Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Athenry posted:

What's the process for this? Also, will I be able to keep my phone number if I do? When my contract is up I plan on porting it to Google Voice and going pre-paid.

Find someone to take over your line. Call verizon and tell them the persons name and phone number.

They then call in to the assumption of liability line and say im taking over "your old phone number". Verizon will them set them up as a new customer or they can add the line to an existing familyshare (not share everything) account. If its on a new line of service they will keep your unlimited data and pick a 450/900/unlimited minute and texting plan. If its on a family plan then its just added to the family plan, $29.99+ $9.99/m

You cant keep your number unless you find a way to get it off your line before doing the transfer and without cancelling your account.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Account%20Management/faq_billing.html?faq=2&grp=3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Don Lapre posted:

Find someone to take over your line. Call verizon and tell them the persons name and phone number.

They then call in to the assumption of liability line and say im taking over "your old phone number". Verizon will them set them up as a new customer or they can add the line to an existing familyshare (not share everything) account. If its on a new line of service they will keep your unlimited data and pick a 450/900/unlimited minute and texting plan. If its on a family plan then its just added to the family plan, $29.99+ $9.99/m

You cant keep your number unless you find a way to get it off your line before doing the transfer and without cancelling your account.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Account%20Management/faq_billing.html?faq=2&grp=3

I'll have to think about it then. Seems they're going for a couple hundred on ebay, but I've had my phone number for close to a decade.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Athenry posted:

I'll have to think about it then. Seems they're going for a couple hundred on ebay, but I've had my phone number for close to a decade.

You don't have to wait for your contract to be up. The person takes it over. I got $280 and $230 for my lines on eBay.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
What's the lowest possible price anyone has seen a microcell get discounted to? There are two Verizon users in the house.

Apparently despite the coverage map suggesting i have amazing 4g at my home i just rented, i don't. I can't even hold a voice call.

The trouble ticket came back stating there is no primary tower but there are plans to eventually build one.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
I want a new Lumia 928, and I also want to keep my unlimited data. I've resigned myself to paying full retail price for the phone; I'm not worried about that. But I still have some questions.

First, if I press hard, will they sell me a phone at full retail at the Verizon store? They said they don't really do that - don't get commissions and so forth. I can sort of understand that, but a customer with cash in hand...

Second, if I go with the Microsoft store, what do I need to do to activate it? Put in the SIM card (I have a Bionic, so I have a SIM card), then go on the website and enter the phone's IMEI?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Mr_D posted:

I want a new Lumia 928, and I also want to keep my unlimited data. I've resigned myself to paying full retail price for the phone; I'm not worried about that. But I still have some questions.

First, if I press hard, will they sell me a phone at full retail at the Verizon store? They said they don't really do that - don't get commissions and so forth. I can sort of understand that, but a customer with cash in hand...

Second, if I go with the Microsoft store, what do I need to do to activate it? Put in the SIM card (I have a Bionic, so I have a SIM card), then go on the website and enter the phone's IMEI?

Some won't want sell you it as they don't make any money on it. But they will do it.

You will need a new sim or a sim cutter as the 928 takes the smaller micro sim and your bionic uses a mini.

If you cut the sim just pop it in the phone and you are all set. No need to tell Verizon anything.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you can wait, windows phones dont hold their value well at all. In a few months you will probably be able to pick up a used one for way cheaper.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

There's really no reason to buy an off contract phone direct from Verizon. The only time it really makes sense is if you can't find it elsewhere, it's a release day purchase, or if you really don't want a used phone.

Their off-contract prices are usually on the higher end of the spectrum and are usually beat if you shop around.

Edit: If you do buy from VZW, make sure it's from a corporate store or telesales. Authorized retailers usually hit you with additional fees.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 17, 2013

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
I'm on the old Nationwide TLK&TXT Share 1400, and no longer need that many minutes. Will adjusting down the the 700 bucket affect my unlimited data?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

stormrider posted:

I'm on the old Nationwide TLK&TXT Share 1400, and no longer need that many minutes. Will adjusting down the the 700 bucket affect my unlimited data?

No.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Is there a recommended network extender thing? We live in a 4G area and recently moved into a home that seems to be a semi dead zone.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I've heard that if you call up verizon and complain enough about your house being a dead zone they'll heavily discount their network extender. Might be worth a shot.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

CancerStick posted:

Is there a recommended network extender thing? We live in a 4G area and recently moved into a home that seems to be a semi dead zone.

I pretty much asked that 9 posts up. They offer a microcell. I was offered $100 bux off the $250 list price. This is still loving retarded as the place I moved was listed as Amazing Super A+ Perfect signal in their street level maps, and by technical support.

Edit: Their Microcells are 3G only. But if you're home, just connect to wireless anyway.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
3G only? Not even extending the signal for voice and SMS? Because that's the dealbreaker in our house.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

3G only? Not even extending the signal for voice and SMS? Because that's the dealbreaker in our house.

Its voice and 3G. Just no 4G. It also still costs you minutes and data even though its being routed through your home broadband connection.

Yeah. I can't even hold a voice call either.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Laranzu posted:

Its voice and 3G. Just no 4G. It also still costs you minutes and data even though its being routed through your home broadband connection.

Yeah. I can't even hold a voice call either.

We can hold a voice call, you just have to be in one room on the second story. Basement where the workstations are is a no-go, which is problematic when trying to work from home.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I love how microcells mean you still use peak minutes despite you using your own power and internet access to route the calls.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

kitten smoothie posted:

I love how microcells mean you still use peak minutes despite you using your own power and internet access to route the calls.

It's the perfect business model scam. "Oh so sorry we don't provide the service that you pay $X/mo for, pay us an additional $100 for this device you can hook up to your own independent utilities, and continue to pay us $X and we'll continue to provide the same level of service that you're used to! (none)"

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
About to drive through Canada this week, and am going to pay the $25 for 100mb data for navigation. Looks like that also gives me unlimited texts, since it says they just come out of your bucket. Anyone know what it does with mms?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

stormrider posted:

About to drive through Canada this week, and am going to pay the $25 for 100mb data for navigation. Looks like that also gives me unlimited texts, since it says they just come out of your bucket. Anyone know what it does with mms?

I assume an MMS would be billed as a text (out of your bucket) plus the data for the media.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Has anyone tried an original RAZR or RAZR MAXX with a foreign SIM? I'm in Europe and its vastly more expensive to get a RAZR here than in teh US and impossible to get a RAZR MAXX HD. If I can get it working here then it'll be very tempting to import one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mark Larson posted:

Has anyone tried an original RAZR or RAZR MAXX with a foreign SIM? I'm in Europe and its vastly more expensive to get a RAZR here than in teh US and impossible to get a RAZR MAXX HD. If I can get it working here then it'll be very tempting to import one.

As long as verizon will unlock it and your gsm carrier supports HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Right now I have a 3G only phone, the Droid X2 (Yes, it's old). But I also have unlimited data on verizon. If I buy a used S3 from craigslist, will I keep my unlimited data? Should I go for the S3 that I can get used for 250-300, or a Gnex new for about 200? I just REALLY need to get away from this X2.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Aardvark Barber posted:

Right now I have a 3G only phone, the Droid X2 (Yes, it's old). But I also have unlimited data on verizon. If I buy a used S3 from craigslist, will I keep my unlimited data? Should I go for the S3 that I can get used for 250-300, or a Gnex new for about 200? I just REALLY need to get away from this X2.

Yes, you can keep unlimited. the Gnex's battery isn't great, but it is a stock android device. The S3 has a bigger screen, better battery and touchwiz + s stuff.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
As a Gnex user, don't buy one. The battery is total garbage and it's starting to show its age.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Athenry posted:

Yes, you can keep unlimited. the Gnex's battery isn't great, but it is a stock android device. The S3 has a bigger screen, better battery and touchwiz + s stuff.

Is the S3 easy to root and install some version of CM on it? I'm really all about stock android.. or would Touchwiz + Apex/Nova suffice?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Aardvark Barber posted:

Is the S3 easy to root and install some version of CM on it? I'm really all about stock android.. or would Touchwiz + Apex/Nova suffice?

Honestly. I'm stock touchwiz newest ota and all I've done is toss Nova on it. I'm super happy. I came from a RAZR maxx and a nexus previously.

I've skipped root because I've not seen a major reason to switch. Personally.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

big mean giraffe posted:

As a Gnex user, don't buy one. The battery is total garbage and it's starting to show its age.

Yes this! I can easily burn though 2 batteries, with a day of texting, email, navigation and light forum browsing. LTE and the screen are just to much for a 1800mAh or 2100mAh battery.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

We should get something in the op about how to not lose your unlimited since it keeps popping up several times per page.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Im a dumb gently caress and instead of transferring an upgrade to my line(2 gb data) I ordered the sg4 for my dad on his unlimited line. He uses a lot of data so I need to activate the sg4 on my line so he keeps the unlimited data and then switch the phone back to him. Can I do this from home? Should I call support first(I think the order number will be tied to his phone number) or will this have to be handled in a corporate store? Oh and I have an iphone 5 so not sure if that matters sim wise

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Im a dumb gently caress and instead of transferring an upgrade to my line(2 gb data) I ordered the sg4 for my dad on his unlimited line. He uses a lot of data so I need to activate the sg4 on my line so he keeps the unlimited data and then switch the phone back to him. Can I do this from home? Should I call support first(I think the order number will be tied to his phone number) or will this have to be handled in a corporate store? Oh and I have an iphone 5 so not sure if that matters sim wise

You'll need to call, Reverse the upgrade, and return the phone. You cant use an upgrade on any line with unlimited and retain unlimited. If you sign a contract AT ALL on that line, its gone. Do it NOW before its too late.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yep. You must cancel or return the order. You cannot transfer an upgrade from an unlimited line and keep unlimited on it. You can't touch anything contract related on an unlimited line.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
My Note 2 only charges when the USB cable is at certain angles, so I wanted to bring it to the Verizon store to get replaced... I upgraded in December, so it shouldn't be any problem, right? Will they just give me a new one on the spot, and should I unroot/reflash stock before bringing it in or will they care?

I'm moving in a few days so would like to get this fixed before then if I can... I don't have my Verizon receipt or box for the phone or anything.

E: the whole reason I posted is I wanted to ask if I could swap my titanium note 2 for a white one

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 23, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ACID POLICE posted:

My Note 2 only charges when the USB cable is at certain angles, so I wanted to bring it to the Verizon store to get replaced... I upgraded in December, so it shouldn't be any problem, right? Will they just give me a new one on the spot, and should I unroot/reflash stock before bringing it in or will they care?

I'm moving in a few days so would like to get this fixed before then if I can... I don't have my Verizon receipt or box for the phone or anything.

E: the whole reason I posted is I wanted to ask if I could swap my titanium note 2 for a white one

They don't do swaps in store. You should just call in and you will get a refurb mailed to you and you then return yours.

As far as swaps, we had them replace our droid 2 global with a droid 3 under warranty.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Aardvark Barber posted:

I'm running CM 10.1 RC1 and have been running nightlies since January.

Once the bootloader is unlocked, it's just like all the other S3 versions, support-wise.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Since today is GS4 release day on Verizon Droid-Life has helpfully put together a how-to for getting the device rooted. It doesn't touch the bootloader and leaves the stock firmware.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/23/how-to-root-the-verizon-galaxy-s4/

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Is it still rumor that the HTC One is coming to Verizon? Thinking about replacing my Rezound with the SGS4 but want to keep my options open just in case. Also, I've never had a touchwiz phone, but with my HTC I use Nova launcher to replace Sense, but some elements of sense are still used like the lockscreen with it's text message preview, audio controls, weather, etc but some elements don't work with nova on the home screens like the Stocks widget, Music player widget, calendar widget, etc... is touchwiz the same way?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

BJA posted:

Is it still rumor that the HTC One is coming to Verizon? Thinking about replacing my Rezound with the SGS4 but want to keep my options open just in case. Also, I've never had a touchwiz phone, but with my HTC I use Nova launcher to replace Sense, but some elements of sense are still used like the lockscreen with it's text message preview, audio controls, weather, etc but some elements don't work with nova on the home screens like the Stocks widget, Music player widget, calendar widget, etc... is touchwiz the same way?

If I recall correctly there's supposed to be an announcement of some sort today. It's rumored that it's the HTC One Verizon edition.

E: Nevermind, the event was yesterday. I guess nobody knows. It'll probably come as a differently branded device like how the Butterfly came as the DROID DNA.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 23, 2013

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Dammit!

My impetuous and impatient girlfriend suddenly decided she wants a new smartphone like RIGHT NOW and I want her to wait until I talk to you folks and try to get her the best deal for her money.

She is off-contract with her Verizon Blackberry and she wants a smartphone. She is looking at the Droid4 for $99, and 4G for $110/mo. She is currently using a Verizon WiFi Hotspot for her internet service (I know, I know) and I want her to get rid of it. I don't know if that includes mobile WiFi. I am trying to find out:
A) What is her monthly bandwidth allowance on her WiFi?
B) Could she do the same thing with a phone plan?
C) Why won't she just get a cheap broadband-only plan from TWC or AT&T or... Wirespeed or someone? Separate from her phone.

I am working on those questions now.

She is currently using a Verizon WiFi Hotspot for her internet service (I know, I know) and wants to get rid of it.

I convinced her to give me 24 hours to consult the thread and get her the best advice and the best plan possible.

I imagine she will want a smartphone that will be her mobile hotspot. Something low-to-mid price range for the phone

I'm stuck at work with limited access to the internet, and I am not at all familiar with Verizon's plans or available phones.

I really want to come through for her on this, but her impatience (this just happened today out of the blue and she wants to be "done by the 25th") is driving me crazy.

Any suggestions?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Don't buy a Droid4 for $99. I can't believe they are still that price anyway. I wouldn't even take it for free.

Sounds like the $110 would include share data so she could use the hotspot feature on the smartphone. However it would suck to have your laptop connected to your phone all the drat time. It's gonna drain the battery on the cell phone quickly and if she takes a call it will kill the connection to the laptop.

• Locked thread