Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Rifftrax was unable to secure the rights to riff on Twilight live over the summer.

So they're now doing Starship Troopers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Tazzillekki posted:

The way I see it, money isn't the only thing you can gain from these kinds of volunteering work. The fact that for any reason you cannot afford to take advantage of this internship is not the company's problem. It's not the rich guy's problem. It's not a problem at all. You just lack the resources. I took an internship last summer out of town and it was hard as gently caress on my bank account. I had to borrow money, crash on a acquaintance's couch and all that jazz. I still came out with a net gain from the experience even if I was overall poorer for it.

Cash doesn't rule everything around me.

Why the gently caress did you write all those words when 4 would have said the same thing?

"gently caress you, got mine"

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Tazzillekki posted:

How is asking for financial support with no direct profit to the financier perfectly okay but asking for musical support while offering nothing but exposure and beer is unbelievably evil? Don't coddle them, they're adults and know what's in their best interest.

Also, nice strawman, StevenM.

You've never had a job where people actively tried to scam you out of payment because they thought your services didn't qualify as a "real job", despite having no experience in that field.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Hey guess what, fetish art is really hosed because it's geared towards getting people off by exaggeration, both in the body proportions and posing.

"Fetish art" and "well-drawn art" aren't mutually exclusive. Slugbox just sucks.

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Why the gently caress did you write all those words when 1 would have said the same thing?

"BOOTSTRAPS"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Toffile posted:

Rifftrax was unable to secure the rights to riff on Twilight live over the summer.

This is possibly better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StevenM posted:

You've never had a job

I suspect you could have stopped there. I'm getting that "high school conservative" vibe.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tazzillekki posted:

The way I see it, money isn't the only thing you can gain from these kinds of volunteering work. The fact that for any reason you cannot afford to take advantage of this internship is not the company's problem. It's not the rich guy's problem. It's not a problem at all. You just lack the resources. I took an internship last summer out of town and it was hard as gently caress on my bank account. I had to borrow money, crash on a acquaintance's couch and all that jazz. I still came out with a net gain from the experience even if I was overall poorer for it.

That's a privilege you fool, not something everyone can do. Yes, the lower classes lack the resources to do what you did, because you're able to live a bit of a pampered lifestyle (yes, pampered, even if you had to 'rough it' for a while). Being able to afford to work for free is not something everyone can manage, and your 'well I bucked up and dealt with little money, and so can you!' thing is so myopic it's scary. What about people with kids? What about people who don't have college educations and don't have access to internships?

The whole goddamn point of CREAM as a statement is that the lives of the underprivileged is ruled by their access to money, so it's funny and stupid you'd try and turn that phrase around somehow.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 14:19 on May 23, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Awful Kickstarters Vol II: Transgender Politics and the Proletariat

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Tazzillekki posted:

Yes but, it does...

You had to take out a loan and rely on a friend's financial ability to support you to take that internship. The access to (other) people's cash enabled you to go on your little venture, just like the the unavailability of resources would prevent other people from going on a similar escapade.

In fact, it would seem that cash did rule everything around you.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Tazzillekki posted:

It's not a problem at all. You just lack the resources.

ahahahahah what.

Anyway, speaking of tone-deaf conservatives, help make the trailer for the documentary of an old conservative woman moving to Denver for some reason.

quote:

Gathering all this information will allow us to bring our project to the next step, to put together a website, a great 3 to 5 minute trailer, to write a very good project and to start a research for bigger funding to make a great documentary.

And then with more funds they can make a longer trailer to generate more funds for a longer trailer to generate more funds for a great documentary. What?

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Tazzillekki posted:

gently caress you, shithead.

Must be nice having a large enough bank account to have a negative income for months at a time. Oh wait, you had to borrow money and leech off of other people for it. So your last line is a blatant lie.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

nunchi posted:

If the idea of being called an rear end in a top hat sucks, then don't be an rear end in a top hat.

So if someone asks you to do work for them for free, do you agree to do it and then complain later, or do you say 'no thanks, I'll look for a better option, maybe one where I can get paid'? Only one of those options makes sense to me, personally.

I'm not saying Amanda Palmer isn't an rear end in a top hat, of course the idea of not being paid to do real work sucks. I'm glad they got paid in the end, and they should have done in the first place considering the money that was made by the endeavor. However, (from the sounds of things) they were asked to volunteer. She didn't offer to pay them and then decide not to later, did she?

Edit: As a guy who works with musicians, artists, actors, and prop people very often, I want to add that people who work in creative industries deserve to be paid for their work. If only I had money to pay them with.

Hbomberguy has a new favorite as of 20:35 on May 23, 2013

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Please shut the gently caress up about internships. Thanks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Toffile posted:

But...Starship Troopers is a GOOD movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah but even Twilight with Rifftrax was hard to get through

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TheJoker138 posted:

Sometimes a good movie is great with a riff, and sometimes a bad movie is unrecoverable even with the best riff.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Sometimes a good movie is great with a riff, and sometimes a bad movie is unrecoverable even with the best riff.

Even with Rifftrax I couldn't sit through the whole of Twilight 2. It felt like it was 30 goddamn hours long.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Elissia posted:

Even with Rifftrax I couldn't sit through the whole of Twilight 2. It felt like it was 30 goddamn hours long.

Seriously. I use it to fall asleep at night sometimes. Even the jokes can't keep me awake for more than 20 minutes.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

If you are interested in Amanda Palmer's perspective on the whole thing, appropriately titled The Art Of Asking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMj_P_6H69g

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds

cool biRd pics posted:

Blue Falcon / GIF Coin
This is another one of those things that someone is going to have to explain to me. Guy also has another kickstarter campaign that was unsuccessful but features the same style of gorgeous art.

For what it's worth. This just ended unsuccessfully. $710 of a $3000 goal.

honestly kind of wonder if the arabic actually translates

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

cool biRd pics posted:

For what it's worth. This just ended unsuccessfully. $710 of a $3000 goal.

If anyone answered, I didn't see it. The Good Idea Fairy is military slang -- she whispers into the ear of Military Brass causing them to make stupid decisions which wastes money and man hours. I can attest that she works for federal civil service too. The idea of a Good Idea Djinn working for the other side is a little funny too.

Blue Falcon is more military slang which stands for the one jerk that drags everyone else in the unit down and gets them into trouble.

It's actually a funny idea executed horribly (like so many things on kickstarter).

It doesn't help that the guy's comic site is painfully unfunny and racist too.

Verdugo has a new favorite as of 23:53 on May 24, 2013

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Verdugo posted:

If anyone answered, I didn't see it. The Good Idea Fairy is military slang -- she whispers into the ear of Military Brass causing them to make stupid decisions which wastes money and man hours. I can attest that she works for federal civil service too. The idea of a Good Idea Djinn working for the other side is a little funny too.

Blue Falcon is more military slang which stands for the one jerk that drags everyone else in the unit down and gets them into trouble.

It's actually a funny idea executed horribly (like so many things on kickstarter).

Just to expand on the Blue Falcon part. It is the non curse slang term for Buddy Fucker. Like Verdugo said, someone that fucks over the people in his unit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But what about Dynamutt?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

But what about Dynamutt?

Like Verdugo said, someone that fucks over the people in his unit.

Tazzillekki
Nov 11, 2012

cool biRd pics posted:

If it was supposes to be Arabic. Then it's just gibberish. It's probably Afghani or something.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Tazzillekki posted:

If it was supposes to be Arabic. Then it's just gibberish. It's probably Afghani or something.

I think you mean Farsi.

Yeah, it's definitely not traditional Arabic, but the words being used can all easily be real ones (depending on pronunciation etc.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/378279437/the-man-card

It's a steel card with the word "MAN" on it.

You pull it out when you're not secure in your own masculinity.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Waffleman_ posted:

This would be quite handy for people who have a hard time demonstrating that they have testicles to others and/or people who have long term memory disorders and very short arms. It's also a bar mitzvah gift. For everyone else, I can see that it would be a solid reference in situations where you absolutely have to prove that you're a douchebag.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

MAN CARD posted:

Finally—The MAN card that cannot be revoked.

We as men can get a lot of flak from our buddies for what we love if it is different from the "masculine" mainstream. It seems we are always trying to guard our masculinity—well, my friends, my brothers and sisters—that time is over.

I want to create the MAN card that is yours forever. That's right. No one can take it. No one can rip it up, punch a hole in it or stomp on it.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just send an e-mail to everyone who would buy this that says "GET NEW FRIENDS".

Alternatively, a better product would be a glove to put on so you don't hurt your hand when you slap your friends for being dumb.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

The man card is a bit of a conundrum. Anyone that would use it is probably not secure in their man-ness anyway, so they would have to constantly flash it to themselves as a reminder that they are a man. At the same time, many of the uses described on the kickstarter page are not examples of men, but of assholes pretending to be men. If you are so insecure about your own masculinity that you use that card, perhaps you are not really a man after all.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I'm fairly certain I could take a MAN card from anyone that would pull it out and actually try to "use" it.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
The MAN card is the 2013 version of that 1982 classic book Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. And it's equally lame. No, lamer. RMDEQ actually could make a case for itself. The MAN card can't do that. Does it say "Pretentious Douchebag" on the other side? Because that works, too!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

If you are interested in Amanda Palmer's perspective on the whole thing, appropriately titled The Art Of Asking.

I skipped around a lot, but apparently her side is, "she asked for money without shame"? Also she let germans draw on her. This doesn't sound like wise, sane or practical advice.

That MAN card is some terrible poo poo that Adam Corrolla would "ask his fans" to buy.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AxeManiac posted:

I skipped around a lot, but apparently her side is, "she asked for money without shame"? Also she let germans draw on her. This doesn't sound like wise, sane or practical advice.

That MAN card is some terrible poo poo that Adam Corrolla would "ask his fans" to buy.

It's more like "I feel more comfortable with being treated like a street performer."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The steel man card would be the best. Next time I'm playing Nintendo games and my friends make a snarky comment of "I should revoke your man card" I can whip that out. Go ahead, try and rip it :smuggo:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

genesplicer posted:

The MAN card is the 2013 version of that 1982 classic book Real Men Don't Eat Quiche. And it's equally lame. No, lamer. RMDEQ actually could make a case for itself. The MAN card can't do that. Does it say "Pretentious Douchebag" on the other side? Because that works, too!

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche was actually written as a satire that proto-MRAs ended up believe in.

Young Freud has a new favorite as of 03:03 on May 29, 2013

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Her perspective on it now. The biggest pissoff is that for years she went on and on about not having money and the virtues of true friendshipTM and love for her fellow artists. This woman wrote pages and pages on the artness of art and guaranteed, for years, that all her money would go into making bigger, better art. Apparently artistic integrity is nothing in the face of an even million, though.

I mean, uh, that man card. What a bag of dicks, yessir.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Do people really talk about 'man cards' in real life? I've never heard the expression before. I've read it once or twice but that's it. Is "your man card is revoked" the new "that's so gay"?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

US Only. I am not American enough to be a MAN.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nubile Hillock posted:

Her perspective on it now. The biggest pissoff is that for years she went on and on about not having money and the virtues of true friendshipTM and love for her fellow artists. This woman wrote pages and pages on the artness of art and guaranteed, for years, that all her money would go into making bigger, better art. Apparently artistic integrity is nothing in the face of an even million, though.

I mean, uh, that man card. What a bag of dicks, yessir.

Can I ask what you think she did with that Kickstarter money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure she means well but just doesn't understand how this kickstarter thing works.