Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Do you have a OBD unit you can plug in to monitor the fuel pressure? My dad has one of those cheapie wifi ones that he can use with his iPhone/iPad (of course it requires a $50 app) the Bluetooth ones for Android have awesome free apps.
Edit: it also shows timing as well. I wonder if your knock sensor is retarding the timing. My MS6 used to be boosting what felt low, once I installed some denso ITV22 plugs (one step colder) it boosts crazy smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
mazdaspeedforums may be a good place to ask this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, googling seems to have people thinking sensor issues of some sort - at least two guys just had loose / poor connections to the fuel sender at the end of the rail. I've got a Bluetooth scanner and an Android phone, I just didn't have the high pressure PID being monitored (just the basic coolant, RPM, and boost...not logged, either, just checking tattletales on Torque's gauges).

SiB
May 6, 2005
Ya definitely check your fuel pressure. Could be your air/fuel ratio sensor also (#1 o2 sensor)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hmmm. I seem to have failed at making Torque log actual data for anything other than GPS so far. I did get it to export a graph:

The only WOT or near-WOT running I did was there in the middle around 1:40.

I did get it to actually 'miss' a bit harder later on but I didn't manage to get any logs whatsoever of what happened. I'm going to have to sort out logging and then do some pulls.

It runs perfectly as long as you don't get your foot too far into it - some boost is fine, RPMs at partial throttle are fine, it's just when you actually flog it that it doesn't want to get up and go so well.

Edit: Finally figured out how to log non-GPS data in Torque.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 25, 2013

SiB
May 6, 2005
This speed 3 has the new Mazda Disco mode! Check it out! (Only below 15km/h)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XutWqm6BzKI

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Edit: Finally figured out how to log non-GPS data in Torque.

Need to play with it some more. I probably was trying to log too much at once because I didn't get enough datapoints, but in a pull where it stuttered mid-pull the fuel pressure didn't show any sags, nor anything unusual out of the MAF airflow. Only possibly unusual point was it showed a peak boost of 17.5 PSI - isn't that too high?

Also, finally got a gauge hooked up to the A/C low-side (didn't touch the high-side yet). Pressure shown, with the compressor running? 65PSI :stare:

Just to double-check the gauge, I threw it on my Ranger which I knew was a bit on the low side and got 40PSI (given that it was 95 degrees out, 45-50 would have been more like it). If I'm seriously looking at, say, an A/C compressor on top of the driver's side CV, I may start getting some serious spousal pressure to replace the car sooner than later.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Anyone upgraded the sway bars? I'm considering Cobb's but want to know if they're worth the money (in general and Cobb..)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So with some things tweaked to get a bit better resolution... I don't see anything unusual:

Left scale covers RPM (grey) and fuel rail pressure (blue, in PSI). Right scale covers boost/vac (in PSI) and MAF airflow (in G/sec). The fuel stays pretty neatly at a bit over 1600PSI. Boost starts at 16PSI, drops to 14PSI not long after 4000RPM, and tapers again starting at 5500RPM down to 9.5PSI at 6000RPM. The only one with any sort of notable dip is the MAF airflow around 4000-4200 when it stuttered a bit.

Thoughts on specific ones I should log from here?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

Told me it was out of stock.

I can ask at work if you want

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Welp. Traded it in tonight on a Honda CR-V. I liked the CX-5 but to get one with the rear view camera meant a significant price increase over the Honda.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little bummed driving away from it at the dealership, but after almost exactly 100k we had our fun with it and the small size is really apparent when trying to go further than down the street with the kid.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Welp. Traded it in tonight on a Honda CR-V. I liked the CX-5 but to get one with the rear view camera meant a significant price increase over the Honda.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't a little bummed driving away from it at the dealership, but after almost exactly 100k we had our fun with it and the small size is really apparent when trying to go further than down the street with the kid.

So who is gonna be the new AI mod? :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BETRAYER!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm having Lowtax rename the forum "Vehicular Sensibility".

In all seriousness I am going to miss that car a lot. It may have pissed me off every time I had to work on it but it made me happy nearly every time I drove it.

Now I just need to take stock of the spares I have on hand (rear brakes and oil filters, mainly) and see if I can get some money out of them.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

So I took my 08.5 MS3 to the dealer for a final once over before my powertrain warranty expires. I had noticed the underside of the engine was a little wet when I did my brakes last week, around the belts, and also between the engine and transmission. They found a leaking front timing cover, and oil pan gasket. Parts on the way for the repair under warranty, though no loaner and I have to leave it for two days. Still, glad I'm getting that taken care of on their dime while I can.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone have their AC compressor go out? This is gonna be a pricy job isn't it? :(

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I helped my aunt and cousin do some car shopping this weekend!
Hopefully this will offset the sadness of IOwnCalculus trading in the mazdaspeed3.

My aunt ended up with a CX-5 Touring

My cousin ended up getting a white 2012 Mazda3 touring, but I don't have any pictures of it just yet.
The paperwork signing ended after it was really dark and the dealership kept the car so they could tint the windows on the Mazda3.

I have no idea how this all got pulled off. I thought they were going to end up in a new CRV and Civic because of price.
It all worked out though.
This means that there are now 6 mazdas in the family.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

air- posted:

Anyone have their AC compressor go out? This is gonna be a pricy job isn't it? :(

That is half of the reason that pushed me to trade in the MS3 - high low-side pressures are a good sign the compressor isn't doing its job. And yeah, it's spendy - cheapest new/reman I saw was in the range of $400. A bit ridiculous, I was able to get a brand new Sanden for my GMC for a bit over a quarter of that. Then I'd still need to actually have the system evacuated (assuming I didn't just vent it to air), replace the damned thing, replace the receiver/dryer, possibly replace some other seals just because, and have the system flushed / vacuumed / charged.

I really liked the CX-5 but I just couldn't see $3k of value in it over the CRV. The 2.5L Skyactiv gets rid of the "OMG UNDERPOWERED" critique that the 2.0L got, but it also eliminated nearly all of the mileage advantage over the CRV.

Also, I never did drive a 2.0L CX-5, but for gently caress's sake it has a better power/weight ratio than my pinto-powered Ranger; it can't be any worse than that.

Maybe I'll go insane and replace the Ranger with a rotary.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe I'll go insane and replace the Ranger with a rotary.

Get an FD :devil:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franco Caution posted:

I have no idea how this all got pulled off. I thought they were going to end up in a new CRV and Civic because of price.
It all worked out though.
This means that there are now 6 mazdas in the family.

So, would that make you the protege of a Mazda familia? :haw:

How it worked in my family is:
I got a Mazda3 sedan
I liked it so much, my brother and his wife got a Mazda3 hatch
They liked it so much, my brother traded in his DSM and got a Mazdaspeed 3
He liked it so much, when my car got smunched I bought a Mazdaspeed 3

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I know crap picture. Mine to the left, and a cosmic blue I always see to the right. There's a black one a few blocks over too. Someday all three of us will end up together.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Aw yesss my AC compressor is ok, for now :smugdog:

I do need new spark plugs and I'm still running stock boost, so that means replace them with stock heat range, right? Looking at the NGK ILTR6A-8G. Anyone know a (reputable) vendor who sells these besides Amazon or Edge? Otherwise default is Amazon since I do have prime.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

What's your reason for those specific plugs? Most things I've found on streetunit.com have been priced well plus they're some of the most knowledgable on all things mazdaspeed. I replaced my plugs with the Denso ITV22's. Boost has felt so much better ever since I swapped the original motorcraft, the Denso are one step colder.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Do any of you hatch owners have a dog barrier installed?
I like the look of this one, but the shipping is more than the product. :(
http://www.amazon.com/TRAVALL-TDG1241-GUARD-BARRIER-2004-2009/dp/B0040QALJA

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'd just buy a harness and clip it into the hatch.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

air- posted:

Aw yesss my AC compressor is ok, for now :smugdog:

Otherwise default is Amazon since I do have prime.

My NGKs came in fine from Amazon yesterday.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Laranzu posted:

My NGKs came in fine from Amazon yesterday.

Yeah, ordered with them. Was just asking more in the context of who'd have the best combo of tax (as in not being charged any) and shipping cost and there may be a vendor I didn't know about.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

air- posted:

Yeah, ordered with them. Was just asking more in the context of who'd have the best combo of tax (as in not being charged any) and shipping cost and there may be a vendor I didn't know about.

Yeah, the prime shipping made them the best deal for me

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bovril Delight posted:

I'd just buy a harness and clip it into the hatch.

Yeah, that's what I use now but my doggy still likes to try and fidget. Plus my back seat is now covered with dog hair ;)

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Does anyone know if they've come out with 2012+ speaker harness connectors that don't require you to hack up the OEM ones to install aftermarket speakers?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The new tech package of the MS3 is quite... wow :stare: had no clue until I saw one in the wild!

http://reviews.cnet.com/coupe-hatchback/2013-mazda-mazdaspeed3/4505-10867_7-35555078.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

air- posted:

The new tech package of the MS3 is quite... wow :stare: had no clue until I saw one in the wild!

http://reviews.cnet.com/coupe-hatchback/2013-mazda-mazdaspeed3/4505-10867_7-35555078.html

It's not plug and play with 2010-2012's unfortunately. :/

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I currently drive an 07 3s Touring I got in April 07 and owe one more payment on it. I got an invite in the mail from a local dealer for an employee price sale. Which got me thinking about a 13 MS3. I had talked myself out it back in February thinking Id rather be car payment free. But I'm thinking I might want to take advantage of a good trade in value now rather than wait a year. I fear something might break on the 3 negating any savings on no payments. Have any of you had experience with Mazda dealer employee pricing? Does it exclude a speed 3 like all the other deals they offer? Even if it does I think I'm going to talk about what price I might be able to get on one and what they would give me for the 07. They have 4 MS3's in black listed in stock :fap: I miss turbo fun, I traded in a Mitsu GS-T for the 3.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Fingers McGee posted:

I currently drive an 07 3s Touring I got in April 07 and owe one more payment on it. I got an invite in the mail from a local dealer for an employee price sale. Which got me thinking about a 13 MS3. I had talked myself out it back in February thinking Id rather be car payment free. But I'm thinking I might want to take advantage of a good trade in value now rather than wait a year. I fear something might break on the 3 negating any savings on no payments. Have any of you had experience with Mazda dealer employee pricing? Does it exclude a speed 3 like all the other deals they offer? Even if it does I think I'm going to talk about what price I might be able to get on one and what they would give me for the 07. They have 4 MS3's in black listed in stock :fap: I miss turbo fun, I traded in a Mitsu GS-T for the 3.

Maybe. If they sent you a S-Plan pin, then you're set. I ended up buying my car via E-Plan since my stepdad worked at a Gold Cup dealer at the time (my car is an '08) and there was no set rule on excluding the MS3.

Pretty sure nowadays S-Plan is valid on the MS3. Double check on MSF, they would know better than me and probably have more recent info as my stepdad has retired. And since S-Plan works everywhere, if you play it right, you can get dealers to compete over the sale and you could walk away with a sweet deal on a nicely equipped car. I believe options apply too, so definitely get that tech package!

e:

air- fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 22, 2013

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Tonight was kind of a whirl wind, at the end there is a Mazda 3 parked in front of my apartment. But this one smells nice, has the trunk cut off and has 263hp. Pics to follow when the sun is back.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
Well, my car started smoking again despite Mazda's PCV fix. :negative:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Fingers McGee posted:

Tonight was kind of a whirl wind, at the end there is a Mazda 3 parked in front of my apartment. But this one smells nice, has the trunk cut off and has 263hp. Pics to follow when the sun is back.

Hooray for new pics!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Unfortunately all I have so far is a crappy cell phone pic. I want my friend to take some pics with his camera since its better than mine. We are going to check out some local back roads Monday Ill see about getting them done then. Although Im sure you guys know what a black 2013 looks like already. Although one good thing is its already tinted to state max from the dealer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What's the red thing on the front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Bovril Delight posted:

What's the red thing on the front?

Looks like a reflection.