Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

amishjosh posted:

I'm trying to remember a movie from probably the mid90s that I remember seeing bits of on television. It's either a horror or(most likely) a horror anthology movie. The only bits I can remember are from one bit of it.

The scene starts, it's in a graveyard, zombies come up and start after the people in the graveyard, as they're closing in the camera pulls back and we see that it's a clip from a movie based on the main characters novel/short story/whatever, and that they're interviewing him on the show. I don't really remember too much after that, until he starts seeing this thing coming up behind him when he looks in mirrors, and it ends up causing him to have a breakdown. His girlfriend gets him home, covers over all the mirrors and they think it's going ok, until he looks into her eyes and sees the thing coming up behind him reflected in them. It starts strangling him, he starts thrashing around on the bed, she can't see what's attacking him, then he's suddenly transformed into the thing that was attacking him, a kind of phantom of the opera looking thing that I think jumps out the window.

I'm pretty sure this was a movie, and not one of the old horror anthology shows, but I could very easily be mistaken.

This sounds a helluva lot like an episode of Amazing Stories called "Mirror, Mirror".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Origami Dali posted:

This sounds a helluva lot like an episode of Amazing Stories called "Mirror, Mirror".

Oh god, that is it, thanks!

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Five Cent Deposit posted:

This is quoted verbatim from an email I just received from my stepfather:

Not nearly as old as he says but it has to be Light Years Away

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I finally thought of a long-shot for this thread.

The English band Wire has a song called French Film Blurred. The lyrics seemingly make no sense, but as the story goes, a band member caught snippets of a French movie on TV and was struck by the imagery. I'm curious if anyone is familiar with any possibilities.

The imagery that seems to stick out is:

he fell and lay dead amongst the fireworks display.

Secured you a concrete grave beneath the motorway.

Gold scissors cut the ribbon and set them loose.
On the opening days the vibrations will shake your bones

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

nocal posted:

I finally thought of a long-shot for this thread.

The English band Wire has a song called French Film Blurred. The lyrics seemingly make no sense, but as the story goes, a band member caught snippets of a French movie on TV and was struck by the imagery. I'm curious if anyone is familiar with any possibilities.

The imagery that seems to stick out is:

he fell and lay dead amongst the fireworks display.

Secured you a concrete grave beneath the motorway.

Gold scissors cut the ribbon and set them loose.
On the opening days the vibrations will shake your bones

I think they're actually referencing a Polish film named Ashes and Diamonds

Price Check fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 25, 2013

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Arturo Ui posted:

Not nearly as old as he says but it has to be Light Years Away

Thanks a million. Too bad I can't buy it for him. No Region 1 release exists. :(

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Jedit posted:

If it's colour, it's probably The Untouchables. If it was black and white, it would be The Battleship Potemkin. De Palma homaged the scene.

Yes thank you, The Untouchables. I now remember half watching that with my husband and I guess this scene stuck in my mind. I'll have to go back and watch it for real.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Thanks a million. Too bad I can't buy it for him. No Region 1 release exists. :(

Depending how badly you want to get it for him, it's easy enough to rip the dvd on your computer and burn the .iso in region 1 format (giving him the physical dvd as well of course so it's all legit).

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Wouldn't you need to do some trickery if it's PAL instead of NTSC? I tried to do that with Ong Bak ages ago and in the DVD players that would actually even play it it looked like the vertical hold had been messed with due to the difference in frame rate between PAL and NTSC.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

anticake posted:

Wouldn't you need to do some trickery if it's PAL instead of NTSC? I tried to do that with Ong Bak ages ago and in the DVD players that would actually even play it it looked like the vertical hold had been messed with due to the difference in frame rate between PAL and NTSC.

You get weird 5:6 pulldown and everything will be pitched up a semi-tone, but it should work. I do this with opera dvds since many of them are European in origin and though the pitch shift is annoying it works for the most part.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Do modern TVs even give a poo poo about PAL/NTSC?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

Do modern TVs even give a poo poo about PAL/NTSC?

The player has to be compatible and do the appropriate pulldown -- PAL stuff is encoded at 25 (or 50) fps so something along the line has to convert it to your North American tv's 60 / 120 hz. I don't know many if any standalone players that will convert a PAL signal into an NTSC-compatible signal, though software players do it with ease (at least, VLC and GOM player do, though with the afore-mentioned issue of pitch shifting)

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
I was assembling some furniture the other day and the tv ended up on this movie that I kept tuning in and out of but really want to see start to finish.

The premise seemed to be that a man was rehearsing for a play (richard iii iirc). The only other person in the movie was an assistant off screen that you heard but never saw. The entire thing was just him rehearsing and discussing theater and events in his life.

No idea what this is and haven't been able to find it on google (have been periodically searching for months).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

I was assembling some furniture the other day and the tv ended up on this movie that I kept tuning in and out of but really want to see start to finish.

The premise seemed to be that a man was rehearsing for a play (richard iii iirc). The only other person in the movie was an assistant off screen that you heard but never saw. The entire thing was just him rehearsing and discussing theater and events in his life.

No idea what this is and haven't been able to find it on google (have been periodically searching for months).

If it was recent HBO has a sort of behind the scenes thing for Barrymore, which is a one man show. It's similar to what you described.

e:In Barrymore he's preparing to do Richard III so that's for sure it

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Could it be "The Dresser" with Albert Finney? Sounds like your film, except it's King Lear being rehearsed. I've heard this film is really good but haven't seen it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085461/

DocMcgillicuddy
Jul 24, 2005

Stop! You need a new routine you've been on this one for almost a month man.
Definitely Barrymore, thanks!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DocMcgillicuddy posted:

Definitely Barrymore, thanks!

Like I say if you check that out and it's not it there's a special called Backstage with Barrymore that should air right around the same time. It's definitely one or the other

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Zwabu posted:

Could it be "The Dresser" with Albert Finney? Sounds like your film, except it's King Lear being rehearsed. I've heard this film is really good but haven't seen it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085461/

See it. It's great.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I'm pretty sure this is a Sci-Fi Channel (back when it was spelled that) original. If not, it aired on it.

It revolves around an apocalyptic prophecy - not sure if it was Nostradamus, Biblical, or made up for the film - that starts coming true, and begins to summon poo poo like alien dragons. Soldiers with laser gatlings and jetpacks get deployed against one, and the last survivor gets pissed off enough to make a dumb suicide maneuver and crashes into its forehead, which destroys some sort of mind-control crystal.

Then a giant alien demon turtle is summoned and they do battle.

Yeah, I'm kind of on a kaiju and bad movie kick right now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JackMackerel posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a Sci-Fi Channel (back when it was spelled that) original. If not, it aired on it.

It revolves around an apocalyptic prophecy - not sure if it was Nostradamus, Biblical, or made up for the film - that starts coming true, and begins to summon poo poo like alien dragons. Soldiers with laser gatlings and jetpacks get deployed against one, and the last survivor gets pissed off enough to make a dumb suicide maneuver and crashes into its forehead, which destroys some sort of mind-control crystal.

Then a giant alien demon turtle is summoned and they do battle.

Yeah, I'm kind of on a kaiju and bad movie kick right now.

I want to say this is one of the sequels to Code Red: The Rubicon Conspiracy or The Omega Code.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
If the Omega Code had dragons in it, I'd watch it. :colbert:

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
I'm trying to determine the name of a movie from the early 80's, when everybody was creating Star Wars knock-offs. In this one there is some intergalactic enemy, and somehow those who are chosen to go up against this enemy are chosen by receiving a glowing orange walnut. The main protagonist is a cowboy, or a Indiana Jones type who operates on the outskirts of the law, maybe as a smuggler or mercenary. Initially reluctant to join the cause, because "it's not my fight" I think he saves the galaxy, defeats the Bag Bad, and gets the girl. I think he is the only one who isn't all "proud to serve and do my part", and comes off as arrogant, self-centered, and giving no shits about anything but making a quick buck. He might even have a booze problem, because his glowing walnut turned up in his highball glass. Of course at the end he learns a valuable lesson about himself and making a self sacrifice for the common good, even with using some snarky one liners hinting "I'm still a rogue at heart".

TD;DR: space cowboy finds glowing walnut, saves the universe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

In a similar vein to the above, does anyone remember an early 80s Saturday morning live action show for kids that was kind of a Star Wars ripoff? I think the main bad guy had a black beard and a red crystal eye or something that could shoot lasers.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Nerdfest X posted:

I'm trying to determine the name of a movie from the early 80's, when everybody was creating Star Wars knock-offs. In this one there is some intergalactic enemy, and somehow those who are chosen to go up against this enemy are chosen by receiving a glowing orange walnut. The main protagonist is a cowboy, or a Indiana Jones type who operates on the outskirts of the law, maybe as a smuggler or mercenary. Initially reluctant to join the cause, because "it's not my fight" I think he saves the galaxy, defeats the Bag Bad, and gets the girl. I think he is the only one who isn't all "proud to serve and do my part", and comes off as arrogant, self-centered, and giving no shits about anything but making a quick buck. He might even have a booze problem, because his glowing walnut turned up in his highball glass. Of course at the end he learns a valuable lesson about himself and making a self sacrifice for the common good, even with using some snarky one liners hinting "I'm still a rogue at heart".

TD;DR: space cowboy finds glowing walnut, saves the universe.

The glowing orange walnut alone screams "Message From Space" to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ20uEw9IjI

e: whoa, I thought that was a trailer

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Thank you very much for finding this for me again, I watched the whole awful thing. Wonderful!

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

In a similar vein to the above, does anyone remember an early 80s Saturday morning live action show for kids that was kind of a Star Wars ripoff? I think the main bad guy had a black beard and a red crystal eye or something that could shoot lasers.

Jason of Star Command. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078631/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks! Time to watch some episodes on Youtube and see if it's as terrible as I expect.

e: yup, it is! Full of stock music you've heard 1000 times before, horrible special effects, terrible acting. But -- and I normally hate so-bad-it's-good things -- it's far more entertaining than it has any right to be. Plus James Doohan!

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 30, 2013

Buh
May 17, 2008
I think this was probably a BBC or ITV TV movie. I think it was made in the 1980s, but set in the 40s or 50s. I saw it in Australia c1988.

A woman, a very smartly dressed one travels by train from London I think. On the train she talks to a stranger who is slightly creepy. She is visiting her aunt or older sister and she is a spinster. At the train station she witnesses a man leaping from the top of a railway tunnel to his death. I remember there was some friction between her and her sister. And the creepy man begins courting her and the viewer is left with the impression that he is not a nice person.

Heisanevilgenius
Sep 2, 2007
Haha, this is a shot in the dark but I once saw a movie on TV and although I don't remember it being particularly interesting, I am oddly curious about looking it up again.

Here's what I remember:
There's an important man (I honestly don't remember what his deal was) and some criminals blackmail him by drugging his wife and then stripping her naked and taking pictures of her in uncompromising positions. They also rape her. After they send him copies of the photos and their threats, the wife arms herself with a shotgun and ultimately kills them.

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

I remember watching this one when I was a bit younger (mid 90s) and it was on VHS.

It was a violent sci-fi/horror movie where a crew was stuck on a space station and a large alien was killing them off one by one. I remember heads being severed and a gory transformation sequence with some dudes head getting torn to shreds (not too far from the transformation sequence in the game Dead Space 2).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

e: probably not right.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Dreamerdeceiver52 posted:

I remember watching this one when I was a bit younger (mid 90s) and it was on VHS.

It was a violent sci-fi/horror movie where a crew was stuck on a space station and a large alien was killing them off one by one. I remember heads being severed and a gory transformation sequence with some dudes head getting torn to shreds (not too far from the transformation sequence in the game Dead Space 2).

Saturn 3 maybe? Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett, and Harvey Keitel isolated on a space station with a homicidal robot.

My question: in what movie does Richard Belzer give himself an air embolism with a syringe? Combing IMBD and Wikipedia unsuccessful so far.

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Nerdfest X posted:

Saturn 3 maybe? Kirk Douglas, Farrah Fawcett, and Harvey Keitel isolated on a space station with a homicidal robot.

Not quite it, but that sounds interesting too, I'll check it out. Thanks!

I've been thinking about it a little more, I remember it had the word 'alien' somewhere in the title. Looked like a set of jaws on the VHS cover too.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Nerdfest X posted:

My question: in what movie does Richard Belzer give himself an air embolism with a syringe? Combing IMBD and Wikipedia unsuccessful so far.

I believe that is The Puppet Masters
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Puppet_Masters_%28film%29

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

edit: maybe not, if I remember right, a character in that movie uses his IV drip to do it.

edit edit: gently caress, the fabeled "edit is not reply" thing. gently caress me.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Are you certain you're not thinking of John Carpenter's The Thing? ok, so it's a station in antarctica rather than space but the rest of it sounds the same.

deadly The thing trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmr17M-a4

Dreamerdeceiver52
Nov 11, 2007

Chewy Bitems posted:

Are you certain you're not thinking of John Carpenter's The Thing? ok, so it's a station in antarctica rather than space but the rest of it sounds the same.

deadly The thing trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftmr17M-a4

The Thing is an excellent movie, but it's definitely not The Thing, although it's similar in a few ways. The special effects are pretty similar, but it's not in the Antarctic. It may not have been set in space as well, my young memory may be failing me here!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Nerdfest X posted:

Ian McKellen kills himself this way in Apt Pupil. Maybe you got actors mixed up?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

It may literally be Dead Space:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE5Npasp4vI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
There's a movie my girlfriend watched at some point when she was a kid (mid-90s) that we're trying to find. It was probably on Nickelodeon or something like that, but could have just been replayed on TV I guess. It had something to do with a kid at a summer camp who faked being sick and the only thing he could do to keep himself occupied was solve a puzzle upside down. She thinks that perhaps one of the guys from Pete & Pete or some other similar Nick show was in it, but that could just be things blending in. Any ideas?