Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
One other weird thing... The chord progression/key (sorry not a music major) on Within and Instant Crush sound extremely similar to me... It almost had to be intentional to put them adjacent one another yet there is a long fade out and several moments of silence in between the two songs. It would have made a pretty awesome segue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
My gal overheard a listen I was doing a few days ago and said "That was the Daft Punk album? Well no wonder everyone is confused, that sounded crazy"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well this is...slow. And almost ambient. :confused:

And I don't think it would have fit the flow of the album at all, so I can see why it's a bonus track.

I like it, don't get me wrong, but if people thought Random Access Memories didn't sound like normal Daft Punk material, this sounds even less like them.

This is less of a departure from some tracks on Discovery (mostly Nightvision) than several other tracks on this album.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Its a goddamn AIR track.

E: not saying it is specifically one, but rather cribbing very hard.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

incoherent posted:

cribbing very hard.

You mean the thing that Daft Punk does best?

QCIC
Feb 10, 2011

die Stimme der Energie
"The Game of Love" was an AIR track.

e: I was baffled by the Pitchfork reviewer's comment that this and "Within" are best understood "as part of a larger whole." They're throwaways as far as I'm concerned. They seem to exist only to pad "Giorgio" as the "epic third track." It's the inverse of Discovery where tracks two and four are very energetic and frame a more downbeat but still critical third track, giving the A side a definite movement that lulls and then recovers.

"Touch" is just mean, and "Contact" made me laugh out loud. The buildup goes on for three full minutes. I still think that the second LP will be my favorite.

I'm not sure about the technical quality of the Discovery vinyl but the last time I listened to it on a vintage receiver w/ nice cans it sounded pretty gorgeous.

QCIC fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 22, 2013

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

iTunes version is good enough, but if you really dig the album, hunt down a way to rip the vinyl. You'll thank yourself.

Agreed. This album plays a lot with the range, so if you plan to have this in your rotation for the long haul it's really worth it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I've read that the 24/88 version is dynamically identical to the CD version compared to ripping the vinyl yourself

YMMV though

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Photex posted:

I've read that the 24/88 version is dynamically identical to the CD version compared to ripping the vinyl yourself

YMMV though

The qobuz version is. HDTracks is rumored to be as well, but I haven't seen any confirmation yet.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I scanned through the posts since the date the video was uploaded, and didn't see it already posted, but sorry if it was.

God drat, I wish this was the album version. This guys bass line just adds so much more to the song, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAAzuN9lXJM

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

I like this track more than the rest of RAM put together. If only because it's not Daft Punk at all and very much just straight Pink Floyd homage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fors Yard posted:

I scanned through the posts since the date the video was uploaded, and didn't see it already posted, but sorry if it was.

God drat, I wish this was the album version. This guys bass line just adds so much more to the song, in my opinion.

Well thanks, now I'll probably never be able to enjoy the bass on the album version again :sweatdrop:

edit: This caused me to look for covers and remixes and stuff, and I found a couple really cool piano covers:

Contact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaWe2upc1Pw

Giorgio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD4ZrrDmoGw

Get Lucky:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9GfKsmFrPw

And this C64 8-bit version of Get Lucky, which sounds deliciously retro, even moreso than most 8-bit versions of songs that I've heard on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VERYuxrgIkI

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 22, 2013

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
The album is called random access memories. I believe the abrupt shifts in tone are intentional.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Im actually baffled by the review scores this album is getting. I dont hate the album, but I also dont understand the almost universal critical praise.

Also Contact is super tedious, grating, and builds to... A fade out :|

edit: If somebody were paying me for my thoughts on music, I'd probably settle on a 7.5; above average, but not without flaws. I've read a ton of Pitchfork reviews over the years, had them pan a lot of albums I love, but their score is probably the most confusing. Sometimes they overshoot on big records though and rate albums on concept and artist status/context instead of purely artistic merit - see MBDTF's 10.0 - so I'm gonna chalk it up to that (not that albums shouldn't/can't be reviewed that way).

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 22, 2013

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

thathonkey posted:

Im actually baffled by the review scores this album is getting. I dont hate the album, but I also dont understand the almost universal critical praise.

Also Contact is super tedious, grating, and builds to... A fade out :|

I like Contact now, but I kind of agree. Especially at first when I was, from the early listening party descriptions, under the impression that they included a more traditional house-style banger at the end of the album. Turns out it's just this build up into... nothing.

tentril
May 9, 2012
Game of Love and Within are great. I get that you guys think they aren't energetic enough to have next to Giorgio, but it's pretty silly to expect all the energetic tracks together or something. If they put all the slower songs at the end people would be too pumped from the first half and stop listening.

Although I also don't understand the appeal of Doin' it Right, so I guess I wanted different things out of this album. It just feels like there were two or three instrument tracks they forgot to put in the final mix.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

quadratic posted:

The qobuz version is. HDTracks is rumored to be as well, but I haven't seen any confirmation yet.

I would find it surprising. HDTracks removed albums that did this in the past. (And gave refunds)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ya'll should throw on todd edwards bbc essential mix, he put a house beat behind instant crush and it instantly turned into a major jam

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ya'll should throw on todd edwards bbc essential mix, he put a house beat behind instant crush and it instantly turned into a major jam

Is there a Soundcloud link for this or does it have to be listened to on BBC site? Either way link please :)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I grabbed an mp3 from some janky site but the bbc site has it streaming here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01sd138

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
plogo linked it on soundcloud 2 days ago but nobody paid any attention :/

plogo posted:

Collaborator Todd Edwards made last weeks essential mix. https://soundcloud.com/everybodywantstobethedj/todd-edwards-essential-mix It's pretty great, features his edits of a bunch of the other collaborators works and daft punk as well as some of his classic productions and a few other contemporary tracks from other artists.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Credit to him/her, that's what reminded me I needed to listen to it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

Holy poo poo! That's so much better.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Also Giorgio Morodor did a DJ set ('first ever DJ set'): http://www.rbmaradio.com/shows/giorgio-moroder-live-at-deep-space

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but I figured people here might be somewhat interested. I guess this album has actually thrust him back into relevance somewhat (which is awesome)?

het posted:

plogo linked it on soundcloud 2 days ago but nobody paid any attention :/

Oops thanks Het and Intel!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I just found out this morning that Giorgio was part of making "Together in Electric Dreams" a song and movie that was my jam when I was hella young. The movie is about a guy who spills champagne on his computer which makes it become sentient and then it makes hit songs and tries to steal his girlfriend hahahaha.

http://youtu.be/GBSzdYiP0Qc

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I just looked at the demographics for Get Lucky on YouTube. I find it interesting that it is being listened to mostly by males ages 18-45. Not much love from the little old ladies.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Do you guys think the fan reception of this album would have been better if they released it under a different name (ie. as a side project)? Other artists do stuff like this a lot when they want to make something that is a departure from the sound/music that they're best known for (or that made them popular).

I was just thinking it might be kind of cool (in concept at least) if Daft Punk developed an alternate persona for making "human"/live instrumentation music rather than the robot house/edm that made them famous. It would make the notion of Daft Punk remixing/sampling their live instrumentation that much cooler.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 22, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
To me I think their catalog is already wide enough to fit something like this in, it's definitely the largest departure (assuming you give TRON a pass for being commissioned), but I think it's still in their wheelhouse.

I forget what I was reading yesterday but it pointed out that their whole era from HAA up to A2007 was extremely dark (HAA, Electroma's ending, TRON) especially for guys whose first two albums are joyful as all out. When I think about what they must have been into during that time crashing into A2007 I can see where a lot of the compositions from RAM are coming from. I think they were a bit hobbled by not being led by samples and being forced to come up with everything on their own, but you can still tell there's a lot of darkness mixing around with the happy and the whole sound has matured (for better or worse) even when you ignore the backwards-looking instrumentation experiments going on.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 22, 2013

Jose Juan Carlos
May 1, 2013
Just finished my first listen through of the album. Daft Punk and Panda Bear need to just release an entire album together. 'Doin' It Right' was the only song I gave multiple listens to besides 'Get Lucky', but it's definitely more of an Animal Collective sound than Daft Punk.

Maybe I'll like the album more the next listen through.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

I bought the vinyl after forgetting I had preordered on iTunes, so now I have two versions. Is it worth hunting down a way to rip the vinyl or is the iTunes version good enough for computer/ phone listening?

iTunes is fine.

iTunes version is good enough, but if you really dig the album, hunt down a way to rip the vinyl. You'll thank yourself.

Can you please explain why he would thank himself because it makes no sense to do this, unless iTunes gives you a 128k mp3 or something. You would have to sit there recording the whole album, then break up the recording into tracks, and the result would be something that sounds exactly the same (at best), except there's one part in the new copy where you can hear Lechtansi's roommate stomp on the floor.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jose Juan Carlos posted:

Just finished my first listen through of the album. Daft Punk and Panda Bear need to just release an entire album together. 'Doin' It Right' was the only song I gave multiple listens to besides 'Get Lucky', but it's definitely more of an Animal Collective sound than Daft Punk.

Maybe I'll like the album more the next listen through.

Yeah it is interesting that the song with Panda Bear sounds like an Animal Collective track and the song with Julian Casablancas sounds like a Strokes track (from back when they gave a poo poo). Pharrell doesn't have a distinct enough sound to compare his features on RAM to his normal stuff. I guess the closest thing would be the Neptunes sound?

little munchkin posted:

Can you please explain why he would thank himself because it makes no sense to do this, unless iTunes gives you a 128k mp3 or something. You would have to sit there recording the whole album, then break up the recording into tracks, and the result would be something that sounds exactly the same (at best), except there's one part in the new copy where you can hear Lechtansi's roommate stomp on the floor.

Apparently the vinyl has its own mastering. Vinyl needs to be mastered differently to take advantage of the format's strengths but not every modern artist bothers to do this. Many plunk down the digital/CD mastering on vinyl and the result is that sounds worse than the digital counterpart. So yeah, the vinyl would sound different if it was ripped cleanly on a quality setup. Anyway, that is why a lot of people are talking about the vinyl release of this. Hope that helps...

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 22, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The better idea would be to grab someone elses vinyl rip, someone who would likely have a lot better equipment for doing so. Then again I grabbed one to test the difference and the only thing I noticed was that GLBTM sounded like it was playing too fast and I ran back to my own FLACs. My systems not amazing or anything though so I wasn't shocked.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Ripping vinyl accurately is really hard and depends on the turntable being calibrated correctly for speed etc.

Dude who ripped your copy probably had a borked table that wasnt playing at exactly 33.3 rpm.

I love listening to actual vinyl but rips usually suck unless you really trust the person who ripped to have done it right and on an exceptional equipment stack - which almost nobody has. Most turntables with usb out that are marketed as being viable for ripping are rather cheap and would most likely produce something inferior to the proper digital mastering anyway so whats the point even? :shrug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

little munchkin posted:

That's not what iTunes does, but the iTunes version and vinyl are mastered differently, and as a result they have a slightly different sound. Vinyl sounds more spacious, at least to me. I've listened to the album a bunch of times, through iTunes and the CD and vinyl, and I prefer the sound of the vinyl the best.

I wouldn't recommend doing that for most other albums, because they usually do sound pretty much the same on vinyl. But with this one, it's a favorite album of mine and there's definitely a difference in range between the two releases, so yeah, it's a good idea to check out both versions if you're a big fan of this album.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Apparently the vinyl has its own mastering. Vinyl needs to be mastered differently to take advantage of the format's strengths but not every modern artist bothers to do this. Many plunk down the digital/CD mastering on vinyl and the result is that sounds worse than the digital counterpart. So yeah, the vinyl would sound different if it was ripped cleanly on a quality setup. Anyway, that is why a lot of people are talking about the vinyl release of this. Hope that helps...

So a vinyl mastering is meant to take advantage of the format's strengths, but it still sounds better when transferred to a different format? If the vinyl mastering sounded better than the digital mastering, even on mp3/CD, why wouldn't they just use that mastering in the first place?

thathonkey posted:

I love listening to actual vinyl but rips usually suck unless you really trust the person who ripped to have done it right and on an exceptional equipment stack - which almost nobody has. Most turntables with usb out that are marketed as being viable for ripping are rather cheap and would most likely produce something inferior to the proper digital mastering anyway so whats the point even? :shrug:

I've made homemade rips using just a turntable hooked up to a recording device, and yea it's a pain in the rear end and doesn't sound that great. I only do it for stuff that's old and not popular and digital copies don't exist.

Anyways the dude was talking about listening to it on his phone or computer speakers, so even if he had a 10,000$ optical turntable it still wouldn't be worth it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I just found out this morning that Giorgio was part of making "Together in Electric Dreams" a song and movie that was my jam when I was hella young. The movie is about a guy who spills champagne on his computer which makes it become sentient and then it makes hit songs and tries to steal his girlfriend hahahaha.

http://youtu.be/GBSzdYiP0Qc

Oh poo poo, I love that film! I actually wore out the first VHS copy of it I had.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

little munchkin posted:

So a vinyl mastering is meant to take advantage of the format's strengths, but it still sounds better when transferred to a different format? If the vinyl mastering sounded better than the digital mastering, even on mp3/CD, why wouldn't they just use that mastering in the first place?

I don't know if you're actually asking or just pointing out that it's dumb...but just in case: iirc, the CD/Digital copies are aimed more for radio play and home listening on consumer grade equipment and get normalized (I think that's the one?). They trade off a bit of dynamic range for a slight volume boost that'll end up sounding better on earbuds.

Hasters posted:

Oh poo poo, I love that film! I actually wore out the first VHS copy of it I had.

Wikipedia says he has a cameo in it too. I'm definitely going to try and find a copy of it now because I have very old childhood memories of all the music in it being synth heavy and awesome. It might be the first place I ever heard vocoder.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

little munchkin posted:

I've made homemade rips using just a turntable hooked up to a recording device, and yea it's a pain in the rear end and doesn't sound that great. I only do it for stuff that's old and not popular and digital copies don't exist.

Anyways the dude was talking about listening to it on his phone or computer speakers, so even if he had a 10,000$ optical turntable it still wouldn't be worth it.

Yeah I would tend to agree with you on all those points. Vinyl -> digital rips are counter-productive probably 99.999999% of the time (barring cases where the music you want to obtain ONLY exists on vinyl, obviously). I am extremely skeptical that anyone actually could pick out a perfect vinyl rip from the digital mastering on their iPhone or in their car. Maybe in an isolated listening environment on great equipment, but at that point, why not just listen to the vinyl itself?

There is a reason why digital stuff is mastered the way it is, and Intel just covered it in his last post. The bottom line is, if you care about audio quality and fidelity that much, you'll own a turntable system at home and listen to music on it. For everyone else, a FLAC or even 320kbps Mp3 is fine.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 22, 2013

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know if you're actually asking or just pointing out that it's dumb...but just in case: iirc, the CD/Digital copies are aimed more for radio play and home listening on consumer grade equipment and get normalized (I think that's the one?). They trade off a bit of dynamic range for a slight volume boost that'll end up sounding better on earbuds.

A bit is an understatement

quote:

Wikipedia says he has a cameo in it too. I'm definitely going to try and find a copy of it now because I have very old childhood memories of all the music in it being synth heavy and awesome. It might be the first place I ever heard vocoder.

It was definitely the first place I ever heard Bach's Minuet in G major on an electronic instrument. :)

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:lol: Jesus Christ that's him on "Take my breath away" too. By this weekend I'm going to find out everything I heard from age 0 to 8 was a Giorgio Moroder track.

• Locked thread