. It will be forgotten in the 24 hour noise machine.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

No one will remember. It will be forgotten in the 24 hour noise machine.

As someone who has survived several major natural disasters, including Katrina and an f4 tornado that destroyed my house, no, they will not forget how their governors acted. They really, really won't. Well ok, I sure didn't and neither did the rest of New Orleans. Which is why we elected bobby Jin- :negative:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Is the voting population of the rest of Louisiana large enough to counteract New Orleans' voters? Maybe they voted Jindal in as an explicit 'gently caress you' to the bl--I mean, to the urban population of New Orleans.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Dr. Faustus posted:

Can you buy insurance on the exchange at subsidized rates if you are employed and your employer offers a plan? My company offers a plan but the deductions are horrible and the cost is prohibitive. I thought if your employer offered... anything... you were stuck with it, and not eligible for any subsidy (I make less than 4X poverty level for a single guy so the subsidy would be very welcome.)

I'm still hosed, aren't I? Just not as hosed as everybody else.

The employer plans must meet certain standards for affordability, unless they meet the (very loose) requirements for being grandfathered. So probably, yeah, you're still hosed.

When the health plan applications open up in October, turn in an application to make sure. Can't hurt.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is the voting population of the rest of Louisiana large enough to counteract New Orleans' voters? Maybe they voted Jindal in as an explicit 'gently caress you' to the bl--I mean, to the urban population of New Orleans.

A lot of New Orleans' bloc of black voters got literally scattered to the winds by Katrina, so the storm had a direct effect in damaging the heart of the Democratic voter base in the state.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Obama won Orleans by 100k votes, Baton Rouge and Shreveport by a combined 15k. He lost the state by 300k. The other big cities are either slightly Dem or skew conservative, like Lafayette (Romney +30k). Also the Louisiana prison system I'd the loving worst, so lots of disenfranchised blacks! Oh and voter ID.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh hey look who's back

Steven Crowder released a video titled

JESUS VS. MUHAMMAD!! (Qur'an Challenge II)

In it is the portrayal of the prophet as a pedophile and throwing rocks at women. Stay classy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wouldn't it be against Islamic dogma to show a picture of Jesus too, since by their religion he was an important prophet?

Hmmn I wonder why they always mock muslims for this and don't care about the many Christian denominations that forbid iconography?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am more fascinated by the pains to make Mohammad appear ethnic when played by a white actor when Jesus is just presented as lily white.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Spiritus Nox posted:

For lack of a better place to ask - have Inhofe or any other prominent right wing types said anything about federal aid to Oklahoma? Are they even going to try and reconcile accepting that aid with voting down aid for Sandy victims?

Senator Jim Inhofe: Oklahoma Tornado Aid Will Be 'Totally Different' From Sandy Aid

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that many of Crowder's criticism of Mohamed are true, but he continues the myth that Jesus was all peace and love. Interesting Crowder doesn't do a comparison of the Bible and the Torah, as it would be much more obviously laughable for him to trash the one and not the other. Or how about Crowder reconciles Christ's teachings with his own politics?

Also Stephen Crowder is a giant douche. I can't post about him and not mention this.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

greatn posted:

Wouldn't it be against Islamic dogma to show a picture of Jesus too, since by their religion he was an important prophet?

Hmmn I wonder why they always mock muslims for this and don't care about the many Christian denominations that forbid iconography?

No, I think that is specifically a restriction against depicting Mohammed, not against prophets in general like Jesus or I assume Buddha.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

JoshTheStampede posted:

No, I think that is specifically a restriction against depicting Mohammed, not against prophets in general like Jesus or I assume Buddha.

It changes with fashion and with region. These days creating images of Mohammed is considered more or less universally prohibited, but that wasn't always the case:

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

JoshTheStampede posted:

Buddha isn't an Abrahamic prophet. Jesus is, he is specifically mentioned in the Qur'an.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Zeroisanumber posted:

It changes with fashion and with region. These days creating images of Mohammed is considered more or less universally prohibited, but that wasn't always the case:

That's a cool picture. Is that Mohammed on the right? Do you know who those are on the left?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ocean Book posted:

That's a cool picture. Is that Mohammed on the right? Do you know who those are on the left?

Mohammed is on the right. Jesus, Abraham, and "others" are on the left.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

catch22 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that many of Crowder's criticism of Mohamed are true, but he continues the myth that Jesus was all peace and love.

Is there a dark side to Jesus I should know about?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Miltank posted:

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. -Matthew 10:34

Also that passage where he kills a fig tree.

Oh, and all the deaths attributable to Christianity/ everything about Paul.

Edit: I'm being facetious here, before anybody jumps down my throat.

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Miltank posted:

In modern Christianity, or the USA version, the dark side of Jesus is when he's shown giving compassion and helping the poor, the sick, and the criminals. Oh and if it depicts Jesus as anything but long-haired and with light skin tone.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
White Nordic Jesus, the Only Plausible Jesus.

Steven Crowder does poo poo like this because deep down he knows that he is a talentless, despicable hack and that God doesn't exist. Basically everything he does is a result of his insecurities. Take, for example, this lovely article about how he couldn't/didn't get laid until after he got married. I don't see any reason to write this article except 1. To stick it to the cool kids (while simultaneously showing how much of a twat you are), or 2. Trying way too hard to justify a very questionable life decision, going so far as to out yourself about it just in case other people found out and decided to mock you later.

It's similar to the union trolling video he made where he goaded a guy into punching him in the face. Inside he knows that he was wrong and that the protests were civil and orderly, but he just had to be right so badly that he started the violence himself. This Muhammed vs Jesus thing is yet another manifestation of his insecurity. He has to know at some level that he cannot be 100% certain about the veracity of his religious beliefs, or about the veracity of claims about the life of Jesus, but instead of embracing that uncertainty as a natural and necessary part of faith, he goes out of his way to denigrate the faith of others, as if putting theirs down will elevate his.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Steven Crowder has to be a scientific experiment to make the most punchable face. His stupid smug face and lovely opinions dovetail too nicely to be coincidence.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

Steven Crowder has to be a scientific experiment to make the most punchable face. His stupid smug face and lovely opinions dovetail too nicely to be coincidence.

It's true! He's asking for it.

Nobody can resist!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Steven Crowder does poo poo like this because deep down he knows that he is a talentless, despicable hack and that God doesn't exist. Basically everything he does is a result of his insecurities. Take, for example, this lovely article about how he couldn't/didn't get laid until after he got married. I don't see any reason to write this article except 1. To stick it to the cool kids (while simultaneously showing how much of a twat you are), or 2. Trying way too hard to justify a very questionable life decision, going so far as to out yourself about it just in case other people found out and decided to mock you later.

It's similar to the union trolling video he made where he goaded a guy into punching him in the face. Inside he knows that he was wrong and that the protests were civil and orderly, but he just had to be right so badly that he started the violence himself. This Muhammed vs Jesus thing is yet another manifestation of his insecurity. He has to know at some level that he cannot be 100% certain about the veracity of his religious beliefs, or about the veracity of claims about the life of Jesus, but instead of embracing that uncertainty as a natural and necessary part of faith, he goes out of his way to denigrate the faith of others, as if putting theirs down will elevate his.

This is certainly an interesting analysis, but there's another, simpler option: dude is a total dick.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The most punchable face is Tucker Carlson. The next runner up is Chris Hayes. This is science.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The most punchable face is Tucker Carlson. The next runner up is Chris Hayes. This is science.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

drat you're right, this reads like some 14 year old writing a "Why I bought a dreamcast instead of playstation 2" article after getting made fun of about it too much.

After a lot of careful research, it turns out the way I did it is perfect and the way you did it was wrooooong. You know it and I know it. Also, I am on a tropical island (where there are some people who are wroooooong).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I punched my monitor. I hope you're loving happy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Is that even a face at this point? It's like the Mask of the Smug Mummy.

I fear you have made an unanswerable point.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

"Ditto"

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ceiling fan posted:

The employer plans must meet certain standards for affordability, unless they meet the (very loose) requirements for being grandfathered. So probably, yeah, you're still hosed.

When the health plan applications open up in October, turn in an application to make sure. Can't hurt.

I have a few friends who work for Pizza Hut, and it's been aggressively marketing it's employee health plan for the past few months with a bunch of provisions that won't be allowed under ACA. I can't remember the specifics, but I think it was something to do with agreeing to a cap on copayments or payment sharing that ACA would forbid. It was in the fine print and they sent a few pamphlets out to every employee, probably assuming people won't read the fine print / their minimum wage workers won't think to wait until half the poo poo in their plan isn't allowed anymore.

It's totally despicable.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Intel&Sebastian posted:

drat you're right, this reads like some 14 year old writing a "Why I bought a dreamcast instead of playstation 2" article after getting made fun of about it too much.

After a lot of careful research, it turns out the way I did it is perfect and the way you did it was wrooooong. You know it and I know it. Also, I am on a tropical island (where there are some people who are wroooooong).

Yeah, you basically just summed up his entire schtick.

Fandyien posted:

I have a few friends who work for Pizza Hut, and it's been aggressively marketing it's employee health plan for the past few months with a bunch of provisions that won't be allowed under ACA. I can't remember the specifics, but I think it was something to do with agreeing to a cap on copayments or payment sharing that ACA would forbid. It was in the fine print and they sent a few pamphlets out to every employee, probably assuming people won't read the fine print / their minimum wage workers won't think to wait until half the poo poo in their plan isn't allowed anymore.

It's totally despicable.

Don't worry, you just have to publicize this enough and the Free Market will kick in and people will stop eating Pizza Hut and they will be forced to offer a better health plan to their workers.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 22, 2013

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Somewhere scientists at the Douchebag Institute are combining the genes of Greg Gutfeld, Ben Shapiro, and Steven Crowder for sinister reasons.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Zeroisanumber posted:

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Good to know. Getting stabbed to death because you're in a bad relationship = justice. If my wife and I hit the skids, instead of leaving or getting divorced, I'll just stab her 25 times. What are your feelings on Nicole Brown Simpson? I heard she was driving OJ's Ferrari and loving some other dude.

There is some distance between "murder = justice" and "not really all that upset that total stranger who was giant pile of poo poo is no longer with us"

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

All Of The Dicks posted:

There is some distance between "murder = justice" and "not really all that upset that total stranger who was giant pile of poo poo is no longer with us"

Yeah, I mean I don't actively wish death on anyone, but every time some right-wing shithead dies and people lament his or her passing, it brings to mind to me the fact that we don't care nearly as much about the thousands of equally preventable deaths of marginalized people very year. Like seriously, a 78-year-old fascist apologist who explicitly advocates for the return of militant ethno-nationalism is dead, and we are supposed to feel sad that his life ended? What about all the lives that he and people like him have helped end, what about all the people his ideology drove to suicide? Where's the hand-wringing over their deaths. It just seems like such an easy thing to say "well, he was a product of the system too", as if he wasn't actively part of the problem and advocating for more bigotry.

And suicide isn't only the result of mental illness, it has symbolism and meanings that have been utilized for centuries by people to make political statements. It's extremely reductionist and materialist to dismiss it as just being caused by mental illness. What Venner did was an explicitly political act for a terrible cause, so I don't see why I should feel sad rather than angry.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

:smuggo:

Cordyceps Headache posted:

Yeah, I mean I don't actively wish death on anyone, but every time some right-wing shithead dies and people lament his or her passing, it brings to mind to me the fact that we don't care nearly as much about the thousands of equally preventable deaths of marginalized people very year. Like seriously, a 78-year-old fascist apologist who explicitly advocates for the return of militant ethno-nationalism is dead, and we are supposed to feel sad that his life ended? What about all the lives that he and people like him have helped end, what about all the people his ideology drove to suicide? Where's the hand-wringing over their deaths. It just seems like such an easy thing to say "well, he was a product of the system too", as if he wasn't actively part of the problem and advocating for more bigotry.

And suicide isn't only the result of mental illness, it has symbolism and meanings that have been utilized for centuries by people to make political statements. It's extremely reductionist and materialist to dismiss it as just being caused by mental illness. What Venner did was an explicitly political act for a terrible cause, so I don't see why I should feel sad rather than angry.

Please stop replying to All of the Dicks.

poor nose
Oct 29, 2005

Good to know, Hannity just said verbatim "Remember the Valerie Plame non-scandel?"

So see guys it wasn't anything serious Sean said so, but using the constitution for its intended purpose i.e. the fifth amendment is a HUGE embarrassing scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Elephant Ambush posted:

:smuggo:

Please stop replying to All of the Dicks.

How about just some of the dicks?

Speaking of dicks:

Sean Hannity posted:

"Remember the Valerie Plame non-scandel?"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 22, 2013