Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is it really necessary to have more than two levels of granularity? Why not just have a second bar of the same size pop out of the side when it's activated, like a fine tuning knob on a radio. It doesn't look like any of those values have significant enough precision to justify such complicated input methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

duck pond posted:

I have been thinking about doing something 'sticky' - perhaps a curvy spliney thing that extends out from the slider.

Currently I simply scale the slider's value with the touch's x position, but perhaps this approach would work better with x squared. (I tried this already, it didn't 'feel' right, but maybe it will with a visual indicator of some kind).

(Quick PS mockup)

Tbh this would probably make more sense on a dial than a slider.

Shouldn't be much of a hit on performance as I'm just drawing everything with Core Graphics.

I really like the look of this if it means anything. If you can make input look pretty and represent a lot of options at the same time in minimal space and text, then honestly you've done a pretty good job.

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?
For the last week or so, I've been playing around with cellular automata, inspired mostly by http://jeremykun.com/2012/07/29/the-cellular-automaton-method-for-cave-generation/ I had a stupid idea for a territory control game where you'd play on one of these kinds of things, and try to do. . .something. The game design aspect's still completely nebulous, but so far it's kind of pretty.

Here's the full album, pretty much from when I started on Tuesday. As an aside, it's crazy how much I'm loving HSB for color picking. http://imgur.com/a/Mhlqo

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

Jewel posted:

I really like the look of this if it means anything. If you can make input look pretty and represent a lot of options at the same time in minimal space and text, then honestly you've done a pretty good job.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! Hopefully I can release it soon...

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Because of the absolutely shithouse array handling in BASIC and lack of pointers, I had resigned that A* pathfinding would be impossible in Black Annex.

Well, after four days spent working on it (also vomiting a lot from some kind of food poisoning from eating lovely yogurt) I made it happen.

The doors are path nodes. I can path the entire map at 60fps constantly with no slowdown. The old pathfinding was dropping a couple of frames per run.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

duck pond posted:

I have been thinking about doing something 'sticky' - perhaps a curvy spliney thing that extends out from the slider.

Currently I simply scale the slider's value with the touch's x position, but perhaps this approach would work better with x squared. (I tried this already, it didn't 'feel' right, but maybe it will with a visual indicator of some kind).

(Quick PS mockup)

Tbh this would probably make more sense on a dial than a slider.

Shouldn't be much of a hit on performance as I'm just drawing everything with Core Graphics.

I'd make the line coming off the control start out very thick, then get stretched thin as you pull it away, to indicate the change in precision.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'd make the line coming off the control start out very thick, then get stretched thin as you pull it away, to indicate the change in precision.

I think that'd be the best way to go about it, and from the mock up it seems like it'd flow pretty well.

The design is really nice as well if thats going to be your goal, it'd be refreshing to see a mobile synth that is just a neat, flat design, but not to the point of unlabeled rubbish that expects you to already know what you're doing, or the over designed stuff that looks like the actual hardware, looks pretty, but doesn't make interaction obvious past a knob thats rotated that has a slightly darker line to indicate where its value is set.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Nice idea!
I'd quite like it to snap back into place, too, like a rubber band. This is probably beyond my abilities though.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I've been working on the real map for my Metroid-like. It's nice to finally get to the level design portion of a project (although there is still a LOT that needs to be coded). Here's a screenshot of a new area / tileset I like:

Player sprite shape is a placeholder still. The shading is probably close to final.

For comparison, here's the same spot with shaders disabled:

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 21, 2013

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Neat, how are you doing the rounded edges in the shader?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

There's probably a better way, but for every pixel with an alpha of 0, I check each adjacent pixel and average the values to get an outline color. Then I do change it to HSV, do some color manipulation, and spit it back out as RGB. This is done on the foreground layer so that parallaxing backgrounds don't affect it. After that I do my shading pass so that the outlines aren't a flat color. The shading pass basically just tweaks the HSV of any pixel that's within X pixels of a border vertically or horizontally. I check it the same way as the outline, except I check X pixels outward instead of 1, where X is my border size for that direction. It all works on XNA's Reach profile so I'm pretty stoked. Last is the CRT filter, which also scales the image to 3x. My internal resolution is 416x240, which was the closest I could get to 16:9 with 16x16 tiles. It scales up to 1248x720, so I can just put some small bars on the side to make it 1280x720.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 22, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

DeathBySpoon posted:

There's probably a better way, but for every pixel with an alpha of 0, I check each adjacent pixel and average the values to get an outline color. Then I do change it to HSV, do some color manipulation, and spit it back out as RGB. This is done on the foreground layer so that parallaxing backgrounds don't affect it. After that I do my shading pass so that the outlines aren't a flat color. The shading pass basically just tweaks the HSV of any pixel that's within X pixels of a border vertically or horizontally. I check it the same way as the outline, except I check X pixels outward instead of 1, where X is my border size for that direction. It all works on XNA's Reach profile so I'm pretty stoked. Last is the CRT filter, which also scales the image to 3x. My internal resolution is 416x240, which was the closest I could get to 16:9 with 16x16 tiles. It scales up to 1248x720, so I can just put some small bars on the side to make it 1280x720.
You're doing that with PS2.0? Static branching only? Wow, that's pretty slick. Figured you had to at least be doing PS3.0 dynamic branches.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Yup, it works pretty well. For what it's worth, I'm doing it in 3 passes with 3 different shaders, so that's kind of cheating, but still. I haven't had any performance issues on any computers made in the last 5 years or so, so I'm ok with that. They can always be turned off, too.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mug posted:

Because of the absolutely shithouse array handling in BASIC and lack of pointers, I had resigned that A* pathfinding would be impossible in Black Annex.

Well, after four days spent working on it (also vomiting a lot from some kind of food poisoning from eating lovely yogurt) I made it happen.

The doors are path nodes. I can path the entire map at 60fps constantly with no slowdown. The old pathfinding was dropping a couple of frames per run.

Oh wow the guy writing Black Annex is a goon?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

Mugs IS the guy writing Black Annex :ssh:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

Haha posts like this really make me laugh. Black Annex has been at home on Somethingawful since the start.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey guys, great work all around wish I could make stuff like that at home instead of being a lazy gently caress.
Just wondering, are you guys also programming during your day job? This is my case and I think it is somewhat what is preventing me to really work on this stuff at home, since you know I've been doing it all day at work and when I get home I wanna do something else.

I'm gonna try to fiddle a bit with Unity anyway it seemed a great tool.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mug posted:

Haha posts like this really make me laugh. Black Annex has been at home on Somethingawful since the start.

Shows how little I've been paying attention to gaming since I read about it from TheVerge or Ars or whatever site instead.

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Le0 posted:

Just wondering, are you guys also programming during your day job? This is my case and I think it is somewhat what is preventing me to really work on this stuff at home, since you know I've been doing it all day at work and when I get home I wanna do something else.

I do code during my day job as well and it does get hard to start after cooking, putting the kids to bed, dealing with the missus, etc. Usually I start up Planetside 2 or EVE.

The hardest is actually starting. Once I'm really into a project I can't wait to continue on it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Strong Sauce posted:

Shows how little I've been paying attention to gaming since I read about it from TheVerge or Ars or whatever site instead.

I had the opposite reaction a week or two ago because I don't follow gaming news. I was like, "whoa Black Annex is a big deal."

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

aerique posted:

I do code during my day job as well and it does get hard to start after cooking, putting the kids to bed, dealing with the missus, etc. Usually I start up Planetside 2 or EVE.

The hardest is actually starting. Once I'm really into a project I can't wait to continue on it.

This is why I usually end up writing games in python, even though it's not the best choice for a number of reasons. I just love the language, and after dealing with c# all day, it feels like fun instead of work.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

aerique posted:

Wow- Thats what I do,
Work all day in IT development,
Go home, have tea,
Play PS2, Eve, LOL and Minecraft FTB.
goto bed waaaay to late,
Repeat until weekend.

BTW
Eve - Dureena Nafee1
Planetside 2 - Dureena Nafeel (VS - Matheson Server)

I also amtrying to write a couple or 10 games which are on github and Sourceforge atm but need restarting or at least working on.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

TheresaJayne posted:

Wow- Thats what I do,
Work all day in IT development,
Go home, have tea,
Play PS2, Eve, LOL and Minecraft FTB.
goto bed waaaay to late,
Repeat until weekend.

BTW
Eve - Dureena Nafee1

I also amtrying to write a couple or 10 games which are on github and Sourceforge atm but need restarting or at least working on.

I want to come home to write videogames but after 8 hours writing directX at work I really cannot be hosed anymore :smith:

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

SlightlyMadman posted:

This is why I usually end up writing games in python, even though it's not the best choice for a number of reasons. I just love the language, and after dealing with c# all day, it feels like fun instead of work.

Common Lisp is my weapon of choice, although I would settle for Clojure or Scheme if there was a solid cross-platform solution targetting iOS, Android, PC, etc. I'm currently using haXe... I tried Unity but it is not my thing, I'm too much of a open source hippy.

TheresaJayne posted:

BTW
Eve - Dureena Nafee1

I am in the EU timezone and on the Miller server.

EVE-wise, I only resubscribed last week and am not quite sure what I'm going to do. My posting history is obviously not good enough for GF. I've been eyeing the Black Rebel Rifter Club... seems like a fun bunch. Anyway, my main is "Psilocybe Cubensis".

Dred_furst posted:

I want to come home to write videogames but after 8 hours writing directX at work I really cannot be hosed anymore :smith:

Like SlightlyMadman wrote: try using another technology. Pygame, Unity, Löve, heck even Gamemaker is an option.

aerique fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 22, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

aerique posted:

Dred_furst posted:

Like SlightlyMadman wrote: try using another technology. Pygame, Unity, Löve, heck even Gamemaker is an option.

Or OpenGL :D

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

I write objective c all day at work and objective c all night at home :bang:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I write PHP all day at work and BASIC all night.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I write C# all day and C# at night. I use Visual Studio 2012 with ReSharper all day, and Visual Studio 2010 with ReSharper at night. Life is good.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mug posted:

You win. Anyway it's moot guys, if you don't want to write a game because x reason, that's fine, but if you decide 'I work all day' is a reason not to get started, the game probably wasn't high up on your priority list to begin with.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Mug posted:

It all makes sense now.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Mug posted:

PHP: The language that makes BASIC look like a good idea. :golfclap:

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Orzo posted:

I write C# all day and C# at night. I use Visual Studio 2012 with ReSharper all day, and Visual Studio 2010 with ReSharper at night. Life is good.

This is literally one of the reasons I don't like coding at home. (The lack of resharper)

Apart from that I've been meaning to do some poo poo with sharpdx, or I might just pick up an engine.

Dred_furst fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 24, 2013

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

I set up the arbitrary-precision dial like I was talking about.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

duck pond posted:

I set up the arbitrary-precision dial like I was talking about.

I think it would actually make more sense to have the fine control close to the dial and the large steps further away. I think most of the time you're going to be making small changes often and vast changes rarely.

edit: Although it's hard to translate to the physical model but still having to move half a screen away from the dial to make fine steps is going to be a hassle, plus it makes it easy to wildly mess up your settings by accidentally moving the dial slightly.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Dred_furst posted:

This is literally one of the reasons I don't like coding at home. (The lack of resharper)

Apart from that I've been meaning to do some poo poo with sharpdx, or I might just pick up an engine.
Why don't you just buy ReSharper? It's not that expensive.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

Volte posted:

I think it would actually make more sense to have the fine control close to the dial and the large steps further away. I think most of the time you're going to be making small changes often and vast changes rarely.

edit: Although it's hard to translate to the physical model but still having to move half a screen away from the dial to make fine steps is going to be a hassle, plus it makes it easy to wildly mess up your settings by accidentally moving the dial slightly.

Hrm, this gives me something to think about. The dial does require quite deliberate motion - a touch has to begin inside the dial's circular wheel and move out in order to change anything (this means I can also use the same dial class as a tap tempo control).

And it's not very apparent with a cursor - but the decreased precision near the dial actually roughly corresponds with the impreciseness of your finger on a touchscreen (still tweaking this to make it feel right, though).

I find that you tend to be more accurate with relative position than absolute position on a touchscreen - i.e. it's difficult to land your finger on a given point accurately, but once you're moving it's easy to be as precise as you want. The initial touch down onto and exiting from the dial is a matter of absolute positioning, while adjusting the dial once you're out is a matter of relative positioning, so I think it makes sense to decrease the accuracy for the former part of the gesture and increase it for the latter.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'd like to voice my opinion that dials are a terrible interface for a mouse / touch screen. The best they come are the ones that are really just invisible-vertical-sliders (i.e., they go up and down with vertical touch movement and nothing else). But I cringe when I see you moving in a C-shape just to start the dial turning.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

You're probably right, and I'm probably thinking about this a bit much instead of actually doing the work I should be.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
I'll add something else on your design as well, this is more my personal perspective more than anything, but the ability to be able to double tap on a controller and input a value specifically would be great.

Though it sort of undermines the whole purpose of your distance precision design, I've lost count of the times where I wish I could just put in the value I want, instead of fooling around hoping I get close, especially on decimal values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

lord funk posted:

I'd like to voice my opinion that dials are a terrible interface for a mouse / touch screen. The best they come are the ones that are really just invisible-vertical-sliders (i.e., they go up and down with vertical touch movement and nothing else). But I cringe when I see you moving in a C-shape just to start the dial turning.

Seconding this. Dials are always a little weird in software. They just don't translate over very well.