Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

LorrdErnie posted:

My father, sister and I are flying into San Francisco on Saturday to spend several days visiting family. I'm sure that they'll have lots of ideas on good places to eat, but I'd love to have the GWC opinion on what absolutely shouldn't be missed around there. I'd prefer places with entrees <$15 so as to not break the bank but if there's something absolutely phenomenal that's up around $25 I could certainly be convinced to check it out. :)

I don't know if y'all are big drinkers, but Smuggler's Cove really shouldn't be missed if you're into amazing decor and astonishing cocktails. The drinks are $8-$15, but totally worth it. Don't go on a weekend night though – Sunday through Thursday is your best bet (and both Sundays and Thursdays can get surprisingly busy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've done way the gently caress too little cooking with stock. I wanted to practice using chicken stock to make couscous. What's the "right" amount to dilute it with water? (I'm just using storebought stock for now; I'll make my own when I get more time.)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Food temperature question:

At the recommendation of this thread, I have recently acquired a thermapen. It is awesome, and I do not regret it. Now however, I have entered into a new world where I can obsessively check the temperature of the chicken breast I am sauteing in my pan. I am wondering if there are any good resources for done-ness temperatures? Google tells me that chicken breast is done anywhere between 160-170 F, but from my dinner tonight, 160 is way overcooked and dry...have I been undercooking my chicken breast for the last 5 years and didn't realize it? What do all of you use as a reference for cooking temperatures?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Most recommendations for chicken that I find here in Sweden these days recommend a temperature of 155-158 degrees F (68-70 degrees C). Older ones, that focus mostly on safety above all else recommend 158 or above.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CloseFriend posted:

I've done way the gently caress too little cooking with stock. I wanted to practice using chicken stock to make couscous. What's the "right" amount to dilute it with water? (I'm just using storebought stock for now; I'll make my own when I get more time.)

Depends on the stock. I wouldn't dilute store bought at all. When you make your own, taste it and see when it's good. Then if you freeze it like that, don't dilute it. Or boil it down to half volume, then use equal parts water and stock. Or use less water and have a more intense flavor. It's all up to what you want.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Food temperature question:

At the recommendation of this thread, I have recently acquired a thermapen. It is awesome, and I do not regret it. Now however, I have entered into a new world where I can obsessively check the temperature of the chicken breast I am sauteing in my pan. I am wondering if there are any good resources for done-ness temperatures? Google tells me that chicken breast is done anywhere between 160-170 F, but from my dinner tonight, 160 is way overcooked and dry...have I been undercooking my chicken breast for the last 5 years and didn't realize it? What do all of you use as a reference for cooking temperatures?

I pull my chicken breasts at 150 and they are delightfully moist and delicious. You could go even a bit lower, but I personally don't enjoy the texture as much.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
We are having a last-minute Iowa backyard wedding early June, and I need your goons' help!

I'm charged with wedding cocktails and day-after brunch fare. The wedding is super casual, with traditional Iowa summer food like pulled pork sandwiches, corn on the cob, hot dish, etc. served picnic-style. We're going to have two or three glass beverage dispensers, and I'd like your thoughts on what to fill them with. I was thinking two boozy drinks (mojitos, sangria, boozy lemonade?) that are pretty to look at. We also have a substantial group of teetotalers. Would serving them homemade lemonade with a small assortment of add-ins like fruit and syrups be a good idea?

Also, what are some good brunch ideas that would serve a crowd of 25-30? We already have frittatas and fruit planned. Stuffed french toast has been requested several times, but I'd like to do a baked good that's more interesting. Maybe a tart or two?

tl;dr: What are some pretty boozy/non-boozy drinks? What are some good brunch foods besides eggs to feed a larger group? Thank you!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Midniter posted:

I pull my chicken breasts at 150 and they are delightfully moist and delicious. You could go even a bit lower, but I personally don't enjoy the texture as much.

I cook chicken in a panini press, and I pull it at 165-170, and it's still really moist and delicious. Turkey has to be pulled a little before then, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

tl;dr: What are some pretty boozy/non-boozy drinks? What are some good brunch foods besides eggs to feed a larger group? Thank you!

Definitely do a sangria with a bunch of cut up fruit in it, those are always pretty. You could do both a red and a white sangria, too. For the teetotalers, I think homemade lemonade and iced tea would go over well.

For the brunch, you already have fruit, now bake a couple wheels of brie and slice up some crusty baguettes.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CloseFriend posted:

If it's concentrated, just follow the instructions on the can, otherwise just use it as is.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Thanks so much guys! My family isn't much for cocktails generally, but I honestly think that I'm probably gonna hit Smuggler's Cove one of the nights I'm there after looking at some pictures. The restaurants all sound fantastic too, especially looking forward to my first taste of burmese food.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

We are having a last-minute Iowa backyard wedding early June, and I need your goons' help!

I'm charged with wedding cocktails and day-after brunch fare. The wedding is super casual, with traditional Iowa summer food like pulled pork sandwiches, corn on the cob, hot dish, etc. served picnic-style. We're going to have two or three glass beverage dispensers, and I'd like your thoughts on what to fill them with. I was thinking two boozy drinks (mojitos, sangria, boozy lemonade?) that are pretty to look at. We also have a substantial group of teetotalers. Would serving them homemade lemonade with a small assortment of add-ins like fruit and syrups be a good idea?

Also, what are some good brunch ideas that would serve a crowd of 25-30? We already have frittatas and fruit planned. Stuffed french toast has been requested several times, but I'd like to do a baked good that's more interesting. Maybe a tart or two?

In terms of drinks for a party, I always recommend punch. For that gathering I'd recommend either Limmer's or Boston Club, depending on your budget.

For non-alcoholic, make a lemon, lime, and bitters. Basically it's lemonade + limeade with a good shaking of Angostura bitters mixed in. I made some for my mom's 50th birthday party recently and everyone was raving. Fresh lemons and limes, of course.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Loads of questions:

From the product recommendation thread:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

USDA temps/guidelines suck, use these, they account for average carryover:

Black and blue: Sear it, don't go over 100F
rare: pull at 108
mid-rare: pull at 118
medium: pull at 131
mid-well: pull at 143
well: gently caress you, you killed it.

Just as an anecdotal statement, I've been eating chicken breast at 140F for years, and have never had food poisoning. Pull it, rest it for ~4 mins, and you're fine.

1. When he/people says/say rest, is this covered or uncovered?

2. I was also talking to my mom about how I bought a $100 Thermapen and the next time I saw her she gave me one of these (infrared food thermometer) that she said was lying around the kitchen unused. What exactly do I use it for? I can't imagine I'd ever want to use it to check meat temperatures since I imagine it only reads the surface temperature.

3. I was gifted a set of containers for spices and herbs so I guess tomorrow I want to go shopping to fill it up. They are unlabeled containers and let's assume I don't have anything in my kitchen, what spices/herbs should I buy that would give me the best variety for cooking? I only use salt and pepper and all the different types of herbs for example are intimidating—is there some kind of rough guideline for when/what I should use e.g., thyme and parsley, cloves, etc, for? Like a spices and herbs for dummies guide.

4. This is relating to #3, but there are a few different types of salts and peppers (peppercorns) at the supermarket. What are they all used for?

5. Relating to #3 and #4… does it actually matter what brand spices/herbs I buy? Does buying the cheapest storebrand vs a namebrand really make that much of a difference?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Make bagels. Serve with cream cheese, smoked salmon (or smoked mackerel pâté), plain butter, egg and onion, etc. Scones would be good too.

I like the baked Brie idea, that's a good one.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Thanks everyone for the food cooking temps, very helpful. 140 it is, that seems to make a little more sense and follows what I've been doing via instinct for a while now.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Boris Galerkin posted:

2. I was also talking to my mom about how I bought a $100 Thermapen and the next time I saw her she gave me one of these (infrared food thermometer) that she said was lying around the kitchen unused. What exactly do I use it for? I can't imagine I'd ever want to use it to check meat temperatures since I imagine it only reads the surface temperature.

I'd use it for checking the temperature of a pan when I'm searing something or for checking the temperature of the oil if I'm frying something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Safety Dance posted:

I'd use it for checking the temperature of a pan when I'm searing something or for checking the temperature of the oil if I'm frying something.

It should be noted that this doesn't work for empty stainless steel, as something about the properties of SS don't show up on laser thermometers accurately. You have to put a little oil in the pan and check the temperature of that.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Boris Galerkin posted:

Loads of questions:

From the product recommendation thread:

1. When he/people says/say rest, is this covered or uncovered?

3. I was gifted a set of containers for spices and herbs so I guess tomorrow I want to go shopping to fill it up. They are unlabeled containers and let's assume I don't have anything in my kitchen, what spices/herbs should I buy that would give me the best variety for cooking? I only use salt and pepper and all the different types of herbs for example are intimidating—is there some kind of rough guideline for when/what I should use e.g., thyme and parsley, cloves, etc, for? Like a spices and herbs for dummies guide.

4. This is relating to #3, but there are a few different types of salts and peppers (peppercorns) at the supermarket. What are they all used for?

5. Relating to #3 and #4… does it actually matter what brand spices/herbs I buy? Does buying the cheapest storebrand vs a namebrand really make that much of a difference?

1) I think the most common way to rest is on a warmed plate with tin foil on top? I'm not even sure but that's how I do it

2) Answered already

3) Right now I have:

Dill
Cumin Seeds
Coriander seeds
Paprika
Fennel
Fenugreek
Cardemom seeds
Garam masala
Black mustard seeds
Sesame seeds
Turmeric
Whole cloves
Dried oregano
Dried rosemary
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Cinnamon (sticks and ground)
Like seriously 6oz of saffron, thanks visit to Israel (don't do this)

Don't forget other things like Olive Oil and EVOO. Keep in mind that EVOO is actually not the best to COOK with, it's the best to use for salad dressings. Regular rear end olive oil has a higher smokepoint and better flavor.

4) Just different kinds of flavor

5) Not really. Buying whole and grinding is incredibly better and cheaper than buying preground. Get a nice mortar and pestle, it is worth the investment. The best, best place to buy is plastic bags at ethnic markets. You get a huge amount for $7 at most. I bought $4 of cumin and I use it nearly once a day and I don't know how I'll ever go through this amount.

There's probably way more that are considered Super Useful that I am missing.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 24, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Salt is salt. What makes salts different are trace minerals found in them and/or additional flavors added as well as the texture of the crystal which can be used for different effects. Coarse crystals are great for finishing as it adds a great crunch. Flake salts and maldon are great for a different texture on the finish. Finer/lighter salts like diamond crystal are better for general purpose seasoning. Pickling salts are very fine grained and are great for dissolving into cold water or onto hot foods where you don't necessarily want texture such as popcorn or fries. I use a variety of different salts but I'm also kind of a sperglord. The ones I have are french gray salt, fleur de sel, maldon, salish alder smoked salt, french sea vegetable salt, black salt, hawaiian alae, himalayan pink, diamond crystal. I would start with diamond crystal and maybe gray salt or maldon (one general purpose, one finishing) and see how that all works out. As mentioned, there are flavored salts too, like truffle salt, bacon salt, etc. you can really go apeshit crazy buyingsalts if you really want to.

Peppercorns have differing flavors and are used depending on application. Black peppercorns are general purpose peppercorns, white peppercorns are a bit milder and offer a, well, they taste like a senior home. Some people dont really care for them, but theyre great for adding to white sauces and foods so you maintain the unblemished look if you really care. pink peppercorns arent peppercorns at all but they lend a slightly fruity pepperyness, green peppercorns are more for southeast asian food. yes theyre all different and then there are sub categories of pepper such as in black peppercorns there are cubeb, tellicherry, malabar, each are subtley different but I wouldnt really worry about that for the time being. I think Tellicherrys are a great all around peppercorn to use.

#5? Yes and no. Getting started, no. You probably wont really notice too much of a difference but I wouldn't go hog wild and buy bulk of a shitton of lowtier spices. There is a difference, and for some spices quite a difference. Cinnamon, Paprika, and saffron come to mind, though the latter I wouldn't recommend messing with until you come across a specific recipe that calls for it.

Here are some good versatile spices:

Tellicherry peppercorns - everything
cumin - african, latin american, indian, asian foods
coriander seed - african, latin american, indian, asian foods
cardamom - african, indian, southeast asian foods
bay leaves - everything
thyme - continental cuisine
sage - continental cuisine
nutmeg - indian and south east asian foods, continental desserts
cinnamon - indian and asian foods, continental desserts
fennel seed - italian and french foods, indian and chinese
Hungarian paprika - everything
Cayenne pepper - everything, especially american southern food.
oregano - italian and latin american foods
Caraway seed - eastern european foods, some parts of african foods
black and white mustard seeds - everything, though you could probably get away with just black seeds starting out
guajillo chile - base chile powder for a lot of things

buy whole spices where you can and grind them as you need them

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 24, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The only place I use white pepper exclusively is congee. Don't know why, can't bring myself to put anything but white pepper in it. I think it's just because all my life it's how I've seen it done.

Also, tellicherry peppercorns are the poo poo.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Steve Yun posted:

It should be noted that this doesn't work for empty stainless steel, as something about the properties of SS don't show up on laser thermometers accurately. You have to put a little oil in the pan and check the temperature of that.

Holy poo poo, that explains a lot. I had my pan catch on fire the other day because I poured some oil in because the thermometer was reading 320f. I had figured my thermometer was poo poo.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I figure it's the same reason a laser mouse has trouble on a shiny surface. Works great with cast iron though.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

I'm now realizing that I'm going to be spending just as much time in Portland as in San Francisco and was wondering the same sort of thing about Portland restaurants? Places not to miss with Entrees under $15 would be absolutely fantastic to hear about.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Osso bucco is an easy slow-cooker dish. It's peasant food that seems fancy, and it's ridiculously delicious for what it is. The ingredients list might look a little scary, but really you're just chucking it all in and letting it simmer. I usually chop my veggies the night before and stick them in a ziploc in the fridge, so in the morning I can just pile everything in and set the cooker.

1 1/2 – 2 lbs beef shanks
3 cups beef broth
2 cups white wine
3/4 cups tomato sauce
2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 cup diced onion
1 fresh rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper

(That will easily make two meals, and it's just as good the next day.)

Beef shanks are usually wicked cheap. Make sure you eat the marrow out of the bones. Serve over rice or with some nice crusty bread.

Just wanted to say thanks for this recipe. I made it yesterday and it was delicious. Have any other good slow-cooker recipes?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Cooked some chili in a slow cooker overnight. It was finished yesterday at 2 PM. Turned off the slow cooker then and totally forgot about it. It's 1 PM today and it's still in there, still covered. Safe to eat if I warm it up?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

89 posted:

Cooked some chili in a slow cooker overnight. It was finished yesterday at 2 PM. Turned off the slow cooker then and totally forgot about it. It's 1 PM today and it's still in there, still covered. Safe to eat if I warm it up?

does it smell off (think garbage bin on a hot day or an old bandaid)? taste off? If not I would heat it to a boil before eating just in case and it should be fine.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

89 posted:

It was below 120F for more than four hours, and would violate health code regulations if it was served in a restaurant in most states.

I would probably not eat it and I would for sure not feed it to a kid or someone with an autoimmune condition.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It was below 120F for more than four hours, and would violate health code regulations if it was served in a restaurant in most states.

I would probably not eat it and I would for sure not feed it to a kid or someone with an autoimmune condition.

Gonna go with Ricola here. I wouldn't risk it and would chuck it. Chili's cheap.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah I figure it's the same reason a laser mouse has trouble on a shiny surface. Works great with cast iron though.

Its actually related to the emissivity of the surface. Those IR thermometers work best on black matte surfaces, but the more expensive gun-like ones have a calibration factor you can change to account for the surface you are trying to measure.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

89 posted:

It might violate some health code regulations but I'd personally definitely go for it. Like Gravity said if it doesn't taste or smell off, whatever.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Thanks for the chicken stock help, guys!

Another question: does anyone have any advice for skimming lentil soup? Both the fat and the lentils float near the top and I can't seem to separate the two. Thanks!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CloseFriend posted:

Thanks for the chicken stock help, guys!

Another question: does anyone have any advice for skimming lentil soup? Both the fat and the lentils float near the top and I can't seem to separate the two. Thanks!

Pass the soup through a sieve, strain out the lentils. Allow the fat to rise to the top of the liquid, skim off and add back in the lentils.

I wouldn't bother though. Just eat it with the fat, because fat tastes nice.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I just always cook my lentils/beans/legumes separately then mix them in at the end.

Same with most veggies though, since you can get the texture/doneness perfect.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is there a word on how to cook lobsters? I totally forgot what's proper.

I think I used to boil the claws for 5 minutes 30 seconds, and the tails for 7 minutes? Is that correct? Just looking for a refresher. It's unbelievable how much bad info on lobster there is online. I don't even know. You have some bloggers doing taste tests saying that 125 degrees sous vide is overcooked, some doing the same saying that 125 is undercooked. But I saw a really cool way to get meat out of legs so i guess it was worth it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
One of the best ways to skim fat from soup is to let it cool completely and then pull the solidified fat from the top.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

No Wave posted:

Is there a word on how to cook lobsters? I totally forgot what's proper.

I think I used to boil the claws for 5 minutes 30 seconds, and the tails for 7 minutes? Is that correct? Just looking for a refresher. It's unbelievable how much bad info on lobster there is online. I don't even know. You have some bloggers doing taste tests saying that 125 degrees sous vide is overcooked, some doing the same saying that 125 is undercooked. But I saw a really cool way to get meat out of legs so i guess it was worth it.

A rolling pin works great for getting the meat out of the legs. Start on the "foot" end and roll towards where the leg used to be attached to the body

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I just bought a huge amount of broccoli rabe and leeks. How can I combine the two to make a super tasty veggie dish to go along with pork belly?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Doh004 posted:

I just bought a huge amount of broccoli rabe and leeks. How can I combine the two to make a super tasty veggie dish to go along with pork belly?

Braise the pork belly, press it while chilling it, slice it, bread it with panko and deep fry it.

Caramelize the leeks and make a caramelized leek and salty cheese (feta?) polenta.

Big pot blanch the rapini, toss it with a tiny bit of lemon juice with salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil, and serve it with the polenta to get an awesome crunchy part to it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Braise the pork belly, press it while chilling it, slice it, bread it with panko and deep fry it.

Caramelize the leeks and make a caramelized leek and salty cheese (feta?) polenta.

Big pot blanch the rapini, toss it with a tiny bit of lemon juice with salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil, and serve it with the polenta to get an awesome crunchy part to it.

Gonna do all of this. I had already roasted the belly and was cooling it when posted, so I won't be able to braise it. I may hold off on the frying as I'm not a fan of doing it in my tiny studio apartment. I will roast again to get nice and crispy :)

Thank you though and I'll make sure to post a picture when it's all done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Gonna do all of this. I had already roasted the belly and was cooling it when posted, so I won't be able to braise it. I may hold off on the frying as I'm not a fan of doing it in my tiny studio apartment. I will roast again to get nice and crispy :)

Thank you though and I'll make sure to post a picture when it's all done.

That'll be awesome too, I love crunchy pork skin with polenta (and yeah, I hate frying in my apartment too)