Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

V-Men posted:

Basically, if you're a pure white Christian, you should be eating non-Halal meat because Muslims east Halal meat.

And if you're Pamela Geller you should get a boot to the face for being a crypt-fascist piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've had gun folk on facebook tell me they need concealed carry because what if a robber sees their gun and shoots them first.

I've never understood that since most every 'you need a gun to defend yourself' mantra requires you to get the drop on your robber or attacker anyway.

Plays into the "internet libertarian" line of thought that they're so much better than the average person, they'd be able to notice a robber using certain cues and then they'd be able to quick-draw and blast them with accurate shots, all because personal property is more important than life. Also, they may or may not end up like George Zimmerman who was able to conduct what some people fantasize about.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Plays into the "internet libertarian" line of thought that they're so much better than the average person, they'd be able to notice a robber using certain cues and then they'd be able to quick-draw and blast them with accurate shots, all because personal property is more important than life. Also, they may or may not end up like George Zimmerman who was able to conduct what some people fantasize about.

Not to get all gunchat but a friend of mine who is in the Austrlian armed forces pointed out something to me I'd never realised and that TV and movies always loves to ignore - accuracy is basically just a function of how long a barrel is. So all those tiny concealable snub-nosed guns are just as likely to shoot a victim as a potential criminal from any kind of distance at all, let alone if fired without taking time to sight the gun up at your eye level.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

VideoTapir posted:

I just spent entirely too much time putting together a spreadsheet timeline based on the Wikipedia articles about US wars and the Indian Wars (which mostly aren't included on that list).

http://sdrv.ms/16asNb8

There have been 9 years in US history without any significant military engagement, foreign or domestic. 2 of them were under Carter. The rest were before the Civil War.

Man that's amazing. It's good to know that I was at least partially correct about Carter.

What was the engagement in China from 1911 to entering World War 2?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I almost guarantee that more people than you think disapprove of D&D for religious reasons. Among the ones who actually know what D&D is instead of taking Pastor Bob's word for it, they claim that even though you're not actually casting spells, you're still doing so in the game through your character. That's bad because the Old Testament calls sorcery a capital offense and it's bad taste to even pretend to do it.

Absolutely, I have met people who disapprove of D&D for religious reasons, though they are sort of fuzzy on what exactly D&D is. They know it's a game, though, and know that no real spells are being cast.

I see a pretty big world of difference between people who disapprove of what they see as blasphemous make-believe and people who think teenagers are literally summoning demons and casting mind control hexes.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Sardine Wit posted:

Not to get all gunchat but a friend of mine who is in the Austrlian armed forces pointed out something to me I'd never realised and that TV and movies always loves to ignore - accuracy is basically just a function of how long a barrel is. So all those tiny concealable snub-nosed guns are just as likely to shoot a victim as a potential criminal from any kind of distance at all, let alone if fired without taking time to sight the gun up at your eye level.

That and people ignore that even in the armed forces, soldiers panic. When you see cops firing 20 bullets or more at a single person, it's because they're in a panic situation. Sometimes they'll counter with "well I go to the range every day and cops go once a year!" but it still doesn't change that you have to basically deconstruct a person in order to limit the impact of fight-or-flight instinct in people. Your ability to finely control your arms and hands goes to poo poo and that's not even including other stuff like tunnel vision that is going to further hamper your ability to defend yourself with a gun.

I mean I am ambivalent toward guns because there are more pressing issues in society but, anyway, the line of thought that is so commonly espoused that if people had guns they'd be able to defend themselves is pulled straight out of fictional events on TV shows and movies. Anyway, no more gunchat. Eagerly awaiting the next round of Woolwich-related stuff from relatives :ohdear:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

YF-23 posted:

Man that's amazing. It's good to know that I was at least partially correct about Carter.

What was the engagement in China from 1911 to entering World War 2?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations

I didn't feel like breaking that whole time period down. It was a bunch of little things relating to imperial interests and sucking up to the KMT.

I just figured making that was the easiest way to count the years by different measures. It also has a lot more impact to do it that way than to see a chronological list, because the sheer number of conflicts big and small comes across better. And that's even while leaving things like a huge block of US involvement in China, and WWI and WWII consolidated.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 23, 2013

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
CT is passing legislation to allow "illegals" to get drivers licenses, and hoooo boy is my facebook feed blowing up today. People are going insane over it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

XyloJW posted:

The argument was that slaves weren't actually unhappy as slaves--all they needed was some shade and a nice treat. Watermelons became the symbol of the benevolent white farmer giving a delicious treat to his slaves, and how much they enjoyed them.

Yo, this is from a few pages ago, but I just thought I'd give a little more context for anyone who is interested. The stereotype is also a reference to slaves stealing from their owners. There a phrase called "silent sabotage" in the history of slavery, where slaves would fight the social structure in subtle ways, like stealing food and performing intentionally shoddy work. The stereotype of blacks stealing and being lazy is still alive today.

The watermelon thing actually grew bigger after slavery was abolished. After the turn of the century, Jim Crow laws were still in effect and civil rights efforts were starting to form. There was a backlash against this from racist whites. KKK membership skyrocketed. Suddenly, tons of postcards and other art featuring watermelon imagery started showing up. The imagery was pretty malicious, it was an attempt to dehumanize blacks and essentially make them look less evolved. People in this thread had the response, "everybody likes fried chicken and watermelon", but it wasn't about them liking those foods, it was about those foods being the peak of their ambitions in life.

There's some more about common themes in the artwork and what it represented here: http://www.authentichistory.com/diversity/african/3-coon/5-chickwatermelon/index.html

It all comes full circle and ends up at the purpose of this thread. If you were alive 100 years ago, your uncle-in-law would be sending you these postcards instead of chain emails. They were the historic equivalent of today's Obama photoshops; viral communication meant to ridicule the notion of black people being worthy of a higher social status.

Edit: I wonder if people back then used the "I'm not racist, I just thought it was funny" defense.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 23, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

little munchkin posted:

Yo, this is from a few pages ago, but I just thought I'd give a little more context for anyone who is interested. The stereotype is also a reference to slaves stealing from their owners. There a phrase called "silent sabotage" in the history of slavery, where slaves would fight the social structure in subtle ways, like stealing food and performing intentionally shoddy work. The stereotype of blacks stealing and being lazy is still alive today.

The watermelon thing actually grew bigger after slavery was abolished. After the turn of the century, Jim Crow laws were still in effect and civil rights efforts were starting to form. There was a backlash against this from racist whites. KKK membership skyrocketed. Suddenly, tons of postcards and other art featuring watermelon imagery started showing up. The imagery was pretty malicious, it was an attempt to dehumanize blacks and essentially make them look less evolved. People in this thread had the response, "everybody likes fried chicken and watermelon", but it wasn't about them liking those foods, it was about those foods being the peak of their ambitions in life.

There's some more about common themes in the artwork and what it represented here: http://www.authentichistory.com/diversity/african/3-coon/5-chickwatermelon/index.html

It all comes full circle and ends up at the purpose of this thread. If you were alive 100 years ago, your uncle-in-law would be sending you these postcards instead of chain emails. They were the historic equivalent of today's Obama photoshops; viral communication meant to ridicule the notion of black people being worthy of a higher social status.

Edit: I wonder if people back then used the "I'm not racist, I just thought it was funny" defense.

This is also why Europeans and especially Australians for some reason are just completely unaware that blackface and fried chicken and watermelon jokes are offensive to americans. They have no historical context for it so to them it really is "wait, doesn't everyone love chicken and watermelon?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No in the modern global age everyone knows blackface is bad and what major stereotypes there are. People like to play coy though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No in the modern global age everyone knows blackface is bad and what major stereotypes there are. People like to play coy though.

Blackface and chicken/watermelon are distinctly American tropes, and not everyone pays attention to the historical context or cultural tropes of other countries. There's plenty of poo poo I bet is offensive in Australia or France or Japan based on hundreds of years of historical context that I don't know about, and the same is true in reverse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

Blackface and chicken/watermelon are distinctly American tropes, and not everyone pays attention to the historical context or cultural tropes of other countries. There's plenty of poo poo I bet is offensive in Australia or France or Japan based on hundreds of years of historical context that I don't know about, and the same is true in reverse.

Yeah if I called someone a kefir in America they'd have no idea what I was on about. The US has a pretty unique situation w/r/t racial relations, really I'd say only South Africa has a similar history. SA had actual apartheid while the US just had/has de facto apartheid. I'm pretty agnostic on things like Sinterklaas because those countries don't have a 400 year history of systematic oppression of African descended peoples. I don't think it's great, but history and context matter and I don't necessarily think that such portrayals are as explosive because they aren't weighted by years and years of the most horrible and excreable kind of oppression that exists in the US and South Africa.

I'm strictly referring to people of African descent, I'm sure all countries have some minority group that they've horribly kept down in their histories.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If there's any european goons here, in the UK or wherever, what ARE some stereotypes unique to your country about non...whites? I guess? Anyone not considered "native". I'm morbidly curious now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

If there's any european goons here, in the UK, what ARE some stereotypes unique to your country about non...whites? I guess? Anyone not considered "native". I'm morbidly curious now.

I know that GB has problems with racism against Polish and Turkish immigrants, and it's the same in Germany for Turks. The stereotypes are the same as everywhere: stupid, lazy, criminal, refuse to assimilate etc.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

This is also why Europeans and especially Australians for some reason are just completely unaware that blackface and fried chicken and watermelon jokes are offensive to americans. They have no historical context for it so to them it really is "wait, doesn't everyone love chicken and watermelon?"

Nobody in the US does either. I understand the original intent behind blackface, but I had no idea of the context behind watermelon until I looked it up just now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had no idea about the history of blackface until I took a race and film class in college and we watched Bamboozled (which owns).

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Blackface is well known as offensive in the UK, at least nowadays. Right up to the late 70s we had The Black and White Minstrel Show being one of the most popular programmes on the BBC (I remember watching it as a kid), but it slowly got more and more criticism as the offensiveness of the stereotype became better known. Thanks to the saturation of US culture, the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype is also fairly well known as offensive, though probably not many could say why.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Sardine Wit posted:

http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012/05/man-arrested-in-family-dollar-slaying/

quote:

The customer, who has a concealed handgun license, pulled his weapon and exchanged gunfire with the men.

Officers told KTRK that the bullet fired from a customer’s gun killed the store clerk.
Whoops!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

One of the most aggravating things about gun advocates is the idiotic way they promote guns as a way to stop store robberies. No one should be putting tons of people as risk to stop some stupid junk or $1000 from being stolen. It's incredibly irresponsible and dangerous to give these guys that wish they were action heroes the idea that they can save the day when they are just making a tense situation that much more dangerous for everyone involved. The worst is when they chase after the criminals who have already gotten the goods and have left the scene since that does nothing to prevent any kind of injury and is solely wild west styled revenge justice. It's absolutely infuriating.

I have no idea how to get that stupid idea out of the public consciousness when it's pushed so hard as a benefit to guns.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

One of the most aggravating things about gun advocates is the idiotic way they promote guns as a way to stop store robberies. No one should be putting tons of people as risk to stop some stupid junk or $1000 from being stolen. It's incredibly irresponsible and dangerous to give these guys that wish they were action heroes the idea that they can save the day when they are just making a tense situation that much more dangerous for everyone involved. The worst is when they chase after the criminals who have already gotten the goods and have left the scene since that does nothing to prevent any kind of injury and is solely wild west styled revenge justice. It's absolutely infuriating.

I have no idea how to get that stupid idea out of the public consciousness when it's pushed so hard as a benefit to guns.

Because in a public setting if a robbery were going to happen, every gun owner instantly turns into Rambo/Dirty Harry/(insert action star here) saves the day, gets the girl, town throws a parade in their honor, key to the city. In other words delusion. I just realized I was reinforcing what you said, but there is honestly no way to get it out of the social conciousness anymore

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

On the other hand, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i98FkbLwd9Q

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The real issue here is that this Dirty Harry wannabe gets to walk on this. I'm somewhat fine with the charging the robber since he did a bit to set the situation up, but the gun bunny should take a felony rap too for being a moron and escalating things.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Oh dear god, the comments. :stonk:

Yes, I know I should never read them.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Oh dear god, the comments. :stonk:

Yes, I know I should never read them.

I don't know why but someone brought Obama into it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ugh, a relative is on FB again:

quote:

I-95 and I-75 will be jammed for the next month or so with druggies and deadbeats heading North out of Florida , because this is the first state in the union to require drug testing to receive welfare!

Hooray for Florida ! In signing the new law, Republican Gov. Rick Scott said, "If Floridians want welfare, they better make sure they are drug-free."

Applicants must pay for the drug test, but are reimbursed if they test drug-free. Applicants who test positive for illicit substances, won't be eligible for the funds for a year, or until they undergo treatment. Those who fail a second time will be banned from receiving funds for three years!

Naturally, a few people are crying this is unconstitutional.
How is this unconstitutional? It's a legal requirement that every person applying for a job has to pass drug tests in order to get the job, why not those who receive welfare?

Forward this if you agree!
Let's get welfare back to the ones who need it, not to those who won't get a job.
I AGREE, DO YOU?

This poo poo is old news, and its already been shown that the program costs the state money, and doesn't save any.

Also, I wasn't aware that there was a law that had anything to do with drug testing for jobs. Probably because it isn't.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Doctor Butts posted:

Ugh, a relative is on FB again:

This poo poo is old news, and its already been shown that the program costs the state money, and doesn't save any.

Also, I wasn't aware that there was a law that had anything to do with drug testing for jobs. Probably because it isn't.

You should just reply with this: http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/community-related/florida-welfare-applicants-less-likely-than-general-population-to-use-drugs

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

Instead of saying "everyone should have to take a drug test, I do!" they should be saying "nobody* should have to take a drug test, drug tests are bullshit". It's the same thing as people against unions. "Hey, that dick shouldn't make a living wage, I don't! Down with unions!" instead of "Hey, maybe if we all had unions we'd all get a living wage!"

Crab mentality.

*certainly not to stock shelves at Walmart or work at burger king, at least.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Radish posted:

I mean yeah there are definitely those types out there, but most people conceal carry to protect themselves from deady physical force and not because they want to stop robberies or play at being Rambo. Which is why concealed carry licensees hardly ever commit crimes. But maybe that doesn't fit your stereotype.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Do you do any posts in this thread not jumping up to go 'uh actually guns are cool' or what?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Interlude posted:

I mean yeah there are definitely those types out there, but most people conceal carry to protect themselves from deady physical force and not because they want to stop robberies or play at being Rambo. Which is why concealed carry licensees hardly ever commit crimes. But maybe that doesn't fit your stereotype.

:ssh: If you reread Radish's post, you may notice that he doesn't say that most CCW people do it to act out Rambo fantasies. He just says it's annoying when advocates push CCW under that banner. :ssh:

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

Interlude posted:

Expected TFR in your post history; wasn't disappointed.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Nice Davis posted:

:ssh: If you reread Radish's post, you may notice that he doesn't say that most CCW people do it to act out Rambo fantasies. He just says it's annoying when advocates push CCW under that banner. :ssh:
Is that a real thing, though? Beyond the fringe people who think guns solve every problem.

vvv That's freeper poo poo.

Interlude fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 24, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Interlude posted:

Is that a real thing, though? Beyond the fringe people who think guns solve every problem.

Yes there are lots of gun advocates who do the "NOBLE HERO SHOOTS A DUDE IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD DURING A ROBBERY, DON'T YOU WISH WE HAD MORE OF THOSE" things.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Interlude posted:

Considering that those fringe people are the ones driving the gun law narrative in this country...yes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Interlude posted:

Don't remember the hero old man in Florida who wildly shot at and chased two black teens out of an internet arcade they were trying to rob? Thank god he had his gun or else those negro boys would have killed everybody with their baseball bat and non-functioning gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrgvqlc8DA

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 24, 2013

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Ever read Snow Crash? In it the protagonist, Hiro, has to pull a gun on some guys who try to mug him, and eventually has to fire a warning shot at them because they're not afraid of his gun. So, instead he leaves the gun in his glove compartment for emergencies, and wears a sword on his hip because it's a more obvious and threatening weapon and therefore more likely to prevent a fight in the first place.

What I'm saying, is that a weapon meant for deterrent purposes should be as obvious and threatening as possible, yes?If you assume that carrying a weapon will act as a criminal deterrent, of course.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah if I called someone a kefir in America they'd have no idea what I was on about. The US has a pretty unique situation w/r/t racial relations, really I'd say only South Africa has a similar history. SA had actual apartheid while the US just had/has de facto apartheid. I'm pretty agnostic on things like Sinterklaas because those countries don't have a 400 year history of systematic oppression of African descended peoples. I don't think it's great, but history and context matter and I don't necessarily think that such portrayals are as explosive because they aren't weighted by years and years of the most horrible and excreable kind of oppression that exists in the US and South Africa.

I'm strictly referring to people of African descent, I'm sure all countries have some minority group that they've horribly kept down in their histories.

White South Africans will also just drop the n-word in casual conversation to refer to each other because to them it's just a silly foreign word they see in movies or hear in music. Even though they know it's bad, they don't realize it's really really bad, like k-word bad. I had a few seconds of :stare: when my white Capetonian friend asked me "are you ready, my n-----?"

I wouldn't expect foreigners to automatically know America's lesser-known stereotypes.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

zoux posted:

Curious if it is just a regional thing, but if you called me a kefir, I'd take it as you calling me a yogurt drink. I learned it as kaffir from reading "The Power of One" which took place in ~WW2 South Africa. Is this just a different use in different countries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Interlude posted:

vvv That's freeper poo poo.

I'm not saying all CCW people are like that at all. In cases like with the Giffords shooting CCW people are able to correctly gauge the situation and not make the situation worse by firing wildly or even using their gun so it's not simply a CCW is equal to crazy psychopath. However there are people that think that self defense is equal to theft and that is the type of person that infuriates me; they make situations worse by trying to be a Wild West hero that stops robbers or thieves since justice must be met out or end up killing people that are no longer threatening innocent victims. There is also a subset of the media that encourages that behavior by lauding the guys that by sheer luck didn't kill anyone when they pull a gun in a tense robbery and start shooting.