Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

What do you guys think would be a good starting point for a Booker? Obviously I'd need pinstriped slacks, I already have some dress shoes. I've never done it before, so failing that, I might go to Pax 13 as a Vox Pop I already have a jacket similar to one of the ones they wear and some ammo pouches. I am supremely frustrated at their weapon prop rules, though. No-tolerance (pretty much) policies are always the worst. :argh:

Does the sky rail thing count as a 'weapon'? Short of that, recreate his box from the start of the game (in the boat sequence) and carry that around.

Also, got one of these bad boys!

For a FRACTION of the cost I got the last unit taken off the shelf of a London toy store and express posted for me - for less than half of the cost of Amazon's shipping costs. Take THAT amazon!

Started disassembly, so far everything I imagined is going well - the parts that would stop me using the spinning outside can be removed without compromising how the thing works, so really my big question now is.... How do I make the giant Drill and attach it securely :psyduck:

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Does the sky rail thing count as a 'weapon'? Short of that, recreate his box from the start of the game (in the boat sequence) and carry that around.

Also, got one of these bad boys!

For a FRACTION of the cost I got the last unit taken off the shelf of a London toy store and express posted for me - for less than half of the cost of Amazon's shipping costs. Take THAT amazon!

Started disassembly, so far everything I imagined is going well - the parts that would stop me using the spinning outside can be removed without compromising how the thing works, so really my big question now is.... How do I make the giant Drill and attach it securely :psyduck:

Glad I could help you find a decent base to start with. I would definitely go lightweight. Cardboard/paper or craft foam might be a good choice, especially if layered for durability.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

SmithKurosaki posted:

Glad I could help you find a decent base to start with. I would definitely go lightweight. Cardboard/paper or craft foam might be a good choice, especially if layered for durability.

I'm liking the idea of craft foam, I am just doubting my abilities to make a coherent 'Cone' shape, so I am thinking of the best course of action. Ideally it would be hollow so I can basically place it over the body of the toy gun and then just affix it to the spinning part...somehow. I was thinking hot glue but I don't want to deform the plastic.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
They literally don't even allow nerf guns that still work, nor airsoft guns with the batteries taken out. It's goddamn asinine. :argh:

quote:

Box might work. May go as a Vox instead, trying to figure what'd be more affordable.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

SunSickOkra posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "stretch to get the bottom in position." Like, every time you put the helmet on it needs to stretch? Or just stretch once while you harden the piece to keep the shape? Either way, I don't think Bondo is what you want to depend on to make your cardboard solid. I have a WIP witch king helmet (made out of card stock) and ran into a similar problem with shaping since it's such an unwieldy piece.

To keep the integrity of the shape of the crown I took measurements of my head and made a cross with two pieces of cardboard to stick where my head goes (the kind where you cut slits halfway down the middle and stick them together) and then coated the entire thing with fiberglass resin. Once it soaks in and dries, it becomes fairly rigid (enough to keep the shape). I then went back through and reinforced it with fiberglass cloth, and will eventually cover it with bondo to get the desired finish. It should work just as well on cardboard. The problem with skipping the fiberglass step is that bondo is kind of brittle, so if your helmet bends there is a possibility that it will crack.

Yeah, I mean the two little "wings" at the bottom are too close together when the helmet is not being worn, but sits at the right position on my head. I figured putting it on a mannequin head or something would let me apply stuff to it while keeping the shape I want for the end product. I'll definitely look into fiberglass resin as well. The tutorial I was reading on it just used Bondo, but it's probably worth adding some fiberglass if it reduces the risk of breaking things.

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

They literally don't even allow nerf guns that still work, nor airsoft guns with the batteries taken out. It's goddamn asinine. :argh:

Box might work. May go as a Vox instead, trying to figure what'd be more affordable.

It depends on the con. I help doing weapons inspections at a couple local cons. The larger one has a few more restrictions, such as no metal whatsoever. We generally don't allow airsoft etc through, unless it's full gutted inside, and even then, sometimes it's not cool, because it's too similar to a production weapon. For nerf guns though, we just don't let people carry them loaded.
At the smaller one, I run the department and since I don't have building restrictions to contend with (as far as I know), I let metal in, but nothing illegal like swords, throwing stars, nunchucks etc. I also keep the same rules on the airsoft and the nerf because not allowing them at all sucks, but you have to be sure that there is no way that some idiot can hurt someone by pulling the trigger.

Also, fruit, for the worry about the cone shape, try to find a large funnel to either permanently attach your drill medium to, or even just as something to help you get that cone shape sorted so you can attach it. I don't remember the exact properties of craft foam, but if it's the thin sheet stuff I've used before, it absorbs glue, but not completely. It won't melt the foam though if you use crazy glue if I remember right. It does get a little warm when putting it on though.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Have I ever mentioned how amazing you guys are at cosplay? :swoon:

wheatpuppy posted:

You can order plastic test tubes cheap from Amazon, or if you have any medical supply stores or university book/supply stores in your area it's a good bet you can find them there. I've heard of people cracking open glow sticks to use the innards for glowing props (Arkham Asylum Scarecrow), but I've never done it myself. I don't know how long the glow lasts, or visible it would be in a brightly-lit environment.

Killer_Frost posted:

For the test tubes you could just use regular led's then use some fabric, or paper, or something to diffuse the light so it looks like its liquid. The bigger LEDs are more visible in daylight. Same thing for the staff.

The robe, I used Simplicity 5840 for my Jedi robe and it works pretty great. They've got a pattern for one with that little short over cape, which you could lengthen or shorten as needed. As for the design, a good fabric paint shouldn't come off, but if you're more comfortable drawing they make fabric paint pens.

If you want nice crisp edges you could make your own stencil too.

I know I'm late replying, but I still want to say thanks! I might forego the test tube glow all together, but we'll see how my "painting the inside of tiny glass tubes" adventure goes. As for the robe, the pattern is great! We're going to work on it tonight, hopefully. I think I'm going to use fabric paint over fabric chalk lines and work my way carefully around the hood. It might not be perfect, but I think I can do it.

I'm coming back to ask for advice on my staff again. Of the supplies I have laying around, I've got a sturdy cardboard tube at the size I want, brown fabric that's pretty light/has minimal texture, acrylics, Mod Podge (because I'm too lazy to mix my own glue :shobon:), and all sorts of random other materials. I want the "claws" at both ends to look like branches, but I think I'll have to make them structured unless someone has a good suggestion. I could use cardboard, paper, fabric, and any other number of materials I have laying around, but I don't know what would be sturdy enough to withstand ~3 days of use. Once that's all done, I've decided to mount a clear orb on both ends... I guess my question is what materials are best for achieving this? I'm scared it's all going to crumble if I use hot glue or something. :ohdear: There must be a way.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

broken pixel posted:

I know I'm late replying, but I still want to say thanks! I might forego the test tube glow all together, but we'll see how my "painting the inside of tiny glass tubes" adventure goes. As for the robe, the pattern is great! We're going to work on it tonight, hopefully. I think I'm going to use fabric paint over fabric chalk lines and work my way carefully around the hood. It might not be perfect, but I think I can do it.

I'm coming back to ask for advice on my staff again. Of the supplies I have laying around, I've got a sturdy cardboard tube at the size I want, brown fabric that's pretty light/has minimal texture, acrylics, Mod Podge (because I'm too lazy to mix my own glue :shobon:), and all sorts of random other materials. I want the "claws" at both ends to look like branches, but I think I'll have to make them structured unless someone has a good suggestion. I could use cardboard, paper, fabric, and any other number of materials I have laying around, but I don't know what would be sturdy enough to withstand ~3 days of use. Once that's all done, I've decided to mount a clear orb on both ends... I guess my question is what materials are best for achieving this? I'm scared it's all going to crumble if I use hot glue or something. :ohdear: There must be a way.

I was going to do an Indigo Lantern at one point, they have similar-ish staffs so I did a lot of research at the time. If you want to use what you have already using some wire/wire hanger to get the basic shape down then you could use paper mâché to built it up to the right final shape. If you want to buy stuff, you could use the same starting point and use sculpey to get the final shape. Once its baked its rock hard. It'd make it through the 3 days as long as you don't beat someone with it. ;)

If you don't want to use wire as a base you could look into using the fabric and just stiffening the fabric. It might be less sturdy than using the wire as a base but it would keep you from buying anything.

There's all sorts of tutorials online for painted "milk glass" right now. I'm sure those could give you some tips for painting the test tubes.

I'm glad the pattern works for you. Lots of luck with the painting, can't wait to see how it all comes together. :)

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

broken pixel posted:

If I understand correctly, you're looking for a relatively sturdy/lightweight/cheap way to make claws for the ends of a staff? I would suggest using floral wire as a "skeleton" to help support the claws. The wire will hold a form, which you can then set with glue/paper mache/duct tape and will have more "give" than clay, so if you get nudged in a crowd it might not fall apart so easily.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Took a few photos of my cosplays. Kind of tough with just an intervalometer timer.

Yes, I know I need to iron my seams but living in a studio doesn't leave much room for both a backdrop and an ironing board.

Cosplays that are more outfit assembly than making stuff rule :allears:

More here.

Still waiting on my spare MP3 player for the tricorder.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Probably getting ahead of myself but I finished the graphic for Judge Gabranth's cape today:

Also regarding drillchat, we used cardboard with an internal pink foam structure for our Big Daddy. We cut a spiral out and draped it down over the cone to make the threads. I cannot envision how you'd be able to make one out of craft foam without it being really floppy.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

McPantserton posted:

Also regarding drillchat, we used cardboard with an internal pink foam structure for our Big Daddy. We cut a spiral out and draped it down over the cone to make the threads. I cannot envision how you'd be able to make one out of craft foam without it being really floppy.

Resin. I actually did a test within for something I was working on. It makes it nice and hard and doesn't melt the foam. At least it didn't melt mine.

Also if you build a nice stable interior structure and are just using the foam for outside details then it won't be floppy.

I'd probably use a hard plastic for it myself, but that's just me.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Another WIP on my Corvo mask.

gently caress working with Burlap poo poo went everywhere when I cut it down. Going to add some claycrete and smooth everything out tonight/tomorrow then get to work on adding in some of the metal details. So far this is the most labor intensive mask I've made.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I had absolutely no involvement in this.

I thought I'd post it here regardless as his process was amazing, involved and well documented.

Hoping it helps someone else out or gives people rad ideas that I can continue to be amazed by. :3:

Whole Album

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

syntaxrigger posted:

I thought I'd post it here regardless as his process was amazing, involved and well documented.

Hoping it helps someone else out or gives people rad ideas that I can continue to be amazed by. :3:

I like this since a) it looks loving awesome and b) it makes me feel better about getting pieces of costumes commissioned. :v:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

syntaxrigger posted:

Whole Album

This is very similar to the suit I'm putting together. I will post pictures when I'm done.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Right, so I appear to have made a drill like object. Any ideas for getting a flat bottom edge on this sucker? I made it out of some sturdy paper, and the tip is a piece of rolled aluminium with the edge dulled so it isn't a piercing object (should allow me to place the drill point first on the ground if I need to rest it)

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
McPants, congratulations on winning at ACen! Your SC costume deserve ALL THE AWARDS. I'm making very tentative plans to go to Acen or possibly Colossalcon next year. FATED SOUL CALIBUR COSPLAY MEETUP FINALLY?!?!?!

Speaking of which, I've been super busy working on FOUR new costumes for Anime Next, which includes ventilating a lace-front wig to have a custom hairline. Ventilating involves pulling tiny individual wig hairs through the netting on the lace-front with a very small implement and tying them in, and it is so. unbelievably. tedious. I'm terrified I'm not going to finish in time, and it is over 2 weeks away.

That being said, I'm already thinking ahead to Otakon, where I plan to do this beautiful lady/personified sword:

Now my problem is, I've never made wings before. The real challenge, though, is how to attach them to myself without having huge, visible straps going over my shoulders or around my waist. Does anyone have any advice or experience they can share? All I will be wearing is a strapless bra to support them with, can something be created that could be held up by a bra or will I have to use clear straps? Would it be possible to only use one clear strap and have it hidden by her one shoulder drape thing?

I'm also wondering what kind of finishes I could spray on the plastic of the mask to get that 1-way mirror look, ie: where I can see out, but people can't see in.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I'm also wondering what kind of finishes I could spray on the plastic of the mask to get that 1-way mirror look, ie: where I can see out, but people can't see in.

Can't help with the wings (I know you can get clear elastic at JoAnn's, but never used it for straps on anything heavy), but I can offer a suggestion for the 1-way mirror. Home Depot will be your friend. The film that they make for doors and windows. As long as its brighter on the outside you'll be able to see through and it will look mirrored to everyone else. Its a little pricy, but it will do what you want it to.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

McPants, congratulations on winning at ACen! Your SC costume deserve ALL THE AWARDS. I'm making very tentative plans to go to Acen or possibly Colossalcon next year. FATED SOUL CALIBUR COSPLAY MEETUP FINALLY?!?!?!

Thanks, dude!! I'll admit to peacocking around a bit (a lot), it felt drat good to win in that thing. I wasn't planning on bringing it to Acen next year but you bet your rear end I will if you're there, holy poo poo!! And I'll make Yoshimitsu bring his too. Nightmare threw half his suit away before we left this year though. :v:

And god, you're a loving machine. I can't imagine being able to produce poo poo at that rate, I was so stoked on the fact that I'll probably be at 2-3 costumes this year instead of my normal 1. :shobon: Cannot wait to see how your poo poo turns out! What all are you working on?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Now my problem is, I've never made wings before. The real challenge, though, is how to attach them to myself without having huge, visible straps going over my shoulders or around my waist. Does anyone have any advice or experience they can share? All I will be wearing is a strapless bra to support them with, can something be created that could be held up by a bra or will I have to use clear straps? Would it be possible to only use one clear strap and have it hidden by her one shoulder drape thing?

I haven't made angel wings, but I've tried dragon wings twice. I still feel pretty inept at it, so take my advice with a grain of salt. My main issue was weight. The wings were too heavy for the harness I made because of the way I had to do the straps so the harness was hidden. It still looked fine, but it hurt to wear them all day. With feathers (or fabric feathers) weight is less of an issue, but because you have even less space to hide the set up than I did, you might run into the weight issue as well.

I think you're on the right track as far as those clear straps go. Bring an extra strap with you or rig two onto the same shoulder if you're worried about their load-baring capabilities. You could always alter the top a little and make it a corset or bustier type thing and rig the wings into that. It would probably be more sturdy. Otherwise, I'm not sure just a strapless bra would be enough. I'd add a clear strap on the other shoulder at the very least.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Anyone have a good source to buy wonderflex on the cheap?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Killer_Frost posted:

I was going to do an Indigo Lantern at one point, they have similar-ish staffs so I did a lot of research at the time. If you want to use what you have already using some wire/wire hanger to get the basic shape down then you could use paper mâché to built it up to the right final shape. If you want to buy stuff, you could use the same starting point and use sculpey to get the final shape. Once its baked its rock hard. It'd make it through the 3 days as long as you don't beat someone with it. ;)

If you don't want to use wire as a base you could look into using the fabric and just stiffening the fabric. It might be less sturdy than using the wire as a base but it would keep you from buying anything.

There's all sorts of tutorials online for painted "milk glass" right now. I'm sure those could give you some tips for painting the test tubes.

I'm glad the pattern works for you. Lots of luck with the painting, can't wait to see how it all comes together. :)

four lean hounds posted:

If I understand correctly, you're looking for a relatively sturdy/lightweight/cheap way to make claws for the ends of a staff? I would suggest using floral wire as a "skeleton" to help support the claws. The wire will hold a form, which you can then set with glue/paper mache/duct tape and will have more "give" than clay, so if you get nudged in a crowd it might not fall apart so easily.

Thanks yet again. :) After some experimentation, I ended up making the skeleton yesterday using the cardboard tube, floral wire (two wires twisted together for extra strength), and duct tape. Now, I'm going to see if there's a way to use the fabric over it, but I might go straight to paper mache-ing it. It's great to be able to apply some of the techniques I learned in foundation art classes... I did wire sculptures for a while and really loved it. Crafting the claws with it made so much sense when I really thought about it more.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

fallin1 posted:

Anyone have a good source to buy wonderflex on the cheap?

Far as I know, there isn't one.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

Thanks, dude!! I'll admit to peacocking around a bit (a lot), it felt drat good to win in that thing. I wasn't planning on bringing it to Acen next year but you bet your rear end I will if you're there, holy poo poo!! And I'll make Yoshimitsu bring his too. Nightmare threw half his suit away before we left this year though. :v:

And god, you're a loving machine. I can't imagine being able to produce poo poo at that rate, I was so stoked on the fact that I'll probably be at 2-3 costumes this year instead of my normal 1. :shobon: Cannot wait to see how your poo poo turns out! What all are you working on?

Aaaaah I really hope I can go!!

Your costumes are way, way more involved than mine. If I was doing armor builds for every con, yeah there is no way I'd manage to make more than 2-3 a year. My ANext costumes are: Madoka's school uniform, Faye Valentine, Cutey Honey, and Hurricane Honey (I really like Cutey Honey costumes I guess :shobon:)

Speaking of which, I've been working on Faye's wig for the last two days, making a custom hairline, which is the most tedious horrible thing ever, and as you can see, I'm not even halfway finished:

Then I need to cut it, and go over the blue highlights with a purple sharpie, ugggggh.

As for Elysiam's wings, thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will start posting progress of that in a few weeks when I'm finally done with ANext costumes.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Aaaaah I really hope I can go!!

Your costumes are way, way more involved than mine. If I was doing armor builds for every con, yeah there is no way I'd manage to make more than 2-3 a year. My ANext costumes are: Madoka's school uniform, Faye Valentine, Cutey Honey, and Hurricane Honey (I really like Cutey Honey costumes I guess :shobon:)

Speaking of which, I've been working on Faye's wig for the last two days, making a custom hairline, which is the most tedious horrible thing ever, and as you can see, I'm not even halfway finished:

Then I need to cut it, and go over the blue highlights with a purple sharpie, ugggggh.

As for Elysiam's wings, thanks everyone for the suggestions, I will start posting progress of that in a few weeks when I'm finally done with ANext costumes.

Eesh I was whining about doing the embroidery on Sylvanas's cloak. I did the hair line mod once, in one of my theatre classes, never again. You are a much braver woman than I. I will stick to my crappy embroidery job and not whine about it anymore.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Speaking of which, I've been super busy working on FOUR new costumes for Anime Next, which includes ventilating a lace-front wig to have a custom hairline. Ventilating involves pulling tiny individual wig hairs through the netting on the lace-front with a very small implement and tying them in, and it is so. unbelievably. tedious. I'm terrified I'm not going to finish in time, and it is over 2 weeks away.

That being said, I'm already thinking ahead to Otakon, where I plan to do this beautiful lady/personified sword:

I've done giant wings before (see Henchman 24 cosplay earlier in the thread) a number of times. You really want good straps and for them to be adjustable as you walk around in them all day. Since you've got somewhat of a toga thing you probably could have the toga go over any straps to conceal them but then you'd want both shoulders to be covered.

Try out the wings with any potential attachment system before the con and walk/run with them and have people bump into them and have people lean into them as they're taking a picture with you. All of these are going to put stresses on the wings and the attachment system that you can guarantee will happen all day at a con.

pukey
Apr 27, 2011

McPantserton posted:

Just got back from ACen and it was a blast!! Fully assembled Nightmare Moon was really well-received and looked a lot better than my test fit what with the makeup and accessories.

I also met Yaya Han, who declared me to be badass and very flatteringly asked to take a picture with me before I had a chance to ask her. D'awww. :blush:

And even better, I won Judges Choice for Master craftsmanship at the masquerade for my Soul Calibur Hilde armor! :woop: I wish my whole group had won but they were all really happy for me and it was nice that at least one of our costumes placed, we were bummed that we didn't at GenCon. Then we met up with another huge SC group, did a loving sweet photoshoot, and got bombed together. Basically a perfect end to a loving awesome weekend.

I saw you at Acen and I was cheering very loudly for you and your group during walk-ons. Awesome job. I wish I ran into you in person to take photos.

My little group during Acen from Blade and Soul. I did get to do my ambitious armor project, but I discovered love for paperclay while working on the little details of my costume. First time working with wood and this costume renewed my love for cosplay.

My group-> http://cositphotography.com/p23830271/e61031e5f
My last minute cosplay :

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

McPantserton posted:

Far as I know, there isn't one.

drat it. Anyone wanna go halfies on some?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Four days until I need my stuff packed for Akon. I might be panicking now... Fortunately it's mostly just sanding and painting left. But there are a few other odds and ends as well. Spent today helping a friend dig stuff out of her former house, So I will spend what energy I have left starting to pack. Tomorrow I will get to the rest.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm not looking to create something, but would anyone happen to know where to find the tunics from the new Star Trek movies? Apparently the one on Amazon is a piece of poo poo.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm not looking to create something, but would anyone happen to know where to find the tunics from the new Star Trek movies? Apparently the one on Amazon is a piece of poo poo.

ThinkGeek.com has them, but at the moment they are sold out and whenever they come back in stock they'll be to the tune of $200.

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying
So I've never cosplayed (properly) before, and I've been wanting to get into it. I have a couple simpler ones planned, but. I kind of also want to do this character:

Which looks absolutely INSANE. I've been teaching myself to sew, and I think I could thrift/ebay/mod most of the outfit, but that round head and ridiculous collar look pretty crazy. Any thoughts on how that might be possible? Or, more accurately, possible for someone with very little experience? Sewing I can manage, but I have no clue how to hack it with prop making.

I did have an idea for the head, though it's not entirely accurate to the character. Kind of a helmet-slash-fencing mask kinda thing.

I'm not even thinking about that collar right now. Cardboard and starched fabric? I realize this is a nutty costume for a beginner to consider, but this design has really caught my fancy.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
And he said: Let there be (LED) Light!

(also some bondo work on the helmet to fix knicks/dents)

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

TheAbominableSnow posted:

So I've never cosplayed (properly) before, and I've been wanting to get into it. I have a couple simpler ones planned, but. I kind of also want to do this character:

Which looks absolutely INSANE. I've been teaching myself to sew, and I think I could thrift/ebay/mod most of the outfit, but that round head and ridiculous collar look pretty crazy. Any thoughts on how that might be possible? Or, more accurately, possible for someone with very little experience? Sewing I can manage, but I have no clue how to hack it with prop making.

I did have an idea for the head, though it's not entirely accurate to the character. Kind of a helmet-slash-fencing mask kinda thing.

I'm not even thinking about that collar right now. Cardboard and starched fabric? I realize this is a nutty costume for a beginner to consider, but this design has really caught my fancy.

Try looking for DIY Deadmau5 heads. There are a billion tutorials out there, and you can probably modify one to fit that character.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Holy pain in the butt. Not so into sewing stretch fabric. Also gloves are not coming together in my brain at all.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Hey LadyRavenWaves and any others! We should meet up at A-Kon. I'm almost there myself and should be around through early-mid Sunday afternoon. If anyone has PMs, feel free to send or request a phone number.

Edit: If we meet today, I might ask for some finishing tips on my outfit. I'm close to being done but still have some details left to go. :downs:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Here's the cosplay I wore for Anime North in Toronto:

And a close up of the eyes.

Kind of a different take on the black mage, based on the character drawing from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I just really didn't want to wear a black hood, feels restrictive and often out-of-place. So, went with yellow contacts and glasses. Got a lot of second glances and more than a few photos.

Collar didn't turn out exactly how I wanted (was scratching one particular area of my face repeatedly), and the hat was a little to stiff in the brim. Other than that, I quite liked the costume. Needed to get some outside assistance to finish it in time though.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Hello folks, I figure I'll keep this short. I'm just starting to work on my first cosplay, and wanted to start posting progress in here for you guys/gals. The character is Hector from Fire Emblem 7 - while I've seen some Hector cosplays in the past, none of them were super spectacular (I follow people like Lightning Cosplay, Kamui Cosplay, etc on facebook, look 'em up if you haven't), and I want to try making one that is (although it probably won't be super spectacular first try, at least the materials I'll be using will make it look good[ish]).

Without further ado, here's some progress - about 8-10 hours of work, and I'm going to start sanding the heads this weekend.

Edit: The majority of that work was hand chiseling the end caps for the haft. That took forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I made some Teslas! This is probably my most documented build ever. I usually get so caught up in construction that I forget to take any pictures.
http://imgur.com/a/f6TcN#18

I made them last minute over 4 days total. I'm pretty happy with them. They look very good in person.