Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bucketmouse posted:

No that would be dumb.

Best case would be embedding a script that plays loud baby crying sounds for a few seconds after a randomized multiple minute delay but is otherwise invisible. Just imagine the reactions from both players and staff.

E: or just embed fartscroll.js, but that would be pretty obvious

Oh *please* tell me you can embed JS. You could BeeF everyone in game.

Although it doesn't seem likely, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Oh *please* tell me you can embed JS. You could BeeF everyone in game.

Although it doesn't seem likely, to be honest.

Sadly, it's not all that possible to do much with the image linking. What happens is the game processes that image is the first word, then searches through the game files to find the proper image - it's not actually using HTML in the same way that a browser would. However, what you can do is use http: instead of image to insert a hyperlink to a website that will open if someone clicks on the link in chat. Again though, someone has to actually click on the link to make anything happen.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dirk the Average posted:

Sadly, it's not all that possible to do much with the image linking. What happens is the game processes that image is the first word, then searches through the game files to find the proper image - it's not actually using HTML in the same way that a browser would. However, what you can do is use http: instead of image to insert a hyperlink to a website that will open if someone clicks on the link in chat. Again though, someone has to actually click on the link to make anything happen.

INCONTROVERTIBLE EVIDENCE OF GOON CHEATING, CLICK HERE TO SIGN THE PETITION!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
In-game clickable keylogger links inc? Seems like a pretty terrible security vulnerability.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I think you can't mail wrapped gifts CoD anymore because of this, in fact!

Yeah. They fixed it within the first season they introduced the gift wrap.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

However, that doesn't stop a more manual version of the scam. Basically, you say in trade chat that you've got tons of gifts that you've wrapped up, with at least one containing a desirable item, like an epic or a rare item with a unique look that people want for transmogging. You then charge a price for each gift such that it'd be a massive bargain if they get the rare item AND a massive overcharge for a piece of crap nobody would want if they don't (while obviously leaving you with a pretty good gold margin).

I'll leave it to your imaginations to guess just how likely it is that there is actually anything of value wrapped up. :v:

However, there is a "more legit" version in the form of Fortune Cards. To explain, people with the Inscription profession can make a card that, when flipped, can be sold to a vendor for varying amounts of cash, from a few silver to 5,000 gold. Scribes will then sell the un-flipped versions, usually at prices that're more likely to be a net loss for whoever buys 'em, due to the raw cards requiring crafting materials that people aren't actively farming anymore.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
On a different subject, let's talk about MvC3. For those who know how MvC3/other tag-team fighting games play, skip the next paragraph.

In MvC3, you play in a one round, 3v3 tag team match. You lose if all three of your characters die or have a lower combined percentage of health left than the opponent after the timer expires. Each character has unique super moves that each cost a certain number of super bars to use (which is shared among all characters), but you can trigger the supers whenever you want if you have enough bars. Before the beginning of the match, you can choose one specific move for each character to use on cue, even if they aren't tagged in, which is that character's assist. Basic fighting game stuff.

As you can probably imagine, there are tons of different play styles, especially considering the large cast in MvC. Unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to test all the combinations of characters thoroughly. Normally, that would just give rise to slight balance issues that get patched out in a few months. Unfortunately, it also results in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPPxbPI7fZQ

In case it's not clear, Deadpool is knocking his opponent back, then performing his super at the same time he calls in Trish's assist. This makes the game very confused, to say the least. Also keep in mind that matches are ranked, so for extra griefing potential, you would do this when you have less health, so the opponent would have to sit at their console doing nothing just in case you decide to knock them out of it with a few seconds left and beat up on them while they're AFK.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Note that that's in MVC3, not the current version of the game (UMVC3).

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Chocobo posted:

In-game clickable keylogger links inc? Seems like a pretty terrible security vulnerability.

Yeah.
The Chinese are pretty fond of people having fully exploitable software installed, so that is probably by design.

In fact, I totally would've installed Age of Wushu and been on the grief train by now, was I not convinced that it's backdoored up the wazoo.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah.
The Chinese are pretty fond of people having fully exploitable software installed, so that is probably by design.

In fact, I totally would've installed Age of Wushu and been on the grief train by now, was I not convinced that it's backdoored up the wazoo.

Well, where else does one get backdoored?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Cage Kicker posted:

Well, where else does one get backdoored?

I'll tell you when you're older.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Do not worry comrade, Age of Wushu is perfectly saDEATH TO THE CAPITALIST PIGDOGS

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Yeah.

I'm basically in this same boat. Most Chinese software freaks me out a little.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Alright, I'm not overly sure if I've posted these ones or if someone else has (probably not, they all come from like, 1999/2000ish) but there were some fun griefs in the Discworld MUD back in the day. I'll clean up/modernize as much of the terms as I can to make it easier to understand.

The Dragon Bomb

In the Discworld universe, there are dragons. The most populous ones, are Swamp Dragons. They are small, fat things that are scared of everything, and have a tendency to explode when excited/scared/hungry/overfed/etc. In the MUD, you could get them as pets, and they would follow you around.
There was also a huge tower in the main Wizard's Guild called the Tower of Art. A fun way to pass time was to go up the tower, tie a rope to your legs, and jump out, plummeting down before springing back up safely.

One day, someone decided to jump out with their pet Swamp Dragon following them, and discovered it exploded when it hit the ground, and they got an idea. This player went and bought about 20 swamp dragons, went to the top, and used the main chat channel to broadcast that they were doing a money giveaway in 5 minutes by the Tower of Art. People gathered almost instantly, and the plan was set in motion. He tied the rope to his legs, and hurled himself from the tower, 20 highly explosive balls of scales in tow.

The resulting explosions as dragon after dragon slammed into the cobblestones killed about 20 people.
Death wasn't a laughing matter in the Discworld MUD. You had 7 lives you could lose from PvE deaths until your character was dead. Forever. You could buy more lives from an NPC priest, but the cost went up every time and wasn't cheap for low level people to begin with.

The art of dragon bombing continued for a fair while before it was fixed that pets wouldn't fling themselves out of the tower.

----------------------------------

Through doors of Doom

In the MUD, Wizards (or non-wizards who spend huge amounts of XP training wizard skills) and Priests can portal around the world. Most of them had an item bound to just outside the main area in the game, The Mended Drum, a bar.
People would go off, kill things for XP, then portal back to the drum.

Wizard portals opened a door in the room, that was like any other direction you could go through using things like North or South etc. Their ones, once the portal was formed and the door opened, was treated the same for NPCs and Players, but most NPCs would never "wander" with an Enter Door command.

The setup for this grief was complex, required multiple classes or some very highly skilled players with ranks in skills outside their Guild Skills (guilds are basically classes). You would go out into the world, and find dangerous, auto-agroing monsters, run them to an area with as few exist as possible where a wizard had opened a door, then have a warrior(s) "Guard" the other exit(s), then have a priest fear the monster, causing it to run in a random direction. Since the only other way out of the room was blocked, they would run through the door, to wherever the wizard had opened a portal to, usually the Drum, where it would proceed to agro everyone in the room and begin murdering them in what they considered a "safe" area to AFK in.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
I really like that both of those are things that could plausibly happen in the actual discworld books. That mud sounds fun.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Through doors of Doom

Does that still work? You could technically do all that solo as a Warrior if you dropped enough XP on certain cross-class skills, as long as it was a dead-end room.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Hello Sailor posted:

Does that still work? You could technically do all that solo as a Warrior if you dropped enough XP on certain cross-class skills, as long as it was a dead-end room.

I believe it was fixed a long, long time ago.

There was also a variation to it back when the priest portal put every priest of the same god into the same room as an intermediary between their start and end rooms. The problem was you had to get the monster to actually follow you with a /follow instead of just going out the same exit you went out. But there were some auto-agro monsters that would do that, who you could then deposit into the portal room.

My favorite trick was related to my class and a very powerful NPC guard. KLK was a city in a desert that was used by groups to gain large amounts of XP from the mid-levels upwards, and one of the NPCs killed for their XP were the Palace Guards. They weren't auto agro, and came in two types: Sword and Sledgehammer. They were amazingly hard hitters with their weapons, especially the sledgehammer ones, but pathetic without them.

That's where I'd come in for groups. I was a Priest of Hat (the god of unexpected guests), and hate a couple of useful spells in groups. One was Major Shield, which was a strong damage shield, but the most powerful one for groups in KLK was Fumble. Fumble made your target drop whatever they were holding in their hands, but after a few seconds they'd pick it up. With enough skill in the spell, they wouldn't even agro onto you when you did it, making their weapons easy pickings.

What I did was fumble sledgehammers from them, then get a friend of mine who was a wizard to enchant them heavily, increasing their already insane hits even more, then I'd just hand them back to the guards, who would re-equip them. I would often either set these guys up when I knew a group was running around priestless, or pass them one in the middle of a battle, causing people to be one or two shot by things they expected to just walk all over.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Yardbomb posted:

Trouble in Murder Mystery Mental Gymnastics Town could very well be the name of the game if it wasn't so long and badly thought out. Some (A lot) of the people who play it will pull the most rear end-backwards reasoning and rule-fuckery out on you to "win" or try and start an argument. The fun part is when you do the same right back to them once they get sufficiently angry at you.
God I miss Trouble in Terrorist Town. It's amazing how idiots playing traitor think they are immune to being outed as traitor short of getting caught in the act. They'll walk out of a room with 2 unidentified bodies inside and exclaim "Can't prove it was me!" But that's the charm of TTT, the part where you reply "Actually, I can" and kill them to reveal their identity.

This is why playing detective is the best thing in TTT, all their dumb reasoning falls flat because you are the detective. I loved buying the health station, it's like a traitor magnet. I used it for 'The Health Station Hold-Up.' Players expect free heals because most idiot detectives just let everyone heal at the station (which helps traitors heal between killing everyone. :doh:) Unless they can bring me the body of a dead traitor and the weapon they killed him with, I'm not letting them heal. The downside was every time I got detective I'd kill maybe half the innocents for trying to use my health station despite my warnings not to. One would think TTT players could understand that I don't magically know they aren't the traitor, seeing how that is the entire point of the game.

So whenever an injured player approached me for heals I'd ask them why they are hurt. Traitors always seem to blame a person they've killed who will be unable to refute their claim. They consistently fail to realize that by telling the truth (hey, they did shoot each other) they are actually giving themselves up. If an innocent had killed a traitor I'd know about it (or the round would have ended) so by accusing a missing player of shooting them they are also inadvertently revealing that they are the traitor. I don't even have to find the body to know the missing player should be innocent (unless innocents are killing innocents and hiding bodies.)

You can imagine how incredibly angry traitors would get when our conversation went something like:

:v: - Howdy detective! Mind if I use that nice health station to heal?
:cop: - Why are you hurt?
:v: - Oh uhm, *missing player* shot at me.
:commissar:
***The body of :v: has been identified as traitor!***
:argh: - YOU CAN'T HAVE KNOWN I WAS THE TRAITOR! YOU DIDN'T FIND THE BODY! WHAT IF HE WAS THE REAL TRAITOR
:cop: - Why would an innocent kill a traitor and hide the body? :raise:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The best Discworld MUD grief was the most simple one, locking someone in the freezer at the Ankh-Morpork butcher guild and then just letting them freeze to death. "Sure, I'll help you do the quest!" *takes all their poo poo*

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cameron posted:

The best Discworld MUD grief was the most simple one, locking someone in the freezer at the Ankh-Morpork butcher guild and then just letting them freeze to death. "Sure, I'll help you do the quest!" *takes all their poo poo*

Oh god I remember that. The other good simple one was taking newbies into the haunted house in AM to do the quests there since they were worth insane amounts of XP, losing them and portalling out, leaving them in a pitch black house with no way out (you needed a key or very high lock picking skills), and almost every room in the house was trapped or had something that would kill you.

It was even better to tell them that "talkers" (an object used to access the global chat channels) would cause them to be attacked by ghosts, so they couldn't even ask people to get them out.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Oh god I remember that. The other good simple one was taking newbies into the haunted house in AM to do the quests there since they were worth insane amounts of XP, losing them and portalling out, leaving them in a pitch black house with no way out (you needed a key or very high lock picking skills), and almost every room in the house was trapped or had something that would kill you.

It was even better to tell them that "talkers" (an object used to access the global chat channels) would cause them to be attacked by ghosts, so they couldn't even ask people to get them out.

AM should have a Griefers Guild. I suppose they already have a Fool's Guild, but they are more focused on slapstick and the like.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Discworld MUD, there was a player club full of witches who'd help out players who needed items, by using their broomstick to fly directly to them. Combine that with the roof of the Ankh-Morpork Thieves' Guild which needed a decent amount of balancing skill to stand on, and you could call in witches and watch them fall straight off the roof. I think I killed a fruitbat by doing that (fruitbats were unique pets for witches that would follow them everywhere and hold most of their inventory, and were a pain to replace).

One I witnessed was when they brought in the Ankh-Morpork Times newspaper office. One of the npcs was a vampire. He was friendly until attacked, and had all the abilities of regular vampires. Regular vampires, if they bit you, would transform your corpse into a nasty npc vampire that would attack other people. So obviously someone got bitten, ran to the Drum, died, then their corpse transformed and ran amok among the newbies.

Another one was getting some cheap weapons warded with Divine Hand so they'd transport anyone who stole them to a certain location. A priest of Sek got his warded to the AM Thieves' Guild, then ran into the Shades so the muggers and other higher level thief npcs would swipe his weapons, get transported to the guild, then hide and start killing people or stealing from them. When called on it he said something about returning the thieves to where they belong.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Another Discworld MUD one I did was using Major Shield (a priest damage shield) back when it absorbed ALL damage up to x amount then that went through the shield (instead of a percentage).

I would simply walk around the main city where new players would level, and shield everything. Dogs were the best because they would not only follow people, they did quite a lot of damage.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Korgan posted:

When called on it he said something about returning the thieves to where they belong.

"Mend your ways!"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Korgan posted:

One I witnessed was when they brought in the Ankh-Morpork Times newspaper office. One of the npcs was a vampire. He was friendly until attacked, and had all the abilities of regular vampires.

You fiend. Otto's a Blue Ribboner!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Korgan posted:

Another one was getting some cheap weapons warded with Divine Hand so they'd transport anyone who stole them to a certain location. A priest of Sek got his warded to the AM Thieves' Guild, then ran into the Shades so the muggers and other higher level thief npcs would swipe his weapons, get transported to the guild, then hide and start killing people or stealing from them. When called on it he said something about returning the thieves to where they belong.

Did they all have licenses? I think it would be funny to trick a PC into stealing the dagger when they have no license and then once transported to the guild they get beaten up.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Machai posted:

Did they all have licenses? I think it would be funny to trick a PC into stealing the dagger when they have no license and then once transported to the guild they get beaten up.

The license is just a useful item for PC Thieves to keep track of their guild quota, it's not necessary. He's talking about NPC thieves. PCs have to be PVP-flagged to steal from other PCs (who must also be PVP-flagged) and PVPers are generally cagey enough to know better than to waste GP (action points) on stealing a worthless item in a zone they get heavily penalized for stealing in.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Korgan posted:

Discworld MUD, there was a player club full of witches who'd help out players who needed items, by using their broomstick to fly directly to them. Combine that with the roof of the Ankh-Morpork Thieves' Guild which needed a decent amount of balancing skill to stand on, and you could call in witches and watch them fall straight off the roof.

This is a pretty Discworld-esque grief.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sometimes it's just too loving easy to grief people unintentionally in TF2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THgx_dLHSwU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Scyantific posted:

Is that why this just looks like a standard turbine match with more text on the screen? :allears:

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Scyantific posted:

There is literally nothing in this video worth experiencing.

gently caress you. I legitimately want that few minutes of my life back.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Apparently it's not as loving easy as you thought.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
A few years back a game called Battle Field Heroes just came out and was in beta. It's some F2P cash shop game from EA where you have small time americans vs nazis but they're not called that. Anyway, it was a fairly simple game of team death match/control point in fairly large arenas. Vehicles were unwieldy at first, but you could run people over.

I made a character named and modeled after the Night Rider from Mad Max, and would only drive the jeep around shouting Mad Max quotes in all caps and run people over. Not really all that griefy, but man people would get loving annoyed when I would run them over. I got pretty good at running people down as I did circuits through each map.

Then a patch reduced the hit box of the jeep and lowered the damage output, so it was much more difficult to get a kill, and I quit. I really want to find another game where I can shout Mad Max quotes at people and run them over again.

Speaking of Wushu and the pulling/launching system. What's the range on those things? Could you set up a really annoying relay with several people? Like someone comes to the bank, and you set up a chain to remove them from the bank and toss em across the city?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Noah posted:

Then a patch reduced the hit box of the jeep and lowered the damage output, so it was much more difficult to get a kill, and I quit. I really want to find another game where I can shout Mad Max quotes at people and run them over again.

Battlefield 3 has what you seek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLHvHBIuG3E

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Noah posted:

I really want to find another game where I can shout Mad Max quotes at people and run them over again.

Planetside 2 just added a nitro-boosting jeep called the Harasser. Check out the thread in Games and give it a try, it's F2P. Also there's proximity voice chat (allies only) and friendly fire! Play Vanu if you also enjoy rocket propelled hover tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3nupTiNf2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8c5E1tdACs

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 21, 2013

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

There was a link to this in the sidebar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR6cfWSy0Yc
I like this better.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Noah posted:

Speaking of Wushu and the pulling/launching system. What's the range on those things? Could you set up a really annoying relay with several people? Like someone comes to the bank, and you set up a chain to remove them from the bank and toss em across the city?

I think you can pull/push someone for about a third of your screen and due to the lack of CC immunity, you can effectively chain someone around a map and into another zone.

One of the maps has an active volcano where you can push people in so goons now play a game around that volcano called 'Pubbie Golf'.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Noah posted:

Dust 514 for the PS3 has pretty good jeep action, and it's free-to-play. The playerbase is full of e-honor derpwits from Eve Online and l33t console FPS broskis, so it's really easy to make people mad. The only bad part for your plan is that you can't chat with the enemy team during a match. However, they've now added a player-owned territory mode where you can conquer some of the planets in the Eve universe, with friendly fire enabled. So if you can sneak your way into a corporation (i.e. guild/clan) that participates in this, you can join one of their matches and run over teammates all day. The best part of this is that each teamkill costs both the corporation and your target money, either in-game or real money depending on if the target bought their equipment from the cash shop.

Dust 514 thread

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Dust 514 for the PS3 has pretty good jeep action, and it's free-to-play. The playerbase is full of e-honor derpwits from Eve Online and l33t console FPS broskis, so it's really easy to make people mad. The only bad part for your plan is that you can't chat with the enemy team during a match. However, they've now added a player-owned territory mode where you can conquer some of the planets in the Eve universe, with friendly fire enabled. So if you can sneak your way into a corporation (i.e. guild/clan) that participates in this, you can join one of their matches and run over teammates all day. The best part of this is that each teamkill costs both the corporation and your target money, either in-game or real money depending on if the target bought their equipment from the cash shop.

Dust 514 thread

In addition to that, some enterprising individuals have worked out a method so that the enemy team never knows who the rear end in a top hat is that snuck into the team and led a group of team killers into the match. Which means that they can do it over and over, to the same people. They start off by demanding ransom and claiming that the other team paid them to be there. They inform the team that the ransom is to be paid out to some random member of the corp they are griefing, then team kill the poo poo out of the them when the fail to pay. The end result is the corporation looses 80 million isk by losing the match (which takes roughly 320 public battles to make back), all their members loose expensive gear, they usually kick out the person who is used as a patsy for the ransom, the other corp looks like an rear end in a top hat because people think they're paying the griefers to be there, and lately some corps have even been kicking every member who hasn't been with them for months out of fear. One corp shed over 500 members to avoid being ganked.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Sammus posted:

In addition to that, some enterprising individuals have worked out a method so that the enemy team never knows who the rear end in a top hat is that snuck into the team and led a group of team killers into the match. Which means that they can do it over and over, to the same people. They start off by demanding ransom and claiming that the other team paid them to be there. They inform the team that the ransom is to be paid out to some random member of the corp they are griefing, then team kill the poo poo out of the them when the fail to pay. The end result is the corporation looses 80 million isk by losing the match (which takes roughly 320 public battles to make back), all their members loose expensive gear, they usually kick out the person who is used as a patsy for the ransom, the other corp looks like an rear end in a top hat because people think they're paying the griefers to be there, and lately some corps have even been kicking every member who hasn't been with them for months out of fear. One corp shed over 500 members to avoid being ganked.

Wait, I'm confused. How the hell can one loss equate to 320 wins to get back to where you were? How the hell does anyone manage to have any money at all? There's something I'm missing here, help me out.

• Locked thread