Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

kinmik posted:

I love it when people go above and beyond to help others in need. I remember there was another incident where no further donations were necessary after some natural disaster or something, but I can't recall what.

Was it the boston marathon bombing where people trying to donate blood were being turned away from the hospital because they already had more than enough given?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Overminty posted:

Was it the boston marathon bombing where people trying to donate blood were being turned away from the hospital because they already had more than enough given?

Yup, we got instructed to donate in two weeks or so to refill what they used to help the victims.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Yeah it was that. Thanks for helping me remember. :unsmith:

Have a Pokemon.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.
Oh my god it's so tinyyyyy :3:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Julio Lopez posted:

A California surf dog is helping those with special needs:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9291324

Holy moly, this is totally :cry: in a good way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
"Cedar, Before and After Rescue"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

"Cedar, Before and After Rescue"

I love stuff like this :)

FREEDOM!

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

The SKYWHALE was launched recently in my home town of Canberra. God bless you floating titwhale :angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeIhmkSsB8A

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YouSpoonyBard posted:

During an interview with a woman who had lost everything because of the recent tornadoes, she finds something very important:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/oklahoma-woman-finds-dog-video-tv-rubble-garcia.html

:unsmith:

Along the same lines, an older one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNgY1Rj1mc

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Nordick posted:

I.... what. This thing is a real animal. HOW IS THIS THING A REAL ANIMAL I DEMAND TO KNOW RIGHT THIS INSTANT.

Mother Nature is one amazing deranged genius, that thing is loving gloriously doofy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

This made my day, thank you :)

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Willie the chihuahua doesn't want to take a bath

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

MikeJF posted:

Along the same lines, an older one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKNgY1Rj1mc

Oh jesus when she picks him up you can hear him purring into her microphone :cry:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 17, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.
The most :3: of all daytime murder birds. The kestrel.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Falconets (Microhierax) are the cutest little killing machines. They're even smaller than kestrels!

Trying its best to look intimidating.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What do they kill? Like... grasshoppers?

Edit: Oh god they hunt in packs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-thighed_Falconet

THEY'RE TINY WINGED WOLVES :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Magres posted:

What do they kill? Like... grasshoppers?

Edit: Oh god they hunt in packs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-thighed_Falconet

THEY'RE TINY WINGED WOLVES :3:
Can...can you go hawking with them :byodood:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo you could have one perched on each finger (wikipedia says feeding parties of up to ten of these things have been recorded) and then shake your hands for what amounts to a shotgun blast of little murderous birds.

We can make the Murder of Crows vigor from Bioshock Infinite happen. I love nature.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Garibaldi Rous tries to figure out a sprinkler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLwz5fhzYZM

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

A friend of mine is a music teacher. It's hard, low-paying, unappreciated work and she knows she'll be the first to go if budget cuts come around. Sometimes though, she gets a letter like this one and everyone she knows gets a little jealous and misty-eyed:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

During the inaugural season at Target Field here in Minnesota, for about a week, there was a Kestrel that would sit on the right field foul pole. It got named Kirby. During a rather boring game where not much was happening, Kirby started dive bombing and catching large moths to eat. He completely out-performed both teams that night. Sadly he was only there for about a week before moving on. Here he is in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRzKWdSdN1I

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A penguin on its way to the fish shop.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Jerry Cotton posted:

A penguin on its way to the fish shop.

Why am I wearing the skin of my brethren?!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

These two awesome looking people are my mom's parents - on their wedding day. With my grandfather's passing this morning, they are both gone, but I'm not here to be a downer. I'd love for people to be uplifted by their story like I always have been.
My grandmother fell in love young, and found herself pregnant and unmarried back in the 1930's. She traveled from her little town in the Bahamas all the way to California on her own, pregnant and afraid, trying to find the man she thought would be waiting for her. Instead, she found the man's wife. And family. They slammed their door in her face, leaving her broke and homeless in a strange country. She made her way to a Salvation Army women's shelter, where she was given food and a safe place to give birth to her first daughter. With nothing to keep them in the US any longer, they managed to make it back to the Bahamas to try and build a life for themselves, but as a single mother with a young child at that time, there weren't many options.
That's when she met my grandfather. Everyone said he was slow and no good for her. But she saw him for the wonderful man he was, and he saw her for the incredible woman she was. They found something special in each other and he asked her to marry him. Not many women in her situation were so lucky to find someone who didn't care about the taboo of a single mom.
So they got married! And they had five more children! And my grandfather never once treated my oldest aunt as anything but one of his own children. When she was a teenager she fell and cut herself on a sewer covering, and ended up in the hospital with tetanus and lockjaw, and the doctors weren't sure she would make it, my grandfather sat with her day in and day out. He fed her liquids with a spoon, never giving up on his daughter (and no one would dare say she wasn't). She survived! She's still alive, and a great grandmother. She tells us he was her hero from that day on.
He's our hero, too. And he was my grandma's hero. They lived together until she passed away a few years ago. Over fifty years of marriage and their love never once faltered.

So as I was saying, I'm not here to bring anyone down, because while I am very sad to say goodbye to my grandpa today, I'm so happy that not only was he in my life, but I can share such an awesome story with the world.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Your grandpa = awesome :)

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Glad I read your story Abbeh, I love stories of good people, and personal heroes. I feel the same way about my father as your aunt did about hers.

Bad Sneakers
Sep 4, 2004

me irl

That right there is one fantastic wedding dress. :allears:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Awww, that's so awesome.

In the same vein, I present another marriage story:

This is my best friend and his wife on their wedding day about a month ago. That's not the world's awkwardest wedding kiss they're engaged in, they're taking a bite out of their "unity sandwich" they decided to make. Rather than do the boring, traditional "unity candle" lighting, they made a unity PB&J sandwich. Each one spread "their" ingredient on a slice of bread (my friend was PB, she was jelly,) and then put the pieces together and took a big, messy bite. :3:

Oh, and on the back window of my friend's car, rather than write "Just Married," the Maid of Honor and other bridesmaids wrote "Just Fiends."

For my friend's last name is actually Friend. :3:

(I wanted to remove that ugly Jets sticker and replace it with a Patriots one, but I was out-voted.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Awww, that's so awesome.

In the same vein, I present another marriage story:

This is my best friend and his wife on their wedding day about a month ago. That's not the world's awkwardest wedding kiss they're engaged in, they're taking a bite out of their "unity sandwich" they decided to make. Rather than do the boring, traditional "unity candle" lighting, they made a unity PB&J sandwich. Each one spread "their" ingredient on a slice of bread (my friend was PB, she was jelly,) and then put the pieces together and took a big, messy bite. :3:

Oh, and on the back window of my friend's car, rather than write "Just Married," the Maid of Honor and other bridesmaids wrote "Just Fiends."

For my friend's last name is actually Friend. :3:

(I wanted to remove that ugly Jets sticker and replace it with a Patriots one, but I was out-voted.)

Go Steelers :v: (I promise not to turn this into an SAS derail, the Pats are actually pretty awesome too)

That's adorable that they did a sammich though, and the best kind of sandwich, too!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Bad Sneakers posted:

That right there is one fantastic wedding dress. :allears:

Here's another gorgeous dress of hers:

I'm glad you guys liked the story!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Freaking onions.

(awesome story)

Aw fuck.
Jun 30, 2007

Using Ubuntu
is awesome
A friend of mine does carts at a grocery store. He started a blog where he posts pictures of dogs he sees in people's cars.

http://dogsincarsatmywork.tumblr.com/

"License and registration please"

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Abbeh posted:

...Beautiful story...

Thanks for sharing this with us Abbeh, it truly is a lovely story. I'm sure they're together again somewhere :3:

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine
I NEVER thought I would post in this thread, although I follow it constantly.

This clip was excerpted in The Daily Show's Moment Of Zen earlier this week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-oJVTQa79s
It was cut down to less than 30 seconds; I had tears on both cheeks before the clip ended.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Wimp is a hit or miss for me, but this video of Anne Sullivan explaining how she taught Helen Keller to speak is so great.

http://www.wimp.com/helenkeller/

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Great tumblr, and it's good to know someone's looking out for dogs in cars.

And I just found this photo of them in the exact same pose fifty years later.

Boring Person
Mar 21, 2012

by T. Finninho

BattleMaster posted:

Garibaldi Rous tries to figure out a sprinkler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLwz5fhzYZM

A couple of years back at a festival I saw a capybara and it was in a tiny little enclosure. I'm not wrong in guessing it was probably unhappy,am I? :smith:

Anyways on to the cute pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Boring Person posted:

A couple of years back at a festival I saw a capybara and it was in a tiny little enclosure. I'm not wrong in guessing it was probably unhappy,am I? :smith:

It was probably upset less by the lack of room and more by the lack of companionship. Capybaras are incredibly social and need constant companionship or they get upset. It's fine to have one all by itself if you never leave it alone and always have someone it likes present, but it's usually best to keep them in pairs or larger groups.

• Locked thread